PDA

View Full Version : Ferrero vs. Youzhny

Ray Mercer
06-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I was just looking at the betting odds and the oddsmakers have Ferrero as an underdog against Youzhny. I havn't seen Ferrero play in a while but he gave Federer a decent fight here in 2007 at Wimbledon. I'm just wondering if any of you have seen Ferrero play recently and how he is looking. Is there a chance the oddsmakers have this one wrong?

tacou
06-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I haven't seen Youzhny play much since breaking his face open but I'd favor JCF he's playing well

Max G.
06-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Hard to say. Youzhny's done a bit better overall this year, as evidenced by his higher ranking. They both had a pretty good grasscourt warmup at queens - JCF got to the semis, beating Grosjean, Mathieu, Malisse, and Darcis (rankings: 470, 37, 172, 73) and losing to Murray, whereas Youzhny got to the quarters, beating Hernandez, Baghdatis, and Simon (rankings: 63, 81, 7) and losing to Blake.

If you look at last year's grasscourt performances, Youzhny's is slightly better, he got to the 4th round of Wimbledon beating #15 stepanek before losing to Nadal, whereas Ferrero had a 2nd round exit to Zverev. However, Youzhny also had an early loss at Halle last year to Kiefer.

In 2007, the year Ferrero got to the Quarters and gave a good match to Federer, Youzhny had gotten to again the 4th round and lost to Nadal after being up 2 sets to love.

If Ferrero's a big underdog, then it's probably wrong. If it's a very slight underdog, it might be right. Overall, their grasscourt records over the past couple of years are similar, and currently Youzhny is ranked higher.

Mafia13
06-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Their head to head is even at 1 win a piece, with fererro's win coming on hard while youzhny has a win on clay(surprising to me, although ferrero's win on hard was in 2003 when he was arguably at his peak). Still I would favor Ferrero, he has been playing very solid tennis lately

skip1969
06-20-2009, 02:03 PM
when i looked at the draw, this was one of a couple of matches that really caught my eye.

malakas
06-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah..it's a toss up!Youzhny is in a slump and coming up slowly..Ferrero I don't know but he said himself,that he thinks he plays better than ever.
Youzhny's wins at Queen's weren't very impressive though.Hernandez on grass is a joke,Baggy was in terrible form coming back,and still he almost took a set,and Simon isn't impressive on grass and is in a slump.I think I would favour Ferrero,but it will be a great battle this one for sure.:)