PDA

View Full Version : Dr Cortorro"Nadal will be 100% in 3-4 weeks"

babbette
06-20-2009, 02:50 PM
THE BALEARIC DOCTOR trusts a GUARANTEED RECOVERY
Cotorro: "In 3 or 4 weeks, Nadal will be hundred percent"

* "He has a knee injury. It is a tendinitis of long ago. In the last few weeks had improved, but what is clear is that he is the one who has feelings and knows if you can pay at the highest level," he said on Radio MARCA

Angel Ruiz Cotorro doctor is confident Rafa Nadal. He is the doctor who has treated the subject of his battered knees in recent times and an important voice in the assessment or not their participation in Wimbledon. Cotorro speaking on Radio Marca, which stated that the decision was taken by himself and Nadal hopes that with proper rest and work, the number 1 back to the track soon and be a star of exceptional end of season.

The doctor noted in his speech Cotorro the mood of Nadal. "Today I have not spoken to Rafa. Yesterday, he was sad for not being able to play because it was what he wanted. It could not be, we must move on and prepare for the rest of the season," the doctor meant.

Cotorro gave Nadal the problem drag on his knees and said that the last word was always the player. "He has a knee injury. It is a tendinitis of long ago. In the last few weeks had improved, but what is clear is that he is the one who has feelings and knows if you can play at the highest level. I think he was honored to say if it goes 100% to try to win is not going to do. In this case, given the situation of the tournament, two weeks, to five sets matches, are obviously very tough tournament and this course demands a lot. If he does not feel ready is the first to know, "he said.

Rafa takes it a long time, but could not arrive in time to the event in London. "He had a very intensive treatment, I believe we must follow and then work with rest and physiotherapy and empowerment will be enough muscle to play Rafa again at the highest level," said Cotorro, who released a message to skippers. "From a medical point of view the circuit is very demanding, and the above is much better. I think the problem is that the matches are very tight land. The land of big tournaments take place every row, almost without rest, that is the problem. The whole circuit is a little tight," he said.

The big question now is knowing when to see Nadal at their level. "When will Nadal be100%? In 3 or 4 weeks he will be one hundred percent. This was a special circumstance for the tournament that had, in which he wished with all his strength to try and play in this situation has been reached just a little bit, " he stressed.

Rafa will talk to the doctor the next days and has very clear what his speech. "Nadal had a lot of illusion in play. When I talk with him the advice that I am going to give is to look forward, not everything ends in a single tournament or even Wimblendon, but we have to continue working and finish the rest of the season, which is the start of the season if it can be extraordinary and we must stop as "settlements.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 02:53 PM

So it was mainly tendonitis, and it was mainly a mental decision by Nadal. Oh look, Darren Cahill was right :rolleyes: I guess he knows what he's talking about after all.

babbette
06-20-2009, 02:54 PM
So it was mainly tendonitis, and it was mainly a mental decision by Nadal. Oh look, Darren Cahill was right :rolleyes: I guess he knows what he's talking about after all.
oh just zip it. Sometimes if you have nothing nice to say just say nothing at all.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 02:59 PM
oh just zip it. Sometimes if you have nothing nice to say just say nothing at all.

Not my fault Nadal fans jumped on the "hate Cahill" bandwagon. Anyways, it's not like Nadal fans are innocent of not attacking other fans / players either; need I remind you FO 2008, Wimbledon 2008, and AO 2009?

As I expected, it was just tendonitis. Something Nadal could play through if he really wanted to. He's just not mentally fit enough to go through such a thing.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 03:04 PM
He wasn't right. Nadal needs 3 to 4 weeks to fully recover. And slams take a lot physically so you have to be close to 100% to play in.

jimbo333
06-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I do not believe he will be 100% in 3 to 4 weeks, 98% maybe, but not 100%!!!

I doubt he will ever be 100% again:(

prosealster
06-20-2009, 03:17 PM
(at risk of being bashed by nadal fan)...i think it sounds like nad could have played sw19, but definitely not at 100%, or even 80% (who knows). I think he is wise taking a different route than fed last year playing thru mono, so that nadal still has some psychological edge next time he steps onto the court...rather than play sw19, lose early again..

Winners or Errors
06-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Wise decision. I don't think Nadal needs to grind week in and week out to keep or regain a #1 ranking. He achieved that goal, and I don't think his style is conducive to holding it for the kind of period Federer did. That said, I think a Nadal who takes care of himself and comes in as the #3 - #5 seed because he plays the minimum number of events would be a nightmare for Federer.

I'd like to see him play the minimum amount of tournaments, and a few smaller ones that will be easier on his body, using them as Federer does as mere practice for the majors. Frankly, if he wins 1 or 2 slams a year for the next 4 years, it will be much more valuable to him in the long run than holding the top ranking. If he goes deep into every tournament he enters because he's taking better care of himself, he's still going to hold on to enough ranking points to be in the top 5.

That way, we can enjoy his tennis at events we actually want to watch for at least 5 more years. Tennis will be boring without him. He has a unique game that frustrates the heck out of all of his opponents when he's fit...

bizarre_opinion
06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
well it just exposes how mentally weak nadal really is. It's obvious now that the soderling defeat has killed him off psychologically. Also, it just show's how much respect he has for wimbledon and his fan's. Sad situation, very sad. I thought nadal would be the last person to pull a stunt like this.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 03:57 PM
well it just exposes how mentally weak nadal really is. It's obvious now that the soderling defeat has killed him off psychologically. Also, it just show's how much respect he has for wimbledon and his fan's. Sad situation, very sad. I thought nadal would be the last person to pull a stunt like this.
You are the biggest Nadal hater on this board. You find every little thing possible to rip on Nadal.

Serendipitous
06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Good luck, Rafa. I hope you get better. :(:cry::cry::(

luckyboy1300
06-20-2009, 04:03 PM
yes, he can recover in that amount of time. but, given what has happened this year, that can go back again in the same amount of time. the frequency of recurrence is quite alarming this year. he was bothered by that already at year-end last year, then after the ao, and then now, at the most important grand slam swing of the year. he really needs proper scheduling, something that a 30 and above years old player would do in order to stay longer at the top. and it's sad he has to do it in his age.

Joseph L. Barrow
06-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Good to hear. It would be a real disappointment to see Nadal's career already on a permanent downturn at such an early stage.

ChanceEncounter
06-20-2009, 04:10 PM
He wasn't right. Nadal needs 3 to 4 weeks to fully recover. And slams take a lot physically so you have to be close to 100% to play in.
He was right. Cite my passage in the Cahill thread as proof. He explicitly said that it was tendonitis and it was similar to Nadal breaking down in years past.

Nadal's doctor so much as guaranteed that Nadal would get better. Why? Because it's fairly routine tendonitis. Tendonitis can flare up and cause trouble, but it's nothing that Nadal has never felt before. The reason Nadal is not playing Wimbledon is due to BOTH the tendonitis and the mental component. He even says so himself, and said that he would only play if he was 100% mentally and physically. He's not.

BullDogTennis
06-20-2009, 04:15 PM

blah, didnt federer play with mono? id rather be playin with a bum knee than being able to not hardly stand up without getting sick. nadal is a pansy, and is mentally weak. face it. if federer did somethin like this he'd be more known as a terrible competitor.

imjimmy
06-20-2009, 05:29 PM

That's a dreadful post, and devoid of any logic.

CyBorg
06-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Interesting. Rafa may be in better shape than usual for the US Open.

sh@de
06-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't care what it takes or how long it takes or whatever. I want Rafa back!

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Very true; this will be interesting how he plans out his hardcourt schedule. I expect him to cut out the Canadian Masters simply because it doesn't play anything like the USO. He will most likely focus on Cincinnati, which has similar conditions to the USO.

bolo
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
nothing new here. we knew it was tendonitis when the test results came back. Obviously from nadal's comments the pain has gotten to the level where it was affecting his playing.

edmondsm
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM

I have to think that that was a big motivator for skipping Wimbledon. He's got a chance to complete the career slam in New York. No sense risking that along with his long term health just to have a go at Wimbledon. He wasn't even beating Hewitt and Wawrinka, so he was going to lose early at Wimbledon anyway. Good decision.

MichaelNadal
06-20-2009, 06:47 PM

I hope he comes out gunz blazing and wins.

pame
06-20-2009, 07:15 PM
You are the biggest Nadal hater on this board. You find every little thing possible to rip on Nadal.

How ironic a statement judging from your posts. Substitute "Federer" for Nadal, and I think we can safely say "Pot, meet kettle" :shock:

rommil
06-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Let's just hope his body can keep up with his greed...

tahiti
06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Not my fault Nadal fans jumped on the "hate Cahill" bandwagon. Anyways, it's not like Nadal fans are innocent of not attacking other fans / players either; need I remind you FO 2008, Wimbledon 2008, and AO 2009? As I expected, it was just tendonitis. Something Nadal could play through if he really wanted to. He's just not mentally fit enough to go through such a thing.

Poor little namRanger. It's rather childish don't you think to say, yeah but you/they did this and they did that.... :cry::cry:

Tell me NamRanger. Have you played in a tournament, going in knowing you had a weaker physical area with a long term injury you've been fighting? And when it became painful when you put effort into your match did you concentrate on the match or did the pain speak to you more?

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Very true; this will be interesting how he plans out his hardcourt schedule. I expect him to cut out the Canadian Masters simply because it doesn't play anything like the USO. He will most likely focus on Cincinnati, which has similar conditions to the USO.

It does, NamRanger. It's the exact same surface made to the same specifications. DecoTurf makes both courts, and all the courts for the USO and the USO Series.

A lot of USO champs have won the Canada Masters, usually the in the same season.

Cincinnati is also made by DecoTurf, so it's good practice too.

NamRanger
06-21-2009, 12:24 AM
It does, NamRanger. It's the exact same surface made to the same specifications. DecoTurf makes both courts, and all the courts for the USO and the USO Series.

A lot of USO champs have won the Canada Masters, usually the in the same season.

Cincinnati is also made by DecoTurf, so it's good practice too.

The Canada Masters is way cooler, which results in a much slower surface. Their HC by far is way grittier too; it takes spin really well there. Cincinnati is blindingly fast, even faster than the USO due to the heat. The Canada Masters is a HC, but by no means does it play anywhere similar to the USO. Cincinnati is a better warm-up tournament for the USO.

NamRanger
06-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Poor little namRanger. It's rather childish don't you think to say, yeah but you/they did this and they did that.... :cry::cry:

Tell me NamRanger. Have you played in a tournament, going in knowing you had a weaker physical area with a long term injury you've been fighting? And when it became painful when you put effort into your match did you concentrate on the match or did the pain speak to you more?

I've had tendonitis before. And I've played through it. You think Nadal didn't have tendonitis in the Wimbledon 2007 final? I am 100% sure he did. And guess what. He nearly beat Federer.

Cry cry cry. I'm sorry your hero Nadal can't take a little knee pain. I'm pretty sure it's alot harder to play with mono then tendonitis.

It's not childish at all to be giving Nadal fans a piece of their own medicine. I told them upfront not to be asses. They continued, and this is what they get. It's called Poetic Justice.

malakas
06-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Is this translated from spanish??
when I talk with him the advice that I am going to give is to look forward, not everything ends in a single tournament or even Wimblendon, but we have to continue working and finish the rest of the season, which is the start of the season if it can be extraordinary and we must stop as "settlements.

what he meant here?The start of the season?:confused:

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 11:42 AM
The Canada Masters is way cooler, which results in a much slower surface. Their HC by far is way grittier too; it takes spin really well there. Cincinnati is blindingly fast, even faster than the USO due to the heat. The Canada Masters is a HC, but by no means does it play anywhere similar to the USO. Cincinnati is a better warm-up tournament for the USO.

No, no, no... it's the exact same. I've played on those courts before. It's not way cooler. It gets to be blazing hot in the summer, I don't get where you get this "cooler" fact from?

And the court is not grittier, where'd you get that fact from?

It's the exact same as the USO and Cincinnati. Check DecoTurf's website.

Are you saying all this because Nadal is a 2 time champion at the Canada Masters? Get that bias out of your head and check the list of former champions. It's a list of who's-who of hard-courters and USO/AO Champs.

Nadal_Freak
06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
No, no, no... it's the exact same. I've played on those courts before. It's not way cooler. It gets to be blazing hot in the summer, I don't get where you get this "cooler" fact from?

And the court is not grittier, where'd you get that fact from?

It's the exact same as the USO and Cincinnati. Check DecoTurf's website.

Are you saying all this because Nadal is a 2 time champion at the Canada Masters? Get that bias out of your head and check the list of former champions. It's a list of who's-who of hard-courters and USO/AO Champs.
Haven't you heard. Every tournament Nadal wins is considered Moonballer's paradise. Madrid Masters of 2005 as proof. lol

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Haven't you heard. Every tournament Nadal wins is considered Moonballer's paradise. Madrid Masters of 2005 as proof. lol

I can guarantee you if Nadal won Cincinnati 2 times instead of the Canada Masters, we'd be hearing a whole different story.

Oh, and didn't you hear? Madrid Masters was played indoors, but instead of turning on the air-conditioning like they normally would, they played the whole thing in freezing conditions to favor Nadal.

Oh, and it was played on a "gritty" hardcourt (the whole thing was actually made of grits, a delicious southern dish), and an extremely low altitude. The whole thing was played 10,000 leagues below the sea, in fact.

Noveson
06-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I've had tendonitis before. And I've played through it. You think Nadal didn't have tendonitis in the Wimbledon 2007 final? I am 100% sure he did. And guess what. He nearly beat Federer.

Cry cry cry. I'm sorry your hero Nadal can't take a little knee pain. I'm pretty sure it's alot harder to play with mono then tendonitis.

It's not childish at all to be giving Nadal fans a piece of their own medicine. I told them upfront not to be asses. They continued, and this is what they get. It's called Poetic Justice.

:rolleyes: Get over yourself you baby. Poetic Justice my ***. It's called a 50 year-old man getting upset when his favorite player gets attacked.

tintin
06-21-2009, 11:54 AM
he needs to simply play less than he has this hard court and clay court seasons
Nadal played every bloody tournament on clay on the planet

joeri888
06-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Haven't you heard. Every clay tournament Rafa ever lost is considered fake clay. RG 2009, Hamburg 2007 and Madrid 2009 as proof. lol

malakas
06-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Haven't you heard. Every clay tournament Rafa ever lost is considered fake clay. RG 2009, Hamburg 2007 and Madrid 2009 as proof. lol

quoted for truth.

zagor
06-21-2009, 12:17 PM

I just googled Toronto slow HC and actually your own posts popped out saying it might be the slowest HC around:

Toronto is a very slow hardcourt. US Open is not that bad either. Cincinnati, Madrid, and Shanghai are the fast hardcourts that give Nadal problems. Even than, Nadal has won Madrid, got to the semis of Shanghai twice, and to the Semis of Cincinnati once.

So it looks like Toronto could be the slowest hardcourt if it continues to play like it did in 2006. Miami is not that slow btw based on these stats.

Nadal can win on fast surfaces:Queens,Madrid,Olympics etc. However I always heard Toronto/Montreal was a slow HC during 90s,maybe that changed but I doubt it.Cinncinati always played fast and Sampras was quite succesful on it.

icedevil0289
06-21-2009, 12:20 PM
:rolleyes: Get over yourself you baby. Poetic Justice my ***. It's called a 50 year-old man getting upset when his favorite player gets attacked.

I'm pretty sure namranger's favorite player is roddick.

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 12:22 PM

YEAH!

Oh, and you forgot
Sopot 2004
Brasil Open 2005
Acapulco 2005
Monte Carlo 2005
Barcelona 2005
Rome 2005
RG 2005
Swedish Open 2005
Stuttgart 2005
Monte Carlo 2006
Barcelona 2006
Rome 2006
French Open 2006
Monte Carlo 2007
Barcelona 2007
Rome 2007
French Open 2007
Monte Carlo 2008
Barcelona
Hamburg 2008
French Open 2008
Monte Carlo 2009
Barcelona 2009
Rome 2009

All fake clay, too!! LOLZZZZZ

joeri888
06-21-2009, 12:24 PM
YEAH!

Oh, and you forgot
Sopot 2004
Brasil Open 2005
Acapulco 2005
Monte Carlo 2005
Barcelona 2005
Rome 2005
RG 2005
Swedish Open 2005
Stuttgart 2005
Monte Carlo 2006
Barcelona 2006
Rome 2006
French Open 2006
Monte Carlo 2007
Barcelona 2007
Rome 2007
French Open 2007
Monte Carlo 2008
Barcelona
Hamburg 2008
French Open 2008
Monte Carlo 2009
Barcelona 2009
Rome 2009

All fake clay, too!! LOLZZZZZRafa won them, so probably real clay.

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 12:24 PM
However I always heard Toronto/Montreal was a slow HC during 90s,maybe that changed but I doubt it.Cinncinati always played fast and Sampras was quite succesful on it.

Canada Masters is the exact same as USO. It's made by DecoTurf to the EXACT SAME specifications as the USO courts.

Cincinnati and the rest of the USO Series are also the EXACT SAME as the USO courts.

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Rafa won them, so probably real clay.

Yeah, you're probably right because losing in 2 finals to one of the best players of all time is the exact same as losing to a complete no-name when it comes to clay in the 4th round of a tournament where flat-hitting hard courters made it to the semi-finals/finals.

zagor
06-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Canada Masters is the exact same as USO. It's made by DecoTurf to the EXACT SAME specifications as the USO courts.

Cincinnati and the rest of the USO Series are also the EXACT SAME as the USO courts.

So you're basically saying that Toronto and Cinncinati play exactly the same? Not what I always heard but doesn't matter that much anyway.

bhallic24
06-21-2009, 12:31 PM
how bout tell him to see a psychiatrist as this "injury" is obviously much more in his head than in his body. He's afflicted with psychosomatization disorder from his embarrassing loss to Soderling in the French.

Nadal_Freak
06-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I just googled Toronto slow HC and actually your own posts popped out saying it might be the slowest HC around:

Nadal can win on fast surfaces:Queens,Madrid,Olympics etc. However I always heard Toronto/Montreal was a slow HC during 90s,maybe that changed but I doubt it.Cinncinati always played fast and Sampras was quite succesful on it.
Nadal won Montreal as well. I mentioned Montreal is much faster than Toronto if you checked.

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 12:32 PM
So you're basically saying that Toronto and Cinncinati play exactly the same? Not what I always heard but doesn't matter that much anyway.

Go to DecoTurf's website if you want proof.

zagor
06-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Nadal won Montreal as well. I mentioned Montreal is much faster than Toronto if you checked.

Okay,as I said Nadal did win on faster courts,atleast fast courts that are available today(no carpet anymore).

Nadal_Freak
06-21-2009, 12:34 PM
The best proof was in Beijing where they used the same courts and same tennis balls to encourage players to come to the Olympics.

PED
06-21-2009, 12:41 PM

The historical average temp for August for Toronto is 77 degrees. The average August temp for Cincy is 86. Although I would have thought it would have been more, I believe that would be an impact on Cincy playing faster-all other factors including surface being equal. You make some good points. :)

TennisandMusic
06-21-2009, 12:48 PM

No he wasn't. Cahill said Nadal was "fine" and that he was mentally unable to play. Nadal couldn't move or bend. He was NOT fine. Maybe he wasn't "terrible" but he wasn't going to win the tournament, so better to fully recover rather than keep exacerbating the problem, lose, and then still be badly off for the hard court season.

Where on earth do you get your conclusion from that poorly translated article anyway? Nowhere does it state "Nadal is in perfect condition to play, he just doesn't want too." It clearly states 1 month for recovery, which is the time period Nadal gave when he pulled out.

You're just trying to stir up trouble by making giant leaps in logic. Cahill was completely wrong.

veroniquem
06-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Good luck, Rafa. I hope you get better. :(:cry::cry::(
3 to 4 weeks is wonderful news. First time he will be fresh for the hard court summer season!

veroniquem
06-21-2009, 12:56 PM
No he wasn't. Cahill said Nadal was "fine" and that he was mentally unable to play. Nadal couldn't move or bend. He was NOT fine. Maybe he wasn't "terrible" but he wasn't going to win the tournament, so better to fully recover rather than keep exacerbating the problem, lose, and then still be badly off for the hard court season.

Where on earth do you get your conclusion from that poorly translated article anyway? Nowhere does it state "Nadal is in perfect condition to play, he just doesn't want too." It clearly states 1 month for recovery, which is the time period Nadal gave when he pulled out.

You're just trying to stir up trouble by making giant leaps in logic. Cahill was completely wrong.
It's not like Nadal is renowned for his "weak mental" and habit of "chickening out " in front of adversity!
Of course, his tendonitis has a mental impact (as Toni said, he's more worried about his knee than what is happening on the court) but implying that the mental difficulties prevail or are not directly related to the physical disturbance is plain silly.

T. H. Park
06-21-2009, 01:22 PM
This is what's going to be funny and stupid at the same time:

Scenario 1:
Rafa recovers "fully" ready for the USO. He says in his interviews he is fine. He goes deep. He wins the open. Response by Rafa fans: "see when he is 100% then no-one can beat him ..."

Scenario 2:
Rafa recovers "fully" ready for the USO. He says in his interviews he is fine. He loses during the first week. He kind of says, after the loss, that he wasn't feeling the ball, was making too many short shots, and made it "easy" for "Toddlering." Response by Rafa fans: "The only reason he lost is because he was not 100% fit and his knees are not fully functional."

Am I right?

Nadal_Freak
06-21-2009, 01:25 PM
This is what's going to be funny and stupid at the same time:

Scenario 1:
Rafa recovers "fully" ready for the USO. He says in his interviews he is fine. He goes deep. He wins the open. Response by Rafa fans: "see when he is 100% then no-one can beat him ..."

Scenario 2:
Rafa recovers "fully" ready for the USO. He says in his interviews he is fine. He loses during the first week. He kind of says, after the loss, that he wasn't feeling the ball, was making too many short shots, and made it "easy" for "Toddlering." Response by Rafa fans: "The only reason he lost is because he was not 100% fit and his knees are not fully functional."

Am I right?
No you are not.

Cyan
06-21-2009, 01:47 PM
The best proof was in Beijing where they used the same courts and same tennis balls to encourage players to come to the Olympics.

Exactly..................

bizarre_opinion
06-21-2009, 01:59 PM
boy, are the *******s in denial about nadal's mental state.

T. H. Park
06-21-2009, 08:18 PM
No you are not.

OK, then tell me what it's going to be. What will be your opinion when Rafa

1.Wins AND says he is feeling fine BEFORE the match

2.Loses early AND says he is feeling fine BEFORE the match

3.Loses deep into the draw AND says he is feeling fine BEFORE the match

I can predict what you are going to say pretty easily.

1.See, he won because he is "100%"
2.See, he lost because he is not "100%"
3.See, when he won before he lost he was "100%" but dropped in the final match

No?

Nadal_Freak
06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
OK, then tell me what it's going to be. What will be your opinion when Rafa

1.Wins AND says he is feeling fine BEFORE the match

2.Loses early AND says he is feeling fine BEFORE the match

3.Loses deep into the draw AND says he is feeling fine BEFORE the match

I can predict what you are going to say pretty easily.

1.See, he won because he is "100%"
2.See, he lost because he is not "100%"
3.See, when he won before he lost he was "100%" but dropped in the final match

No?
I don't know what my reaction would be but I'm more likely to try to prove that Nadal is 100% now to prove all the haters that Nadal isn't done.

rommil
06-21-2009, 08:54 PM
I don't know what my reaction would be but I'm more likely to try to prove that Nadal is 100% now to prove all the haters that Nadal isn't done.

Wait 'til Nadal's body can handle his greed again and I'm sure you will be rubbing it on to our faces

FiveO
06-22-2009, 03:08 AM

A possibility. And perhaps part of Uncle Toni's master plan to attain a career slam.

But on another note. Tendonitis is a fickle thing, often taking twice as long to beat than to develop. That this appears to have manifested itself with Rafa annually, chronically for several years, I think leaves room for much greater concern. Chronic tendonitis leads to scar tissue. If so the only long term corrective measure is surgery: no small thing. In light of this latest bout rearing its ugly head so early in the year and became so bad as to force sacrificing the defense of the title Rafa has said was the most important, I think it may bode more badly, and far worse than the good Doctor's optimistic prognosis.

I'm not intimating that this is the end for Rafa, but I think reactions like "its just tendonitis" are more than a little unrealistic. Patrick Rafter walked away by most reactions, prematurely, giving the reason that he wanted to be able to walk without a limp later in life. I hope it's not that bad for Rafa, I just think that the potential seriousness of tendonitis, particularly in the knees, and particularly in a player of Rafa's ilk, is being glossed over here.

CCNM
06-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Wise decision. I don't think Nadal needs to grind week in and week out to keep or regain a #1 ranking. He achieved that goal, and I don't think his style is conducive to holding it for the kind of period Federer did. That said, I think a Nadal who takes care of himself and comes in as the #3 - #5 seed because he plays the minimum number of events would be a nightmare for Federer.

I'd like to see him play the minimum amount of tournaments, and a few smaller ones that will be easier on his body, using them as Federer does as mere practice for the majors. Frankly, if he wins 1 or 2 slams a year for the next 4 years, it will be much more valuable to him in the long run than holding the top ranking. If he goes deep into every tournament he enters because he's taking better care of himself, he's still going to hold on to enough ranking points to be in the top 5.

That way, we can enjoy his tennis at events we actually want to watch for at least 5 more years. Tennis will be boring without him. He has a unique game that frustrates the heck out of all of his opponents when he's fit...
Good post^

T. H. Park
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM

That is my point. Your reaction should simply be: the other guy played too good for Rafa that day. Best player won. Period. Get it? I guess you don't.

Soderling soundly beat Rafa at RG 09. It was not because Rafa was not 100%. It may have been that Rafa was not 100% - that's his problem. He did just fine in the earlier rounds. Soderling would've beaten the best version of Rafa on that day had the best version of Soderling shown up that day.

BTW Rafa is not 100% now. That is why he pulled out. He may return to 100% at the USO but that 100% will drop again due to his chronic knee problems. So unless you have a one match tournament with one set only, you will basically never see a consistent 100% Rafa - that is TOTAL BS.

But that's the whole point. He never was or is ever going to be 100%. What in the world does 100% even mean? You do your best on a given day and you beat your opponent if you play better. If you are not "100%" you somehow find a solution with your options, backup plans, etc. that you have. This is the primary reason I say Rafa is one-dimensional. If that one dimension fails, he basically fails as he has not other "reliable and effective" dimension to jump to. End of story.

slicefox
06-22-2009, 02:26 PM

actually a valid point

nadal was supposed to be "tough boy" and never pull out

random guy
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know if you're aware but the name Dr Cotorro is kinda of funny in spanish. Is like saying Dr Parrot or Dr Chatterbox or something like that lol.

Aabye
06-22-2009, 05:52 PM
actually a valid point

nadal was supposed to be "tough boy" and never pull out

No, not never. Just only when absolutely necessary.

GameSampras
06-22-2009, 06:04 PM
If Nadal were smart he was just turn to the "slam guy" kind of like how Roger is now. All emphasis place purely on the slams instead of the week in week out grind and meangingless tourneys. Then hopefully, he wont be sitting in a wheelchair at a retirement home at 26 years old.

Terrible scheduling by Nadal and his group. After winning the AO, playing the longest match in AO history then going 5 sets with Roger, next thing u know 5 days later he is on the court playing again.

The-Champ
06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
That is my point. Your reaction should simply be: the other guy played too good for Rafa that day. Best player won. Period. Get it? I guess you don't.

Soderling soundly beat Rafa at RG 09. It was not because Rafa was not 100%. It may have been that Rafa was not 100% - that's his problem. He did just fine in the earlier rounds. Soderling would've beaten the best version of Rafa on that day had the best version of Soderling shown up that day.

How the hell do you know that? Where are Söderlings FO slams? When rafa is playing his best on clay, Söderling eats bagels and breadsticks. If he ever faces Nadal at RG again and can produce the same result, then you might have a case, otherwise that was a freakin fluke.

That would be like saying Nadal is superior to Federer on HC because he beat him this year at the AO, or Nadal is superior to Federer on grass because he beat him last year.

T. H. Park
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
How the hell do you know that? Where are Söderlings FO slams? When rafa is playing his best on clay, Söderling eats bagels and breadsticks.

Because Soderling won that match and HE went to the finals of RG 09. Rafa fell out in the quarters. What more proof do you need? Why are we comparing slams anyway? Rafa is light years away w.r.t. Soderling in terms of slams and accomplishments. That is not the issue here is it?

If he ever faces Nadal at RG again and can produce the same result, then you might have a case, otherwise that was a freakin fluke.

You do somewhat have a point I must say. But you are way to harsh to call it a fluke. I did not say Soderling will now win x number of slams. He many never win any for that matter. Soderling beat a lot of good players on the way to the finals (Ferrer, Davy, Gonzo, etc.), and as far as I am concerned he beat the best clay court player ever very convincingly. No fluke. No such thing as fluke IF you get to the finals. You play 2 weeks of competitive tennis. One match, maybe, but one match in a 5-setter? Flukes are basically impossible. That's why Federer and Nadal are usually so much better than everyone else at GSs - they are 5-setters.

That would be like saying Nadal is superior to Federer on HC because he beat him this year at the AO, or Nadal is superior to Federer on grass because he beat him last year.

Of course Rafa has the upper hand when those two play - on any court. This was proven. The results speak for themselves. The last few times they have met Rafa has won. Simple fact. Also simple fact is that Nadal did not win RG 09 nor will he win Wimbledon 09. His chances for USO 09 is also not good as he has never gone to the finals and on top of that, as far as his record is concerned, he is having the most terrible one in his career.

So, yes, Rafa was ahead of Federer until RG 09, but after and during RG 09, not so any more. Yes?