PDA

View Full Version : Gulbis Must Make his Move

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Gulbis appears to be of the streaky type. Like many young players before him, he plays promising matches and then when he needs to step up and perform he disappoints.

But his last match at Wimbledon was far from disappointing. He won the first set and played a very convincing 3rd set to no less than Rafael Nadal, who went on to win the championship.

Watch the highlights here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H7CzU5xPe8

He used perfect drop shots, served better than Nadal and had beautiful on the run FHs.

He is only 20 now and still has some time to put it together and take the leap sometime.

I enjoy watching him play, and I am hoping he can add some mental toughness and focus to his talent and go deeper this time.

http://www.federtennis.it/upload/pop_gulbis_f7c0022.jpg

Serendipitous
06-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Great thread!

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who enjoys seeing him play! :)

His mental toughness is definitely something he needs to work on. He lost so many heart-breaking matches last year.....and this year, too........

RCizzle65
06-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes I think he really needs to get his act together, he has great talent, although he doesn't seem to be the person that is passionate about tennis and possibly breaking records, but lets hope he proves that wrong!

tacou
06-20-2009, 08:52 PM
he's sucked this year. it would be nice to see him do well in a slam ala French last year.

his talent level is insane but he's already becoming more of a frustration than a playeri I enjoy watching i.e. Safin, RIchard

dincuss
06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Favorite Player:
Yes Please.

anyways i want him to win it.

CanadianChic
06-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I believe he will make his move into Round 2. I think that's all the 'moving' he'll be doing this tourney.

120mphBodyServe
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
This guy has the game to be No1.
If only he has the desire and focus...

slicefox
06-20-2009, 11:14 PM
omg he was such beast at in that match.

deep shots right on the lines. and people were calling murray the best shotmaker?

gulbis > murray

rockbox
06-21-2009, 12:22 AM
I think the problem for Gulbis is that he doesn't want it enough. He comes from a RICH upbringing which I think takes away from his drive. Most elite athletes either are born with a insane competitive drive like Tiger, MJ, Kobe, or Federer or they come from a modest upbringing like the most basketball and soccer players. Something drives them and Gulbis doesn't have it.

icestorm
06-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Gulbis is ready to explode and is due for a SLAM win. Once that happens, he is on his way to GOAT status.

joeri888
06-21-2009, 02:12 AM
omg he was such beast at in that match.

deep shots right on the lines. and people were calling murray the best shotmaker?

gulbis > murray

Who has ever called MUrray the best shotmaker?:-? The best shotmaker in history's still playing, he actually won the last slam.

Hope Gulbis does well and gives Murray a run for his money, but I don't expect him to.

TennisFan481
06-21-2009, 02:49 AM
I expect Gulbis to make a run at Murray...why not? Yes, he's played poor so far this year, but who has he been playing? What has his motivation been?

This is Wimbledon...a rich kid's dream tournament to win. He has the game...and he'll have an opponent that will motivate him to try really hard. If he gets to round 2, I think Murray's going to at least be sweating bullets.

Kegzz
06-21-2009, 03:20 AM
I think he could've made his mark, but he always seemed to meet players that were ranked within the Top 5-10 in like the second round or so.

jamesblakefan#1
06-21-2009, 03:29 AM
I think the problem for Gulbis is that he doesn't want it enough. He comes from a RICH upbringing which I think takes away from his drive. Most elite athletes either are born with a insane competitive drive like Tiger, MJ, Kobe, or Federer or they come from a modest upbringing like the most basketball and soccer players. Something drives them and Gulbis doesn't have it.

But didn't McEnroe, if I remember correctly, come up in a wealthy family. And he still had the competitive fire and drive that Gulbis apparently does not. If a guy doesn't have the fire, it's not always because he grows up in a lazzie-faire, rich sort of environment. Even if you grow up in that, at some point your pride has to kick in as a pro and you have to want to live up to the expectations placed on you and not be labeled a failure.

It could be that Gulbis just doesn't have that "it" in him-that it that is needed to be a great player, what separates good players from great ones. And that's not necessarily b/c he was born rich. Kobe, one of the guys you mentioned, was born into wealth. His dad was a NBA player and played in Italy as well. Kobe grew up part of his life in Italy. So he was definetly not a modest upbringing. It may be as you say, some guys just have it and some guys don't.

vive le beau jeu !
06-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Gulbis appears to be of the streaky type. Like many young players before him, he plays promising matches and then when he needs to step up and perform he disappoints.

But his last match at Wimbledon was far from disappointing. He won the first set and played a very convincing 3rd set to no less than Rafael Nadal, who went on to win the championship.

Watch the highlights here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H7CzU5xPe8

He used perfect drop shots, served better than Nadal and had beautiful on the run FHs.

He is only 20 now and still has some time to put it together and take the leap sometime.

I enjoy watching him play, and I am hoping he can add some mental toughness and focus to his talent and go deeper this time.

http://www.federtennis.it/upload/pop_gulbis_f7c0022.jpg
time to get better results after a disappointing start in 2009.
i would like to see him reach the 4th round and play safin... that could be an entertaining match ! :)

Ratsoup
06-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Yeah, Gulbis is a cool kid, fun to watch and everything. He has a lot of potential. I haven't actually had the pleasure of watching him play, at least not a whole match. But you can't really see what someone is made of from a youtube fast forward highlights video against Nadal. Playing Nadal the most points you loose against him don't match the "highlights" criteria. Hope he makes it into the big boys tho.

tacou
06-21-2009, 10:52 AM
time to get better results after a disappointing start in 2009.
i would like to see him reach the 4th round and play safin... that could be an entertaining match ! :)

yes that'd be a match and a half !

zagor
06-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Well I've liked his game ever since USO 2007 and the way he played at the beginning of the match against Nadal in Wimbledon last year was amazing,it was such a great display of power and finesse in that first set.His results are really bad lately but hopefully he picks it up,he has a very entertaining game IMO.

navratilovafan
06-21-2009, 12:20 PM
He is just a brainless basher. His only ability is hitting the ball hard which might be enough if he had any semblance of consistency of keeping his shots in court which unfortunately he has none of. He is going to go down as a male Mirajana Lucic.

rockbox
06-21-2009, 01:45 PM
But didn't McEnroe, if I remember correctly, come up in a wealthy family. And he still had the competitive fire and drive that Gulbis apparently does not. If a guy doesn't have the fire, it's not always because he grows up in a lazzie-faire, rich sort of environment. Even if you grow up in that, at some point your pride has to kick in as a pro and you have to want to live up to the expectations placed on you and not be labeled a failure.

It could be that Gulbis just doesn't have that "it" in him-that it that is needed to be a great player, what separates good players from great ones. And that's not necessarily b/c he was born rich. Kobe, one of the guys you mentioned, was born into wealth. His dad was a NBA player and played in Italy as well. Kobe grew up part of his life in Italy. So he was definetly not a modest upbringing. It may be as you say, some guys just have it and some guys don't.

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I just think Gulbis doesn't have the drive or we would have seen it by now. People usually get the drive from being poor or just being ridiculously competitive from early life. Mac and Kobe would fit in the latter category. If Gulbis was ridiculously competitive like Mac, Federer, or Kobe, it would have shown by now.

Gulbis is also in another category of rich. He flies around in private jets. He has a plan B while most other athletes don't.

Cindysphinx
06-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Oh, Gulbis is such a tease!!! I just love watching him, but I hardly get the chance because he goes out so early.

Nah, not this year. Maybe next year . . . .

Sup2Dresq
06-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Gulbis has been hitting it too flat.. ala Shcmad... poor kid is a mental midget at the moment.

Very enjoyable to watch. I saw him at the Miami Open a while back and was impressed. Have video if people are interested.

Edit: Here is the video. Enjoy.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/SonyEricsson08/th_SonyMiami08054.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/SonyEricsson08/?action=view&current=SonyMiami08054.flv)

ChanceEncounter
06-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Tremendous talent, and I hope he does well, but since he draws Murray 2nd round, it's another early exit for him.