PDA

View Full Version : Federer: My Bold Prediction

Conquistador
06-20-2009, 08:54 PM
In case anyone missed it, in a thread before the French Open, I said Federer WILL NOT lose in a grand slam match the rest of the year, everyone laughed at me. I just wanted to say whos laughing now. I knew a lot when I saw Federer play before the French Open. I saw a healthy Federer with a big forehand and a great defensive game. Add in a Federer with a good service game, and you have Federer ascending to World Number 1. When I watch Roger, esepcially in his French win, he just looks confident and unnerved, as long as he keeps his pace of play up-anything is possible for the Swiss. Federer WILL NOT lose another Grand Slam match this year.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
In case anyone missed it, in a thread before the French Open, I said Federer WILL NOT lose in a grand slam match the rest of the year, everyone laughed at me. I just wanted to say whos laughing now. I knew a lot when I saw Federer play before the French Open. I saw a healthy Federer with a big forehand and a great defensive game. Add in a Federer with a good service game, and you have Federer ascending to World Number 1. When I watch Roger, esepcially in his French win, he just looks confident and unnerved, as long as he keeps his pace of play up-anything is possible for the Swiss. Federer WILL NOT lose another Grand Slam match this year.

Sigh. Sometimes I really wish Federer would lose a match just so that you would go away. But then I think of how many Nadal trolls would come out en masse, then I just say "I'll just take Conquistador, the lesser of two evils."

Conquistador
06-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Sigh. Sometimes I really wish Federer would lose a match just so that you would go away. But then I think of how many Nadal trolls would come out en masse, then I just say "I'll just take Conquistador, the lesser of two evils."

As long as he doesnt have to play Nadal, you dont have to worry about that happenning. LOL

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 09:03 PM
As long as he doesnt have to play Nadal, you dont have to worry about that happenning. LOL

I'm almost 100% sure you were biting your teeth when he was 4 points from defeat against Haas, and Del Potro was man handling him for 3 sets. Heck, I didn't even see you around. The only time you reappear on these forums is when Federer is playing well.

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Some people do worse than disappearing.

They turn around and cheer the other camp.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Did you predict Nadal's knees would go out this year as well? That is the only way Fed could achieve this. Nadal at 100% owns Federer.

Conquistador
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM

At least I have respect for players such as Nadal. Nadal is a classy sportsman and deserves every accomplishment he has received. Most Federer fans like myself are classy and show sportsmanship and respect for past champions and fellow competitors. Nadal will always be high on my list because he is a good role model that every human should try to be like.

Conquistador
06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Did you predict Nadal's knees would go out this year as well? That is the only way Fed could achieve this. Nadal at 100% owns Federer.

I couldnt disagree more. If Nadal and Federer played 101 times. Federer would have 51 and Nadal with 50. They are closer than ever at top health, but you have to give Federer the advantage. Hes just better.

lawrence
06-20-2009, 09:20 PM

sorry the only times nadal has owned federer is on fake-clay and fake-grass, as well as fake-hardcourt
some sort of messed up material nadal has crafted in order to gain an unfair advantage

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 09:23 PM

There's quite a bit of difference. I didn't "cheer" for the other camp. I simply stated that Federer fans need to just admit Nadal beat Federer on a HC slam. *gasp*. Oh, and Federer crying was abit pathetic to be honest, when you consider he did kind of give up in the 5th. However, Federer did exactly what I said he needed to do. He won the FO. That showed that in his darkest hour, he was able to recover from it, and show that he isn't mentally frail. In fact, he's probably just as mentally strong as Nadal IMO.

Heck, I felt quite happy for a few Nadal fans because they've been getting their heads knocked in by the oldschool Federer trolls (*cough* BP *cough*) for 4-5 years running outside the clay season.

However, as days, weeks, and months went by, the Nadal fans decided to bash not just Federer fans on a fan level (which was of course going to happen), they decided to personally attack Federer and his fans as human beings. That's when they crossed the line.

BigServer1
06-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Stop this. Seriously.

It's impossible to argue this with you, but you are speaking fallacies. Nadal has played most of their matches at 100% health and he's lost 7 matches. Being tired is one thing, but it's entirely different from being unfit to play.

I'd also remind you that Federer and Nadal have NEVER met on fast American hard courts, which is a matchup that greatly favors Federer. IF Nadal had been good enough at the US Open to make a couple finals, their h2h would look entirely different.

Federer is looked down upon because he has been the second best clay court player of this generation, playing behind one of the greats of all time on the surface. Nadal unfortunately can't say the same about hard courts, at least not yet.

OTMPut
06-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Sorry no one can own Fed when he is 100%. He owns the world.
Whenever Nadal defeated him, he was obviously not at his 100%. That was the only reason why Nadal could get his majors. Fed was not at his 100% at all.

OTMPut
06-20-2009, 09:44 PM
^^ i should cite the shoulders of the giants such as NF i am standing on.
The argument is 100% based on NF's argument on Nadal's invincibility when he is 100%.

BigServer1
06-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry no one can own Fed when he is 100%. He owns the world.
Whenever Nadal defeated him, he was obviously not at his 100%. That was the only reason why Nadal could get his majors. Fed was not at his 100% at all.

This sounds just as ridiculous as N_F. Nadal at 100% owns Federer at 100% on clay for sure, though it's competitive.

Grass and Fast HCs I would give 100% Fed the edge. Slow HCs is probably anyone's guess.

BigServer1
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
^^ i should cite the shoulders of the giants such as NF i am standing on.
The argument is 100% based on NF's argument on Nadal's invincibility when he is 100%.

Ah. Disregard my last post then, lol.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Stop this. Seriously.

It's impossible to argue this with you, but you are speaking fallacies. Nadal has played most of their matches at 100% health and he's lost 7 matches. Being tired is one thing, but it's entirely different from being unfit to play.

I'd also remind you that Federer and Nadal have NEVER met on fast American hard courts, which is a matchup that greatly favors Federer. IF Nadal had been good enough at the US Open to make a couple finals, their h2h would look entirely different.

Federer is looked down upon because he has been the second best clay court player of this generation, playing behind one of the greats of all time on the surface. Nadal unfortunately can't say the same about hard courts, at least not yet.
Nadal beat Djokovic on American hard courts and Djokovic is a tougher matchup for Nadal. Nadal is just a bad matchup for Federer when he decides to be the energy bunny out there as Safin said. I also think Wimbledon is faster despite popular opinion saying otherwise. It's just a comfort zone as well as confidence after a great clay season that gives Nadal more confidence at Wimbledon than the US Open. The ball actually bounces higher at the US Open.

BigServer1
06-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Nadal beat Djokovic on American hard courts and Djokovic is a tougher matchup for Nadal. Nadal is just a bad matchup for Federer when he decides to be the energy bunny out there as Safin said. I also think Wimbledon is faster despite popular opinion saying otherwise. It's just a comfort zone as well as confidence after a great clay season that gives Nadal more confidence at Wimbledon than the US Open. The ball actually bounces higher at the US Open.

I don't care if he beat Djokovic. I know that you guys think that Djokovic is so awesome, but he's nowhere NEAR the player that Federer is, especially at the US Open.

Roger would beat Nadal at the US Open if they were to meet there. Unfortunately, Nadal has never shown the ability or season long stamina to get to the final and prove your point that he owns Federer regardless of the surface.

Btw, a 3-3 HC h2h doesn't exactly imply "ownage". It's Nadal's clay court hold over Roger that makes their h2h somewhat lopsided.

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 09:54 PM
There's quite a bit of difference. I didn't "cheer" for the other camp. I simply stated that Federer fans need to just admit Nadal beat Federer on a HC slam. *gasp*. Oh, and Federer crying was abit pathetic to be honest, when you consider he did kind of give up in the 5th. However, Federer did exactly what I said he needed to do. He won the FO. That showed that in his darkest hour, he was able to recover from it, and show that he isn't mentally frail. In fact, he's probably just as mentally strong as Nadal IMO.

Heck, I felt quite happy for a few Nadal fans because they've been getting their heads knocked in by the oldschool Federer trolls (*cough* BP *cough*) for 4-5 years running outside the clay season.

However, as days, weeks, and months went by, the Nadal fans decided to bash not just Federer fans on a fan level (which was of course going to happen), they decided to personally attack Federer and his fans as human beings. That's when they crossed the line.

That bold part is what I am talking about. That was exactly what the other camp was saying on those days, "pathetic".

Pathetic... the guy's whole life is centered around tennis, has been on the second Sunday of almost every slam and when he sees the fans stand up to cheer him up he comes down to tears, us, who the only thing we can move is a remote control and a typewriter call him pathetic. You tell me who's more pathetic.
If some fans make a robotic hero out of a human being, with his own limitations and exceptions, it is their own fault, not his.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't care if he beat Djokovic. I know that you guys think that Djokovic is so awesome, but he's nowhere NEAR the player that Federer is, especially at the US Open.

Roger would beat Nadal at the US Open if they were to meet there. Unfortunately, Nadal has never shown the ability or season long stamina to get to the final and prove your point that he owns Federer regardless of the surface.

Btw, a 3-3 HC h2h doesn't exactly imply "ownage". It's Nadal's clay court hold over Roger that makes their h2h somewhat lopsided.
Nadal will loop the ball to Fed's backhand and that strategy would be more effective at the US Open than the low bouncing Wimbledon. Both Nadal and Federer are more comfortable on grass though due to their athletic ability of adjusting to other surfaces. A tired Nadal beat Fed at the Australian Open. I think Nadal can beat Fed on US Open hardcourts if he doesn't have an exhausting Semifinal.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Even if he plays Nadal, he still can kick his butt-picking ***.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Forgot to write, that's is bold. I'll believe it when I see it.

Polaris
06-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Sigh! it is natural for people to laugh at you when you broadcast all of that fanboyism. Your clearly view Roger through rose-tinted glasses. The reality is that his grip on the men's tour will never be as tight as before - at any rate, his opponents can now hope to defeat him if they play a good match.

It is quite a ridiculous prediction to make, even if I hope that it comes true. Going undefeated for 7 matches in a single Grand Slam is a miracle in itself, but you seem not to be satisfied with that.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Sigh! it is natural for people to laugh at you when you broadcast all of that fanboyism. Your clearly view Roger through rose-tinted glasses. The reality is that his grip on the men's tour will never be as tight as before - at any rate, his opponents can now hope to defeat him if they play a good match.

It is quite a ridiculous prediction to make, even if I hope that it comes true. Going undefeated for 7 matches in a single Grand Slam is a miracle in itself, but you seem not to be satisfied with that.

Yes, I agree. Players aren't fearful of playing Fed the way they used to. They know if they play superb tennis, then they have a chance to win because Fed is not as consistent as he was. Fed is still very good but he no longer has a choke hold on the ATP as he once did. So, yes, as much as I hate to see it happen, Fed could lose to player at slams, but it will be very difficult to beat him if they can't keep their game together in best out of 5 sets.

Again, it's easier said then done. Beating Fed at slam is theoretically possible if players player their best, but that is very difficult to do.

ChanceEncounter
06-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Nadal will loop the ball to Fed's backhand and that strategy would be more effective at the US Open than the low bouncing Wimbledon. Both Nadal and Federer are more comfortable on grass though due to their athletic ability of adjusting to other surfaces. A tired Nadal beat Fed at the Australian Open. I think Nadal can beat Fed on US Open hardcourts if he doesn't have an exhausting Semifinal.
Of course you think that. But you're not exactly the poster child for objectivity.

If Nadal is so good at fast hard courts, how come he stood Roger up at all those US Open finals? For the past 5 years, Roger was chilling on the other side of the net at the US Open, waiting for someone to challenge him, and Nadal never walked out of that tunnel.

Why's that if he's the better player?

Jchurch
06-21-2009, 12:50 AM

Federer was injured at the AO. I don't think anyone would question that.

Tennis_Bum
06-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Federer was injured at the AO. I don't think anyone would question that.

Oh contrary my friend, a lot of Nadal fans would question that.

I heard he had a back problem. Of course, I can't confirm nor prove it either way. But his serving in that match was pathetic. It certainly looked like he was playing like crap too, to my eyes anyway. I never saw Fed played that way when he had, say million chances to break Nadal and to put away the guy in the first set but to let him get back into the match. I actually was very disappointed in the way Fed played the AO final against Nadal.

But if it was the back problem, then it made some sense why he played like crap. Again, I can't prove or disprove it.

I couldn't figure out why this Fed played like crap, but someone mentioned about back problem. Again, I don't know if it was true or not, but damn he served like crap. He certainly served a lot better during his win at the FO.

joeri888
06-21-2009, 01:35 AM

I at least predicted Rafa would be injured one year giving Federer the chance to win the FO he deserves. Rafa doesn't own Roger on any surface but clay anyway, but all the media, fans, players, everyone clearly exaggerates the significance of their h2h.

Jchurch
06-21-2009, 01:38 AM
I at least predicted Rafa would be injured one year giving Federer the chance to win the FO he deserves. Rafa doesn't own Roger on any surface but clay anyway, but all the media, fans, players, everyone clearly exaggerates the significance of their h2h.

Very true. If Rafa was so much better than Federer, he would have won the AO, Wimbledon, and USO by now.

TennisFan481
06-21-2009, 02:44 AM

This "Nadal hitting high balls to Federer's backhand strategy" hasn't been a significant part of their meetings since the 2006 French Open final.

In the AO final this year, Federer hurt him quite a bit with his backhand (I believe he hit 13 or 14 BH winners in that match). It was his horrendous serving percentage that let him down. Other than that, Federer played quite well. The two of them were at least even from the baseline.

In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Federer's backhand let him down, but it wasn't high balls; it was actually the complete opposite. Many of Nadal's balls to his BH were basically skidding and dying in the grass and Federer couldn't get under them. The French Open final was just a white-washing...not so much Federer making errors, but Nadal hitting passing shot winner after winner while Federer kept coming to net.

If Federer serves well on non-clay against Nadal, he's got a better chance of winning than he does losing.