PDA

View Full Version : So how will ESPN screw up Wimbledon coverage?

Defcon
06-20-2009, 10:31 PM
As we speak, evil minds in ESPN are hard at work dreaming up more ways of making their coverage even worse. Of course they were not satisfied with the horrible new scoreboard, 24 hr ticker on the bottom and shrinking the feed even in widescreen.

I'm really not looking forward to it, esp with no Wimbledon live this year. The promise of endless week 1 Williams sisters replays (probably week 2 at Wimby :cry:) is bad enough.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 10:40 PM
As we speak, evil minds in ESPN are hard at work dreaming up more ways of making their coverage even worse. Of course they were not satisfied with the horrible new scoreboard, 24 hr ticker on the bottom and shrinking the feed even in widescreen.

I'm really not looking forward to it, esp with no Wimbledon live this year. The promise of endless week 1 Williams sisters replays (probably week 2 at Wimby :cry:) is bad enough.

By giving the microphone to Mary Motto-Mouth Carrillo.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 10:40 PM
What else but nothing but two weeks of Serena and Venus matches with a splattering of Roddick matches here and there.

It's too bad there are no live Wimbledon matches on Tennis Channel as there was with the French Open.

skip1969
06-21-2009, 06:36 AM
well, i will be depending on the kindness of strangers during this fortnight . . . meaning my fellow posters and their streaming links. i'm not even home for the tourney, so i'll be trying to watch as much as i can via laptop.

matchmaker
06-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I live in a Spanish speaking country and ESPN is mainly dominated by Argentinians, so for me it will be a couple of days of matches full of Argentinians, then the inevitable women's matches and luckily by the time of the semis, I will get to watch the really good matches.

Rafter4ever
06-21-2009, 07:37 AM
What else but nothing but two weeks of Serena and Venus matches with a splattering of Roddick matches here and there.

It's too bad there are no live Wimbledon matches on Tennis Channel as there was with the French Open.

Wimby not on TC? You are kidding? What about taped delay matches?

leonidas1982
06-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Well, Ms Carrillo has already laid down the groundwork that the Williams' double's match received the highest ratings during the French Open.

vsbabolat
06-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Wimby not on TC? You are kidding? What about taped delay matches?

Espn2 will show coverage from 7:00am to 5:00pm live (supposedly). The Tennis Channel does not come on until 7:00PM for Wimbledon Prime Time taped matches.

batz
06-21-2009, 08:14 AM
We are so lucky to have the BBC by the sound of things.

Cesc Fabregas
06-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Agreed mate BBC interactive you can match any court at anytime. :)

Dan007
06-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Also they are probably going to play the taped williams matches instead of live ones.

malakas
06-21-2009, 08:42 AM
find a good proxy,and watch at bet365!it will show all live matches from the 6 televised courts!:D so you can also choose which match to watch!

skip1969
06-21-2009, 09:01 AM
i might be bold enough to try out proxy switcher.

batz
06-21-2009, 09:05 AM
If you can use a proxy then you can also have your choice of multiple matches online at bbc.co.uk

maximo
06-21-2009, 09:07 AM
If you can use a proxy then you can also have your choice of multiple matches online at bbc.co.uk

BBC = Best Broadcasting Channel. :)

serve/and/volley
06-21-2009, 09:13 AM
It's all about third party live streaming ...

malakas
06-21-2009, 09:16 AM
i might be bold enough to try out proxy switcher.

because it's difficult to find a reliable proxy,I suggest better bet365,than bbc,because for bbc you can only use a uk proxy,whereas for bet365,from most of europe and canada.If you want I can post a site with proxies,but still it's difficult to find a good enough to get you streaming.

Rorsach
06-21-2009, 09:20 AM
If someone sends me a slingbox, iŽll set it up for them with a choice between Dutch, English, Belgian, French and German live/coverage.

;)

bayoozen33
06-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm glad Direct TV has that 6 court coverage thing or the only matches I'd ever get to see would be Williams sisters. Thus, no tennis at all because I'd rather watch something else.

svijk
06-21-2009, 09:28 AM

Yeah, i don't get it either why the feed is is all shrunk......kinda makes it better to watch it on non-HD......but i have issues with tennis coverage in general.....cameras are way too high

tintin
06-21-2009, 09:35 AM
I pray Venus,Serena,AndyR,Blake,Fish,Querrey,Sharapova and Murray all lose so that we can get good coverage:twisted::lol::lol:

Devilito
06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
i hope Tennis viewership really bombs in the US this year to the point that all major US networks stop showing tennis at all. Than we can get some smaller stations picking up the feed and giving us coverage for the real fans

bulldawg
06-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Mary Gorilla + incessant coverage of Williams sisters = lousy coverage by ESPN. Wish I had Direct TV.

Sup2Dresq
06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Direct TV has me almost convinced to purchase... almost

Mick
06-21-2009, 10:19 AM
at least there will be no more rain delay this year !

Sup2Dresq
06-21-2009, 10:20 AM
at least there will be no more rain delay this year !

It's just centre court that has a cover... right?

skip1969
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
right. and rain will forever be a factor.

BreakPoint
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
It's just centre court that has a cover... right?
Correct. And it'll take them at least 20 minutes to close the roof and adjust the humidity/temp conditions.

Sup2Dresq
06-21-2009, 10:26 AM
right. and rain will forever be a factor.

Yup.. will just help the big matches down the stretch. Otherwise I think center court will get destroyed too quickly.

Mick
yeah i believe so. i am thinking, if it rains, they would switch their coverage to the court with cover so we would still get to watch some tennis actions.

maximo
Correct. And it'll take them at least 20 minutes to close the roof.

20 minutes is kinda long, but considering the size of the thing...

BreakPoint
06-21-2009, 10:28 AM
20 minutes is kinda long, but considering the size of the thing...
They also have to readjust the ventilation system to make the humidity and temperature acceptable or else it'll get too hot and stuffy in an enclosed arena, and that takes time since it's such a large volume of space.

leonidas1982
06-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Direct TV has me almost convinced to purchase... almost

I probably will as well -- just in time for US Open.

Cyan
06-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Overdose of Williams sisters coverage.

jamesblakefan#1
06-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Just be glad we don't have to deal with Chris Berman in our tennis coverage. That guy is awful w/ his freaking nicknames. I couldn't stand dealing with 6 hours of Rafael "Pre" Nadal and Novak "Ain't no" Djokovic.

tenis
06-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I pray Venus,Serena,AndyR,Blake,Fish,Querrey,Sharapova and Murray all lose so that we can get good coverage:twisted::lol::lol:

Yup, that's right!

TBobLP
06-21-2009, 12:59 PM
yeah i believe so. i am thinking, if it rains, they would switch their coverage to the court with cover so we would still get to watch some tennis actions.

more like switching to a taped williams match

Sup2Dresq
06-21-2009, 01:02 PM
more like switching to a taped williams match

Oh . .yes.. that is what will happen. *sigh*..

Now I must call Direct TV... lol

jimbo333
06-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Yes we certainly are:)

Apart from Andrew Castle as a commentator, who is patronising and really annoying:(

Lsmkenpo
06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Don't let ESPN force the Williams sisters on you, switch your proxy and watch online.

I haven't had any problem finding a proxy using proxyswitcher, you can set it up to only search for UK proxies and it automatically sorts them for speed and connectivity. The proxy speed hasn't been an issue at all for me.

Took me about 5 mins, and I was watching streams at Bet365.

Use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, it sets everything up automatically in IE, and reconnects to the same proxy when you restart the program, very simple.

Say "no" to the bad tennis of ESPN and NBC.

pudelko
06-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Ive been using bet 365 for a while and love the multi court coverage plus no commercials!

But there is one feature that I cant find/is missing :

You cant go full screen! The only thing ive thought of is to lower my computers resolution to get the biggest picture possible.

Anyone know of a way to go full screen?

BreakPoint
06-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Both Roger Federer and Serena Williams are about to start play at the same time right now. Federer on Centre Court and Serena on Court 1.

Guess which match ESPN is about to show? :mad:

skip1969
06-24-2009, 06:25 AM
yeah, it's time to find a stream.

F10
06-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Of course they are showing Serena's match. No wonder why people do not like the Williams sisters or Sharapova, who by the way is out of the tournament thanks to Dulko!!!! Its ridiculous that they are not showing Federer, or any other game that is way better than watching Serena!!! Good job on screwing the coverage ESPN! ( As usual)

leonidas1982
06-24-2009, 06:39 AM
They've yet to feature a men's match.

mike84
06-24-2009, 06:49 AM
great show serena match while federer is playing

good work espn

jamesblakefan#1
06-24-2009, 06:54 AM
they're showing fed now. up 5-1.

T1000
06-24-2009, 06:54 AM
and they won't show the Hewitt-Del Potro match tommorrow, probably a sharapova or william sister rerun instead

Sleepstream
06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Finally, everyone knows how to pronounce Djokovic's name. Thank you for having Novak say it himself.

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 08:08 AM
and they won't show the Hewitt-Del Potro match tommorrow, probably a sharapova or william sister rerun instead

God, I'm gonna be so ****ed. That's the best match-up in the tournament so far.

Kemitak
06-24-2009, 08:16 AM
About 15 years ago, McEnroe was a decent commentator. But now, just like Mary Carrillo and Dick Enberg, he thinks it's a morning talk show with a tennis match as the backdrop. I don't know what's worse, ESPN talking heads, or WTA shrieking.

jmverdugo
06-24-2009, 08:18 AM
DirecTV + ESPN interactive FTW! Six channels, this morning I got to see the bryans double match or Fed match or Sharapova's or whatever they were showing, only problem is when it rains we lose the signal but other thatn that is really good.

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 08:21 AM
They just said that Sam Querry is the top American...WTF. Who are the two girls in the "studio" for espn?

Backhanded_47
07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
I've just read quickly thru this thread and feel both validated and intimidated [that's a good song title] -
The mainstream-media coverage of Wimby is horrible! I now realize that ESPN is fully committed to programming that to me seems idiotic, atrocious
boycott ESPN.
As for watching on the computer -well, it clearly is the wave of the future and I now must get my act together - old school recording from cable using broadcast mainstream media is apparently quickly proving useless.
What the h... is proxy channeling?
Thanks for listening - I'm ****ed!

TBobLP
07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
I've just read quickly thru this thread and feel both validated and intimidated [that's a good song title] -
The mainstream-media coverage of Wimby is horrible! I now realize that ESPN is fully committed to programming that to me seems idiotic, atrocious
boycott ESPN.
As for watching on the computer -well, it clearly is the wave of the future and I now must get my act together - old school recording from cable using broadcast mainstream media is apparently quickly proving useless.
What the h... is proxy channeling?
Thanks for listening - I'm ****ed!

i wish the wave of the future would just be better tv coverage..

jamesblakefan#1
07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I actually don't blame ESPN today. They were forced into a certain slot, showed live tennis during that time, and when 10 am came, NBC fudged it up by showing all taped and no live coverage. When 1pm hit, I was pleasantly surprised to see ESPN go to the Roddick match live. Clearly they are at the very least committed to showing live tennis whenever possible, something you cannot say for NBC unless it's the finals.

NamRanger
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I actually don't blame ESPN today. They were forced into a certain slot, showed live tennis during that time, and when 10 am came, NBC fudged it up by showing all taped and no live coverage. When 1pm hit, I was pleasantly surprised to see ESPN go to the Roddick match live. Clearly they are at the very least committed to showing live tennis whenever possible, something you cannot say for NBC unless it's the finals.

ESPN is a little bit annoying at times, but I thought they did a really good job this year at Wimbledon to be honest.

BreakPoint
07-01-2009, 10:24 AM
That's because you're on the East Coast.

Right now, as I type this, ESPN is blacked out on the West Coast and won't come back until 1:00pm PST (4:00pm EST) when the Roddick-Hewitt match will be over. Yes, I'm forced to watch a taped match between Federer-Karlovic right now on NBC when a live Roddick-Hewitt match is still playing live in the 5th set! If that's not the definition of insanity, I don't know what is!! :mad:

jamesblakefan#1
07-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Right now, as I type this, ESPN is blacked out on the West Coast and won't come back until 1:00pm PST (4:00pm EST) when the Roddick-Hewitt match will be over. Yes, I'm forced to watch a taped match between Federer-Karlovic right now on NBC when a live Roddick-Hewitt match is still playing live in the 5th set! If that's not the definition of insanity, I don't know what is!! :mad:

Like I said, blame NBC for this. They force this w/ the stupid 10 am in all time zones crap. Not ESPN's fault. They showed live tennis at 4am, you know they would at 10am on the west if they could. But NBC won't let them.

leonidas1982
07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I wonder how, if at all, NBC executives are watching Wimbledon.

SeattleShawn
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm in Seattle and right ow as I write this on NBC I have to watch the Federer match that already happened and I've seen enough highlights to make it not worth my time, and the only way I can watch the Roddick/Hewitt match I have to tune to the DIRECTV Sports Mix channel which shows 8 little screens of different channels, so I can kinda see the match there on the ESPN2 little screen. Try to go to the full screen and it says it's not available in my area?? NBC isn't showing it live and ESPN can't show it? Even with a 42" screen you have to sit really close to make it worthwhile.. this whole tournament has been really frustrating trying to figure out who is playing on what channel and when.

SeattleShawn
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
"I'm in Seattle and right ow"

I like my Freudian typo, "ow' is what it's like trying to watch Wimbledon on television! ;-)

seffina
07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
I think in general ESPN has done what they could with what NBC has allowed them to do. I know some were upset with early cut aways to Williams's doubles match and the Fish/Blake match, but they only cut away to those at the very ends of the matches. It's not like they showed the entire match and I actually enjoyed seeing some American doubles tennis. Most of the early morning coverage was of the quarter they had the rights to.

Rybo
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I wasn't entirely thrilled that ESPN ignored numerous Haas/Djokovic games to show the Williamses playing doubles.

hcelizondo
07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Well ESPN Latam is doing a great job. In my cable system i had 6 ESPN channels to choose from. This morning I was watching all the QF in 2 diferent channels. I believe it is not ESPN US it should be the fact of TV rights otherwise it makes no sense, I mean they are covering the whole thing

bm99
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Talk about a bad moment of television quality control......Today, ESPN played a video about Andy Murray and the frenzy that he has caused in England with his performance in Wimbledon.

They had some nice music playing in the background throughout the video. The only problem is that the song being played was the GERMAN NATIONAL ANTHEM.

Fedace
07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I got a question. I may have to work on sunday AM. if i miss the final, and come back home that night, Would i be able to see it on Tennis channel ???? or is it blocked out by NBC ???

JeMar
07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
TTC carried the Roland Garros final earlier this month, so I'd guess it will be the same.

Fedace
07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
TTC carried the Roland Garros final earlier this month, so I'd guess it will be the same.

But WAS it that same night or do you have to wait several days ???

JeMar
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Same night.

Fedace
07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Same night.

You are + now ??? cause i am going to come home without listening to any outside news and not Reading any of the TW posts and look for the final in Tennis channel. and if it is not on, i am going to be very UPSET. Last year on sunday, i came home it wasn't on Tennis channel. what happened last year. ??

JeMar
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm just saying that's what they did at Roland Garros, and the broadcast rights were largely the same. I'm not 100% sure. My cable box has a four-and-a-half hour block labeled "Tennis" on the tennis channel on Sunday at 6:00 P.M., so I'd think that's where they're going to show it. I don't have detailed information because it's still too many days away.

Pancho G
07-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Why not talk about how ESPN and NBC did not show the American Roddick against Hewitt? And it gets worse. ESPN showed the Andy Murray match but told you the result at the beginning. I have never seen sports botched the way it has been the past couple of days and the lack of outrage is even more perplexing...

jamesblakefan#1
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Why not talk about how ESPN and NBC did not show the American Roddick against Hewitt? And it gets worse. ESPN showed the Andy Murray match but told you the result at the beginning. I have never seen sports botched the way it has been the past couple of days and the lack of outrage is even more perplexing...

Again, it's not ESPN's fault. Blame NBC for the idiodic 10am in all time zones rule, showing taped tennis and blocking out ESPN. ESPN showed Roddick as soon as they could live on the east coast, so we got to see the last few sets. But NBC showed taped Haas-Djokovic while the Roddick match was live. :roll:

BreakPoint
07-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Are you sure about that? I don't think that's true. Usually these finals are shown on NBC live just once and then never repeated again on any other channel (unless it was a classic like last year's Wimbledon final), so unless you tape it when it's on live on NBC, you're pretty much out of luck. NBC owns the rights to these finals.

BTW, I just checked the TTC schedule for Sunday, June 7th (the day of the FO final) and there was no showing of the final that evening.
http://www.tennischannel.com/schedule/index.aspx

jamesblakefan#1
07-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I know ESPN usually has PMac and Enberg call it, so it may be shown on there. But that just may be as BP says, if it's an "Instant Classic" theyll show it on ESPN Classic the next day.

jamesblakefan#1
07-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Well, it looks like it's going to happen again, w/ ESPN only showing the Serena match today, while NBC will show the Venus match at 12pm, 3 hours after it's over.

Backhanded_47
07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Remember me?
I'm the one who said I was unhappy with the media coverage, blah, blah,blah...
And now I see the light. After reading the two pages of discussion since my grievous complaint was launched I see that all manner of hell is raining down on us po' US Tennis fans - you might say, "My Wimby don't work!"
Summary: This Wimby viewing is easier in Mexico, than it is here in Kali - hey Mexico has states too - maybe California will secede from The United States of NBC and join MX - they got a Michogan, don't they?
Anyway, join me. I'm starting a writing campaign -direct to the source. Let's write all manner of grievous complaints to Tim Henman - Member of the All England Club and tell him to read the discussion contained in this thread - to summarize: Wimby.org runs the show - stop screwing up the best damn sporting event on the surface of the earth! Why NBC and ESPN, give the feed to somebody who knows what they're doing - all or nothing - Let the players play. Henman is a player - he'll get it.