PDA

View Full Version : How nationalistic are the British/English?

joeri888
06-21-2009, 04:36 AM
Any people on this board from England who would support Federer over Murray in a possible matchup in the Wimbledon final? What would the crowd be like? I mean, Federer is the most popular player in the world, but Murray is the home favourite.

Sarzy
06-21-2009, 04:40 AM
I'm supporting Federer 100% and I'm English. I just can't stand Murray, and I don't care where tennis players are from. It's the player I like and support. The crowd would definitely be pulling more for Murray though.

malakas
06-21-2009, 04:42 AM
I don't think that any british Fed fans that were already posting in this forum,are going to jump on the english press' bandwagon.Maybe they will support both,but they are not going to turn their back to Fed just like that.

SaunderS
06-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Yeah suprisingly murray has a lot of fans over here, despite being a dick. Yet, last year in the Final, the crowd roared whenever federer got a point.

jones101
06-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Im British (Welsh) and will be rooting for Fed to win, even if he plays Murray, though if Murray wins, I think it would be great also for the country.

Fed has always been my favourite player and National pride won't change that.

If a Fed Vs Murray final arrived, the crowd would pull for Murray more slighly, but would no way cheer Fed errors or not clap for his shots, I just think they would be respectful of both and the atmosphere would be electric.

batz
06-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Any people on this board from England who would support Federer over Murray in a possible matchup in the Wimbledon final? What would the crowd be like? I mean, Federer is the most popular player in the world, but Murray is the home favourite.

Cesc has already said he would support Roger over Murray - which is entirely his prerogative.

Tennis_Maestro
06-21-2009, 06:11 AM
As a Brit i find it hard not to support Andy Murray whilst playing in his home tournament....

Fred Perry 1936, thats a very long time, British tennis needs some sort of rejuvenating, i believe Murray winning Wimbledon would encourage the country as a whole to take the sport more seriously.

Muzzafan
06-21-2009, 06:18 AM
As a Brit i find it hard not to support Andy Murray whilst playing in his home tournament....

Fred Perry 1936, thats a very long time, British tennis needs some sort of rejuvenating, i believe Murray winning Wimbledon would encourage the country as a whole to take the sport more seriously.

Exactly, murray could do alot for british tennis by winning it.

shadows
06-21-2009, 06:22 AM
As a Brit, I'd probably support Roger if he was playing Andy in the final due to personal preference, but I'd be delighted with either result really.

As mentioned, a Murray win at the home GS could do wonders for British tennis, and would hopefully spur on the development of future juniors ^^

dincuss
06-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Im going to assume your American. Why dont you guys love Roddick when he plays USO?

rhubarb
06-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Definitely Federer for me. I'd like to see Murray win a slam - it would give tennis a huge boost here if he did - but preferably not before Roger has his fifteenth (and then some, if possible).

malakas
06-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Im going to assume your American. Why dont you guys love Roddick when he plays USO?

he's dutch,and judging by the way he was cheering for Sluiter making the Ordina open final,he probably fly over to america if a dutch was in the final :p hehehe

gj011
06-21-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't get why are people marked as nationalistic here if they don't cheer for Federer?

maximo
06-21-2009, 09:24 AM
What is this fellow Brits??

Its like saying your supporting Switzerland rather than GB in the Olympics...

Lionheart392
06-21-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm English and I dislike Murray. He does seem to have a heck of a lot of support here though. Personally though I don't see why I should support someone just because they're from the same country as me. It's not like people of the same nationality always get along, so why should I automatically love him? Well I've just never really understood nationalism in general.

Moz
06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Well I've just never really understood nationalism in general.

I couldn't agree more. When your country changes so much that it generally disgusts you why would you regard it as any more than an accident of birth.

markmurray
06-21-2009, 09:43 AM
The crowd would be behind Murray 100%. I think British crowds have a sense of fairness though, and I would think Federer would be well received too, especially if he played well.

It's a pretty arbitrary task, choosing an allegiance. Picking a fellow countryman seems as good a choice as any, even though I don't generally have any sense of national pride or patriotism or whatever you want to call it.

I also like to root for underdogs but that doesn't make sense over a championship as everybody but Federer is a bit of an underdog...

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-21-2009, 09:51 AM

I'm from America, yet I support the person or people I do because I consider them greatest playing today, not due to their national origin.

shadows
06-21-2009, 09:59 AM
What is this fellow Brits??

Its like saying your supporting Switzerland rather than GB in the Olympics...

I disagree entirely; an event like the Olympics is all about nationality and performing for your country, tennis on the other hand is almost always about the individual performance of a player, and as such personal preference about a players attitude, playing style, and so on, is likely to hold a far greater sway in who people cheer for.

I mean, you don't see players advertised in a grand slam as competing on the behalf of their country do you? It's not like Rafa winning the Australian Open was chalked up as a gold medal for Spain. In fact that's why we have things like the Davis cup; where players do compete on the behalf of their country as a team, and there I bet you'll see more people taking their countrys side regardless of the players involved.

I don't get why are people marked as nationalistic here if they don't cheer for Federer?

hahahaha.

shrakkie
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I am torn. Murray could really rejuvinate tennis for us here in England were he to win, but I am a die hard Fed fan!

My heart says Roger, my head says Murray.

Underhand
06-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Murray is Scot, not English.

shrakkie
06-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Yes but he is a Brit.

joeri888
06-21-2009, 12:16 PM

Where did I say that everyone who's cheering for Murray is nationalistic? Where? All I said was that Federer is the most popular player in the world, therefore if nationality wouldn't matter he'd probably be the crowd's favourite in EVERY stadium in the world. He almost always is favoured by the crowd unless he plays a homeboy, no? I was wondering how much more support Murray will have from the Centre court crowd than Federer if they meet... I'm by no means saying what you pretend I am.

I heard something about English people walkin at Wimbledon with t-shirts that say: "anyone but Andy" Lol.

joeri888
06-21-2009, 12:16 PM

I know, but Wimbledon is held in England, I don't care who the television watchers in Scotland will root for. I care about what centre court will root for, as that will make a difference.

malakas
06-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Where did I say that everyone who's cheering for Murray is nationalistic? Where? All I said was that Federer is the most popular player in the world, therefore if nationality wouldn't matter he'd probably be the crowd's favourite in EVERY stadium in the world. He almost always is favoured by the crowd unless he plays a homeboy, no? I was wondering how much more support Murray will have from the Centre court crowd than Federer if they meet... I'm by no means saying what you pretend I am.

I heard something about English people walkin at Wimbledon with t-shirts that say: "anyone but Andy" Lol.

tw carry those?Would be very interested!

gj011
06-21-2009, 12:24 PM

I didn't say you per se. I meant it is general attitude among some posters.

About shirts, I would wear "Anyone but Federer" shirt.

icedevil0289
06-21-2009, 12:26 PM

About shirts, I would wear "Anyone but Federer" shirt.

except when he plays roddick or robredo. :)

joeri888
06-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Okay, maybe.. That was not at all my intention. I don't mind anyone not supporting Federer. There are many reasons to not support Federer and there are many reasons to support him. Anyone should support who they like.

About shirts, I would wear "Anyone but Federer" shirt.No surprises there. But didn't you hate Soderling and Roddick even more? Or was that just N_F?

batz
06-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I know, but Wimbledon is held in England, I don't care who the television watchers in Scotland will root for. I care about what centre court will root for, as that will make a difference.

And England is in Britain. The centre-court crowd are British.

malakas
06-21-2009, 12:46 PM
hehehe here we go again rob.I except a lot of those discussions these days.:p

gj011
06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Okay, maybe.. That was not at all my intention. I don't mind anyone not supporting Federer. There are many reasons to not support Federer and there are many reasons to support him. Anyone should support who they like.

No surprises there. But didn't you hate Soderling and Roddick even more? Or was that just N_F?

Not Soderling. Roddick and Robredo, but two of them don't have a chance of winning any slams, so no point wearing a shirt "Anyone but Robredo or Roddick".

And I don't hate, just dislike.

dincuss
06-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Not Soderling. Roddick and Robredo, but two of them don't have a chance of winning any slams, so no point wearing a shirt "Anyone but Robredo or Roddick".

Why do you dislike Robredo?
just wondering not trying to defend him.

malakas
06-21-2009, 12:55 PM

yeah..Federer holds the sole privilege of that.:)

joeri888
06-21-2009, 12:58 PM
And England is in Britain. The centre-court crowd are British.

I know the difference. A cow is an animal, but not every animal a cow, I get it. The centre-court crowd is mainly English people, so I just wondered how many of them would be supporting Federer.

Why do you dislike Robredo?
just wondering not trying to defend him. He's been an *** to Djokovic once or twice.

And I don't hate, just dislike. Actually, "anyone but Robredo" would be kind of funny. I thought you said Federer had no chance to win Slams once or twice though.

gj011
06-21-2009, 01:06 PM
I know the difference. A cow is an animal, but not every animal a cow, I get it. The centre-court crowd is mainly English people, so I just wondered how many of them would be supporting Federer.

He's been an *** to Djokovic once or twice.

Actually, "anyone but Robredo" would be kind of funny. I thought you said Federer had no chance to win Slams once or twice though.

Robredo is a multiple times proven cheater and a liar, what he did to Djokovic on USO is just a small part of it.

I certainly hope that Federer is done winning slams, he was quite lucky to win USO 2008 and FO 2009 IMO and that luck can't last long. He might win another one or two though.

joeri888
06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Robredo is a multiple times proven cheater and a liar, what he did to Djokovic on USO is just a small part of it.

I certainly hope that Federer is done winning slams, he was quite lucky to win USO 2008 and FO 2009 IMO and that luck can't last long. He might win another one or two though.

Okay, fair enough about FO 2009, he had luck with the draw, though he earned his seven wins. but how exactly was he lucky to win the US Open? I dont really get that. He beat both Murray and Djokovic in quite convincing fashion. Sure he should have done better against Andreev, but all in all he had a convincing tournament and deserved to win the way I see it.

Kegzz
06-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I hate the media coverage they give Murray. It's always like "Murray's done this, Murray's done that" and I hate it. They'll drop every other match on sports channels just so we can all watch Andy Murray. He's a very talented player, but Fed/Nadal just take the cake.

Tennis_Maestro
06-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Point in hand? He represents Great Britain, in effect and off the record England is the capital of Great Britain, everyone knows this deep down, Scotland is merely a bit part player to the fore.

His family and most relatives are living in England, its not like an American supporting a Canadian because they are located just above.

Tennis_Maestro
06-21-2009, 01:49 PM

LOL!

Lucky.

Lucky to have beaten the guy that defeated the reigning 4 times French Open champion Rafael Nadal.

US Open i can fore see as being slightly lucky, but that French Open win was truely deserved. Having a hatred for a player is one thing, but using your hate to make you twist the truth is another matter.