PDA

View Full Version : Fred Perry Tennis Wear = Rubbish.

J011yroger
06-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Was in Bloomingdales yesterday, and looking at some of the Fred Perry Polos, and Track Jackets, which were very nice, and much to my surprise they had some of the sport stuff, made of the wicking poly.

And the stuff looked like absolute garbage. Poor quality, poor design.

It was no better than the Champion stuff you find at Target or Wal-Mart.

What it did however have, was the requisite price tag.

It wasn't as nice as the Lacoste, or Ralph Lauren which would be its main competitiors, and it paled in comparison to Nike/Adidas/Under Armor.

J

maximo
06-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Really?

I have the Fred Perry shirt Murray wore at the AO and FO and i think they are pretty decent, very light which i like.

I agree that the designs arn't particularly great...

Rogisbestever
06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
agree - i have the FO navy v neck shirt and i love it - great materials and good fit also...

J011yroger
06-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I didn't try anything on, just felt/looked flimsy and cheap.

J

Rogisbestever
06-21-2009, 08:08 AM
give it a go - you will be surprised... ultra comfy kit

maximo
06-21-2009, 08:11 AM
give it a go - you will be surprised... ultra comfy kit

That being said, i got the US Open one too. The fabric on that one isn't as good and light as the V-neck ones...

J011yroger
06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
That being said, i got the US Open one too. The fabric on that one isn't as good and light as the V-neck ones...

Maybe this is the new stuff and is cheaper?

Maybe they send the crappy version to the US?

This thing that I held was no nicer than than Champion stuff.

J

maximo
06-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Maybe this is the new stuff and is cheaper?

Maybe they send the crappy version to the US?

This thing that I held was no nicer than than Champion stuff.

J

Or maybe due to the reccision and cos Fred Perry is a fairly small brand, they had to cut back??

Gorecki
06-21-2009, 02:01 PM
i dont know about the poly sports apparel, but the cotton polos beat the crap out of lacoste both in quality and fit, and i say that from experience of having several from both brands...

J011yroger
06-21-2009, 04:41 PM
i dont know about the poly sports apparel, but the cotton polos beat the crap out of lacoste both in quality and fit, and i say that from experience of having several from both brands...

The fit is different than Lacoste, and I would say dependant on body type. But the Fred Perry cotton polos are very nice and thick. High quality for sure.

J

Murray_fan1
06-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I ordered the FO Murray shirt and IMO very good quality and fit, it was kind of strange as I ordered a clearance shirt from the Murray fan site and was dealing with Andy's mom Judy directly. Price was very good as it was on clearance.
I just wish I had ordered more as they are now out of stock.

ClubHoUno
06-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Was in Bloomingdales yesterday, and looking at some of the Fred Perry Polos, and Track Jackets, which were very nice, and much to my surprise they had some of the sport stuff, made of the wicking poly.

It wasn't as nice as the Lacoste, or Ralph Lauren which would be its main competitiors, and it paled in comparison to Nike/Adidas/Under Armor.

J

Jolly, as always I agree - I have 15-20 Fred Perry polos because I lke the small stripes at the collar. They cost 75% of what Lacoste and Polo Ralph Lauren polos cost, but the quality after a few washes is poor to lousy :evil:

And NO, I don't buy from cheap inet stores or 'China' outlets but from official dealers.

I don't buy Fred Perry anymore for that reason, and also HATE HATE HATE the Fred Perry stuff Andy Murray wears, he already as it is looks dorky and the Fred Perry tennis clothing makes him look even more dorky..... :-?

featherlight
06-22-2009, 12:48 AM
you should try them on to see how crappy they are

J011yroger
06-22-2009, 03:17 AM
you should try them on to see how crappy they are

Maybe next time, I went to the mall because I was playing for 2 hours and got rained out, so I was in the store covered in sweat and rain.

It would be kind of dicky for me to go try on their $70 tennis shirt with no intention to buy it, when I was all fouled from playing tennis.

J

martini1
06-22-2009, 04:13 AM
I also think their cotton polos are OK but over priced. I haven't seen their poly shirt but frankly I don't really wear polo off court so anything north of $50 is kind of silly to soak in sweat with.

LPShanet
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM

J

The "performance" stuff is made by a different subcontractor than the sportswear-oriented traditional and fashion stuff. The fits are totally different. I personally don't like their performance tennis stuff (partly for reasons you mentioned) but I do like their casual clothes. Murray's new Wimbledon kit looks like a fun departure from the performance stuff, though.