PDA

View Full Version : Do the Williams sisters serve harder than Nadal?

Claudius
06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I've always wondered whether they have stronger serves than Nadal. Do you think their serve are stronger?

Cesc Fabregas
06-21-2009, 12:06 PM
No Nadal regulary serves above 120.

TBobLP
06-21-2009, 12:06 PM
not at all

joeri888
06-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Nadal serves hard!! Maybe the Rafa of 2005? I wouldn't know

Btw, why do you have a poll? It's a question about facts, no?

Claudius
06-21-2009, 12:08 PM
No Nadal regulary serves above 120.

Not really. His first serves are usually around 110 mph.

thejoe
06-21-2009, 12:11 PM

Not so much any more.

capriatifanatic
06-21-2009, 12:13 PM
No but it could be pretty close. Nadal would destroy the Williams though. Heck he would destroy the early 2000s Wimbledon with double bagels, the current Williams he would probably win Golden sets against, even with bad knees.

TBobLP
06-21-2009, 12:29 PM

most of his 1sts that ive ever seen or heard about were all over 120.

bhallic24
06-21-2009, 12:33 PM
i'm pretty sure serena is a black man with boob implants just so he can dominate the women's tour and sneak into the women's locker room. so yes, he serves harder.

tudwell
06-21-2009, 12:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon08/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3472238

Last year at Wimbledon Nadal averaged 115.

Venus Williams averaged 116 mph in the Wimbledon semifinal last year.

So on occasion, yes, they do.

Edit:
Also during a match at Wimbledon 2007, Williams' average first serve speed was 115 mph (185 km/h) while tennis pro Rafael Nadal's average first serve speed was 113 mph (182 km/h) on the same day.

http://www.zimbio.com/tennis/articles/4140/Sports+Saturday+Empty+Streets+Venus+Williams

LanceStern
06-21-2009, 12:42 PM
i'm pretty sure serena is a black man with boob implants just so he can dominate the women's tour and sneak into the women's locker room. so yes, he serves harder.

Theres nothing funny, cool, or witty about that.

Anyways, yes they do serve harder than Nadal on occasion. It used to be a lot of the time, but now Nadal has beefed up his serve.

Venus served harder than Nadal AND Federer at Wimbledon 07.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 12:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon08/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3472238

Last year at Wimbledon Nadal averaged 115.

Venus Williams averaged 116 mph in the Wimbledon semifinal last year.

So on occasion, yes, they do.

Nadal's favourite serve is the slider out wide on the AD court. That brings the average speed way down. That is certainly not the way to measure service speeds.

If we're talking flat serves, Nadal definitely serves harder.

tudwell
06-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Nadal's favourite serve is the slider out wide on the AD court. That brings the average speed way down. That is certainly not the way to measure service speeds.

If we're talking flat serves, Nadal definitely serves harder.

The question wasn't, "Who CAN serve harder?" It was, "Who DOES serve harder?"

Usually, that's Nadal. Occasionally, it's Venus. Hell, in the Wimbledon 2008 semifinal, Federer averaged 117 mph on his first serve, compared to Venus's 116. She almost caught Federer, who's one of the best servers on the men's side.

Mafia13
06-21-2009, 12:51 PM
''It also is no surprise that Venus has enjoyed such success here, on a surface that rewards a massive serve like no other, because hers is a massive serve like no other. At Wimbledon last year Williams served 38 aces in seven matches, including one that equalled her record for the fastest serve on the women's tour of 129mph. In five of those matches her average first serve speed was 110mph or faster. To put that in context, the average speed of Rafael Nadal's first serve in the men's final was 112mph. She won 73% of the points on her first serve.''

Even when Venus served at her very best she still didn't serve as fast as Nadal. Also you need to consider that Nadal's match went to 5, and it surely was a lot harder to serve consistently in a best of 5 sets compared to a best of 3. Even if Venus did have a higher average, Nadal's serve is so much tougher to return because of all the spin he usually puts on both his first and second serve. I've included a link to the article in which I found this info and an article in which the match stats for the murray-nadal match of Wimby 08 can be found and it states there that Nadal had an average first serve speed of 119 mph.
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2009-06-09/200906131244891979707.html
and http://www.andy-murray.com/rafael-nadal-too-good-for-andy-murray/

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 12:53 PM
The question wasn't, "Who CAN serve harder?" It was, "Who DOES serve harder?"

Usually, that's Nadal. Occasionally, it's Venus. Hell, in the Wimbledon 2008 semifinal, Federer averaged 117 mph on his first serve, compared to Venus's 116. She almost caught Federer, who's one of the best servers on the men's side.

Yes, but you're missing the point. You can't discount the variables. Sometimes players don't try to serve hard. That is particularly true on the men's side. They will often hit a slice serve or a kicker. Women rarely use as much variety on the serve. If Federer hits 20 slice serves in a match and Venus hits 5 slice serves, Federer's average speed is going to be dragged way down.

It's not like they are bombing down one flat serve after another. You can't measure who serves harder by their average first serve speed, even if we're talking about one occasion. Sometimes the players aren't going for speed, so it's pointless to measure it that way.

tudwell
06-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Yes, but you're missing the point. You can't discount the variables. Sometimes players don't try to serve hard. That is particularly true on the men's side. They will often hit a slice serve or a kicker. Women rarely use as much variety on the serve. If Federer hits 20 slice serves in a match and Venus hits 5 slice serves, Federer's average speed is going to be dragged way down.

It's not like they are bombing down one flat serve after another. You can't measure who serves harder by their average first serve speed, even if we're talking about one occasion. Sometimes the players aren't going for speed, so it's pointless to measure it that way.

Venus's fastest serve is 129 mph. Nadal's - as far as I can tell - is 131 mph. That's not a huge difference. And there aren't any averages there either.

Mansewerz
06-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Nadal and Federer go more for placement and spin. Venus may be serving harder at times, but guess who has more aces....

TennisandMusic
06-21-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm sure Nadal his hitting with much more spin than Venus. So Nadal's can be fast AND spinny, so therefore much harder to deal with. If Agassi had trouble dealing with it even three years ago I'm sure it's harder to deal with now. If Nadal had a cupcake serve he would be getting eaten alive. MPH just doesn't tell the whole story.

ChanceEncounter
06-21-2009, 02:01 PM
What part of "harder" is that difficult to understand? :roll:

Occasionally, Venus does serve just as hard or harder as the men. It has nothing to do with how good the serve in question is.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Venus's fastest serve is 129 mph. Nadal's - as far as I can tell - is 131 mph. That's not a huge difference. And there aren't any averages there either.

I'm not saying that she can't serve as hard as Nadal occasionally. I'm saying that measuring based on average speed is never the way to go.

35ft6
06-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Venus has a fast serve, but Nadal can serve just as fast PLUS with a lot of action on it. Pretty sure he's hit into the mid-130's.

Andres
06-21-2009, 02:20 PM
I have Nadal at 134 mph.

jimbo333
06-21-2009, 04:03 PM
No, not normally they don't, but sometimes yes:)

NamRanger
06-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Nadal's serve most likely has about 1000 more rpms on it.