PDA

View Full Version : "Court level" camera usage

avmoghe
06-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Why don't networks use the 'court level' camera more in their broadcasts. I feel like it really shows certain aspects of the game better than the overhead camera that we normally see. We see more clearly -

1.) the pace of the shots and how quickly players must respond - the distance they cover
2.) the heights at which shots pass over the net - high topspins vs low slices or flat, hard, shots
3.) the footwork that goes into lining up for the shots and the body position while striking the ball.

Just have a look at these points from the Blake vs Federer match at the USO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcT9CphRG_I&feature=related

Notice the speed of the play. The point at 1:18 is incredible - blake's forehand's are *fast* (1:22). See Federer deep slice at 2:28 - its actually got decent pace on it!

Any idea why this angle isn't used much? You lose a bit of the clarity on the far side of the court - but overall, I feel like this is a much more entertaining and even enlightening way to watch the pros.

What do you guys think? I think it would be awesome if we had some sort of an option to switch between the two camera's ourselves (perhaps the tennis channel would broadcast two streams, and viewers could switch)

BounceHitBounceHit
06-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Why don't networks use the 'court level' camera more in their broadcasts. I feel like it really shows certain aspects of the game better than the overhead camera that we normally see. We see more clearly -

1.) the pace of the shots and how quickly players must respond - the distance they cover
2.) the heights at which shots pass over the net - high topspins vs low slices or flat, hard, shots
3.) the footwork that goes into lining up for the shots and the body position while striking the ball.

Just have a look at these points from the Blake vs Federer match at the USO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcT9CphRG_I&feature=related

Notice the speed of the play. The point at 1:18 is incredible - blake's forehand's are *fast* (1:22). See Federer deep slice at 2:28 - its actually got decent pace on it!

Any idea why this angle isn't used much? You lose a bit of the clarity on the far side of the court - but overall, I feel like this is a much more entertaining and even enlightening way to watch the pros.

What do you guys think? I think it would be awesome if we had some sort of an option to switch between the two camera's ourselves (perhaps the tennis channel would broadcast two streams, and viewers could switch)

I could not agree more. We were just discussing this point yesterday. I suspect it is one reason tennis is not too popular on TV. BHBH

joeri888
06-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I think it adds to the drama, but if a point is really big, I don't like it. It doesn't give you a good overview of what's really happening and how deep the balls from the player whose view you have are

jimbo333
06-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I agree with OP, they should use the "Court level" camera way more!!!

It really give you a great view, I suppose though of only one player. Still, it should be used loads more, it adds variety for a start:)

TennisandMusic
06-21-2009, 02:54 PM
I think it adds to the drama, but if a point is really big, I don't like it. It doesn't give you a good overview of what's really happening and how deep the balls from the player whose view you have are

I disagree. You should be able to tell exactly where the ball is going to land when you see the trajectory of the ball. Can't you usually tell when a ball is going to sail long or wide, or hit the net, right when it's hit in the overhead view?

The court level angle has no disadvantages IMO. It should be used pretty much exclusively.

P-Town Tennis
06-21-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-dolJPLLw

One of my favorite youtube videos.

Ripster
06-21-2009, 03:03 PM
I like the court camera. It gives you the view that the players are seeing. It's cool and I think they should use it more, although I prefer the overhead cam be used for most of the match.

pricey_aus
06-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, its great. It gives you the feeling that you are sitting there right behind the court. Turn your tv's up really loud and presto...your there!

MasturB
06-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, its great. It gives you the feeling that you are sitting there right behind the court. Turn your tv's up really loud and presto...your there!

Sorry but me being the USA, I wouldn't want to hear Ted Robinson any louder than I have to.

pricey_aus
06-21-2009, 03:51 PM
haah yeah i guess. oi masturb, does your name mean what i think it means? lol

Badger
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I think the lofted camera gives you a better overview of the whole court and a better sense of perspective and the depth of the shots.

Fedgasm
06-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I hate when they go to this angle. It is good when a commentator is making a point about footwork or court positioning, but to watch regular points this way it awful. It provides no perspective as to what is really happening.

Ocean Gypsy
06-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I agree with the OP. Court level should be used a lot more.

Cindysphinx
06-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I hate when they go to this angle. It is good when a commentator is making a point about footwork or court positioning, but to watch regular points this way it awful. It provides no perspective as to what is really happening.

Oh, I agree. That court angle totally raises my blood pressure. I spend the whole point desperately hoping they will cut to the more advantageous angle. I just feel like I can't *see.* I think it is great for replays, but I lose the continuity of the point, which is bothersome.

MajinX
06-21-2009, 06:08 PM
court level is better in alot of ways, but i think both should be used, why it isnt used is that probably u dont get a clear enough view of where both guys are when as sometimes one the front person will block the other and it seems like an incomplete view, for movies and commericals and some points it would be awesome but for most points u would be like "wait wat happened?"

VillaVilla
06-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I agree with OP. Makes the game infinitely more exciting to watch.

djones
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Put the camera 2/3 meters above court level, and you'll have great overview and it will still be much more exciting to watch then the way it is now.

coloskier
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Every once and awhile I would love to see court level, but from the side. It is really the only way you can tell the speed of the ball that is being hit.

MasturB
06-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh, I agree. That court angle totally raises my blood pressure. I spend the whole point desperately hoping they will cut to the more advantageous angle. I just feel like I can't *see.* I think it is great for replays, but I lose the continuity of the point, which is bothersome.

If you're watching on an old 4:3 tv then it's bad.

however, on a 16:9 widescreen tv, the court level is perfect. You can see the ball everywhere it goes.

ReopeningWed
06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
haah yeah i guess. oi masturb, does your name mean what i think it means? lol

What's wrong with MasturB? :)
I've seen worse, like Richard_Beeter.
Or Fedace.

Tony48
06-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't like it. Just like how I don't like constant court-level angles in basketball games or field-level angles in football.

I don't want to feel like I'm playing tennis; I want to feel like I'm watching tennis :)

Annika
06-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Can't compare basketball to tennis. I prefer it "up close and personal". I don't enjoy watching tennis being far up in the stands and I don't enjoy seeing it on tv from that angle. At one time they only used court level coverage. Sometimes it's best to leave things alone.