PDA

View Full Version : Nadal:Retires After US OPEN: Greatest Of All Time

Conquistador
06-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Obviously Nadal won't retire. In my personal opinion, If rafael nadal calls it quits due to injury, he should be considered greatest of all time. To put in perspective what he has done-he would be only 23 years old with 5 majors. Thats HARD. Nadal at 23 has had the best career until 23 years old. You see, if Nadal cant play 100 percent he shouldnt continue his career especially with a Knee, an injury that can be tweaked very easily especially moving laterally. Nadal has to be the greatest of all time if he retires. Theres no other way to put it. I am Roger Federer's greatest fan and will hold him high forever, but whenever you break everything down, Nadal HAS TO BE goat if he retires early. Nadal has been that dominant, and that kind of player. If Nadal wins US OPEN and retires, theres no question about it. Nadal deserves a lot of praise for what hes done thus far. I dont think many people put it into perspective what Nadal has done so far. Its amazing.

TennisandMusic
06-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Did someone hack your account bro? ;-)

DoubleDeuce
06-21-2009, 04:20 PM
won 6 majors

shrakkie
06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
The universe is about to implode.

Ronaldo
06-21-2009, 04:22 PM
won 6 majors

Who's counting?

flying24
06-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Obviously Nadal won't retire. In my personal opinion, If rafael nadal calls it quits due to injury, he should be considered greatest of all time.

Too bad Hingis didnt retire at 18. She could have been the greatest ever too then. I guess for now that honor goes to Tracy Austin.

vtmike
06-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Didn't know pot was legal in Basel,Switzerland... :?

Conquistador
06-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Did someone hack your account bro? ;-)

LOL No. I just have to give credit to Nadal is he wins the CAREER grand slam at 23. That kind of feat is unbelieveable. If you accomplish that you should be considered GOAT. At least I have class, I show appreciation for other players accomplishes, most Fed fans are classy.

ElSuegro
06-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Actually it's 6 grand slams - 4 French, 1 W, 1 Aussie. But that's the problem - someone who is only a threat on one surface can't be the GOAT. Lots of guys have a W or an A or both (Becker, Edberg, Agassi, for example) but are not even mentioned in GOAT talk. I agree that Nadal has had an amazing career so far, but he would have to maintain his pace for another few years to even be mentioned. I don't think he can - I think his over-the-top pace is what has damaged his knees - but hopefully not beyond repair.

pricey_aus
06-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I think Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo is the greatest of all time but you dont see me postin threads about it

zagor
06-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Obviously Nadal won't retire. In my personal opinion, If rafael nadal calls it quits due to injury, he should be considered greatest of all time. To put in perspective what he has done-he would be only 23 years old with 5 majors. Thats HARD. Nadal at 23 has had the best career until 23 years old. You see, if Nadal cant play 100 percent he shouldnt continue his career especially with a Knee, an injury that can be tweaked very easily especially moving laterally. Nadal has to be the greatest of all time if he retires. Theres no other way to put it. I am Roger Federer's greatest fan and will hold him high forever, but whenever you break everything down, Nadal HAS TO BE goat if he retires early. Nadal has been that dominant, and that kind of player. If Nadal wins US OPEN and retires, theres no question about it. Nadal deserves a lot of praise for what hes done thus far. I dont think many people put it into perspective what Nadal has done so far. Its amazing.

I honestly don't know what are you talking about.

Conquistador
06-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I honestly don't know what are you talking about.

Obviously Nadal won't retire, but.........

ronalditop
06-21-2009, 04:28 PM
LOL No. I just have to give credit to Nadal is he wins the CAREER grand slam at 23. That kind of feat is unbelieveable. If you accomplish that you should be considered GOAT. At least I have class, I show appreciation for other players accomplishes, most Fed fans are classy.

LOL at how many times you repeat you have class.

raiden031
06-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Whats funny is that your signature says that Roger Federer is the greatest of all time but you started a thread saying Nadal is.

Madhoshi22
06-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Wow...I'm confused as to the threads started here today...

Breaker
06-21-2009, 04:36 PM
If Jan Silva retired right now he will be GOAT due to having the most TTW threads dedicated to him by the age of 7.

egn
06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
If Jan Silva retired right now he will be GOAT due to having the most TTW threads dedicated to him by the age of 7.

Wait he isn't the GOAT all ready?

veroniquem
06-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Who's counting?
Me. It's 6 majors.

veroniquem
06-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Wait he isn't the GOAT all ready?
He is the GOAT of my heart :)

pricey_aus
06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Veroniquem, I find your posts very insightful. If only there were more people like you on this forum, we could create a perfect society. Oh how I wish...

Ripster
06-21-2009, 04:46 PM

So basically you created this topic to show everyone on here that you have class.

P_Agony
06-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Calling Nadal GOAT right now is pretty crazy. I don't even think Federer is GOAT.

veroniquem
06-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Veroniquem, I find your posts very insightful. If only there were more people like you on this forum, we could create a perfect society. Oh how I wish...
Let's create a forum together and make it perfect... (violins in the background)

egn
06-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Hi Don Budge is calling and he just wanted to inform you that he won a calendar slam at age 23.

pricey_aus
06-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Let's create a forum together and make it perfect... (violins in the background)

yeah i can see it now.

www.veroniquemandpricey.com

pure genius on your part.

Steve132
06-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Borg won his seventh major on or about his 23rd birthday (June 1979), and his eighth a month later at Wimbledon.

Nadal still has some way to go before he is included in GOAT conversations.

bruce38
06-21-2009, 06:50 PM
If Nadal retired now, he wouldn't be top 10. IF he won US open this year and then retired, maybe top 7 or 8.

skip1969
06-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Don Budge is calling and he just wanted to inform you that he won a calendar slam at age 23.
that made me chuckle. thanks.

i suppose we can expect a lot of these sorts of nadal threads for the next two weeks, eh? gotta keep him on the first page of pro discussions somehow.

Conquistador
06-21-2009, 07:24 PM
So basically you created this topic to show everyone on here that you have class.

It was more of a joke, to see if anyone was incompetant enough to agree. Of course Federer is and always will be the GOAT regardless.

JennyS
06-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Too bad Hingis didnt retire at 18. She could have been the greatest ever too then. I guess for now that honor goes to Tracy Austin.

No, Anna Kournikova! She should have just quit before her Wimby sf match:)

tacou
06-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I have 0 grand slams but have played so much less pro tennis than Nadal...can I be considered GOAT too??

psYcon
06-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Michael Chang should be the GOAT according to your logic since he won a grandslam at the age of 17 , something not accomplished by any men's player ever.

Conquistador
06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Michael Chang should be the GOAT according to your logic since he won a grandslam at the age of 17 , something not accomplished by any men's player ever.

This thread was a joke, to see if anyone agreed...:)

Fandango
06-21-2009, 07:50 PM

A little hypocritical but yea, ok mate. (looks at signature):oops:

egn
06-21-2009, 08:07 PM
No, Anna Kournikova! She should have just quit before her Wimby sf match:)

She is the greatest in many ways though..:grin:

Sentinel
06-21-2009, 09:12 PM
This thread was a joke, to see if anyone agreed...:)
we seem to agree that you are a joke ... without a life.
:)

ESP#1
06-21-2009, 09:30 PM

couldn't have said it better

RoddickAce
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Calling Nadal GOAT right now is pretty crazy. I don't even think Federer is GOAT.

I don't even think there is a GOAT, only a statistical GOAT. And even then, players like Laver don't get enough credit for the professional majors they won in their era. I posted this in some other thread, but imagine in the future, grand slams aren't the measuring stick of success, but futures tournaments are? Federer's slams = no worth? Then how can we not include Laver's wins on the professional tour?

RoddickAce
06-21-2009, 09:51 PM
yeah i can see it now.

www.veroniquemandpricey.com

pure genius on your part.

Where are the violins?

oops double post

JoshDragon
06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
What is the point of creating a dumb a** thread like this? Obviously Nadal still wouldn't be the GOAT because Federer has also completed the career grand slam. Rafa would have to win another 6 slams to be in contention for the GOAT.

1 star.

Blinkism
06-21-2009, 10:29 PM

I was going to say something, but you guys did the job!!!

Tennis_Bum
06-21-2009, 10:37 PM

Now, that's funny. I didn't know that you have it in you. Good!

Tennis_Bum
06-21-2009, 10:39 PM

Now, that's funny too.

tahiti
06-22-2009, 09:42 AM
The goat is just a figment of your imagination, stuck in time believing that time it is finite.

TheTruth
06-22-2009, 09:45 AM
He is the GOAT of my heart :)

Mine too. I can't wait until he comes back.

Lotto
06-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I dont agree. To be honest I see Nadal becoming an Andre Agassi only he dominated a surface and the game for a short period. I think he'll be overshadowed by Federer as is Agassi by Sampras.

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Being the best of all time is about stamina too, and if Nadal retired at age 23, he would not be the greatest b/c his stamina would have been horrible

roysid
06-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Had Nadal won the calendar slam this year(total:9) he would have been considered for Goat.

But now French gone, Wimbledon gone, US Open seems unlikely.

For Nadal to be considered goat, he should end up about 14 slams.

malakas
06-23-2009, 01:31 AM
...If I say yes..will you retire from the forum?:D

Gorecki
06-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Moronquistador at his best... i miss King of Aces...

theyr remind me of Waldorf and Statler...

OrangeOne
06-23-2009, 01:39 AM

Well, that one's not true.

Becker won Wimbledon at 17 almost 4 years before Chang won the FO at 17... it's just Chang was a younger 17 (around 4 months younger).

TheNatural
06-23-2009, 02:23 AM
He's won 6 majors but the scary thing is that hes been injured in about 6 other slams which he otherwise would have been a huge chance of winning.

kOaMaster
06-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Didn't know pot was legal in Basel,Switzerland... :?

actually it's quite common, so if you really need some, just ask young people when yo smell it and if you smoke, you won't get fined :)