PDA

View Full Version : Federer : Murray Takes it Personally

DoubleDeuce
06-21-2009, 04:16 PM
And he says he doesn't care, and he shouldn't. He has said so many positive things about the guy, there was nothing personal about it.

NY Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/sports/tennis/22iht-tennis.html?hp

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/andy-murray-usopen08arms.jpg

WIMBLEDON, ENGLAND — As I sat in a nearly empty Center Court in a nostalgic mood on Sunday, young people toting bulky racket bags kept climbing the staircases and stepping inside with their eyes turned upward.

They were players, coming to take a peek at the newest roof in tennis, which was fully retracted Sunday, its folds of transparent material bunched together between the arches of solid white superstructure.

“A powerful thing,” said Neuza Silva, a qualifier who on Monday will become the first Portuguese player to play singles on Center Court when she faces Serena Williams.

Roger Federer, a five-time champion here, has played plenty on Center Court and made his reconnaissance mission last week.

“It didn’t lose anything of the whole history part,” Federer said. “It still remains, you know, the best court in the world. I’m excited to be going out there on Monday.”

In normal circumstances, Federer would not be stepping on to his favorite patch of grass until Tuesday. For a change, he is not the defending champion here, after losing to Rafael Nadal last year in a final that will remain part of the Wimbledon conversation for decades to come.

But with the top-seeded Nadal having withdrawn Friday because of tendinitis in both knees, Federer — as a finalist last year — will get to keep enjoying the honor of playing the first match of the tournament on the most famous court in tennis.

It will be his first match of the year on grass, thanks to the break he took to decompress after winning his first French Open. His opponent will be Yen-Hsun Lu of Taipei.

Federer has skipped the short grass-court circuit before, doing so in 2007 and then going on to win his fifth straight title at Wimbledon.

“It’s been easy to digest winning in Paris, not hard,” he said. “For me, it did me an enormous amount of good to be in Switzerland for a week, to do nothing except a bit of physical training and to see my family, my friends and everyone. It did me a lot of good in the head and to prepare for what was to come.”

Federer said he still had not been able to answer all the congratulatory text messages and e-mails he received and still had not succeeded in speaking directly with Pete Sampras, the American whose record of 14 Grand Slam singles title they now share.

“We still haven’t managed to talk to each other,” he said. “But I’ll try again, and he’ll keep trying, too.”

Federer is not the only man whose unexpected success in Paris has made his life more hectic than usual. Robin Soderling, the Swede who upset Nadal in the fourth round and then reached the final, has been busy reliving the tournament: giving news conferences and appearing on television and radio programs in Sweden. His country had not had a Grand Slam finalist since Thomas Johansson won the Australian in 2002 and has only one player in the top 100 now: Soderling.

“We needed this,” Soderling told Swedish reporters. “Because if we want to bring back the interest in our sport, and create a new generation of players, we needed a leader.”

Soderling, who will start on Court 1 on Monday against Gilles Müller of Luxembourg, is still the only Swede in the singles draw at Wimbledon, but there was another positive sign for the future in Paris when Daniel Berta won the boys singles title.

Soderling, seeded 13th, and Federer could meet in the round of 16 at Wimbledon, and there are other dangerous grass-court players in Federer’s quarter, including Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France, Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano López of Spain and the huge-serving Croatian ace machine, Ivo Karlovic.

But there can be no doubt about who is the favorite to win the tournament, even if Andy Murray of Britain, the top seed in the other half of the draw with Nadal missing, has beaten Federer in their past four matches.

“Federer’s made the last six finals of Wimbledon,” Murray said. “He’s obviously the big favorite going into the tournament. I’ve never won a Grand Slam before. I think I’ve got a chance of doing it here. But I need to play my best tennis ever to do it. It’s not like it’s going to come easily. Slams don’t come easily, and I’m sure the guys that have won them will tell you that. I understand how big a challenge it is.”

Federer has actually won some Wimbledons with little apparent difficulty: sweeping through the draw in 2005 and 2006 with the loss of just one set each year. But Murray, who will face the American Robert Kendrick in the first round, is clearly Federer’s most obvious threat this year. In the absence of Nadal, he is also the only man who could create a final match-up with Federer that could transcend — at least in Britain — the best rivalry in sports.

It has been 73 years since a British man — Fred Perry — won the singles title here.

“You can either deal with that stuff or you can’t,” Murray said of the intense interest he generates at home. “I think that I don’t get caught up in the whole, you know, hype thing, getting involved in reading all the papers, listening to what everyone else is saying. Because at the end of the day, it makes no difference if some guy think I can win the tournament. The guys that I work with and myself, it’s important what they think about my game and how we approach all of the matches. But I think I can deal with it.”

The British press, always quick to look for Wimbledon rubbing points, has already been emphasizing that Federer has not always been appropriately respectful or complimentary in defeat against the 22-year-old Murray. But Federer said he was at peace with his approach.

“That surprises me,” he said. “But there were some matches where I was not 100 percent, like in Shanghai for example. It was visible. It was clear. I was sick. I had a sore back and all that. I’m not going to say he’s the best player of all time if I had a sore back and also considering that I wasn’t far from beating him.

“I’ve always been honest. But I’ve always said 100,000 times that he’s an exceptional player with loads of talent, and a player I think will win Grand Slams. I just thought, at one stage, that he’d have, in fact, more success more quickly. Sometimes perhaps I was too severe with him, but he took it too personally. So that’s too bad for him. I don’t care too much what he says. I feel I was always straight with him.”

P_Agony
06-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Wow, the Federer-Murray saga is like an epic 5-set final, only instead of tennis we get lots and lots of talking from both. I hope this is the last part of it.

World Beater
06-21-2009, 04:30 PM
“That surprises me,” he said. “But there were some matches where I was not 100 percent, like in Shanghai for example. It was visible. It was clear. I was sick. I had a sore back and all that. I’m not going to say he’s the best player of all time if I had a sore back and also considering that I wasn’t far from beating him.

“I’ve always been honest. But I’ve always said 100,000 times that he’s an exceptional player with loads of talent, and a player I think will win Grand Slams. I just thought, at one stage, that he’d have, in fact, more success more quickly. Sometimes perhaps I was too severe with him, but he took it too personally. So that’s too bad for him. I don’t care too much what he says. I feel I was always straight with him.”

hahahah.. classic federer.

egn
06-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Yay finally two tennis players who hate each other and add djokovic in this could be just like connors-mac-lendl and their anger =]

icedevil0289
06-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Yay finally two tennis players who hate each other and add djokovic in this could be just like connors-mac-lendl and their anger =]

you cannot compare this to the connors-mac-lendl. This is nothing. I can't believe some people think this trash talking.

egn
06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
you cannot compare this to the connors-mac-lendl. This is nothing. I can't believe some people think this trash talking.

true but lets just pray it escalates to that level =] Players who hate each other play so much better against each other.

icedevil0289
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
true but lets just pray it escalates to that level =] Players who hate each other play so much better against each other.

Lol, true. It definitely makes it more exciting, to me at least. Although TW would be a nightmare. People would be spending more time talking about interviews and what a player said, rather than talking about the actual matches.

Oh wait, a lot of people already do that.

zagor
06-21-2009, 04:41 PM

You read my mind,I like this as well.

egn
06-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Lol, true. It definitely makes it more exciting, to me at least. Although TW would be a nightmare. People would be spending more time talking about interviews and what a player said, rather than talking about the actual matches.

Oh wait, a lot of people already do that.

But than at least all of them would be spewing it =]

Sentinel
06-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Because at the end of the day, it makes no difference if some guy think I can win the tournament

wow !!! Nice way to refer to Federer :-D

Nadal_Freak
06-21-2009, 08:44 PM
It would be so nice to see Murray beat Fed at Wimbledon.

malakas
06-21-2009, 08:57 PM
I think all this is the British press work.:rolleyes:

OTMPut
06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I think all this is the British press work.:rolleyes:

More like some betting guys flooding the press with Murray has a big chance kind of news. We will have more money on him and someone will make big money out of those idiots who trade after reading newspapers or listening to TV.

illuminati
06-21-2009, 09:46 PM
murray, nadal and djokovic dont bow down to federer like safin, hewitt and roddick. murray and co. dont think federer is jesus when playing him. they dont kiss federers arse like the others. murray dont even like federer, and neither does djokovic. they think federer is a nobody bullying a weak era before they came, nadal has more respect for federer but none of those 3 fears federers game.

malakas
06-21-2009, 09:51 PM
murray, nadal and djokovic dont bow down to federer like safin, hewitt and roddick. murray and co. dont think federer is jesus when playing him. they dont kiss federers arse like the others. murray dont even like federer, and neither does djokovic. they think federer is a nobody bullying a weak era before they came, nadal has more respect for federer but none of those 3 fears federers game.

I thought Federer was member of the illuminati??!:confused: :(

Ambivalent
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I would like Murray to make the final, and then get straight setted by Federer. That would make my day.

markmurray
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
wow !!! Nice way to refer to Federer :-D
No, he's referring to journalists... Some guy writing this column, some guy conducting this radio broadcast, etc.

I think use of language is a problem here. I'm sure Federer doesn't mean to sound as tactless as he sometimes does.

aphex
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
has anyone else ****ed federer off?
and what happened when they played?

murray should prepare for an embarrassing beatdown ala usopen'08...

malakas
06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
has anyone else ****ed federer off?
and what happened when they played?

murray should prepare for an embarrassing beatdown ala usopen'08...

Djokovic's family has.And he told them to shut up.:)

joeri888
06-21-2009, 10:02 PM

These two do anything but hate each other. It's the press that probably would like them to. They've said a million nice things about each other.

illuminati
06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Djokovic's family has.And he told them to shut up.:)

djokovic's family hates federer, its very clear, especially his dad. i remember at monte carlo after federer said to be quiet to them, djkovic hit a winner off of a federer smash the very next point and djokovic's dad was up and clapping and yelling at federer. and in miami when federer broke his racket, djokovics dad was up and clapping and with a massive grin on his face. they dispise federer to the core. its clear federer and djokovic absolutely hate eachother u can tell from their interviews and at the handshake at the net.

DarthMaul
06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
djokovic's family hates federer, its very clear, especially his dad. i remember at monte carlo after federer said to be quiet to them, djkovic hit a winner off of a federer smash the very next point and djokovic's dad was up and clapping and yelling at federer. and in miami when federer broke his racket, djokovics dad was up and clapping and with a massive grin on his face. they dispise federer to the core. its clear federer and djokovic absolutely hate eachother u can tell from their interviews and at the handshake at the net.

Djokovic and his family are rednecks.

ms87
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
having dealt with murray personally (as a stringer), I can say that he is a total dick in person. moreso than any other player we've dealt with.

malakas
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM

you and your people should protect federer from this lunatic!!

malakas
06-21-2009, 10:19 PM
having dealt with murray personally (as a stringer), I can say that he is a total dick in person. moreso than any other player we've dealt with.

some people here have met him,and they said he has strange humour,and that's maybe why he is misundersood.

Personally I don't like much his character,by what I have seen from interviews,tvs etc never met him personally.

DoubleDeuce
06-21-2009, 10:25 PM

His former coach Gilbert didnt like his personality either. He curse his coach and aids in the middle of a match when things not going well.

malakas
06-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Oh yes!Didn't he curse his mother during one match,or I mistake him for somebody else??

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
His former coach Gilbert didnt like his personality either. He curse his coach and aids in the middle of a match when things not going well.

That's just not true.

Do you know why he yelled at Gilbert? Gilbert told Andy to direct his frustration at him, rather than at himself. That's why he yelled in Gilbert's direction.

And believe me, Gilbert does not dislike Murray. Have you even heard the way Gilbert talks about Murray? He pretty much talks about him in glowing terms.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh yes!Didn't he curse his mother during one match,or I mistake him for somebody else??

No, he didn't curse his mother. Juan Martin Del Potro said something about Murray's mother during a match, though. Maybe that's what you're confusing it with.

malakas
06-21-2009, 10:51 PM
No, he didn't curse his mother. Juan Martin Del Potro said something about Murray's mother during a match, though. Maybe that's what you're confusing it with.

no no.I remember this incident but I'm sure a tennis player swear at his mom.I had forgotten about it and just came back to my mind.I think it was Murray but I have to search it.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 10:53 PM

That settles it, then. Kind of easy to just say that and not back it up. I remember one guy on here claiming Murray not only refused a kid an autograph, but inexplicably just pushed him away. :lol: People like to make stuff up about players they dislike. Here's how easy it is.

Having dealt with ms87's mother while serving her while she was shopping for groceries, I can honestly say that she is the biggest ***** I've ever dealt with. More so than other customers.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 10:54 PM
no no.I remember this incident but I'm sure a tennis player swear at his mom.I had forgotten about it and just came back to my mind.I think it was Murray but I have to search it.

It wasn't Murray. I pretty much know everything about the guy and his career. He has never shouted at his mother during a match, let alone swore at her.

illuminati
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
It wasn't Murray. I pretty much know everything about the guy and his career. He has never shouted at his mother during a match, let alone swore at her.

ur here too??? u back to menstennisforum clydey!

is glenmiryni here as well?

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 11:15 PM
ur here too??? u back to menstennisforum clydey!

is glenmiryni here as well?

To quote The Shining, I've always been here.

Who are who on Men's Tennis Forum?

No, Glenn isn't here. I don't see many from MTF on here.

ms87
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
That settles it, then. Kind of easy to just say that and not back it up. I remember one guy on here claiming Murray not only refused a kid an autograph, but inexplicably just pushed him away. :lol: People like to make stuff up about players they dislike. Here's how easy it is.

Having dealt with ms87's mother while serving her while she was shopping for groceries, I can honestly say that she is the biggest ***** I've ever dealt with. More so than other customers.

there are many things I admire about Murray's game.

its silly that you dismiss my post simply because you don't like it. how do you suggest I "back it up"? I'm just stating my opinion.

Breaker
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Also a few months back someone claimed on this board that there was a news article about Murray throwing coffee in someone's face IN ENGLAND. Yet somehow no evidence to back up that claim could be found.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
there are many things I admire about Murray's game.

its silly that you dismiss my post simply because you don't like it. how do you suggest I "back it up"? I'm just stating my opinion.

It's not because I don't like it. I've just heard it before and it was a load of nonsense. Like I said, one guy said he saw Murray not only refuse to give a kid an autograph, but push him away.

Have you ever seen Murray signing autographs? I can scarcely think of anything less likely than him pushing a child away.

Back it up by giving examples. What did he do or say that made him, in your eyes, a dick?

Sarzy
06-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I would like Murray to make the final, and then get straight setted by Federer. That would make my day.

I think that'll happen.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Also a few months back someone claimed on this board that there was a news article about Murray throwing coffee in someone's face IN ENGLAND. Yet somehow no evidence to back up that claim could be found.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I think it was Love Game who made that claim. I don't think she's had any luck finding that article yet. :lol:

cueboyzn
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
And he says he doesn't care, and he shouldn't. He has said so many positive things about the guy, there was nothing personal about it.

NY Times article.

The British press, always quick to look for Wimbledon rubbing points, has already been emphasizing that Federer has not always been appropriately respectful or complimentary in defeat against the 22-year-old Murray. But Federer said he was at peace with his approach.

“I’ve always been honest. But I’ve always said 100,000 times that he’s an exceptional player with loads of talent, and a player I think will win Grand Slams. I just thought, at one stage, that he’d have, in fact, more success more quickly. Sometimes perhaps I was too severe with him, but he took it too personally. So that’s too bad for him. I don’t care too much what he says. I feel I was always straight with him.”[/I]

Honestly, Federer shouldn't really "care too much" about what Murray says. Murray said Federer said bad things about him his game. Waaaaa! Murray sounds like some schoolboy spoilt brat just because Federer made some critical comments about his game that Murray went off to tell his Mommy about. Now his Mommy will probably write an article to the Telegraph about it and it'll get prime time coverage on the back (and front?) page. Typical British media hype. Honestly the British Press is despised just for this reason, they are a load of journalistic hacks with whom sensationalism is the order of the day.

Honestly if you were Federer, the generally-accepted G.O.A.T. acclaimed by almost everyone from Sampras, Agassi, to McEnroe and Laver, with almost $50 million in prize money alone, and the poster-boy good looks and celebrity lifestyle, would you honestly care what some ugly scottish kid with 0 grand slams to his name said, someone that only beat you in non-GS events over 3 sets and you spanked his *** in the only real big mach you ever played against each other? Fed has not only won 14 Grand Slams but equalled Lendl's record of 19 GS Finals. How many Grand Slam finals did Murray get to? A single solitary 1. Murray seems to want to ride on his H2H with Federer but seems to want everyone to forget the little big fact about his wins against Federer: they all came in non-Grand Slam events.

I doubt very much Federer really gives a flying continental what Murray has to say. Federer like all truly great champions lets their game do the talking not their mouth. Murray, Djokovic, they do just the opposite, their mouth surpasses their game by some considerable margin.

Clydey2times
06-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Honestly, Federer shouldn't really "care too much" about what Murray says. Murray said Federer said bad things about him his game. Waaaaa! Murray sounds like some schoolboy spoilt brat just because Federer made some critical comments about his game that Murray went off to tell his Mommy about. Now his Mommy will probably write an article to the Telegraph about it and it'll get prime time coverage on the back (and front?) page. Typical British media hype. Honestly the British Press is despised just for this reason, they are a load of journalistic hacks with whom sensationalism is the order of the day.

Honestly if you were Federer, the generally-accepted G.O.A.T. acclaimed by almost everyone from Sampras, Agassi, to McEnroe and Laver, with almost $50 million in prize money alone, and the poster-boy good looks and celebrity lifestyle, would you honestly care what some ugly scottish kid with 0 grand slams to his name said, someone that only beat you in non-GS events over 3 sets and you spanked his *** in the only real big mach you ever played against each other? Fed has not only won 14 Grand Slams but equalled Lendl's record of 19 GS Finals. How many Grand Slam finals did Murray get to? A single solitary 1. Murray seems to want to ride on his H2H with Federer but seems to want everyone to forget the little big fact about his wins against Federer: they all came in non-Grand Slam events.

I doubt very much Federer really gives a flying continental what Murray has to say. Federer like all truly great champions lets their game do the talking not their mouth. Murray, Djokovic, they do just the opposite, their mouth surpasses their game by some considerable margin.

You're right. Federer beat him in all those Grand Slam matches. I mean, he's beaten him over 5 sets on a number of occasions.

mikro112
06-21-2009, 11:53 PM
I really hope Murray gets either into the final against Federer and Federer kicks his butt in three straight sets; or Murray (aka "the #1 Wimbledon Favorite" [/sarcasm]) exits before the QF.

Leublu tennis
06-21-2009, 11:57 PM

Oh wait, a lot of people already do that.Good observation. I would still like to know what DelP said about Murray's mum, if anything. It sure got Murray pi*sed.

illuminati
06-22-2009, 12:24 AM
i hope murray kicks federer's arse. someone has to bring federer's ego back down to earth, its unbearable right now the gloating of that ego. since nadal is not there to bring federer back to earth, murray and djokovic has to step upto the plate. we saw in the french when there is no nadal, federer cruises to these slams. there needs to be balance in the mens game and nadal provided that but now in his absence someone has to step upto the plate.
losing nadal is a massive blow for the balance of mens tennis, now its grossly overbalanced towards federer. not healthy for the sport. a fit and healthy nadal can pretty much take the entire mens locker room to the clearners 90% of the time!

murray and djokovic has to play well. they need to stop dropping their nuts in slams against federer.

mandy01
06-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Its clear Fed has nothing personal against Murray and only justified himself.
I dont think it bothers him what Murray thinks,since he obviously has more pressing matters on his mind both personally and professionally.
So its not a Mac-Connors kinda thing
I dont give a rats *** about Murray.I like his game and he is still my second favourite player but his 'talk the talk' is of no concern to me as of now.

P_Agony
06-22-2009, 01:08 AM

I bet Djokovic would have traded those two victories over Roger (Miami and Rome) for that shiny Roland Garros trophy. Maybe even for the shiny Madrid plate.

SikSerb
06-22-2009, 01:14 AM
lol people looking into something thats not there.

malakas
06-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I found this when Murray calls his coach a f*cking twat .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9TzSjzgZzI

but I think he also swore at his mother,I am sure I had seen this somewhere.I had forgotten but it all came back now.

malakas
06-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Good observation. I would still like to know what DelP said about Murray's mum, if anything. It sure got Murray pi*sed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muM-UQc_Tnk

sh@de
06-22-2009, 01:24 AM
I think that'll happen.

I doubt it will... but if it did happen, it'd also make my day.

illuminati
06-22-2009, 01:34 AM
I bet Djokovic would have traded those two victories over Roger (Miami and Rome) for that shiny Roland Garros trophy. Maybe even for the shiny Madrid plate.

i bet federer would have traded some of those slams and money for a little bit of charisma on court, instead of being robotic! federer is dull and boring like sampras. they could buy some charisma with their money.

mandy01
06-22-2009, 01:41 AM
i bet federer would have traded some of those slams and money for a little bit of charisma on court, instead of being robotic! federer is dull and boring like sampras. they could buy some charisma with their money.
Thats your opinion..for his fans,he has plenty of charisma.

malakas
06-22-2009, 01:41 AM

federer is very charismatic and if you can't see it you lose.
He has the charisma AND the slam trophies!:D

joeri888
06-22-2009, 01:50 AM

If charisma is fistpumping after every point, I agree with you. However, the last year and a half, federer's been a lot more vocal than I remember Pete ever being. And because he doesn't do it that often I especiallylike it. I like guys like Hewitt, Safin as well. But if Lleyton yells come on, or Safin smashes a racket, it never really gets be going the way Roer does. When he does it you know something is up.

illuminati
06-22-2009, 01:50 AM
federer is very charismatic and if you can't see it you lose.
He has the charisma AND the slam trophies!:D

federer has charisma? ROFLMFAO!!!
federer is a great player and possibly best ever and has many things but one thing federer definitely doesnt have is charisma! he shows no emotions, absolutely nothing, not a word, not a smile, not a fist pump or whatever, just not anything of any kind. people thinking that federer has charisma are the delusional fangirls and fanboys that sniff little boys booty holes for a hobby.

malakas
06-22-2009, 01:52 AM
federer is a great player and possibly best ever and has many things but one thing federer definitely doesnt have is charisma! he shows no emotions, absolutely nothing, not a word, not a smile, not a fist pump or whatever, just not anything of any kind. people thinking that federer has charisma are the delusional fangirls and fanboys that sniff little boys booty holes for a hobby.

ahh so for someone to think that fed is charismatic she has to sniff little boys booty holes for a hobby right??

bye!!!:)

mandy01
06-22-2009, 01:55 AM
federer is a great player and possibly best ever and has many things but one thing federer definitely doesnt have is charisma! he shows no emotions, absolutely nothing, not a word, not a smile, not a fist pump or whatever, just not anything of any kind. people thinking that federer has charisma are the delusional fangirls and fanboys that sniff little boys booty holes for a hobby. Wow..you're being pretty crass and rude already..Whats it to you if his fans find him charismatic?Our definition of 'charisma' is certainly different but that dosent mean we are what you described us like..Sheesh..You've just started posting and you've already got personal :roll:

illuminati
06-22-2009, 02:04 AM
If charisma is fistpumping after every point, I agree with you. However, the last year and a half, federer's been a lot more vocal than I remember Pete ever being. And because he doesn't do it that often I especiallylike it. I like guys like Hewitt, Safin as well. But if Lleyton yells come on, or Safin smashes a racket, it never really gets be going the way Roer does. When he does it you know something is up.

charisma is not fist pumping, its anything showing emotion. like safin raising his arms looking into the sky or talking to himself or hewitts comeon, or roddicks antics, just whatever it maybe, just showing some personality. federer doesnt have a personality, great player, but charisma and personality is something he doesnt have. but hey he is still a great player like sampras. lets put it this way, federer is not an entertainer, he is just a tennis player, while someone like a safin,roddick or nadal are tennis players as well as entertainers. and in the 21st century, that entertainment factor is very important, showing charisma and personality on court, whether its liked or disliked by people, its draws viewers.

just look at nadal for example, people watch him even though they hate him or love him because he brings alot of passion, emotion, charisma and personaltity along with his tennis, same with roddick.
federer comes on court plays a full match without opening his mouth or putting a smile or waving his arms or showing any emotion and beats the heck outta his opponent, thanks the crowd and he is off.
thats what sampras did, u can say he does what he knows, but in the modern day, u gotta show charisma and personality to get viewers wanting more. like djokovics impersonations, u get viewers, that is charisma and personaltity.

showing no charisma and no personality doesnt make federer a bad player, its just that he is not what u call an entertainer. say in other sports, u get entertainers like rossi in motogp, john daly and tiger in golf, etc.

when sampras was playing i automatically went to sleep, because its the same thing over and over again. federer and sampras are the kids in school that are goody goods, always disciplined and teachers pet kinda guys.

its the best way to describe/ make my point

illuminati
06-22-2009, 02:06 AM
its not personal attacks im just irritated that people say federer has charisma, when he clearly does not. its like saying the earth is a triangle when its clearly not!
dont take it personally

P_Agony
06-22-2009, 02:07 AM

Federer is very boring, that's why he is probably the most popular tennis player of all time, has most crowd on his side in every match, won the fan favorite award multiple times.

malakas
06-22-2009, 02:08 AM
its not personal attacks im just irritated that people say federer has charisma, when he clearly does not. its like saying the earth is a triangle when its clearly not!
dont take it personally

this was personal attack,if you want to stay here,you shouldn't insult like that.It's not mtf here.We try to be more civilised.

zagor
06-22-2009, 02:11 AM
dont take it personally

I agree,we all know earth is flat in reality.

mandy01
06-22-2009, 02:11 AM
dont take it personally
All of this is your opinion...and you attacking others this way for them expressing their opinions is being rude unwantedly.
I and many think Federer has charisma whether you like it or not.Period.

P_Agony
06-22-2009, 02:12 AM
charisma is not fist pumping, its anything showing emotion. like safin raising his arms looking into the sky or talking to himself or hewitts comeon, or roddicks antics, just whatever it maybe, just showing some personality. federer doesnt have a personality, great player, but charisma and personality is something he doesnt have. but hey he is still a great player like sampras. lets put it this way, federer is not an entertainer, he is just a tennis player, while someone like a safin,roddick or nadal are tennis players as well as entertainers. and in the 21st century, that entertainment factor is very important, showing charisma and personality on court, whether its liked or disliked by people, its draws viewers.

just look at nadal for example, people watch him even though they hate him or love him because he brings alot of passion, emotion, charisma and personaltity along with his tennis, same with roddick.
federer comes on court plays a full match without opening his mouth or putting a smile or waving his arms or showing any emotion and beats the heck outta his opponent, thanks the crowd and he is off.
thats what sampras did, u can say he does what he knows, but in the modern day, u gotta show charisma and personality to get viewers wanting more. like djokovics impersonations, u get viewers, that is charisma and personaltity.

showing no charisma and no personality doesnt make federer a bad player, its just that he is not what u call an entertainer. say in other sports, u get entertainers like rossi in motogp, john daly and tiger in golf, etc.

when sampras was playing i automatically went to sleep, because its the same thing over and over again. federer and sampras are the kids in school that are goody goods, always disciplined and teachers pet kinda guys.

Federer is not an entertainer? Then how come the seats in his matches are always full? How come many great player admit Federer has the most beautiful tennis they have ever seen? Federer pulls some shots nobody can, and he does it on a regular basis.

Roger staying quiet on court and focusing in the match does not mean he's got no charisma or personality. His game is all about personality - he let's his beautiful strokes speak for themselvs.

P.S - I usually don't watch Nadal, because his game bores me. When I watch his matches it's usually because of his opponent. Just by looking at the match threads, it's usually Nadal fans who watch Roger's matches all the time, and not vice versa.

mandy01
06-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Federer is not an entertainer? Then how come the seats in his matches are always full? How come many great player admit Federer has the most beautiful tennis they have ever seen? Federer pulls some shots nobody can, and he does it on a regular basis.

Roger staying quiet on court and focusing in the match does not mean he's got no charisma or personality. His game is all about personality - he let's his beautiful strokes speak for themselvs.
True that.He's on court to play tennis and not get into antics.
He plays the sport and plays it in the most beautiful way I've ever seen.Thats all I and his fans care for and the fact that he's one of the few players who dont have regular antics makes me like him even more.
Even if he dosent win another title in his life he will be one of the most charismatic player ever, for me.

illuminati
06-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Federer is very boring, that's why he is probably the most popular tennis player of all time, has most crowd on his side in every match, won the fan favorite award multiple times.

most of federers fans(atleast 80%) are older people. they like his traditional textbook style of play more 20th century old school brand of tennis. while nadal plays a very unique style more 21st century modern day style of athletic abilty combined into tennis. its like federer is classical music while nadal is hip hop music. nadals game and personality and charisma appeals to most younger people, whereas federers appeals to older people.

since tennis tickets are very expensive most young people can never get into stadiums to watch it u can see young people in the practise courts etc.
so since most of federers fans are older people, most stadiums are full of federer fans. and as for ur fan favourite award, u dont get many younger people going to these sites and voting, only some, they are doing some other crap like partying or boozing or whatever. im a young person, im 21 years old. so i didnt bother voting for these things, doesnt appeal to me who wins it. unless u get a text voting thing during the entire tennis season, u wont get many or should i say all of the younger people voting!

mandy01
06-22-2009, 02:24 AM
most of federers fans(atleast 80%) are older people. they like his traditional textbook style of play more 20th century old school brand of tennis. while nadal plays a very unique style more 21st century modern day style of athletic abilty combined into tennis. its like federer is classical music while nadal is hip hop music. nadals game and personality and charisma appeals to most younger people, whereas federers appeals to older people.

Whoa! Who gives you these ideas? There are millions of young fans who have Roger as their favourite player.

Sentinel
06-22-2009, 02:31 AM

my god, what utter craaap !

Thats IT !!!! Never Never Never again reading your posts, Mr Illuminati.

joeri888
06-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Well, okay I agree with Illuminati (are they really back? I heard Dan said something like that) that my main reason for loving Federer is his tennis. His tennis IMO, is the most entertaining tennis I've ever seen. Sampras was a bit of a quiet personality, but also had a more boring game. Federer's game is just pure excitement.

I won't say Federer has the same charisma a Safin has, or even a guy like Andy Roddick, but he sure has got something. At least for me. Especially in the 2000-2003 years he was a very charismatic guy. Now since he's not no.1 anymore he does a lot more as well, but still he'll never be a Safin, no. His tennis does the entertainment, and that's what we like most no? For me, most fistpumps are actually more appalling then a sign of charisma. The Murray fistpumps on opponents errors and basically every point make me sick. The Rafa of old was terrible too, with that one leg up, and the big fistpump. I hate that kind of things, I can actually ENJOY the fact that a player doesn't even smile after hitting an insane shot at BP down you know.. It's a kind of attitude I love. I guess we're different in that respect. I agree fed doesn't show much personality on court, but he certainly does off the court imo.

zagor
06-22-2009, 02:36 AM

since tennis tickets are very expensive most young people can never get into stadiums to watch it u can see young people in the practise courts etc.
so since most of federers fans are older people, most stadiums are full of federer fans. and as for ur fan favourite award, u dont get many younger people going to these sites and voting, only some, they are doing some other crap like partying or boozing or whatever. im a young person, im 21 years old. so i didnt bother voting for these things, doesnt appeal to me who wins it. unless u get a text voting thing during the entire tennis season, u wont get many or should i say all of the younger people voting!

Lol at Fed being old school,don't be clueless.Yes Fed has plenty of touch and flaire and is capable of playing all-court tennis but the guy is mainly a power baseliner,he wouldn't dominate this era to this degree if he wasn't one.

If you want to see old school style today,watch Taylor Dent.

canuckfan
06-22-2009, 02:37 AM
most of federers fans(atleast 80%) are older people.

Hey, Illuminati, did you know that 40% of people believe in statistics? Isn't that cool how anyone can make numbers up?

canuckfan
06-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Fed isn't a flamboyant entertainer on court. He's simply an unbelievable tennis player, especially in 04-07. If you're looking for extracurricular entertainment and are unable to understand the beauty of the tennis (as opposed to other sideshow antics), federer's not the problem -- you are.

Clydey2times
06-22-2009, 02:43 AM
I found this when Murray calls his coach a f*cking twat .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9TzSjzgZzI

but I think he also swore at his mother,I am sure I had seen this somewhere.I had forgotten but it all came back now.

He did not. And I wish you wouldn't insist on spreading a completely false rumour. He did not shout or swear at his mum.

Sentinel
06-22-2009, 03:17 AM

Come to think of it yes. He swore at his mum just after birth, in baby tongue, after he saw his face in the mirror.

OTMPut
06-22-2009, 03:31 AM
most of federers fans(atleast 80%) are older people.

Impressive. You counted all the fans and considered their age and worked out this %. Truly impressive.

while nadal plays a very unique style more 21st century modern day style of athletic abilty combined into tennis.

federer is the fittest guy on the tour. at 23 nadal lost his knees. pse do not call that modern tennis. i do not want my son to have taped knees when he is 23.

its like federer is classical music while nadal is hip hop music. nadals game and personality and charisma appeals to most younger people, whereas federers appeals to older people.

you cannot cook up your own analogy and prove some thing completely different.

older people perhaps seen more tennis esp across generaitons to distinguish what is beautiful from what is not. not unlike some like you who has probbaly seen just nadal in pirates costume and menacing look and running like a rabbit. pse do not denigrate hip hop music. ;)

and as for ur fan favourite award, u dont get many younger people going to these sites and voting, only some, they are doing some other crap like partying or boozing or whatever.

i thought internet is a favorite hang out of younger people like you.

For 21 you sound very naive. What a strategic mistake!

OTMPut
06-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Come to think of it yes. He swore at his mum just after birth, in baby tongue, after he saw his face in the mirror.

saar engayo poitteenga saar.
kalakkitteenga saar

illuminati
06-22-2009, 03:34 AM
i see, that i have hit a few nevers around herer.
look, federer is a great player, he just doesnt appeal to me, how do u say it, federer is not my cup of tea. his brand of tennis doesnt appeal to me, to me he has perfected the tennis text book, while i have to say i enjoy nadal's freaking athletic tennis. its just my taste. i like to see in any sport a guy play their respective sport out of the ordinary and away from the text book and have success with it. always great to see someone finding their own unique style and getting the success with it. federer plays beautiful tennis, easy on the eye tennis, but its just not for me. dont hate, its just me. i like to see a fighter, a scrapper, an emotional rollercoaster kinda thing, u get that with a nadal. for me even though im 21 years old, i would have supported a player like bjorn borg and andre agassi if i was in those times. that kinda player appeals to me.

illuminati
06-22-2009, 03:43 AM
older people perhaps seen more tennis esp across generaitons to distinguish what is beautiful from what is not. not unlike some like you who has probbaly seen just nadal in pirates costume and menacing look and running like a rabbit.

proves my point. ur older person, thus think nadals game is crap. this is the point im making. for younger people, nadals game is what tennis is all about. for me federers game does not impress me. federer is like the smart nerdy kid this is popular for his smartness and nadal is like the cool popular kid, popular for his looks, brashness, and all that.

i dont like federer's game, and nothing or nobody will ever change that. that is for damn sure.

malakas
06-22-2009, 04:01 AM
He did not. And I wish you wouldn't insist on spreading a completely false rumour. He did not shout or swear at his mum.

since I can't find a link or some evidence I won't insist on this.I don't say this out of spite,I just say what I remember.Maybe I got mixed it up with someone else..
anyway as you see,he was very abusive to his coach so you cannot say that the other poster here,completely made that up.He could very well had personal first hand experience and just posting his opinion.
It is true that Murray behaves much better on court nowadays of course,it's an improvement I am very pleased as a neutral fan to see.

malakas
06-22-2009, 04:03 AM
proves my point. ur older person, thus think nadals game is crap. this is the point im making. for younger people, nadals game is what tennis is all about. for me federers game does not impress me. federer is like the smart nerdy kid this is popular for his smartness and nadal is like the cool popular kid, popular for his looks, brashness, and all that.

i dont like federer's game, and nothing or nobody will ever change that. that is for damn sure.

I'm 21 and believe that Federer has a lot more charisma than Nadal.
Nadal with his let's fight attitude,aggresive stares and fistpumps completely puts me off.
But I agree that maybe he is more handsome than Federer.Of course not Safin.

TheNatural
06-22-2009, 05:28 AM
I wander if Federer has taken the last 5 losses in a row v Murray personally. It sounds like he has.

SempreSami
06-22-2009, 05:42 AM
DoubleDeuce up to his usual Murray trolling I see.

Old habits die hard. :roll:

nikdom
06-22-2009, 06:02 AM
I don't see this section in the actual NYTimes article -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/sp...tennis.html?hp

DoubleDeuce
06-22-2009, 06:18 AM
I don't see this section in the actual NYTimes article -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/sp...tennis.html?hp

The link u provided is broken

nikdom
06-22-2009, 06:25 AM
The link u provided is broken

This should work -

OTMPut
06-22-2009, 06:32 AM

Nothing has proved any of your point. FYI, i am not old at all.

If nadal's game is what tennis is all about for younger people (read YOU), then my sympathies for their ignorance. However this is not true for anyone who is a tiny bit informed about tennis.

Pse do not confuse quality of tennis with how a guy looks. Your judgment is a bit like a 12 year old's for whom, perhaps, anything with a pair of t*ts is damn s*xy.

Guru
06-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Federer has a poor record against Nadal, Murray
and Djokovic this year.

tahiti
06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
If you read Murray's comments around the net, he clearly favours Rafa and speaks of him highly and even says he's the player he most likes to watch. Female pros seem to prefer Rafa too or rather are more verbal in their praise of him than Roger. They would definitely know more.

Why shouldn't Murray take it personally, when Fed makes a statement it's to be read everywhere so it gets personal.

8PAQ
06-22-2009, 07:23 AM

+1

(ten chars)

illuminati
06-22-2009, 10:13 AM
If you read Murray's comments around the net, he clearly favours Rafa and speaks of him highly and even says he's the player he most likes to watch. Female pros seem to prefer Rafa too or rather are more verbal in their praise of him than Roger. They would definitely know more.

Why shouldn't Murray take it personally, when Fed makes a statement it's to be read everywhere so it gets personal.

well even some younger mens player like nishikori said he loves rafa. tennis is about athletic ability as well as tennis skills. nadal fits perfectly into the modern game. but u know old people are very primitive people, u cant teach an old dog new tricks. they prefer the 20th century style textbook tennis of federers. younger people are very progessive people. anyone older than 25 is considered old in what im describing. nadal plays the way the sport should be played in the 21st century, nadals athletic ability combined with his tennis is just incredible. i heard nadal is like a 2 hancipper in golf as well, and he is a very good footballer too. just an all round pure athlete, an all round sportsman. a bloody champion.

NamRanger
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
well even some younger mens player like nishikori said he loves rafa. tennis is about athletic ability as well as tennis skills. nadal fits perfectly into the modern game. but u know old people are very primitive people, u cant teach an old dog new tricks. they prefer the 20th century style textbook tennis of federers. younger people are very progessive people. anyone older than 25 is considered old in what im describing. nadal plays the way the sport should be played in the 21st century, nadals athletic ability combined with his tennis is just incredible. i heard nadal is like a 2 hancipper in golf as well, and he is a very good footballer too. just an all round pure athlete, an all round sportsman. a bloody champion.

If you knew anything about Federer, you would know that his game is anything but textbook. Graceful and pleasing to the eye, yes. But not textbook at all. Not even in the slightest bit.

Roddickfan155
06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
hey murray how bout u go and get a tan and some guns before u commit the crime of indecent exposure like that hahah

Pseudonym
06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh goodness.

The press will do anything to have another Mac-Connors feud, huh?

I think the only hate or dislike comes from Federer and Djokovic. Djokovic is essentially a spoiled brat, and that is fueled even more by his overzealous parents. Why all the hate for Federer? Did him beating your son in a Grand Slam really hurt you that much?

icedevil0289
06-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Oh goodness.

The press will do anything to have another Mac-Connors feud, huh?

I think the only hate or dislike comes from Federer and Djokovic. Djokovic is essentially a spoiled brat, and that is fueled even more by his overzealous parents. Why all the hate for Federer? Did him beating your son in a Grand Slam really hurt you that much?

I really think they don't hate or dislike each other. Whatever happened between them was in the past and djokovic has matured a lot and he really should not be held responsible for whatever his parents said.

illuminati
06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
djokovic and his family absolutely hates federer to the very core, they cannot stand the guy. federer hates the djokovics as well but not to the same hatred. its like how nadal and soderling hate eachother.

VivalaVida
06-22-2009, 07:59 PM

Female players are very verbal about being fans of federer as well. Venus, Ivanovic, Evert, Kuzentsova,Serena.. Anways, not that what they say is highly important. Federer is by far more popular then Nadal in most of the world as proven countless polls and crowds around the world. Being Fan favorite even in 2008 speaks a great deal about how popular federer is. I am glad that federer has made it clear to Murray that he is not gonna be a complete wuss and apologize or care about what he thinks of him.

icedevil0289
06-22-2009, 08:04 PM
djokovic and his family absolutely hates federer to the very core, they cannot stand the guy. federer hates the djokovics as well but not to the same hatred. its like how nadal and soderling hate eachother.

umm......NO, just NO!!!

DoubleDeuce
06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
This should work -

Yes, the last paragraph has been removed. Probably because they cited another source without verification and maybe out of the context.

TennisFan481
06-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Oh please...you're so clueless.

Charisma is not only about personality, but it's also about having a distinguished look that people find interesting. Federer has always had this going for him.

But as far as personality/emotions are concerned--are you freak'n serious? Have you missed the COUNTLESS times he's shouted "COME ON" after winning a big point? The "NINE!!!" when he misses a shot? The crying after winning AND losing a final?

The guy has always had a lot of personality, he just chooses to hold it in because it used to really detract from his play. He was originally a racket smasher who could give even Ivanisevic and Safin a run for their money back in his junior years. Even today, when he has a very frustrating match, he eventually blows up.

veroniquem
06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
He's so hypocritical, it's a riot. I particularly love the "but I had a sore back and all that!" protest (about his loss to Murray at the master cup), coming from the guy who keeps bellowing " if you're not fit enough, don't play, no excuse" every time a player retires or is injured, from the guy who said at RG " I can tell Nadal is not hurting". Priceless. Keep them coming Fed, you make my day!

veroniquem
06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
In order to be less charismatic than Federer, you'd have to be in a coma...

malakas
06-22-2009, 10:08 PM
In order to be less charismatic than Federer, you'd have to be in a coma...

I guess Nadal is in a coma?:confused:

SikSerb
06-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Theres some Federer hatred up in here.

illuminati
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
tennis needs nadal, he is the biggest superstar in world tennis whatever rank he is, nadal's unique style and charisma means there is always talk about him. alot of people from other sports at the olympics apparently were all over nadal for autogrpahs and pics. even michael phelps said he is a massive nadal fan. some of the american nba guys said that as well. he has that cool swagger about him that borg and agassi had, but nadal is a combination of borg and agassi. that swagger attracts alot of young fans to nadal. fans of federer are old and not the cool loving type of people, they prefer tradition and old school things.

OddJack
06-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I guess Nadal is in a coma?:confused:

Muhahahhaha...

good one,

by the way, you have the ugliest avatar

OTMPut
06-22-2009, 10:30 PM
tennis needs nadal, he is the biggest superstar in world tennis whatever rank he is, nadal's unique style and charisma means there is always talk about him.

i really hope nadal goes away quickly; that he retires before my son starts watching tennis. i really don't want him to emulate his game and end up with broken knees when he is in early twenties.

it pains me to see kids in bermudas and vests with a big babolat racket needlessly groaning and running around the court needlessly.

malakas
06-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Muhahahhaha...

good one,

by the way, you have the ugliest avatar

thanx.It's my picture.:)

TennisFan481
06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
tennis needs nadal, he is the biggest superstar in world tennis whatever rank he is, nadal's unique style and charisma means there is always talk about him. alot of people from other sports at the olympics apparently were all over nadal for autogrpahs and pics. even michael phelps said he is a massive nadal fan. some of the american nba guys said that as well. he has that cool swagger about him that borg and agassi had, but nadal is a combination of borg and agassi. that swagger attracts alot of young fans to nadal. fans of federer are old and not the cool loving type of people, they prefer tradition and old school things.

Yeah duuuude, you're so right--young people know all about "cool loving" and stuff. We oldies are just stuck in the past...in those horrible 80's and 90's when the world was so much worse, yo.

Back then, sports weren't watered down, people actually DID stuff...people actually TALKED to people...in, *GASP*, PERSON. Television broadcasting was professional, play-by-play announcers had strong, powerful, epic voices. Television shows and music were thought out and required actual talent. Numerous things in life were done with loads of creativity and wit.

Who wants that?

Noooo...can't have that. Can't be stuck in the past, gotta keep moving forward. Screw Federer and his old school elegance and demeanor...we need more Rafael Nadal's. We also need more cell phones. We need to put roofs on all the stadiums so that the entire season is just an indoor tournament. Do away with clay and grass--they're old school. Everything should be on hard court. Course, then Nadal's knees would break into pieces, so we need our scientists to get to work on higher quality artificial knees for him instead of curing the diseases that kill people.

Heck, scratch that. You know what? Playing tennis is stupid. That requires PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.

Let's just have all the players play against each other on their cell phones. Then after the match, they can access their twitter and facebook pages and post pictures of themselves getting hammered after the match while texting their best buddies. Nadal can upload a zwinky avatar of him doing a fist pump after winning his cell phone tennis match against Roger Federer.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Oh, and for the record--I'm 24.

mandy01
06-22-2009, 10:58 PM
He's so hypocritical, it's a riot. I particularly love the "but I had a sore back and all that!" protest (about his loss to Murray at the master cup), coming from the guy who keeps bellowing " if you're not fit enough, don't play, no excuse" every time a player retires or is injured, from the guy who said at RG " I can tell Nadal is not hurting". Priceless. Keep them coming Fed, you make my day! Pathetic....
There is difference between being 'tired' after a match and being really injured.Did you bother to see how much pain he was in when he played that match?!
Nadal's movement DID NOT look hampered in the Madrid final..he could've been tired but he was far from limping.
In Pairs Nadal did NOT look dead on his feat...he took no medical time-outs either which is unusual for a guy who takes them for every little amount of pain then comes back running like a rabbit.
Roger did NOT say Nadal isnt injured...but in Paris he looked fine..he demolished Hewitt in the previous round.
Also,he WON (not just played) 5 tournaments...

mandy01
06-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Female players are very verbal about being fans of federer as well. Venus, Ivanovic, Evert, Kuzentsova,Serena.. Anways, not that what they say is highly important. Federer is by far more popular then Nadal in most of the world as proven countless polls and crowds around the world. Being Fan favorite even in 2008 speaks a great deal about how popular federer is. I am glad that federer has made it clear to Murray that he is not gonna be a complete wuss and apologize or care about what he thinks of him.Add Navratilova,Tracy Austin,Davenport to the list :D....The ones I can remember..Roger is extremely popular among the WTA players too ..I guess Nadal fans just love to twist facts and talk nonsense..

illuminati
06-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Yeah duuuude, you're so right--young people know all about "cool loving" and stuff. We oldies are just stuck in the past...in those horrible 80's and 90's when the world was so much worse, yo.

Back then, sports weren't watered down, people actually DID stuff...people actually TALKED to people...in, *GASP*, PERSON. Television broadcasting was professional, play-by-play announcers had strong, powerful, epic voices. Television shows and music were thought out and required actual talent. Numerous things in life were done with loads of creativity and wit.

Who wants that?

Noooo...can't have that. Can't be stuck in the past, gotta keep moving forward. Screw Federer and his old school elegance and demeanor...we need more Rafael Nadal's. We also need more cell phones. We need to put roofs on all the stadiums so that the entire season is just an indoor tournament. Do away with clay and grass--they're old school. Everything should be on hard court. Course, then Nadal's knees would break into pieces, so we need our scientists to get to work on higher quality artificial knees for him instead of curing the diseases that kill people.

Heck, scratch that. You know what? Playing tennis is stupid. That requires PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.

Let's just have all the players play against each other on their cell phones. Then after the match, they can access their twitter and facebook pages and post pictures of themselves getting hammered after the match while texting their best buddies. Nadal can upload a zwinky avatar of him doing a fist pump after winning his cell phone tennis match against Roger Federer.

24 is old dude! typical old person. plus i dont think a young person likes old school things apart from the nostalgic left behind children that are stuck in the past.
20th century was dull and boring. if it was up to me i would erase the name of laver and rosewell and co from the tennis record books and ban serve and volley forever.

nadal is 21st century, he has inserted athletic ability into tennis skills, that didnt exist in the past, so we can get rid of those unfit losers like taylor dent, mcenroe and co.

nadal is a very progressive man, tell me who else has the balls to climb into the royal box after winning wimbledon and shake the princes and princess hand? that is 21st century tradition. none of the older generation has dont it, they probably would **** themselves and pull a muscle doing it. or they are too scared, older generation are scared, younger generations are adventerous and brash. rafa has the swagger of 'i dont care what anyone else thinks about me' attitude! i love that, older people are goody goods.

that is why nadal has changed the way this sport forever whether u like them or not. that is something federer will never ever have, brashness, no matter how many slams he wins.

gj011
06-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Yet another bad and arrogant interview by Federer. Nothing new.

malakas
06-23-2009, 12:39 AM
24 is old??? then I guess Nadal should go search for a retirement home.
what you think is young?5??
because I know a lot of posters here,that I believe are 5.:)

illuminati
06-23-2009, 12:51 AM
well 24 is younger than 25 but i think in that case its one of the exception i was saying. i said there are some young people that are very primitive, stuck in the past, the kind of kids that just dont fit into the modern day cool world. they are the young people that like federer.

Sentinel
06-23-2009, 01:06 AM
24 is old dude! typical old person. plus i dont think a young person likes old school things apart from the nostalgic left behind children that are stuck in the past.
20th century was dull and boring. if it was up to me i would erase the name of laver and rosewell and co from the tennis record books and ban serve and volley forever.

nadal is 21st century, he has inserted athletic ability into tennis skills, that didnt exist in the past, so we can get rid of those unfit losers like taylor dent, mcenroe and co.

I must have been hallucinating when I saw Federer getting to dropshots, and balls way outside the court (like with Lu just yesterday), and also hallucinating when i imagined the Nadal has screwed his knees getting to balls.

Illuminated One, Federer and Nadal have played how many matches each year, and in total ???

Great athletic ability if your knees can't take it.

Sentinel
06-23-2009, 01:20 AM

So all you could find was Michael Phelps, for Christ's sake. And people OUTSIDE of tennis.

How about the fact that most of the top pros who actually PLAY WITH Federer, and are in the locker room with him, and know more about him than you or I do, favor him to win, want him to win, and vote him for Sportsmanship awards.

You should be aware that Federer too had a lot of autograph hunters after him at the Olympics, so much that he had to stay outside the village. But such an arrogant guy to stay outside the village, NO ?

I can't believe I am actually still reading and answering your drivel.:twisted:

Sentinel
06-23-2009, 01:26 AM

LOL !!!

Hey, you've already knocked off Federer earlier for being old. Nadal will have to play someone else on his Blackberry/Samsung whatever. Preferably, someone who doesn't quit half-way through due to a nappy rash/runny nose.

And i'm 13, going on 14.

malakas
06-23-2009, 01:27 AM
well 24 is younger than 25 but i think in that case its one of the exception i was saying. i said there are some young people that are very primitive, stuck in the past, the kind of kids that just dont fit into the modern day cool world. they are the young people that like federer.
well..so far a lot of these rare exceptions are gathered here in this thread.:confused:

And thanx for telling me I am primitive and don't fit in to the modern day cool world!:D

malakas
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
LOL !!!

Hey, you've already knocked off Federer earlier for being old. Nadal will have to play someone else on his Blackberry/Samsung whatever. Preferably, someone who doesn't quit half-way through due to a nappy rash/runny nose.

And i'm 13, going on 14.

really??no way!:o thought you would be much much older!;)

illuminati
06-23-2009, 01:33 AM
So all you could find was Michael Phelps, for Christ's sake. And people OUTSIDE of tennis.

How about the fact that most of the top pros who actually PLAY WITH Federer, and are in the locker room with him, and know more about him than you or I do, favor him to win, want him to win, and vote him for Sportsmanship awards.

You should be aware that Federer too had a lot of autograph hunters after him at the Olympics, so much that he had to stay outside the village. But such an arrogant guy to stay outside the village, NO ?

I can't believe I am actually still reading and answering your drivel.:twisted:

actually there were alot more, like alot of athletics people and swimmers, some cyclists, and quite a few of the gymnastics people. the only reason federer wins is because most people on the tour are older generation, more federer's generation like lubicic and co. so of course he will win those awards when 80% of the locker room is 25 years and older. as i said most older players prefer federer and basically all younger people want rafa to win.

nadal is a bloody champion, federer plays a very primitive style, too text bookish for me, just like a kid studying their books and being too bookish while lacking lateral thinking outside the box so to speak. rafa is a very progressive person, he invents his own things, plays such a unique way combining athletisism brilliantly with tennis skills. its a pleasure to watch that man play. rafa is a lateral thinker, he doesnt want to do things the text book way.

nadal is like an inventor.
federer is like a text book perfectionist.

too many people play the text book way, its boring when everyone plays the same style of way, i wanna see someone playing the sport differently, to burn the text book and invent his own way of playing and having success with it.

that is why i will always prefer nadal's style to federer's style.

malakas
06-23-2009, 01:35 AM
too many people play the text book way like Fed??

oh please oh please,show me them!!!

OTMPut
06-23-2009, 01:51 AM
nadal is a very progressive man, tell me who else has the balls to climb into the royal box after winning wimbledon and shake the princes and princess hand? that is 21st century tradition. none of the older generation has dont it, they probably would **** themselves and pull a muscle doing it.

Heard of ivanesevic?

And Prince & Princess? He still respects and bows to prince and princess? That sounds so 19th century to me. Pretty regressive if you respect someone when their sole claim is to have been born in a certain family.

illuminati
06-23-2009, 01:55 AM
too many people play the text book way like Fed??

oh please oh please,show me them!!!

i said, they play the same style as federer's text book style but federer has perfected the text book, so obviously they cant compare to federer, its the same text book style federer and them play, federer has just perfected it.

illuminati
06-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Heard of ivanesevic?

And Prince & Princess? He still respects and bows to prince and princess? That sounds so 19th century to me. Pretty regressive if you respect someone when their sole claim is to have been born in a certain family.

ivanesevic never went into the royal box and shook the hands of royalty. when rafa did that, i was on my feet jumping and yelling 'u goooooo boy'!!!
after that incredible match(greatest match ever played in tennis history) for rafa to do that was the icing on the cake, now people will always remember it. rafa just knows went to make a move that is memorable. he is cool, u cant learn cool, it comes naturally. federer if he won will just raise his arms and blah and the usual kiss the trophy, rafa BITES the trophy, some people like it some dont, but its DIFFERENT, progressive, this is what ive been getting at, rafa is modern day, federer as absolutely brilliant as he is, he is old school.

malakas
06-23-2009, 02:01 AM
i said, they play the same style as federer's text book style but federer has perfected the text book, so obviously they cant compare to federer, its the same text book style federer and them play, federer has just perfected it.

if there's noone who plays like Federer then how Federer can be boring?:D

OTMPut
06-23-2009, 02:04 AM
ivanesevic never went into the royal box and shook the hands of royalty. when rafa did that, i was on my feet jumping and yelling 'u goooooo boy'!!!

you say people respecting royalty are 21st century?!
incredible. even my grandfather does not give a rat's ***** to royalty.

MT319
06-23-2009, 02:33 AM

“well 24 is younger than 25 but i think in that case its one of the exception i was saying. i said there are some young people that are very primitive, stuck in the past, the kind of kids that just dont fit into the modern day cool world. they are the young people that like federer.”- The statement “fit in” to the “modern day cool world” in itself just highlights how big of a tool you are since if you were cool yourself you’d know that being an individual and being your own man living according to your own likes, dislikes, and set of values regardless of what anyone else thinks or says about it is what makes someone “cool” not “fitting in” to the “modern day cool world” like your subordinate follower self. Furthermore I just turned 24 and I started following tennis at the AO 09’ yet I’m also a Federer fan solely because I appreciate the ridiculous level of skill and fluidity the guy has…I don’t care about how many majors he won prior to me following the sport, how many people like him, or any of this other peripheral garbage…I simply just appreciate the guy’s ridiculous level of talent and as a result I enjoy watching the him play the sport…Rafa I don’t like watching because (while certainly effective) his game revolves far too heavily around raw athleticism and I don’t like Murray because his game is too defensive oriented..underlying point here being my like of Federer over Nadal and Murray has absolutely nothing to do with “hanging on to the past” since not only don’t I care about what happened in the past, but I was never even around for it in the first place.

fps
06-23-2009, 02:39 AM
nadal is a very progressive man, tell me who else has the balls to climb into the royal box after winning wimbledon and shake the princes and princess hand? that is 21st century tradition. none of the older generation has dont it, they probably would **** themselves and pull a muscle doing it. or they are too scared, older generation are scared, younger generations are adventerous and brash. rafa has the swagger of 'i dont care what anyone else thinks about me' attitude! i love that, older people are goody goods.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon/bbc_coverage/2006486.stm
pat cash climbed up to his family in 1987 after winning wimbledon.

your post is poorly researched, poorly thought through, and makes you come across like a 7 year old.

then again, you're probably a troll, so no worries.

TennisFan481
06-23-2009, 05:15 PM

that is why nadal has changed the way this sport forever whether u like them or not. that is something federer will never ever have, brashness, no matter how many slams he wins.

Only complete morons and people who know nothing else actually prefer this decade to the prior ones. You're actually singing the praises of homogenization. That says it all right there.

Nadal isn't even close to being the first to insert athleticism into tennis. Ever heard of Bjorn Borg?

Federer himself is a tremendous athlete...he might not have guns like Nadal's, but he can, in the words of Marat Safin, "run like a rabbit."

Not to mention, he's a lot more talented. Nadal has poor technique--he muscles all of his shots, which is why they have far less pace than Federer's (even when he's trying to hit it flat). Federer (and all the guys who can whack the cover off the ball) has a relaxed arm swing.

Federer's fans tend to be those who like watching a player glide around the court and hit winners from all sorts of different angles. Nadal's fans tend to be either women who like his muscles, or people who like that he stepped up to the challenge and became a thorn in Federer's side.

By the way, Illuminati=Old School.

Anyway, I'm off to write my will. At my age, you've gotta face reality.

Nadal_Freak
06-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Only complete morons and people who know nothing else actually prefer this decade to the prior ones. You're actually singing the praises of homogenization. That says it all right there.

Nadal isn't even close to being the first to insert athleticism into tennis. Ever heard of Bjorn Borg?

Federer himself is a tremendous athlete...he might not have guns like Nadal's, but he can, in the words of Marat Safin, "run like a rabbit."

Not to mention, he's a lot more talented. Nadal has poor technique--he muscles all of his shots, which is why they have far less pace than Federer's (even when he's trying to hit it flat). Federer (and all the guys who can whack the cover off the ball) has a relaxed arm swing.

Federer's fans tend to be those who like watching a player glide around the court and hit winners from all sorts of different angles. Nadal's fans tend to be either women who like his muscles, or people who like that he stepped up to the challenge and became a thorn in Federer's side.

By the way, Illuminati=Old School.

Only complete morons don't like Nadal. See what I did there. Maybe you should learn about other peoples opinions and that not every opinion other than yours is worthless.

fed_rulz
06-23-2009, 05:55 PM

your post is poorly researched, poorly thought through, and makes you come across like a 7 year old.

then again, you're probably a troll, so no worries.

lol, illuminati's ***** got pwned big-time :)

zagor
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
nadal is a very progressive man, tell me who else has the balls to climb into the royal box after winning wimbledon and shake the princes and princess hand? that is 21st century tradition. none of the older generation has dont it, they probably would **** themselves and pull a muscle doing it. or they are too scared, older generation are scared, younger generations are adventerous and brash. rafa has the swagger of 'i dont care what anyone else thinks about me' attitude! i love that, older people are goody goods..

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotEO905J1g&feature=related

VivalaVida
06-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotEO905J1g&feature=related
didnt pete do that once as well?

zagor
06-23-2009, 08:05 PM
didnt pete do that once as well?

Yes,he did it a year before Goran did in 2000 when he broke Emerson's slam record beating Rafter in the final(same as Goran did).

The Illumated one though asked for the most recent example and that's Goran.

TennisFan481
06-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Only complete morons don't like Nadal. See what I did there. Maybe you should learn about other peoples opinions and that not every opinion other than yours is worthless.

Not everyone's opinion counts equal. Saying "I like the 2000's better than the 80's and 90's" is like saying that you'd prefer to be skinned alive over having a 30 minute orgasm.

Leublu tennis
06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes, so true10

Leublu tennis
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM

then again, you're probably a troll, so no worries.Sounds right11

taggs
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
they like his traditional textbook style of play more 20th century old school brand of tennis

Is Federer an "old school brand" "serve and volleyer"? No. He is first and foremost a baseline player, consistent with 95% of players on tour (see I can make up statistics to), albeit having much more varied tactics (often utilizing an all-court game) than most players. Especially Nadal who refuses to change his tactics at all to the point it forces him to miss a chance at defending his Wimbledon title.

Federer and his game are unique and not textbook, otherwise it would be easy to copy and figure out, thus he would be unable to dominate as he has.

I suggest you actually watch a Federer match or two before posting such false statements about his game.

Oh and I am 18 btw, apparently one of the only ones in our generation not in awe of Nadal's boring grinding style of play, who appreciates the beauty and power of Federer's game.:roll:

malakas
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM

hahahahah isn't it so?
I better begin hiding my age now!