PDA

View Full Version : This counts as clothing for me: what type of sunscreen do you use?

Strut99GT
06-21-2009, 06:58 PM
When I get dressed for a match, I take a "sunscreen bath" first. I have fair skin and burn easily. I use Banana Boat SPF 50 sport right now. However, sometimes my face still gets sunburnt. Does anyone have recommendations for a sports sunscreen that'll really keep the sun off but also works for sensitive skin?

Jim A
06-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Neutrogena Sport - SPF 70 - then i have some spray stuff to reapply during changeovers -

Strut99GT
06-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Neutrogena Sport - SPF 70 - then i have some spray stuff to reapply during changeovers -

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Raphael
06-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I use Coppertone Sport. It comes in various creams and liquids, but I like the spray since its easy to apply. Its non sticky too, so I can use it on my racquet hang without losing feel or grip.

ckledzepplin
06-21-2009, 07:40 PM
i don't use any

GPG
06-21-2009, 07:52 PM
after an hour or an hour and a half you have to put some sunscreen again

ScoopsHaaganDazs
06-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Put it on 15 minutes before you go out on the sun, or whatever the bottle says. Also, reapply every hour or so, or whatever the bottle says. If you sweat a lot, you might want to reapply more often, even if the sunscreen is sweatproof.

[d]ragon
06-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I use Banana Boat Sport SPF 30 or something like that. I don't really know if it's working because I don't sunburn at all (darker skinned)

i don't use any

2 words my friend: SKIN CANCER :wink:

Bud
06-21-2009, 11:20 PM
When I get dressed for a match, I take a "sunscreen bath" first. I have fair skin and burn easily. I use Banana Boat SPF 50 sport right now. However, sometimes my face still gets sunburnt. Does anyone have recommendations for a sports sunscreen that'll really keep the sun off but also works for sensitive skin?

The Neutrogena does work really well. Also, have you tried wearing a cap?

Bud
06-21-2009, 11:22 PM

i don't use any

Thanks for the sports sunscreen recommendation the OP requested :roll:

If you have absolutely nothing to offer save the useless comment.

Duzza
06-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Wow I didn't know we were up to SPF 70 these days.....last I checked most stores in Australia have at best SPF30....and to think we're the sunburnt country! I will check this out... I have a bad habit of forgetting to put sunscreen on...I'm only 19 and quite freckly...I have a bad feeling about the future.

Strut99GT
06-22-2009, 04:19 AM
The Neutrogena does work really well. Also, have you tried wearing a cap?

Oh yeah. I even play in a long sleeve dri-fit shirt to keep the sun off my arms, even when it's over 100 outside.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2m7dyx3.jpg

Just to be clear, guys, I'm a sunscreen "veteran" of sorts. I just burn really easily. I've been using the Banana Boat 50 for years, since it doesn't irritate my skin, isn't too slimy, and gets the job done typically. Sometimes when there is really a boiler, though, I could use some more powerful sunscreen, so I might have to check out the Neutrogena 70 :)

alcap26
06-22-2009, 04:28 AM
You can't get better sunscreen than Blue Lizard. Sweat all you want and it keeps on working.

tennisnoob2
06-22-2009, 01:53 PM
copportone sports spray(65ish?) works amazing. I burn in the spring lol

woodrow1029
06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I have very sensitive skin and I only use Neutrogena Sport. It works well, and my skin doesn't end up in a rash afterwards.

Susandaddy
06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
At the supermarket, they had this liquid zinc stuff for kids faces. It comes is a little metal jar like some lip balms. I spread it on the kids faces and my faces this weekend at the pool and it worked really well

cghipp
06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I use Neutrogena or Aveeno - both are very good.

coyfish
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I use the spray neutrogena spf 70. Fairly light and works well. I played 2 hours in 100+ florida weather at noon last weekend and I didn't get burned. Im pretty tan naturally though so I don't burn THAt easily.

Orion
06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
+1 Nuetrogena. Just bought the 70SPF Sport haven't tried it yet but the regular one works fine. The spray goes on really light and isn't greasy. Hair on my arms and legs makes a lotion pretty irritating for me.

MagPro
06-22-2009, 10:46 PM
CVS has a really good sunscreen it's in a tube for your face etc.. and it contains zinc.

remrusty
06-23-2009, 04:03 AM
http://www.bananaboat.com.au/images/AU_Sport_New_Prod_Powder_Dri.jpg
this powder dri one is great.
when you reapply during a match. towel your face get all the sweat off, then put this on.
maybe cos faces get extra sweaty reapplying with normal suncreen may not go on as good mixed in with sweat

rasajadad
06-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Neutrogena Sport 55

Sleepstream
06-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Aveeno

It took it from a friend, and it seems to work fine.

Blade0324
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I can't specifically speak to the sensative skin aspect but I really like all of the no-ad sunscreens. Usually I put SPF8 on my face for tennis but have used as high as SPF40 from them. I have not found a sunscreen for me that has better protection.

swamlepow
06-23-2009, 10:16 AM
anything without zinc or titanium dioxide doesnt truly block out the suns ultraviolet rays. although probably all of the sunscreens mentioned do protect you from a sunburn they dont block out ultraviolet rays that give you cancer. Anything with a decent precentage of zinc or titanium dioxide should get the job done. I know blue lizard contains one of the two and alot of baby versions of suncreen also do to protect the babys ultra sensitive skin

Raindown
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I use TruKid Sunny Days. Supposed to be highly effective without harmful chemicals.

BorisBeckerFan
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Play indoors.

TheShaun
06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
i heard that bull frog stuff is supposed to be really good. anybody try it?

swamlepow
06-24-2009, 12:01 AM
yeah the bull frog super block is great and wont sweat off but is very thick, it really does block out the sun

alcap26
06-24-2009, 05:51 AM
I used to use bull frog but it is not as good as it used to be. I switched to blue lizard and it is the best out there. After I switched I was told by two dermatologists that they only refer people to use blue lizard and they do not have it in their office. They just tell people to pick it up at CVS or Walgreens. It is not sold at walmart.

ringer
07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
i heard that bull frog stuff is supposed to be really good. anybody try it?

My dad swears by it and he's had numerous pre-cancer sports removed from his face and arms, so he needs something good.

PErsonally I use Coppertone Sport. The only thing I use on my face is Oil of Olay lotion with SPF15 - anything else makes me sweat like crazy and gets in my eyes. I'm a woman, but I can't see why a man couldn't use this - it doesn't smell or anything and its just a lotion. I also wear a cap (frontwards so the bill protects my face). And I wear my sunglasses. I also use the Coppertone on my ears since the cap really exposes them.

babolatboy12
07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Coppertone Sport and Neutrogena

volusiano
07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Consumer Reports recently published an article on sunscreens. You may want to check it out.

Pourbaix
07-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I was doing some research on sunscreen since I am very concern with how UV emissions damage the skin.

As many of you know, the SPF (Sun Protection Factor) is a measure of how well the sunscreen lotion protects the skin against UVB rays (280 - 320 nm wavelenght). The UVB rays burn the skin only. UVA rays have a longer wavelength (320 - 400 nm) and thus penetrate the skin and damage INDIRECTLY the DNA. Both rays damage DNA and UVA was not consider as harmful as UVB rays until studies showed that UVA indirectly damage DNA and contributed to skin cancer.

Many of the sunscreens protect good against UVB rays. UVA rays are reflected by ingredients like Zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and avobenzone. I have two brands of suncreens, Aveeno and Neutrogena Ultimate Sport. As I was reading through the ingredients I found that these two only contain avobenzone as a protection for UVA rays. According to wikipedia.org and some other articles, combining zinc oxide and titanium dioxide gives the best protection against UVA rays. The Clinique Super City Block has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide but obviously is not made for sports and will fall very quickly. I still do not know which of these ingredients is best since the Neutrogena Ultimate Sport is made for people who will be exposed to sun several hours and they only used avobenzone.

Check this link... http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=6895505

To bad there are no indoor courts here.

Bud
07-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I was doing some research on sunscreen since I am very concern with how UV emissions damage the skin.

As many of you know, the SPF (Sun Protection Factor) is a measure of how well the sunscreen lotion protects the skin against UVB rays (280 - 320 nm wavelenght). The UVB rays burn the skin only. UVA rays have a longer wavelength (320 - 400 nm) and thus penetrate the skin and damage INDIRECTLY the DNA. Both rays damage DNA and UVA was not consider as harmful as UVB rays until studies showed that UVA indirectly damage DNA and contributed to skin cancer.

Many of the sunscreens protect good against UVB rays. UVA rays are reflected by ingredients like Zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and avobenzone. I have two brands of suncreens, Aveeno and Neutrogena Ultimate Sport. As I was reading through the ingredients I found that these two only contain avobenzone as a protection for UVA rays. According to wikipedia.org and some other articles, combining zinc oxide and titanium dioxide gives the best protection against UVA rays. The Clinique Super City Block has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide but obviously is not made for sports and will fall very quickly. I still do not know which of these ingredients is best since the Neutrogena Ultimate Sport is made for people who will be exposed to sun several hours and they only used avobenzone.

Check this link... http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=6895505

To bad there are no indoor courts here.

In Consumer Reports, Neutrogena also scored the highest.

dincuss
07-13-2009, 06:06 AM
I personally dont like sprays, just because only my cheeks and shoulders burn (unless I have a shirt). I use coppertone sport face spf30 something.
I cant totally recall, and am too lazy to find out:D