PDA

View Full Version : Attending U.S. Open: qualifiers worth watching??

VictorS.
06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
I have never been to the U.S. Open & plan on doing so this year. I've read before that going to watch the qualifying rounds can sometimes be a fun & rewarding experience. In a sense, you get the experience of seeing high level professional competition, albiet on a slightly lower level. In addition, the crowds here are obviously not nearly as crazy as when the real thing occurs. Ticket prices are of course much lower. In addition, I'm thinking you'll possibly get to see some of the big dogs (top 10-20 players) practicing in preparation for the event.

Anyone who has experience going to the qualifying rounds....is it worth it?

forehand_dude
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Never been to the qualifiers. My only advice is: Do NOT go to a night session. Ashe is a horrible stadium, so big you can barely hear and see the ball. If you go to a day session any time in the first week (including the first weekend) you can walk around and see lots of top pros from up close. A couple of years ago I went on the Saturday and the end of the first week, and saw Kirilenko, Chakvetadze and Mirza from the 3rd row on a small side court, and Murray on the grandstand. Federer was playing on Ashe, but my friends and I turned around and walked out as soon as we saw our nose bleed seats. Going to the smaller courts is much better.

tennisdad65
06-21-2009, 08:39 PM
I thought it was free. I went for the quali's in the early 90s and do not remember having to pay :)

anyways, if it is only $10-20, it is well worth it.

Hankenstein
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
In the qualies event you will see the true backbone of the tennis-world! You will see guys (and girls) fighting extremely hard or virtually for their livehood.

In th equalies you will see career-chainging performances and players that puts in an effort worthy of a Ashe-stadium standing O..

the qualies is so much passion and itīs EASY worth every $.

Tshooter
06-22-2009, 12:43 AM
"Anyone who has experience going to the qualifying rounds....is it worth it?"

Yes. Yes.

", albiet on a slightly lower level."

Not necessarily. Muller made it to the quarters in the main draw starting from the qualies last year. Exclude the seeds from week one and you see almost the same level of tennis in the qualies. In a far more pleasant environment. And there are a ton of matches crammed into four days.

"In addition, the crowds here are obviously not nearly as crazy as when the real thing occurs."

Maybe 5,000 compared to 25,000.

"Ticket prices are of course much lower. "

Its free. It has to be one of the great bargains in all of sport.

"In addition, I'm thinking you'll possibly get to see some of the big dogs (top 10-20 players) practicing in preparation for the event."

Yes, you do. Higher ranked as well. Basically anyone not at New Haven is in NY by the time the qualies start.

And they are generally fairly relaxed. I believe the last time Djokovic publicly went through his repertoire of player impersonations was during his practice sessions in 2007 during qualies week.

Many of the lesser players will practice on the outside courts. Last year Gulbis attracted around 8 people for his practice. The year before I recall seeing Moya play a set with Tursonov. Perhaps three other people watched.

If you go, you will enjoy yourself. It's also a good time for people with very young kids. Or for older people. Anyone that doesn't want to deal with the crowds and the general hassle during the main draw.

The only real alternative that week is to be in New Haven but I think the USO qualies generally has the more interesting matches. Factor in the prices and its a no-brainer.