PDA

View Full Version : Line judges on smaller courts?

TBobLP
06-22-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm watching the Lopez - Beck match on court 18, and it appears there are only two judges in the back and one sideline judge on either side of the net. am i missing something, or is that normal for smaller courts?

woodrow1029
06-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm watching the Lopez - Beck match on court 18, and it appears there are only two judges in the back and one sideline judge on either side of the net. am i missing something, or is that normal for smaller courts?
There are 7 line umpires on the court. One on each baseline, one for the service line, and 2 at each end of the court. When the serve is going to the deuce side, the line umpire behind the receiver on the deuce side calls the side line, and the ad side line umpire calls the center serve line. After the serve, that umpire moves back to the ad side line. Three line umpires on each end of the court are really only used on the show courts at Wimbledon, Roland Garros and Australian Open, plus Davis Cup and Fed Cup. The stationary center serve line umpire is basically just there because it looks better on TV. The ATP has changed their requirement to only need 2 on each end through the finals. The US Open doesn't put a third back there until the semifinals.

TBobLP
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
There are 7 line umpires on the court. One on each baseline, one for the service line, and 2 at each end of the court. When the serve is going to the deuce side, the line umpire behind the receiver on the deuce side calls the side line, and the ad side line umpire calls the center serve line. After the serve, that umpire moves back to the ad side line. Three line umpires on each end of the court are really only used on the show courts at Wimbledon, Roland Garros and Australian Open, plus Davis Cup and Fed Cup. The stationary center serve line umpire is basically just there because it looks better on TV. The ATP has changed their requirement to only need 2 on each end through the finals. The US Open doesn't put a third back there until the semifinals.

i understand this, but there was only one judge on each baseline (calling long balls as opposed to judges who call wide balls). i have never seen that before.

woodrow1029
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
i understand this, but there was only one judge on each baseline (calling long balls as opposed to judges who call wide balls). i have never seen that before.
No, there was one on each sideline on both ends of the court and one on each baseline.