PDA

View Full Version : Best new player you've ever played with?

jackzon
03-23-2005, 03:52 PM
I've often wondered how well an extremely gifted natural athlete would play the first time he picked up a tennis racquet. For instance someone like Danny Ainge - I'm assuming he's a natural as he played both pro baseball and pro basketball. I could imagine it going either way - 1.0 or 5.0 the first day.

My own knowledge here is limited, well, non-existent. I seem to remember reading years ago that Jimmy Brown played intermediate tennis his first day. That's all I remember.

I'd be curious to hear from pros, anybody at all, who knows something about this.

goober
03-23-2005, 07:00 PM
I can assure you that no player, no matter how gifted athletically, could be a 5.0 on the first day or even the first year for that matter. Well I suppose if they were exposed to regular high level coaching and played everyday they could get to a pretty high level in a year but I doubt 5.0.

tykrum
03-23-2005, 08:23 PM
I had a friend in high school that was a decent 3.5 without ever playing more than a few times. He didn't go out for the team until his senior year and he turned out to be one of our 6 best players. He had a slice first and second serve, a topspin forehand and backhand without any wrist action, and good hands at the net. It was pretty incredible really.

ibemadskillzz
03-23-2005, 08:43 PM
that's the case with me in every sport. I just need to play few times then I dominate everyone.

Superior_Forehand
03-24-2005, 06:37 AM
that's the case with me in every sport. I just need to play few times then I dominate everyone.

right.....

bee
03-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Superior Forehand...I thought I was the only one. Danny who? Get real.

thejackal
03-24-2005, 01:24 PM
A friend of mine who rarely plays tennis has a roddick-like serve. It's about as fast as my first serve but doesn't go in often. He plays twice a year though.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-24-2005, 02:22 PM
It is not possible to take first time a racquet and play at 3.5 first day. Impossible !!! For any athlete including marathon running champion or Tyson.

Another story that it is difficult to play with sportsmen if they know tennis more or less and tryed to play say for a year or something. I play probably at 4.0 after 4 years. It happened with me that I played with football-player and with the wrestler. Of course, they were not rookies in tennis, they won me because of great physics, they simply returned all balls from every point not doing right hits. When I wanted to take my 60 seconds interval during the game with the wrsetler he told me that he can't wait because he cools down and he was making some excercises instead of resting.

Scheiner
03-24-2005, 02:43 PM

Yes, I could imagine you...

Headlines:
Ibemadskillzz beats Tiger Woods, Andre Agassi, Shaq, Michael Johnson, Mike Tyson and Barry Bonds in their own sports, respectfully.

BS. It takes a while for people to develop their potential for any sport. I am not even at the height of my tennis abilities because I am mentally flawed in the game, so once I get that down, I will be on top of my game.