PDA

View Full Version : Tsonga overrated

siddharta
06-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Don't you agree with me that Tsjonga is the most overrated player on the tour?
I don't understand why Wilander is saying that he is the (only?) player who can be a threat to Federer on Wimby? Give me one argument based on facts.

Tsjonga has been injured most of the time in 2008. He played in 2009 AO and RG. Considering his play and defeats in those slams, there is a huge gap between players like, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro and Tsjonga, not even to mention Nadal and Federer. In my opinion a lot of people are biased concerning Tsjonga. Why is that?

tahiti
06-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Tsonga when he's on fire has the game to beat anyone. His injury last year meant he lost momentum but one noticed when he was back. I definitely believe Tsonga is a dark horse for Wimby but whether he can keep his top game in form for 7 straight matches, that's where he keeps falling short. He has magic hands at the net.

galactico
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
the only player with enough grasscourt pedigree to beat federer in wimbledon this year is roddick, based on grasscourt results.

tsonga's game is based too much on overpowering opponents, and you don't beat federer by just overpowering him, ask the likes of murray and nadal.

Guru
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
He's very overrated. He had a good run at the Australian open
but he hasn't done a great deal since then.

Murray, Djokovic, Roddick and even Del Potro have a better shot than Tsonga.

OrangeOne
06-22-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't understand why Wilander is saying that he is the (only?) player who can be a threat to Federer on Wimby? Give me one argument based on facts.

Why do you expect other people to back up the comments made by Wilander?

People need to understand that guys who commentate / write columns / etc - like Wilander - need to say interesting or inflammatory things to keep people listening to them, discussing them, listening for the next crazy thing they say...just as you have!

For the record: Want to know why he's special? Go watch him hit some balls in person one day. It's a sight to see....

Guru
06-22-2009, 08:09 AM
I forgot Hass, he's better than Tsonga too.

Sentinel
06-22-2009, 08:14 AM
guru. sid,
Located in india ???

I am in New Delhi.

btw, Sania meets Cirstea next round

tintin
06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
go AWAY troll
Ts9onga would crush,thump,destroy,hammer,annihilate you into oblivion

egn
06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Wait a second

So DJokovic has a QF and 3R in slams
Murray has 4R and QF
Tsonga has a QF and 4R
Del Potro has a QF and SF

So lets see Djokovic lost to Roddick and Kohl
Murray lost to Verdasco and Gonzo
Tsonga lost to Verdasco and Del Potro
and Del Potro lost to Fed twice getting double bageled in one of those matches..

What is this justification that any of these guys in slams have done far better. Djokovic having a better shot than Tsonga, look at him out there right now he just lost to Haas recently and has all ready dropped his first set, he couldn't even make it past the third round. Oh yes Del Potro the whipping boy of Federer who couldn't even take down Fed on clay playing his best game ever Del Potro still lost on what might argubly soon be his best surface, Del Potro is nothing on grass. Murray yes, could stand a chance, but to say Tsonga does not have a chance equal to Djokovic and Del Potro is absurd, if anything Tsonga has maybe a better chance. Excuse him for dropping a set today, but so has Djokovic all ready and I imagine Del Potro won't even make it to the quarters or semis.

egn
06-22-2009, 08:48 AM
He's very overrated. He had a good run at the Australian open
but he hasn't done a great deal since then.

Murray, Djokovic, Roddick and even Del Potro have a better shot than Tsonga.

He won a master series in Paris, one of the fastest tournaments and has a few more titles and has kept himself back into the top 10. He is going to stand a better chance now that the faster courts are coming where he will shine. I think Tsonga is doing quite well for himself

galactico
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
i think outta all the slams, he'll take US open

navratilovafan
06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I dont think he is overrated. He is a legitimate top 10 player with a slam final, a Masters title, and who has made the quarters and round of 16 of his two slams his year, the latter being his weakest. Some threads during the French that he had a real shot of winning it were overrating him, but that kind of excitement and spirited enthusiasm is to be expected during a slam. I would give him an outside shot of winning Wimbledon. Not a good shot but really after Federer and maybe Murray he has as good a shot as anyone else.

coyfish
I don't think tsonga has what it takes to win a major. I think he will always be a threat because of how he CAN play but I don't think that consistancy is ever going to develop. Like Blake, hes on or off. But mostly off :).

Cesc Fabregas
I like Tsonga but yes he is dead overrated on this forum.

navratilovafan
06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I like Tsonga but yes he is dead overrated on this forum.

How so? He isnt being talked about having been the potential GOAT without even winning a major like Nalbandian, or while a now washed up 2 time slam winner like Safin. He isnt talked about as maybe the most talented player on tour despite being yesterdays prodigy and not even a top 20 caliber player anymore like Gasqet. Those are the guys who are most overrated around here

galactico
06-22-2009, 09:13 AM
How so? He isnt being talked about having been the potential GOAT without even winning a major like Nalbandian, or while a now washed up 2 time slam winner like Safin. He isnt talked about as maybe the most talented player on tour despite being yesterdays prodigy and not even a top 20 caliber player anymore like Gasqet. Those are the guys who are most overrated around here

agree, those people get too much attention on TT

siddharta
06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Tsonga won, far from convincingly, Paris last year.. where every player was more or less injured and tired from the season. Tsonga did not play all year and therefore had a big advantage.

I am not against Tsonga. I think he has a very nice game to watch, a little bit unorthodox and very athletic and makes me think of Noah. However, if you watch his performances very closely I don't understand a lot of the credits he get.

jamesblakefan#1
06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Big serve, big FH, and one of few guys w/ touch at the net. I don't see how he's overrated. He crushed Nadal at the AO last yr, made the final and had a legit shot against Djokovic. I don't see how he's overrated compared to, oh, I don't know, Safin, who everyone seems to believe is God's gift to tennis.

Pseudonym
06-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I honestly thought he would be in a much better position sooner, considering how much support and love everybody has for him.

jamesblakefan#1
06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
I honestly thought he would be in a much better position sooner, considering how much support and love everybody has for him.

You've gotta remember though, most of the start of his career was affected by back and knee injuries from 2006 or so, really until he made the run at the AO. Who knows where he'd be if it weren't for those injuries early in his career.

Pseudonym
06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I agree.

He has the Monfils-syndrome; always getting injured.

tacou
06-22-2009, 12:40 PM

Tsjonga has been injured most of the time in 2008. He played in 2009 AO and RG. Considering his play and defeats in those slams, there is a huge gap between players like, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro and Tsjonga, not even to mention Nadal and Federer. In my opinion a lot of people are biased concerning Tsjonga. Why is that?

overrated? no...

I don't agree with what Mats said at all; Murray, Haas, Roddick are all dangerous opponents.

However, Tsonga is not overrated, he's barely talked about on these boards and at best it's as a dark horse. Hew was up 1 set to 0 in a slam final, so I'm not sure how anyone can say he doesn't have the game to win a slam. As for Wimbledon, I'm pretty sure this is only his second and he made the 4th round in 2007.

Big serve, big flat strokes and beautiful touch at net. those are facts, and it is also a fact that those weapons=success on grass.

so yeah. not overrated.

Cyan
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Tsonga when he's on fire has the game to beat anyone. His injury last year meant he lost momentum but one noticed when he was back. I definitely believe Tsonga is a dark horse for Wimby but whether he can keep his top game in form for 7 straight matches, that's where he keeps falling short. He has magic hands at the net.

ITA. ..............

zagor
06-22-2009, 12:57 PM
No I don't consider Tsonga to be overrated.I do think that he plays the most enertaining tennis on tour(aside from Fed)though.

UsualSuspect
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
I dont think tsonga is overrated at all. He is has so much potential. When he plays good, he is easily the best offensive player in the world. He ran out of steam against djoko in 08 AO.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Tsonga can play brilliantly but has difficulty doing so for a long enough stretch to win a GS.

sdont
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM

He is not overrated, but his game is said to be one of the most entertaining on tour, for a reason given his great net play in a generation of baseliners.

True he is not yet in the same league as the top 5, yet a has a good record against Djokovic. If you look closely at his season :
- lost to a red-hot Verdasco at the AO (who also took out Murray)
- won the title in Johannesburg
- lost to Nadal in Rotterdam
- won the title in Marseille
- won his 2 matches in Davis Cup
- lost to Djokovic in Miami
- had early losses in clay court Masters (tough surface for him) yet managed to go to QF in RG (something not even Nadal or Djokovic managed to do)
- lost in Germany to Haas (who went on to win the title).

His only really disappointing losses were in the preparation tournaments for AO and to Andreev in IW.

All in all not so overrated as players like, for instance, Gulbis -who has yet to pass the second round in a tournament this season. ;)

pmerk34
06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Tsonga won, far from convincingly, Paris last year.. where every player was more or less injured and tired from the season. Tsonga did not play all year and therefore had a big advantage.

I am not against Tsonga. I think he has a very nice game to watch, a little bit unorthodox and very athletic and makes me think of Noah. However, if you watch his performances very closely I don't understand a lot of the credits he get.

Other than the fact that he's a half african Frenchman he really doesn't remind me at all of Noah.

nfor304
06-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I dont think he is over rated at all. He is an amazing athlete and player and a definite grand slam contender on hard courts.
Hes a big match player, and that is something other talented players sometimes just dont have, like Verdasco, Del Potro, Simon etc. He has what it takes to beat the top guys and perform at his best when the pressure is on, hence his wins over Nadal and Djokovic, and his win in Paris where he needed to win the tittle to qualify for the masters cup.

pmerk34
06-22-2009, 04:11 PM
I dont think he is over rated at all. He is an amazing athlete and player and a definite grand slam contender on hard courts.
Hes a big match player, and that is something other talented players sometimes just dont have, like Verdasco, Del Potro, Simon etc. He has what it takes to beat the top guys and perform at his best when the pressure is on, hence his wins over Nadal and Djokovic, and his win in Paris where he needed to win the tittle to qualify for the masters cup.

He toyed with Nadal at the '08 Aussie.

pricey_aus
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
^^
Exactly. While he may not be able to replicate that performance against Rafa last year, if he gets to a 80% level of that, he is a threat to anyone on anyday, especially on grass. Big serve, flat groundies, solid slice and good volleys. What is not too like about his game on grass? He is my dark horse pick.

coyfish
06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree he is always a threat. Unfortunately I don't think his consistancy will improve. I think he will be one of those players juggling in and out of top 10 like Blake.

I think Verdasco will improve mentally though. Just my opinion so take it or leave it.

tacou
06-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't like the comparisons to Blake. Tsonga does everything better than Blake.

Leublu tennis
06-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I dont think he is overrated. He is a legitimate top 10 player with a slam final, a Masters title, and who has made the quarters and round of 16 of his two slams his year, the latter being his weakest. Some threads during the French that he had a real shot of winning it were overrating him, but that kind of excitement and spirited enthusiasm is to be expected during a slam. I would give him an outside shot of winning Wimbledon. Not a good shot but really after Federer and maybe Murray he has as good a shot as anyone else.He has all the qualifications to be in the top 10, but many people expect him to be near the top of the top and thats too high a reach for him.

TiradPass
06-23-2009, 06:29 PM
For the record: Want to know why he's special? Go watch him hit some balls in person one day. It's a sight to see....

Agreed. I was *almost* as pleased to get to watch Tsonga in person at RG than I was to watch Federer.

I do agree it's excessive to name Tsonga as the main/only threat to Federer at Wimbledon, but saying that there's a "huge" gap between Tsonga and DP, Murray, Djokovic... :confused:

As others have said, if Tsonga can run well for several matches then he is very very dangerous. As for his first round match on Monday: some amazing shots, but what a horrendous spell he had in the second set! Practically every groundstroke he either netted or blasted out - he was lucky his excellent serve was there to limit the damage. If he plays like that against Federer he will be cut to ribbons...

pmerk34
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I don't like the comparisons to Blake. Tsonga does everything better than Blake.

Tsonga is half black. Blake is half black. Shallow people make shallow comparisons.

pmerk34
06-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Agreed. I was *almost* as pleased to get to watch Tsonga in person at RG than I was to watch Federer.

I do agree it's excessive to name Tsonga as the main/only threat to Federer at Wimbledon, but saying that there's a "huge" gap between Tsonga and DP, Murray, Djokovic... :confused:

As others have said, if Tsonga can run well for several matches then he is very very dangerous. As for his first round match on Monday: some amazing shots, but what a horrendous spell he had in the second set! Practically every groundstroke he either netted or blasted out - he was lucky his excellent serve was there to limit the damage. If he plays like that against Federer he will be cut to ribbons...

Watching him render Nadal helpless at the Aussie in '08 was beautiful.

thalivest
06-23-2009, 07:52 PM

The field is tougher than 2006 for example though. So someone playing at a much higher level than Blake could still have similar success. Granted Tsonga has already made a slam final and won a Masters so it seems likely he will be beyond what Blake ever was achieving, even in the tougher field now.

tacou
06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
The field is tougher than 2006 for example though. So someone playing at a much higher level than Blake could still have similar success. Granted Tsonga has already made a slam final and won a Masters so it seems likely he will be beyond what Blake ever was achieving, even in the tougher field now.

that's my point. he already has achieved more than blake, other than james peaking at #4 while Tsonga I think was 6, and making TMC finals, though I think a Masters win is equal to that.

level of play is clearly in tsonga's favor. look at the australian open match this year for example. tsonga wins easily. blake is past his prime but tsonga was not play his best in that tournament at all (and still made qfs)

joeri888
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
He's overrated by some people who already see a multiple Slamwinner in him. He plays nice tennis, but isn't THAT good. He's a solid player who can beat a lot of guys on a good day, but nothing that special on any natural surface so far.

cork_screw
06-23-2009, 11:08 PM
He hasn't really been in the spotlight since he beat nadal in the aussie open a few years back. He's won some tournaments here and there, but his injuries have really taken him out of a lot of tournaments. Anyways, he's got the most pompous celebration.

ChanceEncounter
06-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Tsonga's game is tailor-made for Wimbledon, and if he's on, he'll slug you straight off the court.

I think that qualifies as a dangerous opponent and a real threat to Federer.

joeri888
06-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Tsonga's game is tailor-made for Wimbledon, and if he's on, he'll slug you straight off the court.

I think that qualifies as a dangerous opponent and a real threat to Federer.

Federer's slice works so amazingly well on grass. I can't see a big hitter like Tsonga NOT making a ton of errors of that shot. That's also why Rafa's such a terrible matchup. He can still come over the ball because of his massive spins on that forehand. I don't see Tsonga winning many rallies from the back of the court. And the thing is also that JWT is not going to play serve&volley too often. He's just not schooled that way and doesn't have the mindset to do it in modern tennis, while I think that would be his very best shot at glory at least for now. He's got a good serve and one of the best volleys on tour imo