PDA

View Full Version : Nadal should have played in Wimbledon

henryshli
06-22-2009, 09:50 AM
He doesn't say in any of the interviews that he is still injured. He just says that he doesn't think he is ready for the tournament.

Fear of losing isn't a good enough excuse for not defending a slam title.

veritech
06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
after watching all the interviews from the past and acknowledging all his opinions about the tournament, it's safe to conclude that he wouldn't miss this tournament, unless of course there is something more important to deal with, and in this case, that's his fitness. he has said that his fitness isn't 100% and he should take some time off to recuperate and rest.

is his absence from wimbledon mental? possibly, maybe a little. but what they are focusing on are his knees and tendinitis.

and come on, this is rafael nadal, one of the mentally strongest players on the tour. it sounds absurd that he would miss his said favorite tournament because of a couple losses, including one at RG. people have bounced back from much tougher losses.

The-Fed-Express
06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
As a Federer fan, I have to say that's rubbish. Nadal has obviosuly struggled with his knees for a while now and if he feels he hasn't prepared enough to mount a serious challenge at Wimbledon (whether injured or not), he has every right to pull out.

If there is still any doubt about his knees, a long, strenous grnad-slam tournament could eman the end of his career. Imo, he has made the right decision.

esm
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
He doesn't say in any of the interviews that he is still injured. He just says that he doesn't think he is ready for the tournament.

Fear of losing isn't a good enough excuse for not defending a slam title.
you have no idea what you are talking about... no?

i think it is quite clear that his knees were still bothering him last friday after the exhibition match (and the other match losing to Hewitt on thursday). no match play after FO loss would mean he is not ready to play at SW19

i think he is smart to nurse the knees and get better for his future career. the wimbledon championship will still be there in 2010.

As a Federer fan, I have to say that's rubbish. Nadal has obviosuly struggled with his knees for a while now and if he feels he hasn't prepared enough to mount a serious challenge at Wimbledon (whether injured or not), he has every right to pull out.

If there is still any doubt about his knees, a long, strenous grnad-slam tournament could eman the end of his career. Imo, he has made the right decision.
agreed. well said!:)

sureshs
06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I noticed that too - Nadal's excuse was he could not give his best. But attendance at Slams is mandatory unless there is an injury. I don't see why being 95% would be a valid excuse.

Tennis_Bum
06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I noticed that too - Nadal's excuse was he could not give his best. But attendance at Slams is mandatory unless there is an injury. I don't see why being 95% would be a valid excuse.

Fair statement.

Cyan
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
No. It would have been stupid for him to play W.

DarthFed
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
It's his favorite tournament i believe, the one he's wanted to win since he was a kid..if he missed the chance to win it again then this is serious business

FedererForehand
06-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Just because he didn't actually say he was injured doesn't mean he's not. Give me a break- they guy is a warrior and was bound to start breaking down at some point with is rediculous schedule.

If he was healthy he would have destroyed Hewitt in the exo last week.

Turning Pro
06-22-2009, 03:15 PM

95%? 95% would have won him the French.

slicefox
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
what's with this BS about "ah, 50% nadal will pwn anyone in the world"

if he is not '100%' doesn't mean he can't play. he's just shocked about the FO, with all the hype buildup crashed on his face.

he doesn't want to risk another early-round exit or he'll go into depression.

i'm kind of mad he's not playing, makes wimby 09 trash

henryshli
06-26-2009, 04:58 AM
you have no idea what you are talking about... no?

i think it is quite clear that his knees were still bothering him last friday after the exhibition match (and the other match losing to Hewitt on thursday). no match play after FO loss would mean he is not ready to play at SW19

i think he is smart to nurse the knees and get better for his future career. the wimbledon championship will still be there in 2010.

agreed. well said!:)

If his knee was bothering him that much after the Hewitt match then it would have been VERY stupid to play the exihbition match against Wawrinka...no?

The reason he played the second match was to see where his game was. If he had beat Stan 6:0 6:0 he would have played Wimbledon...no?

So his reason for not defending his title was because he doesn't think he could win not because he is still injured. He should have at least played in the first round.

Blue Drop
06-26-2009, 05:02 AM
It's really too bad he's out. But whatever the reason, I'm certain it's not mental.

Rafa is the toughest, mentally, on the entire tour.

drakulie
06-26-2009, 06:08 AM

I don't believe the whole "injury" story at all. Sure he has been playing hurt for nearly 4 years, but then after FO he says he is "injured", then proceeds to play hewitt, then wawrinka, and somehow can't manage to show his face at Wimbledon as the defending champion because of "injury"??? :roll: Then says he will be back in 3 weeks>>> conveniently after Wimbledon.

Whatever is going on with him in regards to skipping Wimbledon,,,, he has little control over it, and it sure as heck ain't no injury or mental fatigue.

TheTruth
06-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Nadal made the right decision. He's young and has plenty more Wimbledons to play.

Anyway, he's not playing so why not enjoy Wimbledon if you're a tennis fan.

tahiti
06-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Not playing Wimbledon cost him quite a few bucks and points. I don't think he took that decision lightly.

If you think Nadal didn't play coz he's afraid of losing then you don't know Nadal. Fear is not a factor with him when it comes to playing.

However fear of further damaging an injury and getting used to new matters at home are a perfect legitimate excuse not to play.

dsa202
06-26-2009, 08:41 AM
I hope they have to amputate Nadal's legs.

cknobman
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Hell come back once his system is clean.

sureshs
06-26-2009, 12:52 PM
He is having family issues and some knee pain and is upset over his loss.

But don't know if all this classifies as a good enough injury clause to skip a mandatory Slam.

It could be he is convincing himself that his knee is worse than it is due to the other two reasons (like Fed about mono and back pain when he was losing).

P_Agony
06-26-2009, 12:54 PM

I fully agree.

imjimmy
06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
I hope they have to amputate Nadal's legs.

You should be ashamed of yourself. People don't wish that even for their enemies.

theduh
06-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Clean??? I don't understand this, kindly explain.

sureshs
06-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Whatever is going on with him in regards to skipping Wimbledon,,,, he has little control over it, and it sure as heck ain't no injury or mental fatigue.

What are you guys refering to?

cknobman
06-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Clean??? I don't understand this, kindly explain.

What are you guys refering to?

He pulled out of 2 events that he was defending champion in that are under ITF rule to play 2 exhibition matches not under ITF rule to test his knees out???????

He could have played either queens or wimbledon to test his knees and just gone in knowing he wouldnt win but at least possibly picked up some points.

Kinda fishy if you ask me.

amx13
06-29-2009, 08:58 AM
He pulled out of 2 events that he was defending champion in that are under ITF rule to play 2 exhibition matches not under ITF rule to test his knees out???????

He could have played either queens or wimbledon to test his knees and just gone in knowing he wouldnt win but at least possibly picked up some points.

Kinda fishy if you ask me.

I think it makes sense. Why anybody would "test" and injury on a formal match or tournament?. If he wanted to see how his kness would hold up for a 2 week tournamet, any exhibition match would be the perfect chance for it. I guess he felt it was too much of a risk (early exit and worsening the injury) to go all out on wimby after those 2 exhibition matches.

bolo
06-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I think it makes sense. Why anybody would "test" and injury on a formal match or tournament?. If he wanted to see how his kness would hold up for a 2 week tournamet, any exhibition match would be the perfect chance for it. I guess he felt it was too much of a risk (early exit and worsening the injury) to go all out on wimby after those 2 exhibition matches.

yep pretty obvious to non-trolls. He just did too much damage in the clay court season. As he says below he arrived at an important part of the year feeling his worst.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/champion-nadal-forced-to-pull-out-as-injury-strikes-1710909.html

I thought he would play and get to the middle of the tournament, like in the 2007 u.s. open, but given the injury + the risk for further injury I guess it was just not worth it.