PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

ACE of Hearts
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Did anyone see the Djoker match?This is wimbledon?What a joke.The bounces where ridiculous and the way the grass looks already is ridiculous.Players where falling on this stuff!!!What the hell is underneath the grass?No wonder Nadal has won on this so called grass.

Blade0324
06-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Grass is slippery, that's why it sucks.

ACE of Hearts
06-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I have more respect for the U.S Open then wimbledon which is no longer the premier slam with the way they have changed everything!!

zagor
06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
I kinda agree with you,I really wish they changed grass back to the way it was pre 2002.It's ridiculous that USO(which has also been slowed down in 2003)is faster than Wimbledon these days.

ACE of Hearts
06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I think it has changed the last 3 years.The bounces werent ridiculous before that.

Cyan
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Fed won all his Wimbies on this grass post 2002... :rolleyes:

EtePras
06-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I would read your thread, but you still post like a 10 year old.

tudwell
06-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Why are you blaming Wimbledon for people moving poorly on grass? It's their job to move their feet correctly.

ACE of Hearts
Plz, the bounces werent this ridiculous.Go back and look at his matches with Roddick Phillippousis.Nadal can create topspin on this ******** grass.

If Nadal played on real grass, he wouldnt be creating heacy topspin and he would be cooked.

aphex

after he became 21--how strange! coincidence? i don't think so...

gj011
I think it has changed the last 3 years.The bounces werent ridiculous before that.

Grass has been changed between 2001 and 2002 and has been the same since.

Noveson
06-22-2009, 01:21 PM

:rolleyes: Of course it must have because Nadal won now. Wimbledon changed five years ago and hasn't since.

Noveson
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Did anyone see the Djoker match?This is wimbledon?What a joke.The bounces where ridiculous and the way the grass looks already is ridiculous.Players where falling on this stuff!!!What the hell is underneath the grass?No wonder Nadal has won on this so called grass.

Are you stupid? I take it you have never played on a grass court. Near my house we have one with legit you don't want to let the ball bounce because it wont get above your knee bounces and it is very slippery. We usually play barefoot because in shoes you fall even more.

zagor
06-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Plz, the bounces werent this ridiculous.Go back and look at his matches with Roddick Phillippousis.Nadal can create topspin on this ******** grass.

If Nadal played on real grass, he wouldnt be creating heacy topspin and he would be cooked.

It's possible that they were slowing grass even further every year since 2002 but the major slowdown happened in 2002.I remember how much Henman was complaining about it that year(he really got screwed over).They should have never done that IMO,Wimbledon just isn't unique anymore as it was in the 90s.It's still a great tourney and most prestigious slam obviously,but not as special as it was IMO.

VivalaVida
06-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Are you stupid? I take it you have never played on a grass court. Near my house we have one with legit you don't want to let the ball bounce because it wont get above your knee bounces and it is very slippery. We usually play barefoot because in shoes you fall even more.
haha barefoot? that sounds fun but cant you get injured? especially if you are a good player with developed strokes.

All-rounder
06-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I thought this grass discussion was done with anyways to the OP they haven't changed Wimbledon that much apparently it has been speed up but I'm not believing it Wimbledon slowed down from 2002 onwards then every year it became slower

The_Steak
06-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Where? Where?

gj011
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
It's possible that they were slowing grass even further every year since 2002 but the major slowdown happened in 2002.I remember how much Henman was complaining about it that year(he really got screwed over).They should have never done that IMO,Wimbledon just isn't unique anymore as it was in the 90s.It's still a great tourney and most prestigious slam obviously,but not as special as it was IMO.

How is it possible since the grass has been the same since 2002.

All-rounder
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I agree they really screwed henman's chances of finally winning I remember he was making it to the semi's on a regular basis then from 2002 onwards he was struggling it seemed as the years went by his result got worse so it may seem that they were gradually slowing the grass down lets hope that Murray doesn't get the same treatment

zagor
06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
How is it possible since the grass has been the same since 2002.

I personally didn't notice any change but I remember watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJ_FVnijAw

But as I said a major change was done in 2002.

I don't care how Fed or Nadal would have done on the 90s grass,this isn't about them(as far as I'm concerned).Fed has done most of his winning from the baseline same as Nadal anyway and has won 5 Wimbledons on slower grass so it obvious that the modern slower grass suits him same as it does Nadal.

I'm just saying that IMO they shouldn't have made the change,in my eyes Wimbledon isn't as special and unique as it was before.

stormholloway
06-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I've played on grass and I can say that whatever type of grass I played on is nothing like what these guys are playing on. Where I played there was an extremely low bounce, making it extremely difficult to hit groundstrokes at all. I found myself slicing 90% of backhands. It was definitely a surface tailor-fit for volleyers.

I won't say that the tennis was necessarily better before they slowed the grass--many great matches have been played--but what I can say is that Wimbledon has lost much of its uniqueness. Courts are being homogenized and each slam is losing is character. Roland Garros has been sped up over the years. Wimbledon slowed down. Apparently the AO is faster.

Noveson
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM
haha barefoot? that sounds fun but cant you get injured? especially if you are a good player with developed strokes.

Hah I'm sure we could hasn't happened yet. I play with two former D1 players and we have not gotten hurt. Mostly play dubs when were there though so it's mostly forward movement.

Noveson
06-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I've played on grass and I can say that whatever type of grass I played on is nothing like what these guys are playing on. Where I played there was an extremely low bounce, making it extremely difficult to hit groundstrokes at all. I found myself slicing 90% of backhands. It was definitely a surface tailor-fit for volleyers.

I won't say that the tennis was necessarily better before they slowed the grass--many great matches have been played--but what I can say is that Wimbledon has lost much of its uniqueness. Courts are being homogenized and each slam is losing is character. Roland Garros has been sped up over the years. Wimbledon slowed down. Apparently the AO is faster.

Yep that is what this one is like. I'm a young guy I get down a lot and still hit many two handers but letting the ball bounce is not a normal thing for s.

Blade0324
06-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Bottom line is grass still sucks. Put clay or HC in at Wimby and be gone with the green stuff.

The-Champ
06-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I personally didn't notice any change but I remember watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJ_FVnijAw

But as I said a major change was done in 2002.

those 2 balls didn't land on the same spot.

Jchurch
06-22-2009, 06:33 PM
those 2 balls didn't land on the same spot.

And we can't really assess from one serve alone. We don't know if one was flat or if one was loaded with some spin.

_maxi
06-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes, and he also beated Sampras in the fast grass not alowing him to win five consecutive wimbledon titles.
He proved that he can be the king in either fast or notsofast-highbouncing grass. He is not exactly the one who had so many trouble playing in fast courts.. that is the one on your avatar, so shut up.

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Grass may be easy on your joints, but it is not a viable surface to play tennis on. It's slippery; it's unpredictable; it makes you prone to injuries. I know traditionalists love it, but it has become a joke

TheNatural
06-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Yes, and he also beated Sampras in the fast grass not alowing him to win five consecutive wimbledon titles.
He proved that he can be the king in either fast or notsofast-highbouncing grass. He is not exactly the one who had so many trouble playing in fast courts.. that is the one on your avatar, so shut up.

He proved that it was a fluke to beat a past prime Sampras. His next two Wimbledon matches were 2 losses, so much for being king on the fast grass.