PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt and Federer at their best- Hewitt is the superior player

hewittboy
06-22-2009, 03:59 PM
When Federer and Hewitt are both at their best Hewitt is superior in most aspects of the game:

Forehand- Federer by alot
Backhand- Hewitt
Serve- Federer by a bit
Return of Serve- Hewitt
Movement- Hewitt
Mental Game- Hewitt
Net Game- Hewitt by a bit

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Hewitt never ever dominated like Federer. Making a list and throwing some check marks in is not an effective way of measuring superiority

hewittboy
06-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Hewitt never ever dominated like Federer. Making a list and throwing some check marks in is not an effective way of measuring superiority

Hewitt dominated Federer up until 2004. In 2004-2005 Hewitt was past his prime but still should have done better vs Federer as he is the better overall player aspect for aspect as I broke down. Fortunately for Federer, Hewitt in addition to being past his prime underperformed in their matches those couple years. From 2000-2003 Hewitt dominated Federer head to head.

Brned
06-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Us Open 04
6–0, 7–6(3), 6–0

Not his prime but still....

gj011
06-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Us Open 04
60, 76(3), 60

Not his prime but still....

That is still way better than 6-1 6-3 6-0.

LttlElvis
06-22-2009, 04:06 PM
If you had to choose to have one's game? Federer by a lot

hewittboy
06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
What aspect am I wrong on when comparing their games. Hewitt no doubt has the most solid and superior backhand to Federer's which is shaky. Hewitt is one of the best returners ever, Federer's return is defensive and at time shaky. Federer is extremely quick, but Hewitt at his best is the quickest player on tour and clearly superior mover to Federer. Federer is mentally tougher, but Hewitt at his best is superior to all except Nadal here. Federer is a shaky volleyer, Hewitt at his best is a quite solid volleyer and in fact probably better than Federer. The only thing Federer does better is the serve by a bit only, and the forehand by alot. Overall Hewitt is the superior player.

Lotto
06-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Come back to me when Djokovic wins another slam :rolleyes:

Ray Mercer
06-22-2009, 04:12 PM
What aspect am I wrong on when comparing their games. Hewitt no doubt has the most solid and superior backhand to Federer's which is shaky. Hewitt is one of the best returners ever, Federer's return is defensive and at time shaky. Federer is extremely quick, but Hewitt at his best is the quickest player on tour and clearly superior mover to Federer. Federer is mentally tougher, but Hewitt at his best is superior to all except Nadal here. Federer is a shaky volleyer, Hewitt at his best is a quite solid volleyer and in fact probably better than Federer. The only thing Federer does better is the serve by a bit only, and the forehand by alot. Overall Hewitt is the superior player.

Lol Hewitt is a journeyman. Federer just blows him off the court with his power. Hewitt's ground strokes are weak.

Brned
06-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Madrid 09

6/4 6/4

Breaker
06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=107793

FFS at least if you want to troll come up with new material.

hewittboy
06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Lol Hewitt is a journeyman. Federer just blows him off the court with his power. Hewitt's ground strokes are weak.

Hewitt's backhand is better than Federer's. Federer's forehand is better. So Federer's groundstrokes must be weak too then as they are only equal to Hewitt's. It looks back for Federer if he is only better at 30% of the aspects of tenns than a journeyman when both are in their primes and playing well

P_Agony
06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
When Federer and Hewitt are both at their best Hewitt is superior in most aspects of the game:

Backhand- Hewitt
Serve- Federer by a bit
Return of Serve- Hewitt
Movement- Hewitt
Mental Game- Hewitt

All the bolded ones are IMO a big failure.

Fed's serve is much better than Hewitt's - he gets many free points off of it, not so much for Hewitt. Federer probably has one of the best movemvents of all time, it is the core of his game actually. Hewitt's movement is good, but Fed's is better.

Return of serve and Net game is a tie for me. Fed's return has declined, but he used to be the best defensive returner on tour. Hewitt's returns used to be great as well.

You forgot about tactics and smart play, and in that category Fed wins big time.

Max G.
06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Lolll

troll troll troll troll troll

don't feed the troll.

Also, at my best, I'm better than Federer.

P_Agony
06-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Come back to me when Djokovic wins another slam :rolleyes:

Who's Djokovic? :confused:

Nadal_Freak
06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Madrid 09

6/4 6/4
Nadal's knees...

bdawg
how about we add some more check marks?

Backhand- Hewitt (disagree)
Serve- Federer by a bit (by a lot)
Return of Serve- Hewitt (tie at best)
Movement- Hewitt (marginally)
Mental Game- Hewitt (Federer has won 14 slams, enough said)
Net Game- Hewitt by a bit (Federer by a lot)
Power -- Federer
Tactics -- Federer
Drop Shot -- Federer.
Variety -- Federer
Stamina -- Federer
Longevity -- Federer
Power is a big problem for hewitt. He could never generate enough to compete with the top players. If his serve and power game were better he might've played shorter points and prolonged his career.

LttlElvis
Hey, no one is going to change the opinion of a guy who has the name hewittboy. A prime Roger dominates him in just about everything. I have to admit, Hewitt had a lot of heart, and he got the most out of his abilities. Watch him live, and it's incredible how early his racquet preparation is, like he's reading his opponent's mind.

woodrow1029
06-22-2009, 04:21 PM
What does that match have to do with this thread?

Lotto
06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Who's Djokovic? :confused:

I think he's that guy who somehow won an Australian Open last year. He had to take down a fed with mono though and an inform Tsonga in his first grand slam final...Since then though, anytime theyve met in a slam Fed has dominated him but his fans have made excuses that he wasnt at his best but sure feds "past it" and is not at his best and just won the French Open so yano.

Breaker
06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Lol Hewitt is a journeyman.

Not even close, try again.

Lotto
06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
And to get back on topic, is it acutally possible, to even compare 14 grand slam titles to 2? 14 to 2? :confused: And how long was Hewitt No.1 for?...Federer? I just cant comprehend how its even possible to even think Hewitt at his best is or was better then Federer at is. It is infact incomprehensible.

woodrow1029
Gj011 -

Nadal_Freak -
Nadal's knees...

The Dynamic Duo has shown up!

thalivest
Federer vs Hewitt if both were at their career bests:

Forehand- Federer
Backhand- Federer
Serve- Federer
Return vs baseliner- Federer
Movement in baseline rallies- Federer
Volleys- Federer
Overhead- Federer
Mental Toughness- Federer
Strategy- Federer

Passing Shots- Hewitt or tied
Return of Serve vs net rusher- Hewitt
Movement vs volleyer- Hewitt or tied
Lobs- Hewitt

Basically Hewitt even at his best does absolutely nothing better than Federer in a match vs a fellow baseliner which Federer is hence why he is owned by Federer even when both were in their primes together. All the things Hewitt does do better are related to playing a net attacker or a serve/volleyer and unfortunately for Hewitt those players dont play anymore. He is one of the few players who would benefit from 90s court conditions and more 90s style players.

FlamEnemY
06-22-2009, 04:30 PM
What thalivest said.
About Hewitt's style, there was a discussion on this forum and someone posted his results versus good S&V players. He totally owned them, something like 20-4 in his favor.

Guru
06-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Hewitt sucks. Australians overrated there athletes even more than the British.

Hewitt was never that good and should not be compared to Federer, Nadal, Sampras
or anyother elite player for that matter.

Andres

Backhand- Hewitt
Serve- Federer by a bit
Return of Serve- Hewitt
Movement- Hewitt
Mental Game- Hewitt
Unfortunately, the serve and the forehand are the biggest weapons in tennis.

Thread fail.

zagor

There are 2 reasons why that comparison isn't valid:

-2008 FO final was played on Nadal's best surface-Fed's worst(clay) while 2004 USO final was played on both Hewitt's and Fed's best surface(fast HC).

-in 2008 FO on route to the final Fed lost sets to Gonzo,Montanes and Monfils(who pushed him really hard in FO semi)while Hewitt didn't lose a single set on his route to the final in 2004 USO,he even straightsetted a red hot Pim-Pim who defeated a defending champion Andy Roddick.

T1000
06-22-2009, 04:33 PM
All the bolded ones are IMO a big failure.

Fed's serve is much better than Hewitt's - he gets many free points off of it, not so much for Hewitt. Federer probably has one of the best movemvents of all time, it is the core of his game actually. Hewitt's movement is good, but Fed's is better.

Return of serve and Net game is a tie for me. Fed's return has declined, but he used to be the best defensive returner on tour. Hewitt's returns used to be great as well.

You forgot about tactics and smart play, and in that category Fed wins big time.

I agree with the serve

Return is Hewitt no matter what. He is one of the best returners of all time, Fed is not

Net game is Federer in their primes. Federer has great volleys. Hewitt is solid at the net but Fed has some great hands

Movement - They both move differently. Fed is fluid and effortless. He looks like he is gliding on the court. Hewitt on the other hand is extremley quick and fast. He can run down balls better than anyone, except maybe Nadal. Hewitt runs down balls Federer can never get to while Federer can just move around that backhand and fire a forehand for a winner or to set him up on offense

They are both mentally tough so tie.

Forehand - Fed by a lot

Backhand - Hewitt is just solid here, one great backhand. Federer has a lot of variety, something hewitt doesn't have

passing shots - Hewitt wins here. Federer has great passing shots, but Hewitt loves that target at the net.

tactics and smartness - federer

zagor
06-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Nadal's knees...

Fed's mono,back,age...

thalivest
06-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Hewitt is not as mentally tough as Federer, not even close. If he were he wouldnt give up in some matches vs Federer like he has, and start giving increasingly meek efforts once he lost a few competitive matches with Federer the first half of 2004. Hewitt is very mentally tough still but in mental toughness it goes:

Nadal > Federer >> Hewitt > everyone else of this decade

Breaker
06-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Hewitt was never that good and should not be compared to Federer, Nadal, Sampras

If Safin can be compared to these guys, Hewitt has every right and more to be.

NamRanger
06-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Hewitt is not as mentally tough as Federer, not even close. If he were he wouldnt give up in some matches vs Federer like he has, and start giving increasingly meek efforts once he lost a few competitive matches with Federer the first half of 2004. Hewitt is very mentally tough still but in mental toughness it goes:

Nadal > Federer >> Hewitt > everyone else of this decade

I don't know, I'd put Roddick right there with Hewitt. Despite going through rough times in 2006, getting pummeled by Federer in 07 multiple times, and having a disappointing 2008 season (for his standards) he has come roaring back each time.

Badger
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Come on OP. Get real.

Plus, I lost any respect I had for Hewitt after he showed how racist he was in the Blake match in 2001.

T1000
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM

I wish I could suck and have a winning record against sampras and have 2 slams, year end number 1s, multiple master shields and year end champions, davis cups, etc. yea he's awful :roll:

T1000
06-22-2009, 04:42 PM

journymen don't win two slams (read my above post to read the rest of the accomplishments

Breaker
06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know, I'd put Roddick right there with Hewitt. Despite going through rough times in 2006, getting pummeled by Federer in 07 multiple times, and having a disappointing 2008 season (for his standards) he has come roaring back each time.

Roddick gave in mentally several times to Hewitt and Federer similarly to how Hewitt did in the final set of the '04 US Open.

Lost 20 points in a row to end the match against Hewitt at Masters Cup semifinal '04.

Essentially tanked 4th set against Hewitt at '05 Aussie after losing two tiebreaks.

Being consistently in the top 10 doesn't give him more (equal) mental toughness than Hewitt, if that were the case Davydenko would be in the conversation as well and that definitely is not true.

FlamEnemY
06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Come on, Hewitt was a great player. Unfortunately for him his style isn't / wasn't good enough to counter the power baseline game that dominates the tour, he is however the pure anti S&V player. You can't achieve what he has achieved if you 'suck' , Guru.

It's just that Federer is... well, Federer. He's a different animal.

zagor
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM

Get a clue both of you,you don't know what are you talking about.

tudwell
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
OP, you forgot a category:

Winning: Federer by a thousand million billion

thalivest
06-22-2009, 04:53 PM

I guess you could make that argument. I actually have said Roddick's fighting spirit is underrated and is one of his best assets, along with his great serve, sometimes lethal forehand, and consistency from the baseline (even during those times his forehand is loopy and he has no real weapons from there anymore). Then again I look at a match like the 2005 Australian Open where Roddick blew so many chances and went away in the final set, but that is just one match so not totally fair to compare them only on that. To be so consistent for so many years reqires alot of mental toughness, and even through all his defeats vs Federer he seems to keep fighting hard whenever they play.

thalivest
06-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Being consistently in the top 10 doesn't give him more (equal) mental toughness than Hewitt, if that were the case Davydenko would be in the conversation as well and that definitely is not true.

Davydenko has choked more blatantly in big matches than Roddick has though. Roddick the 2005 AO semi with Hewitt you mention was the closest to choking. Really any other big match he has lost was not due to his mental game. Sometimes it was due to not playing the way he should, or not playing that well, but that is different. Davydenko has had some glaring chokes, the 06 French Open semis, 07 French Open semis where he served for all 3 sets vs Federer I think, 07 AO quarters vs Haas, alot of other matches over the years. He is known for getting very tight and lacking self belief to beat a top player when he has them on the ropes. I dont think Roddck is known for that.

Guru
06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
If Safin can be compared to these guys, Hewitt has every right and more to be.

Safin should not be compared to those guys
he's another overrated player. Safin is though better than than Hewitt.

I wish I could suck and have a winning record against sampras and have 2 slams, year end number 1s, multiple master shields and year end champions, davis cups, etc. yea he's awful :roll:

Of course he's not an awful player
but compared to Federer he's nothing special.

Anyone who compares Safin or Hewitt to Federer is an idiot
and i'm not even a Federer fan. Roger's won more Grand Slam's in a year
than Hewitt has won in his whole career. FACT.

AllDownTheLine
06-22-2009, 05:00 PM
My dog is 13 years old and sleeps all day and cr:(ps where he eats
but when he was 3 he was way better than Federer:

Forehand - Federer by alot
Speed- My dog by alot
Footwork- My dog
Backhand - Fedrerer
Serve- Federer
Retrieve of Serve - My dog
Volley - Federer
Ability to clean own balls- My dog

As you can see Federer is alot better in some areas but my dog can do things Federer can only dream about. This plus his superior speed makes
my dog the much better player. I know he has no slam titles but he was sidelined most of the grasscourt season due to worms.

Claudius
06-22-2009, 05:04 PM
hewittboy, so you're saying prime Hewitt would beat prime Federer.

So if they played in their primes and you had to make a prediction as to who would win and your life depended on it, would you still choose Hewitt?

Stop trolling, you know that if you were ever in a situation like that you'd choose Federer to save your neck.

NamRanger
06-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Davydenko has choked more blatantly in big matches than Roddick has though. Roddick the 2005 AO semi with Hewitt you mention was the closest to choking. Really any other big match he has lost was not due to his mental game. Sometimes it was due to not playing the way he should, or not playing that well, but that is different. Davydenko has had some glaring chokes, the 06 French Open semis, 07 French Open semis where he served for all 3 sets vs Federer I think, 07 AO quarters vs Haas, alot of other matches over the years. He is known for getting very tight and lacking self belief to beat a top player when he has them on the ropes. I dont think Roddck is known for that.

Heck, Davydenko choked at the AO, where he had a big opportunity to go up 2 sets to 0. He was outgunning Federer from the baseline, and really was giving him all sorts of trouble.

Breaker
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM

True Davydenko's choking should put him behind Roddick you are right there, I'd still put a Roddick behind a prime Hewitt in terms of mental toughness if only for the fact that when in their primes together Hewitt had the edge and clearly broke down Roddick mentally on the two occasions I showed (Masters Cup and Aussie Open). Roddick could be a close number 4 due to longevity yeah but in my opinion the other factors that go into mental toughness Hewitt is above him.

Roddick is, however, underrated in many other ways on this board.

thalivest
06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Heck, Davydenko choked at the AO, where he had a big opportunity to go up 2 sets to 0. He was outgunning Federer from the baseline, and really was giving him all sorts of trouble.

I dont remember the details of that match as well as you probably do now, but yeah I remember that was another match that showed his lack of self belief and inability to close out chances vs top players. There is a reason he isnt touted for his mental strength despite his years in the top 10 (still not nearly as long as Roddick who has been there since 2002 remember).

emerckx53
06-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Backhand- Hewitt
Serve- Federer by a bit
Return of Serve- Hewitt
Movement- Hewitt
Mental Game- Hewitt

What you have just said has made everybody on this forum dumber....

NamRanger
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I dont remember the details of that match as well as you probably do now, but yeah I remember that was another match that showed his lack of self belief and inability to close out chances vs top players. There is a reason he isnt touted for his mental strength despite his years in the top 10 (still not nearly as long as Roddick who has been there since 2002 remember).

Davydenko had won the 2nd set, and was up a break in the 3rd, and had chances to go up two breaks in the 3rd. He had a couple of chances to win the 4th set also. He was outplaying Federer from the baseline badly that day. Federer escaped 6-4, 3-6, 7-6, 7-6. Actually, I think Davydenko might have had a chance to serve for the 3rd, but I'm not sure about that. I do know though that Federer was in some serious trouble.

zagor
06-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah Kolja is a choker in big matches,I love the guy's game,his great footwork and such clean ballstriking but he just isn't mentally strong enough.With his game he should have won a slam by now IMO.

pricey_aus
06-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Hewitt boy, are u from Aus?
If you are I understand that you like him but I mean cmon mate, you cant really compare the two. Hewitt's game was effective from about 2000-2004 but now the game has surpassed him. When he tried to put on alot of bulk a couple of years back he lost 5% of his speed but that was enough to slow him down.

Federer is the greater player.

RoddickAce
06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
In their respective times Fed's backhand vs. Hewitt's backhand IMO looks like this:

Pace - Fed
Angles - Fed
Variety/Spins - Fed
Consistency - Hewitt

jamesblakefan#1
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Speed- My dog by alot
Footwork- My dog
Backhand - Fedrerer
Serve- Federer
Volley - Federer

As you can see Federer is alot better in some areas but my dog can do things Federer can only dream about. This plus his superior speed makes
my dog the much better player. I know he has no slam titles but he was sidelined most of the grasscourt season due to worms.

GPOAT? I think so.

slicekick95
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=gj011;3589538]That is still way better than 6-1 6-3 6-0.[/QUOTE

What exactly did that have to do with the thread? This is why you are considered a troll, not because the forum is filled with hypocrital green Federer trolls fresh out of the factory. Im not even a Fed fan, compared to Djokovic atleast.

The_Steak
06-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Backhand- Hewitt
Serve- Federer by a bit
Return of Serve- Hewitt
Movement- Hewitt
Mental Game- Hewitt

You can't make excuses for a player.

slicekick95
06-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Lolll

troll troll troll troll troll

don't feed the troll.

Also, at my best, I'm better than Federer.

The OP however is not a troll. He is a poster with an opinion backed up with something. These things are often confused just because the opinion is often F'd up.

helloworld
06-22-2009, 08:13 PM
A personal boy toy(Hewitt) can never be better than his master(Federer). ;)

drakulie
06-22-2009, 08:13 PM
OK, erhmmm, uhmmmm, well, ahemmm, uhmmm, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NickC
06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Ok, here's what we've established so far:

~The OP is a troll.
~This thread sucks.

What more is needed? This thread still sucks.

jukka1970
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Backhand- Hewitt
Serve- Federer by a bit
Return of Serve- Hewitt
Movement- Hewitt
Mental Game- Hewitt

LMAO @ Hewitt being the superior. And how many drinks have you had tonight?

This is almost as dumb as the comparison between Graf and Jankovic at their primes, where 8 people actually picked Jankovic, ROTFLMAO. My comment was that Graf would mop the floor with her.

So again I'll use the same phrase here. Federer would mop the floor with Hewitt.

Rob_C
06-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Hewitt's volley's arent even close to Federer's. Federer used to be a serve and volleyer, Hewitt's always been a baseliner. Have you ever seen Hewitt stick a volley?? Anyone can dink a volley over the net when the opponent is way behind the baseline, thats not an accurate measure of volleying ability.

IvanAndreevich
06-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Hewitt's volley's arent even close to Federer's. Federer used to be a serve and volleyer, Hewitt's always been a baseliner. Have you ever seen Hewitt stick a volley?? Anyone can dink a volley over the net when the opponent is way behind the baseline, thats not an accurate measure of volleying ability.

I think Hewitt's volleys are pretty damn solid, but yeah Fed's hands are on another level. Not only talking about technique but how he uses them and choosing the right time come in. Hewitt doesn't have that mindset.

LOL @ OP

Swissv2
06-22-2009, 08:54 PM
How funny a thread is this?!

So lets bring this back to reality.

1/2 of Federer's career > entire Hewitt's career.

</thread>

TennisFan481
06-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Speed- My dog by alot
Footwork- My dog
Backhand - Fedrerer
Serve- Federer
Volley - Federer

LMAO. This is epic...deserves some recognition.

As for the original post...might wanna go back and watch the 2004 Wimbledon QF where Federer was pummeling Hewitt with his backhand.

boojay
06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure you're old enough to be smokin' crack yet, OP.

Toxicmilk
06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Didn't we have this EXACT same thread just....a couple months ago? LOL....

kimbahpnam
06-22-2009, 09:20 PM
don't forget..

the most "come ons" - Hewitt.

Kostas
06-22-2009, 09:28 PM
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr252/kirkofistan/demots/awsome.jpg

egn
06-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Lets fight troll with troll

At least they finish their matches

oh and I'd rather lose 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 to Rafael Nadal on clay than 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 to Kohl on clay

thalivest
06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Lets fight troll with troll

At least they finish their matches

oh and I'd rather lose 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 to Rafael Nadal on clay than 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 to Kohl on clay

Great stuff. :lol: Awww but remember gj011 has now transformed Kohlschreiber into this amazing clay court specialist (since he spanked Djoko in RG) who sucks completely on grass (since he is in Fed's draw which has to be made easy each time)

NamRanger
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Great stuff. :lol: Awww but remember gj011 has now transformed Kohlschreiber into this amazing clay court specialist (since he spanked Djoko in RG) who sucks completely on grass (since he is in Fed's draw which has to be made easy each time)

You mean the same Kohlschrieber who's done nothing notable on clay except beating Djokovic.

Brned
06-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure you're old enough to be smokin' crack yet, OP.

I'm pretty sure u can't smoke crack despite your age

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-23-2009, 12:02 AM
This thread is still going on? Good lord. Only at TW.

fattsoo
06-23-2009, 12:33 AM

TOTALLY AGREED!!!

OP might want to put...who's shorter??? HEWITT---CHECK (Hewitt is winning!!!) LOL

capriatifanatic
07-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Stupid thread by an obviously deluded fanboy. Hewitt and Federer both in their primes Hewitt does NOTHING better than Federer.

Serve- Federer by ALOT. Federer has one of the best serves in tennis of this decade, Hewitt isnt even close to having one of the best serves in tennis this decade.

Forehand- Federer by CHASM. Federer probably has the best forehand ever. Hewitt's is just solid.

Backhand- Federer's has more variety and power, Hewitt's is more consistent, but Federer.

Volleys- Federer clearly.

Movement- Federer by a bit. Both are excellent though.

Mental game- Federer is clearly the mentally tougher of the two, even though this is a major Hewitt strength.

Return of serve- ok the only area you could even debate between them if both were in their primes.

Intangibles- Federer of course

Watch their matches in 2004 and 2005 when both were near their best and see who was the better player, the player who did almost everything better.

Turning Pro
07-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Hewitt mentality and never say die attitude, 5 set record, sheer speed and return of serve is better than Fed at their primes, however Fed is ahead in nearly every other category barring maybe backhand.

hansolo
07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
haha, i didn't know there are hewittards out there.

lambielspins
07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Hewitt mentality and never say die attitude, 5 set record, sheer speed and return of serve is better than Fed at their primes, however Fed is ahead in nearly every other category barring maybe backhand.

ROTFL, if Hewitt were better in that many categories (atleast half you basically are saying) he would have 15 slams too. Hewitt was never mentally tougher than Federer, the way he catapults completely in some of their matches, and allowed himself some terrible losses in slam sto much lesser players during his late 2001-early 2003 reign which Federer never did during his reign already is proof to that. Hewitt was never faster or a better overall mover than Federer, at best he might be equal. The backhand? Hewitt's groundstrokes off both sides are just solid and good, nothing special which is why prime Federer owns him from the baseline. Federer's backhand isnt up to the level of his forehand and is inconsistent but he can do way more with it than Hewitt and is still better.

I agree with capriatifantic, prime Hewitt probably does nothing better than prime Federer or almost nothing.

flying24
07-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Hewitt at his best does nothing better than Federer, maybe a couple things almost as well at most. His serve and forehand arent even half as good as Federer's even in his prime. This is a joke thread.

FlamEnemY
07-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Hewitt has a better return. Quite comfortably.
Roger has a backhand with more diversity while Hewitt's backhand is more consistent.
Everything else is Federer's, even movement. Hewitt is faster, but Federer's footwork is better.

Ah, yes. Hewitt has better lob. Not sure about passing shots.

lambielspins
07-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Hewitt has a better return. Quite comfortably.
Roger has a backhand with more diversity while Hewitt's backhand is more consistent.
Everything else is Federer's, even movement. Hewitt is faster, but Federer's footwork is better.

Ah, yes. Hewitt has better lob. Not sure about passing shots.

I dont think Hewitt is a better returner at all. Which of the big servers does Hewitt return better vs. Certainly not Roddick or Karlovic, not even back in 2003-2005 in fact.

Cenc
07-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I dont think Hewitt is a better returner at all. Which of the big servers does Hewitt return better vs. Certainly not Roddick or Karlovic, not even back in 2003-2005 in fact.

how about 2000-2002 hewitt?

well what many people dont understand is that hewitt at his best had one of the strongest games ever, extremely tough to defeat
but still i wouldnt call it better than feds lol, definitely not, fed is definitely better

flying24
07-05-2009, 02:58 PM
how about 2000-2002 hewitt?

well what many people dont understand is that hewitt at his best had one of the strongest games ever, extremely tough to defeat
but still i wouldnt call it better than feds lol, definitely not, fed is definitely better

Hewitt in 2004-2005 was as good or better than 2001-2002.

tintin
07-05-2009, 03:04 PM
ALL 4 slam FINAL:Federer
ALL 4 slam WIN:Federer

serve:Federer

forehand:Federer

backhand:Hewitt

speed:Federer

footwork:Federer

approach shots;net play;drop shots:Federer

return of serve:Federer

ALL surface player:Federer

slam wins:15 slams for Federer to 2 for Hewitt:roll:
now go crawl back in your hole and stay THERE troll:roll: :lol:

darthpwner
07-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Backhand- Hewitt
Serve- Federer by a bit
Return of Serve- Hewitt
Movement- Hewitt
Mental Game- Hewitt

fed serves way better than hewitt, and hewitt volleys better than fed by more than a bit

joeri888
07-05-2009, 04:11 PM
The fact that Federer serves much better and has a much better forehand in his prime just makes about every other shot irrelevant. Those two shots would dominate prime Hewitt for sure. Prime Federer rarely missed a forehand.

NadalandFedererfan
07-05-2009, 06:41 PM
fed serves way better than hewitt, and hewitt volleys better than fed by more than a bit

ROTFL Hewitt doesnt volley better than Federer at all, in fact the opposite is true. Federer is a much better volleyer than Hewitt ever was.