PDA

View Full Version : Indiana University- anyone been to the campus?

pricey_aus
06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Has anyone gone to school there or been there visiting? What do you think of it?

Anyone feedback would be appreciated.

SVP
06-22-2009, 05:20 PM
I have friends in California who've sent their kids there. They say IU has a wonderful collegiate atmosphere and a respectable academic reputation. It's located in a campus-oriented town.

NickC
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a few friends that go there. They party quite hard out at IU, or so I've heard. But in all seriousness, it's supposedly a very good school and I know the team is quite good.

hoosierbr
06-22-2009, 05:47 PM
IU alumnus here, class of 2002. It's true IU students invented the two-party system - Friday night and Saturday night.

Sports are huge at IU and the support system is first class. Apart from basketball and soccer IU tends to fall in the second tier of the Big 10 in the other sports b/c most of the best homegrown talent is plucked up by other conference schools like Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin. Or if they wish to stay in Indiana Notre Dame might recruit them. As a result there's lot of opportunities to walk on or at least develop a game.

Apart from that IU is a bit of a sleeper in that it's one of the consistently highest ranked public universities in the country but tends to fly under the radar. There are lots of reasons for this but what's important to keep in mind is that: students are never ignored, professors and administrators are very accessible and eager to help and know you, the campus is huge and beautiful and there's always lots to do. Bloomington is small but a wonderful college town. Very cultured as well. Lots of bars, restaurants and outdoor pursuits. Indianapolis is a 40 minute drive, Chicago about three hours or so.

In short, in my humble opinion, IU is the best college in the country and I wouldn't send my kids (when I have them) anywhere else.

Best of luck!

lhstennis12
06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
IU fan for all of my life, been to campus more than a few times. It's beautiful. Lots of trees and landscaping, plus lots of limestone. Great place!

BullDogTennis
06-22-2009, 07:33 PM
IU alumnus here, class of 2002. It's true IU students invented the two-party system - Friday night and Saturday night.

Sports are huge at IU and the support system is first class. Apart from basketball and soccer IU tends to fall in the second tier of the Big 10 in the other sports b/c most of the best homegrown talent is plucked up by other conference schools like Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin. Or if they wish to stay in Indiana Notre Dame might recruit them. As a result there's lot of opportunities to walk on or at least develop a game.

Apart from that IU is a bit of a sleeper in that it's one of the consistently highest ranked public universities in the country but tends to fly under the radar. There are lots of reasons for this but what's important to keep in mind is that: students are never ignored, professors and administrators are very accessible and eager to help and know you, the campus is huge and beautiful and there's always lots to do. Bloomington is small but a wonderful college town. Very cultured as well. Lots of bars, restaurants and outdoor pursuits. Indianapolis is a 40 minute drive, Chicago about three hours or so.

In short, in my humble opinion, IU is the best college in the country and I wouldn't send my kids (when I have them) anywhere else.

Best of luck!

they've been pretty second tier in basketball too here lately!

hoosierbr
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
they've been pretty second tier in basketball too here lately!

Well now that's true! One year removed from being a Final Four caliber team and the whole thing falls apart. Thank you Kelvin Sampson. Nice to see he went on to coach in the NBA while he left IU in tatters.

mutantducky
06-22-2009, 10:59 PM
seriously get an update on the unis and warmups. ugh. F tradition. and Bobby Knight was a jackass. that being said IU does seem like a top university.

stanfordtennis alum
06-23-2009, 07:25 AM
been there a while ago when playing for stanford... nice campus, great school

Fearsome Forehand
06-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Bloomington is very much a college town. IU is a very good Big Ten school.

Not sure how much the out of state tuition is, but if you reside in Indiana it is probably a great deal. If you're from out of state, I can think of much better places to go to school forthe same money than Bloomington. Corn is very plentiful there though.

It really depends on what you want and what your alternatives are.

indyfob2008
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
I graduated from Indiana University in 2003. (Did not play tennis there, but attended a few matches as a spectator)

It is a very big school, which means it is easy for a student to feel lost, but the university also has many great resources and people, so if one makes a great effort to take advantage of all the opportunities (academic & social/extracurricular), then the sky is the limit. Many academic programs are recognized as top 20 or top 50 in the country
True, sports are a big deal in the ******* and at all Big 10 schools. Some schools are more basketball-obsessed, while others are more football-obsessed, and some go back and forth depending on which program is winning. IU has never been great at football, so the home games are used mainly as community and social gatherings and heavy tailgating/drinking.

As for IU's tennis, it has a much smaller following obviously than its basketball or soccer teams, which have a national reputation. But the tennis facilities and campus are very nice. There aren't too many campuses that are as naturally beautiful as IU-Bloomington. (go to West Lafayette, IN and check out Purdue's campus. ugly).

Reasons why people may pass up on IU - 1) Tuition costs, if you are an out-of-state. 2) Demographics - If a very diverse student body is high on your priority list, then IU is not the place to go. It is similar to the demographics of the state of Indiana, which is about 90% white. 3) Rural, isolated college town. IU is not the place if you're looking for an urban campus atmostphere. outside of campus, the city of Bloomington is quiet and small, and can be a little depressing if you drive further out.

pricey_aus
06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I graduated from Indiana University in 2003. (Did not play tennis there, but attended a few matches as a spectator)

It is a very big school, which means it is easy for a student to feel lost, but the university also has many great resources and people, so if one makes a great effort to take advantage of all the opportunities (academic & social/extracurricular), then the sky is the limit. Many academic programs are recognized as top 20 or top 50 in the country
True, sports are a big deal in the ******* and at all Big 10 schools. Some schools are more basketball-obsessed, while others are more football-obsessed, and some go back and forth depending on which program is winning. IU has never been great at football, so the home games are used mainly as community and social gatherings and heavy tailgating/drinking.

As for IU's tennis, it has a much smaller following obviously than its basketball or soccer teams, which have a national reputation. But the tennis facilities and campus are very nice. There aren't too many campuses that are as naturally beautiful as IU-Bloomington. (go to West Lafayette, IN and check out Purdue's campus. ugly).

Reasons why people may pass up on IU - 1) Tuition costs, if you are an out-of-state. 2) Demographics - If a very diverse student body is high on your priority list, then IU is not the place to go. It is similar to the demographics of the state of Indiana, which is about 90% white. 3) Rural, isolated college town. IU is not the place if you're looking for an urban campus atmostphere. outside of campus, the city of Bloomington is quiet and small, and can be a little depressing if you drive further out.

Isn't like Indianapolis an hour away though? And yeah I come from a big Australian city, and I am not too sure about how I will handle being in a small rural American college town. I am not 100% sure I am going to Indiana however, but I am just doing a bit of research.

Does the tennis team get a good following on match days?

jaggy
06-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Tennis isnt that popular but they get a few loyal fans who give a small home court advantage. The university president is Australian. Although the student body is mostly white it is diverse in that it is amlost 50% out of staters, mostly from chicago and for some bizarre reason New York jews.

AndrewD
06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Isn't like Indianapolis an hour away though? And yeah I come from a big Australian city, and I am not too sure about how I will handle being in a small rural American college town. I am not 100% sure I am going to Indiana however, but I am just doing a bit of research.

Does the tennis team get a good following on match days?

Mate, just remember that a smaller city in the United States is going to be nothing like a smaller city in Australia. Bloomington is somewhere between the size of Bendigo and Geelong but it makes those places look like Doncaster or Frankston. It's more like Brisbane without the sun and sand but with more culture and a higher IQ.

pricey_aus
07-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Mate, just remember that a smaller city in the United States is going to be nothing like a smaller city in Australia. Bloomington is somewhere between the size of Bendigo and Geelong but it makes those places look like Doncaster or Frankston. It's more like Brisbane without the sun and sand but with more culture and a higher IQ.

hahaha, i like the Brisbane call, nice. Yeah, I used to live on the Gold Coast, but moved to Melbourne. Thats interesting advice, how do you know the Melbourne cities so well? God Bendigo is boring too, travelled there for tennis a few times. Thanks heaps for the advice though!

indyfob2008
07-01-2009, 06:14 AM
At Indiana U., basketball, football, and soccer bring out lots of students to the home games. but the other sports like tennis, it is mostly family and friends of the players, or major tennis enthusiasts.
As for diversity, true, many students are non-Indiana residents, but that hasn't affected ethnic diversity. 90+% of students are caucasian. There is a small group of international students that form their own little mini-communities.. students from India, China, Korea, South America, etc.