PDA

View Full Version : federer 0-5 recently against murray?

crash1929
06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
i know you guys follow this stuff closely. is this correct? i thought i heard this. can anyone give a recap? i don't follow too closely. i thought nadal was the only one who had feds number.

mandy01
06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
He's 0-4...what exactly do you wish to discuss?

crash1929
06-23-2009, 12:17 AM
how did that happen? what tournaments? scores? what happened? i mean against nadal we all know he slams it to fed's bh all day and breaks him down. how about murray how'd he do it?

Blinkism
06-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I think, basically, since the US Open last August, Fed hasn't been able to beat Murray in all of their meetings.

But that's all been best of three sets, as far as I know.

crash1929
06-23-2009, 12:21 AM
the last time i saw murray play fed he got spanked at wimbledon. he must have come a long way.

richied
06-23-2009, 12:23 AM
The key thing to remember is Fed is 0-5 when playing in so important tornies..Fed is a different fish in slams! 1-0 Us open final

veroniquem
06-23-2009, 12:25 AM
I think, basically, since the US Open last August, Fed hasn't been able to beat Murray in all of their meetings.

But that's all been best of three sets, as far as I know.
Not like he was able to beat Murray before the USO either...

mandy01
06-23-2009, 12:27 AM
how did that happen? what tournaments? scores? what happened? i mean against nadal we all know he slams it to fed's bh all day and breaks him down. how about murray how'd he do it? He did pretty much the same thing but Murray more than that surprises you by his quick adjustment in tactics.He's one of the most intelligent players out there.He is a backboarder and I wish he used his variety more but backboarding works against players like Roger, especially.Added to that is his improved fitness .

veroniquem
06-23-2009, 12:29 AM
the last time i saw murray play fed he got spanked at wimbledon. he must have come a long way.
You're wrong, it's Nadal who spanked Murray in Wimbledon, not Fed. Actually, other than USO, Fed hasn't been able to beat Murray since 2005.

crash1929
06-23-2009, 12:41 AM
You're wrong, it's Nadal who spanked Murray in Wimbledon, not Fed. Actually, other than USO, Fed hasn't been able to beat Murray since 2005.

i could have sworn fed played murray at wimbledon and that it wasn't close.

crash1929
06-23-2009, 12:42 AM
i saw murray up close like on the same court with brad gilbert two years ago. that guy is tall and closes the net like flash.

crash1929
06-23-2009, 12:43 AM
actually then i'm glad to hear this makes for more drama!

jaykay
06-23-2009, 12:51 AM
crash1929: It is fairly easy to update your knowledge database on this.

go to http://www.atpworldtour.com/ , scroll down three-quarters to the bottom and you'll see a box which says 'HEAD TO HEAD'. Enter Roger's name in 1 box and Murray's name in the other, click 'submit' and voila, you'll have all the stats on which tourney they played, who won, when, surface, score etc.

Rhino
06-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Federer is at his most deadly over 5 sets and in finals.

He has played Murray twice in finals and won them both. Should they meet in the Wimbledon final, Federer should prevail over 5 sets.

OddJack
06-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Murray got spanked buy Lu, who got spanked by Roger yesterday.

Clydey2times
06-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Federer is at his most deadly over 5 sets and in finals.

He has played Murray twice in finals and won them both. Should they meet in the Wimbledon final, Federer should prevail over 5 sets.

Yes, he's played him in two finals. People keep saying that, yet fail to mention that one of those finals was in 2005, about 4 months after Murray turned pro. It's not as though they played 2 recent finals and Federer beat him in both.

roysid
06-23-2009, 01:18 AM
i know you guys follow this stuff closely. is this correct? i thought i heard this. can anyone give a recap? i don't follow too closely. i thought nadal was the only one who had feds number.
It's 0-5 if you take the exhibition in Abhu Dhabi. But since it's an exho u don;t count it. So Fed is 0-4 against Murray recently. Those 4 are.
Madrid, SF ' 2008
Sanghai' 2008
Doha'2009
Indian Wells' 2009

(In all of them Fed won 1st set, Murray came back in 2nd set and Fed wilted in 3rd set).

Before this 4 matches, it was 2-2.

OddJack
06-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Murray got beaten by a 29 year old Gonzalez in most physical surface and the guy has been bulking up and only 22.
5 set matches are about mental strength and stamina. He has not proven strong in any of the two.

helloworld
06-23-2009, 01:19 AM

Last year Nadal spanked Murray in straight sets, not Federer.

mandy01
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Murray got beaten by a 29 year old Gonzalez in most physical surface and the guy has been bulking up and only 22.
5 set matches are about mental strength and stamina. He has not proven strong in any of the two. Now,lets give him a break here..Clay isnt his best surface and he did so much better than last year.He's young so he has a lot of time to improve.

kOaMaster
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM

it's already been said - it was nadal, not federer. but it was also about one year ago, when fed played murray at the us open and it wasn't close at all...

TheNatural
06-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Federer actually lost 5 in a row to Nadal, 5 to Murray in a row, and 2 in a row to Joker. It took Nadal with a knee injury in Madrid to finally give Fed a top 4 win!

Anyways, Murray just seems calm and composed v Federer and returns serve well and seems to get a fair amount of break points v Federer in every match. He simply just has a solid all around game and the talent to win. Murray even won two 3 set matches v Federer after losing the first set tie break after having set point in them.

Murray says the secret is his Yoga.

illuminati
06-23-2009, 03:08 AM
murray has beaten federer almost everywhere and he just needs to do it in a slam. murray pretty much owns federer.
that last match in indian wells and doha earlier this year, federer just looked clueless against murray, esp. doha where federer was hitting forehand after forehand and slice after slice and serving really well, and murray just straight out beat him. murray's cat and mouse game iritates federer. federer loves the pace on ball like when he plays safin, he hates topspin and those cat and mouse defensive game. nadal started that trend, where instead of being incredibly offensive and go for ur shots and hope they go in, rafa took the reverse path, he did incredible defense and then chose the moment to go offense and federer doesnt have an answer to that. it helps if u can hit mind blowing passing shots from ridiculous positions like rafa. the problem is the best defensive players are nadal and murray and they both have a great offense as well, but the other have great offense but bad defense so once federer hits a big forehand they are screwed.

OTMPut
06-23-2009, 03:14 AM
As recent as 2008 september, Murray had a good 5 sets opportunity to play his incredible defense. I assume the wind blew him away.

illuminati
06-23-2009, 03:23 AM
As recent as 2008 september, Murray had a good 5 sets opportunity to play his incredible defense. I assume the wind blew him away.

murray was increbibly tired mentally and physically having to play a tough semis match with rafa over 2 days and the very next day he had to play federer. very tough to recover. and it was his 1st slam final, it was a massive occasion, he was nervous. but that last point in the 2008 us open final shows how great murrays defense is. its a matter of time before murray owns federer even at the slams.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 05:09 AM
murray was increbibly tired mentally and physically having to play a tough semis match with rafa over 2 days and the very next day he had to play federer. very tough to recover. and it was his 1st slam final, it was a massive occasion, he was nervous. but that last point in the 2008 us open final shows how great murrays defense is.its a matter of time before murray owns federer even at the slams.

I think with the stuff Murray has been saying in the media of late that your prediction regarding slams will not come true anytime soon.

Murray beats Federer in tournaments where Federer is not really hungry to win. ie Masters stuff, or lesser events. The one big match they played Federer toyed with him and Murray fell apart like a cheap watch. IF Murray gets to this final (a big if) I think you need to prepare yourself psychologically (since you are such a Fed-hater) to see the object of your dislike hand out a good old fashioned hiding, a la US Open 2008.

illuminati
06-23-2009, 05:20 AM
I think with the stuff Murray has been saying in the media of late that your prediction regarding slams will not come true anytime soon.

Murray beats Federer in tournaments where Federer is not really hungry to win. ie Masters stuff, or lesser events. The one big match they played Federer toyed with him and Murray fell apart like a cheap watch. IF Murray gets to this final (a big if) I think you need to prepare yourself psychologically (since you are such a Fed-hater) to see the object of your dislike hand out a good old fashioned hiding, a la US Open 2008.

who said i hate fed? i enjoy his old school text book style tennis just not as much as nadal, murray or djokovic

Blue Drop
06-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Murray was nervous at the US Open final (his first) and didn't bring his A game. If he had, the outcome might have been different (closer at least, if not entirely different).

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Im sure if Murray makes the Wimbledon final with all they mania surrounding him, he will be also nervous and Fed will be in all out attack mode again just like he was in New York. I just don't see Murray being able to beat Roger in a Grand Slam final or semi final or any Grand Slam match. Not yet, anyway.

Add to that Muray has been running his mouth a bit and that will not help his cause if he does get there.

P_Agony
06-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Fed is recently 0-4 against Murray, but all of their matches were best of 3 and on hard courts. They have yet to play on clay or grass.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Fed is recently 0-4 against Murray, but all of their matches were best of 3 and on hard courts. They have yet to play on clay or grass.

Id say if they played on Clay Murray would have a better chance of falling pregnant than beating Federer. Especially over a best of 5. Id say the same about grass at this point, until Murray starts justifying his hype in actual Grand Slam matches.

P_Agony
06-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Id say if they played on Clay Murray would have a better chance of falling pregnant than beating Federer. Especially over a best of 5. Id say the same about grass at this point, until Murray starts justifying his hype in actual Grand Slam matches.

Federer does have a mental problem against Murray and Djokovic. Since the US Open neither Murray and Djokovic have beaten Federer in staright sets. In their 6 combined meetings with Fed, in 5 of those Fed won the 1st set and then lost focus in the 2nd set. The only time he didn't win the 1st set was in Indian Wells when he won the 2nd set instead, but lost focus very quickly in the 3rd.

So I don't think it's a surface thing as much as it is mental.

AAAA
06-23-2009, 06:54 AM
It's called genuine competition from the highest ranked around you, not something I recall Sampras experiencing from the highest ranked around him during his best years.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 07:05 AM
The real issue is that in Grand Slams Federer is a total different animal to the player Murray and Djokovic is beating in the other events. He does not lose focus like he does lately in other non-GS events.

P_Agony
06-23-2009, 07:07 AM
The real issue is that in Grand Slams Federer is a total different animal to the player Murray and Djokovic is beating in the other events. He does not lose focus like he does lately in other non-GS events.

Well, to be honset the 5th set at the AO final was a complete loss of focus by Fed. His game totally collapsed.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Well, to be honset the 5th set at the AO final was a complete loss of focus by Fed. His game totally collapsed.

Agreed. But that was against Nadal who seems to have had some kind of a mental hold on him (the breeding ground of which was all the wallopings on clay) Fed has only lost Grand Slam finals to Nadal, no one else.

I just do not see Murrays pusher style cat and mouse game bothering federer in the final of a grand slam or any other grand slam matchup. Yes, it may have worked in the past and will probably work in the future at other lesser events on a hardcourt, but not where Federer has a huge incentive to impose his game and his will on his opponent. Roger knows how to win GS finals and the ones he lost outside of the French Open were ONLY just (in 5 sets) and ONLY to Nadal who had the (slight) mental edge.

illuminati
06-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Agreed. But that was against Nadal who seems to have had some kind of a mental hold on him (the breeding ground of which was all the wallopings on clay) Fed has only lost Grand Slam finals to Nadal, no one else.

I just do not see Murrays pusher style cat and mouse game bothering federer in the final of a grand slam or any other grand slam matchup. Yes, it may have worked in the past and will probably work in the future at other lesser events on a hardcourt, but not where Federer has a huge incentive to impose his game and his will on his opponent. Roger knows how to win GS finals and the ones he lost outside of the French Open were ONLY just (in 5 sets) and ONLY to Nadal who had the (slight) mental edge.

well im sure nadal would love to only just beat federer in slam finals everytime. atleast nadal beats his main competition to win it, unlike federer where he has to hope nadal loses at the french to win them. nadal can go for the career slam in the us open, become the youngest man to win the career slam, beat federer to give federer a career slam in losing slam finals at all 4 slams, and beat federer so nadal can have a career slam in beating federer t all 4 majors. hope rafa is fit and ready for the us open this year.

Guru
06-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Federer is Andy's whipping boy
but Roger wins when it matters most.

zagor
06-23-2009, 08:30 AM
It's actually 4 in a row but each match is a new match and Fed is tougher to beat in a best of five and especially on grass.We'll see,I hope they both make Wimbledon final this year,would be a great match I think.

illuminati
06-23-2009, 08:32 AM
i think wimbledon is a cruise for federer, he has the easiest draw, all claycourters or out of form players. ill be surprised if he even loses a set

zagor
06-23-2009, 08:35 AM
i think wimbledon is a cruise for federer, he has the easiest draw, all claycourters or out of form players. ill be surprised if he even loses a set

Uhm,no not really.Tsonga,Soderling,Verdasco,Djokovic,Kohlschr eiber etc. none of them are claycourters,they're hardcourters mostly but 95% of players on tour are hardcourters so that isn't saying much.

batz
06-23-2009, 08:44 AM

You know the funny thing about this? You'd probably have been saying the same thing about Roger at the same point in his career. Roger won a slam at his 18th attempt - Wimby this week is Murray's 15th slam.

Murray and Roger's record at their 22nd birthday are eerily similar (Murray has won 1 more ATP even and 2 more MS than Roger had at his 22nd birthday - both had made 1 slam final by then - Roger played world number 46 Mark Philipousis and won, Murray played world number 2 Roger Federer and lost).

Now, that doesn't mean Murray will go on to win 15 slams or even 1 slam - but it does provide a bit of context.

crash1929
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
should be fun to watch. if murray gets whipped we know federer just wasn't giving it his all in those other tournaments. hopefully its a good match. murray was one of those kids who was taken hostage at school by those terrorists so i think mentally he is probably pretty tough. seems cocky enough. i love how i saw him hit a drop shot into the net once in a match and brad got so ****ed at him. then what does murray do hits another one right after for a winner this time. gotta love that.