PDA

View Full Version : Will Roger Federer return to No. 1?

asianxtreme
06-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Who thinks that Federer will return the world No 1 spot by the end of this year?
easily possible especially if he wins this Wimbledon putting him only 100+ points between nadal.
On the other hand if Federer gets knocked out early say in QF then murray could possibly take over the No 2 position.

malakas
06-23-2009, 03:02 AM
he will return,but I am not sure if he will be so easily no.1 in the end of the year.But I vote yes.

aphex
06-23-2009, 03:46 AM
he will return,but I am not sure if he will be so easily no.1 in the end of the year.But I vote yes.

he has very little to defend until usopen....

he can gain a lot in MC too...

so, a very big possibility...

is lendl the only other person who has regained the no.1 spot?

malakas
06-23-2009, 04:00 AM
yes according to atp tour,Lendl was the only one who has regained the end of year no.1 spot.

Don't forget that Fed has to defend the USO,so a lot will depend on this.Also on Nadal.Nadal has a semis appearance and nothing from the TMC.So a lot for him to gain possibly too.

thejoe
06-23-2009, 05:37 AM
^He does, but he also has a lot to defend at Toronto and Cincy (a win and a semi-final appearance.)

joeri888
06-23-2009, 05:38 AM
yes according to atp tour,Lendl was the only one who has regained the end of year no.1 spot.

Don't forget that Fed has to defend the USO,so a lot will depend on this.Also on Nadal.Nadal has a semis appearance and nothing from the TMC.So a lot for him to gain possibly too.

A player winning3 out of the four Grandslams should always be year end no. 1:)

malakas
06-23-2009, 05:49 AM
A player winning3 out of the four Grandslams should always be year end no. 1:)

If Nadal had entered wimby and got to the quarters,Fed could be holding 3 of the 4 slams and still be no.2

dh003i
06-23-2009, 06:22 AM
all this talk about "defending points" is silly. I'm amazed that people talk about this so much. It doesn't matter whether you have to "defend" points or not.

The player who has picked up the most points over the last 1-year rolling period will be the #1 player. That's it. Simple.

P_Agony
06-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Does Fed has to win Wimbeldon in order to regain #1? If not, then I think he will get the top ranking back, but he won't dominate as before and won't keep it for long (I think the top spot will go back and forth between Fed and Nadal, with Murray as a special guest star).

Personally, I couldn't care less - I want Fed to win more titles rather than worry about the ranking.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Does Fed has to win Wimbeldon in order to regain #1? If not, then I think he will get the top ranking back, but he won't dominate as before and won't keep it for long (I think the top spot will go back and forth between Fed and Nadal, with Murray as a special guest star).

Personally, I couldn't care less - I want Fed to win more titles rather than worry about the ranking.

Exactly. Who cares about ranking when your career now is all about winning Grand Slams to seal your legacy.

MichaelChang
06-23-2009, 06:49 AM
I agree # of Slams is 1st priority for Federer. But do not forget, he could also try to break Sampras's record of total weeks of #1 spot. I think he could do it but it will be very hard. I think he needs about 40 something weeks at #1.

ElSuegro
06-23-2009, 08:11 AM
I think that Federer can get #1 back and keep it a while. If Nadal's knees are bothering him on soft surfaces like clay and grass, they're going to destroy him on American hard courts.

Guru
06-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Doesn't matter because it won't last long.

He's lost his last five against Murray, his last two against Djokovic
and we all know how badly Nadal owns him.

Federer can keep the number 1 spot warm for Rafa
because that's all he will be doing.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 08:16 AM
With Nadal struggling, Fed finding his form again, and Murray closing in on the hardcourt season, I have a hard time seeing Nadal anywhere higher than #3 for the rest of the year.

cknobman
06-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Federer returns to No 1 if he wins wimbledon and I think hell keep it.

Murray takes No 2

I say Rafa drops to 3 because hes going into hardcourt season with bum knees and hardcourts are the toughest of all surfaces on knees plus Rafa looses his Olympic points and all Wimbledon points.

Unless Rafa has a blowout last half of year it will be impossible for him to keep #2 much less #1.

remrusty
06-23-2009, 08:25 AM
hey wait, dont points only last 12 months, liek until the same event the next year.

nadal - 12,735
fed - 10,620
murray - 9230

so, nadals current points include last years wimbledon 2000. so after wimb he looses 2000 so he goes to 10,735. say if fed wins, he gains 1000 more (losses last years 1000 points, wins this years 2000) so he goes to #1. if murray wins, he gets 2000 points, so he would go to #1, fed #2, rafa #3?

stanfordtennis alum
06-23-2009, 08:31 AM
fed will be#1 by the end of wimbledon

remrusty
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
unless murray wins?

thalivest
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
With Nadal struggling, Fed finding his form again, and Murray closing in on the hardcourt season, I have a hard time seeing Nadal anywhere higher than #3 for the rest of the year.

I am mentally prepared for the possability of Rafa ending this year ranked #3 but I also havent given up hope yet. I have a feeling he could be refreshed for the hard court season now taking the time to properly heal an injury, and not be carrying the exhuastion from 5 out of 6 weeks of hard clay and grass tennis combined before the grueling hard court season even begins, the cummulative effort which has had him on his last legs literally in past U.S Opens. I have hope he could surprise some people this summer and even fall.

JeMar
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
^He does, but he also has a lot to defend at Toronto and Cincy (a win and a semi-final appearance.)

He lost in the second round of Canada and the third round of Cincinnati. He's got plenty of points to earn.

GameSampras
06-23-2009, 04:29 PM
With Nadal out for Wimbeldon, and one of the toughest parts of the season coming up with the Hardcourts and the USO, and Nadal not being physically top form and healthy, Fed could definitely return to number 1 now. And easily probably

boojay
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Fed should regain #1 soon (as early as right after Wimbledon) and Nadal should be able to hold on to #2 for a little while, but eventually Murray will take over. As Nadal continues his decent, Joker might even regain the #3 spot. I'm not sure how far Nads will fall, but he's definitely headed down.

Also, keep an eye out for Del Potro.