PDA

View Full Version : Old-fashioned commentating

David_86
06-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Does anyone here miss the style of broadcasting from 20 years ago?

I only get BBC, so I have to put up with Sue Barker. She seems too pleasant. She laughs at everything, and when she reads from the monitor it's like watching a really awful actress.

I think commentators have become too informal. Sometimes they seem to hardly be paying attention to the match they're watching. In the more dramatic matches, it's seems like they're desperately trying to come up with a single line of commentary that'll be remembered forever.

skip1969
06-23-2009, 06:14 AM
in my perfect world, i am sitting in front of a huge hdtv, and all i can hear is the sound of the ball being struck, and the applause, and the voice of the chair umpire as he calls out the score.

in my real world, i live in the states, which means that all i hear is the sound of a bunch of no-nothings rambling on and on, and saying very little that is worth remembering.

(*sigh*)

galactico
06-23-2009, 08:16 AM
agree, but sometimes if you watch a boring game, say like karlovic v roddick, the commentators don't say ****.....suits me fine.

commentators don't know **** no more, ****, we had tim henman critisising roddick today, that's insulting

certifiedjatt
06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
it's seems like they're desperately trying to come up with a single line of commentary that'll be remembered forever.

this is probably the greatest observation i have come across on TT! seriously.
this is why you hear things like "mathematical genius" and "immortal" and "defy the laws of physics" and the all too common "ballet like footwork " and "placed himself emphatically in the pages of tennis history". almost all of them have been about federer. and it just ****es me off, critically. they just want to top each other's descriptions of a player's achievements/shot-making. which is why the adjectives are becoming more and more ridiculous. it's disgusting.

Muzzafan
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I'd rather have british coverage than american with the complaints I see on here.

theduh
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I love Jason Goodall and Robin Koenig(sp?). Both knows how to stfu and when to comment.