PDA

View Full Version : State of womens tennis today vs past generations

lambielspins
06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Today at Wimbledon 38 year old Kimiko Date, who of course has come out of retirement after a 12 year absence from serious tennis, and a player whose highest ever year end ranking was #6 and whom never made a slam final even in her prime was able to take the current World #9 to 3 sets. What does that say about the current state in womens tennis? Poor Date, if she were in her prime today instead of a regular round of 16 loser and at times low end top 10 player she would probably be ranked #1 and winning 2 slam a year in todays field.

gpt
06-27-2009, 07:40 AM
no argument from me

rolandg
06-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I knind of agree, but I think people overstate how good womens tennis used to be. Remember Seles in 95. She hadn't played a match in 2.5 years, was fat and had a knee injury, but still blitzed everyone and almost beat the world number 1 in the US open final. Navratilova also came out of singles retirement a few years ago in her 40's and beat a player at Wimbledon (can't remember who). I agree women's tennis is awful today, but don't look back through rose tinted glasses. It's never been great.

lambielspins
06-27-2009, 08:20 AM
I think Seles benefited from her mystique when she first came back. Once that wore off her results quickly got alot worse. It is no coincidence her best success in returning to tour was her first 4 tournaments back.