PDA

View Full Version : Are clinics really good for intermediate players?

momtogrif
06-23-2009, 10:40 AM
My other thread got me thinking about clinics and how they affect the kids. My son had 2 previous coaches(from different clubs) who said they didn't think clinics were a good place for kids b/c they'd learn bad habits that would make it harder to work with them, etc. One of them said he didn't want to waste our money teaching a lesson where he'd have to try to reprogram our kid from bad habits they learned at clinic. They felt that private lessons with scheduled and managed match play was sufficient for the child's tennis game.

What are your thoughts?

eeytennis
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
My other thread got me thinking about clinics and how they affect the kids. My son had 2 previous coaches(from different clubs) who said they didn't think clinics were a good place for kids b/c they'd learn bad habits that would make it harder to work with them, etc. One of them said he didn't want to waste our money teaching a lesson where he'd have to try to reprogram our kid from bad habits they learned at clinic. They felt that private lessons with scheduled and managed match play was sufficient for the child's tennis game.

What are your thoughts?

When you say clinics do you mean group lessons? When i was a junior i would take private lessons and also hit in with a group of players once or twice a week. We would do a lot of live ball drills and it was always a fun time! Also, many juniors in my area who are highly ranked and good players all play in group lessons (as well as private). Just be careful who you do the clinics with and your son won't pick up bad habits. Clinics can be really beneficial because you son will be able to play with a lot of different kids and get some good hitting time in.

arunstennis
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
one word answer.............. YES

dividi
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
One of them said he didn't want to waste our money teaching a lesson where he'd have to try to reprogram our kid from bad habits they learned at clinic.

If the bad habit is corrected, then the money isn't really wasted.

They felt that private lessons with scheduled and managed match play was sufficient for the child's tennis game.

What are your thoughts?

Clinics are essentially practice sessions with some match play. Good place to meet other players as well.