PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's parents

endbegin
06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Just came across this article ... somewhere in the middle of the page, it is mentioned that Nadal's parents have now split.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6558058.ece

Here is the relevant text from the article dated Jun 23rd 2009:

"Right now, such sensitive matters are on the mind of Nadal, at home in Majorca. For many weeks there have been whispers that all was not uncomplicated in the Nadal household, that his parents, Sebastian and Ana Marķa, who hugged their son on the most joyous day of his life a year ago, had separated. Yesterday, we discovered that that was, in fact, the case, that Nadal had been playing in such a fog for the past couple of months, he should have been wearing luminous clothing. He is crushed and any fair-minded person has to be crushed for him."

This could have as much of a deep psychological impact on his game as anything. Add the bad knees, the shock of losing early at the FO, pressure of being number 1 and the associated mental fatigue, the combination of which results in him pulling out of Wimbledon.

I am no fan of Nadal's tennis, but I realize that his presence has been very beneficial for tennis in general. Obviously, he doesn't read TT forums, but here's best wishes to him anyway.

tahiti
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
We knew this was in the running since last year. Poor Rafa, what a time for his parents to split just at the pinnacle of his career. Not really kind of the parents. Though I suppose we don't know what the story is....and divorce is never fair. But they could have maybe waited a few years, if they've been so long together. Kids always feel to blame and Rafa always being away and so intensely busy in his career must make him feel rather awful. Specially coz this will be splashed all over the media and it doesn't fit with his "strong family image" that was so Nadal.

T. H. Park
06-23-2009, 12:05 PM
That is too bad for the Nadal family. It must've been tough for Rafa - especially since he seems to be such a family oriented fellow, at least according to the media. His mental state has not been at the best level. Not a good time for Nadal.

angharad
06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
But they could have maybe waited a few years, if they've been so long together.

The rumor that I've heard is that they've been waiting for Rafa's younger sister to turn 18. They've apparently been living separately for a year or more. That's no easier on the kids.

Poor Rafa. :(

endbegin
06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
^^^ I don't think it is any use assigning blame in this situation. Stuff happens sometimes.

(by the way, nice sig)

endbegin
06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
^^^ I don't think it is any use assigning blame in this situation. Stuff happens sometimes.

(by the way, nice sig)

That was meant for tahiti.

tahiti
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM

(by the way, nice sig)

Thanks. Sure stuff happens and it takes to tango but people are naturally selfish and they also make it happen because of their selfishness.
Now Nadal's sister must begin college with a blow and Rafa has reached his dream while watching his personal life fall apart around it through no fault of his own. Hard to enjoy your success and doubly hard to be motivated. No. Sorry gotta blame someone here, there's no way to talk this good.

sureshs
06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
At least he got Uncle Toni

TennisandMusic
06-23-2009, 12:21 PM
That would certainly explain his "it's personal" comment when he lost in Miami, referring to his problems.

VivalaVida
06-23-2009, 12:23 PM
So unfortunate. :(

endbegin
06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks. Sure stuff happens and it takes to tango but people are naturally selfish and they also make it happen because of their selfishness.
Now Nadal's sister must begin college with a blow and Rafa has reached his dream while watching his personal life fall apart around it through no fault of his own. Hard to enjoy your success and doubly hard to be motivated. No. Sorry gotta blame someone here, there's no way to talk this good.

Well, there will be a time for post-mortems but that is his family issue. Regardless, blaming is pointless because it won't change anything and will only make things worse.

nadal for number1
06-23-2009, 01:16 PM
wow what a blow to nadal... hope he now comes back stronger than ever VAMOS RAFA!

charliefedererer
06-23-2009, 01:26 PM
This is definitely going to affect Raffa more than the many players who went away to live at tennis academies. His home life was a pillar of his supreme mental strength. I can only hope his knees heal so he can pour all his energy back into tennis. Being injured right now lets this just eat away at him. But he still has to give the knees the proper time to heal, then alter his schedule to stay healthy.

kimbahpnam
06-23-2009, 01:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon09/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4280346

joeri888
06-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Gossip alert. He should be left alone in his personal life. I don't care much anyway. It doesn't have anything to do with tennis.

TennisandMusic
06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Gossip alert. He should be left alone in his personal life. I don't care much anyway. It doesn't have anything to do with tennis.

Actually it potentially has a lot to do with his tennis performance. It is gossip though. But still, it would explain quite a bit.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 01:51 PM

If you're 23, and your parents divorce translates into YOUR personal life falling apart, something's up.

joeri888
06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Actually it potentially has a lot to do with his tennis performance. It is gossip though. But still, it would explain quite a bit.

IF it explains a lot that's Rafa's problem. Rafa played bad. Period. Do we care about the fact that Soderling slept bad before his final against Federer, because it might have affected his performance? Do we care that Verdasco's brother having a bad cough, gave Verdasco the flu which causes him losing twice in the first round of a grass court tournament? I don't. It's about what you bring to court, and how that's happened is their business IMO. Mono, knee injuries, exhaustion, divorce, heat, nerves everybody has problems it's about how you deal with it that counts for me. I rather talk tennis performance than about some possible explanation. I just conclude Rafa played a bad match against Soderling and Federer by his standards on clay.

angharad
06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I feel sorry for the 40-50% of kids, under the age of 18 , whose parents are divorced, but a 23yo man who is a multimillionaire, give me a break. He is a
grown man not a child.

So? Divorce sucks, regardless of your age or status. Family is clearly everything to him, and he's probably shattered by this.

CCNM
06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
So it's 100% true that Rafa's parents are having marital problems? (there's a big difference between being separated & being divorced. Very sorry to hear that.

Lsmkenpo
06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
You are classless.

BS, you have sympathy for him because he is your idol, I guarantee you wouldn't think twice if it was anyone else.

I have been a member of bigbrothers/big sisters for the past 10 years, I lost both my parents when I was 12 years old.

What have you done for kids that really need help?
You want to see if Nadal needs a big brother?

You don't know me, so cut the insults.

I think it is pretty sad to spend time worrying about Nadal when there are 100 of millions of kids, that really need help, and sorry Nadal is not at the top of that list, dont care how many slams he wins.

Tennis_Bum
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
IF it explains a lot that's Rafa's problem. Rafa played bad. Period. Do we care about the fact that Soderling slept bad before his final against Federer, because it might have affected his performance? Do we care that Verdasco's brother having a bad cough, gave Verdasco the flu which causes him losing twice in the first round of a grass court tournament? I don't. It's about what you bring to court, and how that's happened is their business IMO. Mono, knee injuries, exhaustion, divorce, heat, nerves everybody has problems it's about how you deal with it that counts for me. I rather talk tennis performance than about some possible explanation. I just conclude Rafa played a bad match against Soderling and Federer by his standards on clay.

Fair statements. Just keep to the tennis. Personal issues, etc. are irrelevant when you are playing a match. Yes, it affects you but we are only interested in tennis in general. I like Fed, but I don't care how he handles fatherhood on his own time. I don't care how he juggles being a father and being a pro, that is his problem. When he plays, I just hope he can generate excellent tennis and the other personal issues that he has, well I can speak for everyone, but we all have them ourselves.

We don't go to work and say to our manager, I screwed up this transaction and lost 4 million dollars because I have personal issues will you let it go. I promise to make it up to you next time. I think the manager is going to be sympathetic but that doesn't mean he won't make a business decision regarding that disastrous transaction.

Nadal_Freak
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
BS, you have sympathy for him because he is your idol, I guarantee you wouldn't think twice if it was anyone else.

I have been a member of bigbrothers/big sisters for the past 10 years, I lost both my parents when I was 12 years old.

What have you done for kids that really need help?
You want to see if Nadal needs a big brother?

I think it is pretty sad to spend time worrying about Nadal when there are 100 of millions of kids, that really need help, and sorry Nadal is not at the top of that list, dont care how many slams he wins.
Of course you would think that way. You are the one that wrote down the filth. Mods will take care of you hopefully.

norbac
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Poor Rafa. :( It's really sad seeing as how Nadal seems to be really close to his family.

Lsmkenpo
06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Of course you would think that way. You are the one that wrote down the filth. Mods will take care of you hopefully.

Think what way, elaborate?

Oh because I put my energy and sympathy into people who really need it, not superstar millionaire tennis players who are grown men.

It has nothing to do with Nadal, I would feel the same way if the thread was about Federer.

It has to do with dumb threads praying for Nadal's knees and his parents separating.I think it is pretty damn sad that people focus that much energy on a tennis player, when I guarantee there are people right in front of their faces that really need the help, or sympathy, but will not get it, simply because they are not famous, absolutely pathetic.

If the mods take care of anyone they will take care of you for insulting me, because you are obsessed, and can not differentiate reality, and take any opinion not supporting Nadal as a personal insult, what a joke.

Nadal_Freak
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Think what way, elaborate? Oh because I put my energy and sympathy into people who really need it, not superstar millionaire tennis players who are grown men.

It has nothing to do with Nadal, I would feel the same way if the thread was about Federer.

It has to do with dumb thread praying for Nadal's knees and his parents separating.I think it is pretty damn sad that people focus that much energy on a tennis player, when I guarantee there are people right in front of their faces that really need the help, or sympathy, but will not get it, simply because they are not famous, absolutely pathetic.
What's pathetic is how little you think of divorce. It is a horrible thing no matter how rich or famous you are. Death and divorce can not be made up by riches.

angharad
06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Think what way, elaborate? Oh because I put my energy and sympathy into people who really need it, not superstar millionaire tennis players who are grown men.
It has nothing to do with Nadal.

It has to do with dumb thread praying for Nadal's knees and his parents separating.I think it is pretty damn sad that people focus that much energy on a tennis player, when I guarantee there are people right in front of their faces that really need the help, or sympathy, but will not get it, simply because they are not famous, absolutely pathetic.

Because it takes so much energy to post that you have sympathy for someone when their parents are separating. And I'm sure no one but you on this thread volunteers with or donates to a worthy cause. I'm also sure that you know this about everyone who's posted on this thread, which is why you feel qualified to condemn anyone who's posted here.

Oh, wait...

Take your own advice.

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM

So his opinion is to be discarded simply because it's different from yours? Who gives a crap if you thought his post was classless---it was his opinion, but you run to the mods like you're running to mommy and daddy.

Grow up, all of you

dwhiteside
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Somehow I doubt the reason for Nadal's last few losses are related to the divorce/separation in any way.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Why does he need taking care of? Because he said something that offended you? His point came across rather crudely, but it's true nevertheless.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 03:07 PM
What's pathetic is how little you think of divorce. It is a horrible thing no matter how rich or famous you are. Death and divorce can not be made up by riches.

What fantasy world do you live in where divorce affects impoverished children the same way that it affects millionaire 23 year olds? The point the post in question was making was that the horribleness of divorce varies according to the situation, and that some of the posters here are paying inordinate attention to Nadal's hardship just because it's Nadal's hardship, not because it's a devastating hardship. It's a tennis forum, so that understandable, but his point is still a good one though crudely expressed. Condemn it if you will, but to try and run to the moderators just because you don't like what he said? That's kinda classless too.

charliefedererer
06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Complain to mods. They monitor idiotic posts like this one and will probably remove it.

Leublu, thank you. You are right about going to the mods about inappropiate posts.

MasturB
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Really feel bad for Rafa.

I'm a Roger fan first and foremost (he's the reason i started watching tennis more than casually).

However, I see Rafa as a really good ambassador for tennis. Sure some people don't like the fact that his game is "rough" but he's still a damn good player. The only gripe I have with him is his pre-serve ritual that takes forever. Other than that, I love his fighting spirit on the court and his never give up mentality. I love how competitive he is and the power he brings onto the court physically and mentally.

To see this happen to someone this young(no matter how much money he has) is pretty sad. Especially since all we've heard about is how close Nadal's family is. Nadal is a family man and so this must effect him pretty badly.

MasturB
06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
What fantasy world do you live in where divorce affects impoverished children the same way that it affects millionaire 23 year olds? The point the post in question was making was that the horribleness of divorce varies according to the situation, and that some of the posters here are paying inordinate attention to Nadal's hardship just because it's Nadal's hardship, not because it's a devastating hardship. It's a tennis forum, so that understandable, but his point is still a good one though crudely expressed. Condemn it if you will, but to try and run to the moderators just because you don't like what he said? That's kinda classless too.

I'm sure it affects rafa a good bunch considering how much of a family man he is. Sure he's a millionaire, but that doesn't mean he is immune to feelings.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Really feel bad for Rafa.

I'm a Roger fan first and foremost (he's the reason i started watching tennis more than casually).

However, I see Rafa as a really good ambassador for tennis. Sure some people don't like the fact that his game is "rough" but he's still a damn good player. The only gripe I have with him is his pre-serve ritual that takes forever. Other than that, I love his fighting spirit on the court and his never give up mentality. I love how competitive he is and the power he brings onto the court physically and mentally.

To see this happen to someone this young(no matter how much money he has) is pretty sad. Especially since all we've heard about is how close Nadal's family is. Nadal is a family man and so this must effect him pretty badly.

Look, I think it's unfortunate that Nadal's parents are splitting up. Considering that Nadal is so close (dependent upon?) his family, the divorce will hit him harder than in families that aren't so close. But to say that the divorce is horrible because Nadal is THIS young? Nadal is a grown man at an age where most people have moved out of the parents' house and have started a life of their own, often having a family of their own.

I guess my point is that Nadal is not a little boy, though he seems to be infatilized by people in the media and on this forum.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm sure it affects rafa a good bunch considering how much of a family man he is. Sure he's a millionaire, but that doesn't mean he is immune to feelings.

Where in my post did I say Nadal won't be affected? I said that it won't affect him in the same way that it affects minors, which is the point that the condemened poster made earlier.

TennisandMusic
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I somewhat agree with lsmkenpo here...in that, if only people cared as much about regular folk as they do about the people they cling too in sports. The praying about Nadal's knees thing was in fact a bit over the top. As if God would actually care about the results of a sporting event, instead of the kid starving down your street?

On the other hand divorce is pretty bad regardless of money. Seems like a lot of people like to say money doesn't buy you happiness, yet when something goes wrong in a rich person's life they say "Oh you feel sorry for someone who is filthy rich?" I certainly don't think divorce hurts less if you have more money. All money is is a means to buy stuff, and stuff never makes you happy unless you're a complete idiot.

I'm sure this hurts (if it's true) for Nadal. But agreed, if people only cared about the hurting (actual) children everywhere else...

I suppose the question in tennis terms is, will Nadal use this as an opportunity to grow or will it hurt his results.

angharad
06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Where in my post did I say Nadal won't be affected? I said that it won't affect him in the same way that it affects minors, which is the point that the condemened poster made earlier.

That's a bit of a moot point, though: We know that Nadal is not an average 23-year-old. Anyone who knows who he is realises that. But a simple thread expressing sympathy for his parents' situation has turned into some bizarre debate about how much worse divorce is for other people. It's uncalled for, in my opinion. It's sad that one can't even offer sympathy without being criticised.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Rafa still lives with his parents, though. Maybe he'll get his own place with Xisca.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I somewhat agree with lsmkenpo here...in that, if only people cared as much about regular folk as they do about the people they cling too in sports. The praying about Nadal's knees thing was in fact a bit over the top. As if God would actually care about the results of a sporting event, instead of the kid starving down your street?

On the other hand divorce is pretty bad regardless of money. Seems like a lot of people like to say money doesn't buy you happiness, yet when something goes wrong in a rich person's life they say "Oh you feel sorry for someone who is filthy rich?" I certainly don't think divorce hurts less if you have more money. All money is is a means to buy stuff, and stuff never makes you happy unless you're a complete idiot.

I'm sure this hurts (if it's true) for Nadal. But agreed, if people only cared about the hurting (actual) children everywhere else...

I suppose the question in tennis terms is, will Nadal use this as an opportunity to grow or will it hurt his results.

Well said, and I might add that I think lsmkenpo and me were emphasizing age more than money. The family is an economic unit in today's society, with children acting as the consumers and parents as the producers. Kids identities and coolness hinge on owning the newest and the most expensive goodies, so I don't think we should pretend that Nadal's $$$ wouldn't be a factor if, say, he was under the age of 18. Most kids who have divorced parents find themselves much less well off in what they can expect monetarily.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
That's a bit of a moot point, though: We know that Nadal is not an average 23-year-old. Anyone who knows who he is realises that. But a simple thread expressing sympathy for his parents' situation has turned into some bizarre debate about how much worse divorce is for other people. It's uncalled for, in my opinion. It's sad that one can't even offer sympathy without being criticised.

Disagree. It wasn't the sympathy that was criticized. It was the lack of comparable sympathy for others who are perhaps in less shall we say stable positions. But I agree that it might have been a classier thing just to keep mum.

angharad
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Disagree. It wasn't the sympathy that was criticized. It was the lack of comparable sympathy for others who are perhaps in less shall we say stable positions. But I agree that it might have been a classier thing just to keep mum.

To go back to an earlier point I made: How do you (or anyone else) know that sympathy hasn't been expressed for others? This is a tennis forum, not a family issues forum. This thread is about Nadal, not about divorces in general.

The criticism is unwarranted.

kanamit
06-23-2009, 03:44 PM
To go back to an earlier point I made: How do you (or anyone else) know that sympathy hasn't been expressed for others? This is a tennis forum, not a family issues forum. This thread is about Nadal, not about divorces in general.

The criticism is unwarranted.

We can only judge based on what we read in the forum, which is admittedly about tennis. I'm not sticking up for the poster's decision to criticize others. Just saying that I think the larger point he was making in his post is correct and should not be subject to censorship just cuz a few people have issues.

Serve_Ace
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Awwww, isn't that just tooooo badd

angharad
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Just saying that I think the larger point he was making in his post is correct and should not be subject to censorship just cuz a few people have issues.

And I can completely agree with that. I think people got that poster confused with another, who posted something rather crude and inappropriate. That post has since been taken care of, however, so I can't be entirely sure.

jamesblakefan#1
06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Divorce is a tough thing for any person to go do at any stage of life. Nothing but my best hopes go out to the Nadal family.

nikdom
06-23-2009, 04:59 PM
What piousness and concern! Did anyone stop to think that a divorce maybe exactly what the couple need? Maybe he's an a-h*le to her or she feels stifled in the "close-knit" family. Whatever the case, most times divorces are for the better especially if abuse or emotional trauma are involved.

Rafael is no doe-eyed 8 yr old who wouldn't understand why mom and dad are divorcing and whose life would be forever altered because 2 adults decide marriage is not for them. He's a grown *** man with millions to boot. So stop your stupid commisseration like its a natural disaster. He'll deal with. I'm sure he can afford a counselor.

Tennis360
06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
sad news. I hope Rafa remains strong amidst all these. wish him all the best.

Al Czervik
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Too tired to read the whole thread.

Something I ALWAYS think when I see mama Nadal.

She = Carmela from The Sopranos.

http://www.peterenglund.com/Images/carmela.jpg

nikdom
06-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Too tired to read the whole thread.

Something I ALWAYS think when I see mama Nadal.

She = Carmela from The Sopranos.

http://www.peterenglund.com/Images/carmela.jpg

LOL, papa Nadal looks like Tony Soprano too!

Serve_Ace
06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
If this problem really did affect his results, then he's not the mentally strong person everyone thinks he is.

DarthFed
06-23-2009, 05:52 PM
If this problem really did affect his results, then he's not the mentally strong person everyone thinks he is.

All players have issues..i heard Fed's dad was so sick he couldn't watch his son in the final.

But divorce is tough on anyone..

endbegin
06-23-2009, 05:52 PM
When I posted this thread, I was hoping to start a discussion on how it affects his tennis, but like a lot of threads here it has devolved into these "I am right and you suck" type threads.

Yes, divorce sucks but I am not concerned with the associated gossip. This news has now been posted on several tennis websites and the main reason is that this is sporting news because it affects Nadal's tennis. After he lost in Miami, he said he was being weighed down because of "personal reasons" and this could be it. There are a lot of other threads around about why he pulled out of Wimbledon which can be summarized as:

1. Bad knees
2. Pressure of being no. 1
3. Hurt badly by Madrid and FO losses on clay
4. Worried that Soderling showed the world how to beat him
5. Worried that losing in the early rounds at Wimbledon will result in other players not fearing him
6. Just plain tired of having to play these marathon 3 and 5 setters all year
7. Didn't organize his schedule well, i.e. played too much

and some others too, I'm sure.

And now, this. It doesn't matter how rich you are, something like this takes a toll, at least initially. To me, this (and not the knees) is a big reason he didn't show up at Wimbledon.

Serve_Ace
06-23-2009, 06:01 PM
All players have issues..i heard Fed's dad was so sick he couldn't watch his son in the final.

But divorce is tough on anyone..

Well he should be able to get through it

Lsmkenpo
06-23-2009, 06:21 PM
And now, this. It doesn't matter how rich you are, something like this takes a toll, at least initially. To me, this (and not the knees) is a big reason he didn't show up at Wimbledon.

Yes,not a good thing, but this is not something new, it's been reported that they have been living apart for over a year, and Nadal does not live at home anymore, he is a grown man with his own apartment, actually apartments.

The media just likes to portray him as a kid living with his parents still, hasn't been the case for over a year. Media hype, majority of it is outdated information being recycled, for a feel good story.

Posters act as if this is a major shock, that occurred without warning to Nadal and now he must decide which parent he will live with, and a custody battle will unfold, as if he is a young kid.

Looking back over the past year by his results, it doesn't seem to me, as if it effected him too much, he had a spectacular year.

It is not a good thing, but i don't think it warrants a full fledged pity party, he had a great year in spite of it.

zagor
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Word,excellent post.

endbegin
06-23-2009, 07:19 PM
It is not a good thing, but i don't think it warrants a full fledged pity party, he had a great year in spite of it.

I am not trying to pity him, or generate some Nadal pity-fest ... like I said before, just didn't completely buy the "my knees hurt" argument and just felt like there was something deeper.

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I feel sorry for anyone whose parents divorce, but in all honesty...(sighs) I really don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm gonna go ahead and say what a lot of people might be thinking---He's 23 years old, a grown man. And to the person who equated divorce to death, are you kidding me? They are nowhere near the same thing. Most of the time when people get divorced, THEY NEED TO AND SHOULD.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be hard on Nadal. But there's a lot of hard sh** that goes on in life, and if his parents divorcing is the worst thing that's ever going to happen to him, that's a pretty cushy life.

So no, I'm not going to sit here and say, "Oh poor Nadal. This explains a lot. I feel sooooo sorry for him."

But I'm also not going to say, "He should just get over it."

Life's about looking forward, not back. I think he knows this, and he (and the rest of his family) will be fine.

For God's sake, no one died.

I mean, hell, I never saw pages of posts here of people saying they felt sorry for underage Jelena Dokic getting beaten by her father. Maybe a few, but it didn't have the attention of a Nadal's parents getting divorced. What a strange web we TW posters weave.

TheTruth
06-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Excellent post TennisandMusic, and lsmkenpo too.

I do think far too much special attention is given to athletes and the wealthy.

We should care for everyone around us.

But, those who want to pray for someone, that's fine too.

I'm a big fan of Nadal's but, things happen for a reason, and what looks like a disaster could be a blessing in disguise.

I'm hoping Nadal rests his knees so he can play tennis in the future. That's it.

TheTruth
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
What piousness and concern! Did anyone stop to think that a divorce maybe exactly what the couple need? Maybe he's an a-h*le to her or she feels stifled in the "close-knit" family. Whatever the case, most times divorces are for the better especially if abuse or emotional trauma are involved.

Rafael is no doe-eyed 8 yr old who wouldn't understand why mom and dad are divorcing and whose life would be forever altered because 2 adults decide marriage is not for them. He's a grown *** man with millions to boot. So stop your stupid commisseration like its a natural disaster. He'll deal with. I'm sure he can afford a counselor.

Hilarious post!

TheTruth
06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes,not a good thing, but this is not something new, it's been reported that they have been living apart for over a year, and Nadal does not live at home anymore, he is a grown man with his own apartment, actually apartments.

The media just likes to portray him as a kid living with his parents still, hasn't been the case for over a year. Media hype, majority of it is outdated information being recycled, for a feel good story.

Posters act as if this is a major shock, that occurred without warning to Nadal and now he must decide which parent he will live with, and a custody battle will unfold, as if he is a young kid.

Looking back over the past year by his results, it doesn't seem to me, as if it effected him too much, he had a spectacular year.

This is excellent too. I'm glad you brought up the he still lives with his parents issue. That hasn't been the case for awhile. It's weird how the commentators keep acting as if that's true.

cork_screw
06-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Uncle Toni is almost as annoying as Sharapova's father.

kinski76
06-23-2009, 11:48 PM

Word, and WORD! Harsh, but basically true.

50% of all marriages end in divorce. 1/3 of the kids I dealt with in kindergarten had to deal with their parents' going separate
ways during the time I worked there. My sister and her husband separated last year, and they have three kids; 12, 11 and 10 respectively. I assure you
that I applauded their decision. In most cases separating/divorcing is for the best; living in a hostile/unhappy family climate can be way more damaging to a young person's psyche than an actual breakup, after the initial shock and trauma wears off.

The "they should stay together for the kids"-argument is somewhat compelling when the kids are too young and impressionable
to understand the ways of the world, but a pretty laughable one when the "kids" in question are 23 and 18. If Rafa is too emotionally vulnerable to deal with something that happen to half the married world's population, then he's got some real issues.

TennisandMusic
06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Your first post eh. Well I can tell you my parents split up when I was a kid, and even though I see them both regularly now it STILL isn't fun to think about it, and it STILL sometimes makes me sad. Who wants their parents split up at any age?? And I will be 29 in a few months.

This idea that because Nadal is 23 and rich, that it won't affect him, is bogus.

Again we don't even know if this is entirely true do we?

Leublu tennis
06-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Interest info5

tahiti
06-24-2009, 12:12 AM

Joeri:If Mirka goes into labour just before Fed's potential SF match at Wimbledon & Fed doesn't play would you say his personal life has nothing to do with his perhaps not appearing? Personal life affects tennis dot com. Comparing divorce to a bad sleep, flu, or cough is no analogy. Your examples are all temporary measures compared to divorce. A combination of negative factors in one's life will always affect performance. As Nadal's uncle coaches him and his closely knit family have always been a kind of signature for Nadal it has very much to do with his tennis. Tennis is his life and so is his family. Just because some personal effects are positive (marriage and children) and others not, (divorce) personal circumstances will affect a player's tennis, because behind celebrity status they are ordianary people like you and I.

If you're 23, and your parents divorce translates into YOUR personal life falling apart, something's up.

Kanamit: Rafa is mainly on tour and returning "home" to Manacor is his haven. Last year he bought his first home so we could presume "moved out of his parents' home. I doubt he's spent much time there coz he's been mostly on tour. Home now means, own house, mom and dad living separately and sister in Barcelona. The closely knit family is now in 4 separate pieces. That's what I mean by "personal life falling apart." Take personal as "family" if you wish.

Mods: thanks for removing that tasteless idiotic message which Nadal_Freak was referring to.

To anyone referring to money, age or poor other kids who have suffered similar or worse things. The thread is about the negative circumstances Nadal finds himself in, not the world's woes. Divorce is a universal thing, a signature of the western world and leaves noone untouched. So before you jump in insulting others for perhaps "never having helped other children or mocking people because Nadal is their idol" why don't you hold yourself in check. You come onto a board anonymously, not knowing what anyone has suffered or what they do in their life. Lashing out with rash assumptions only demonstrates your own personal unresolved issues.

What you forget (and I do work with children) is that Rafa is their idol and especially for those who come from broken homes! Successful Rafa advocated that family dream that many of those children will never experience. Their "little dream" is also shattered. So before you shout out "think of others, not your idol " why don't you take your own advice.

to the OP Endbegin: When I say someone has to be blamed, it is in light sheer heartedness to find a laugh in it somewhere. Ultimately two parents are always to blame anyway, it takes two in any relationship. I would take out points 2,3,4,5 and 6 out of your summary. They are nonsense.

That leaves his knees, a too busy schedule and personal family matters which has left Nadal in a phase of not being able to play his best or with the desire to win and rise above all adversity. No one is saying that's why he loses. Everyone loses matches. But it would explain his temporary withdrawal from the main tennis events which he is always so involved in.

Underhand
06-24-2009, 12:13 AM
So which parent will get Rafa after the divorce? How will the divorce judge decide?

Leublu tennis
06-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Uncle Toni is almost as annoying as Sharapova's father.Unc I have seen at matches but not Maria's father. When did you see him and what was so annoying about him?

Leublu tennis
06-24-2009, 12:22 AM
So which parent will get Rafa after the divorce? How will the divorce judge decide?You come up with some real funnies at times. This one is so original.

tahiti
06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
He seems in the media to be closer to his father, but I would say his Mother. She's the cook!

malakas
06-24-2009, 12:34 AM

Couldn't disagree more!Parents are separate people you know,and they have their own lives.The world doesn't revolve around Rafa!
They have been living separate for quite a few years already,and there's been rumour about separating officialy all this past year.

This has no question with the loss at the FO,because Rafa knew about this for quite a whole time.He already mentioned some personal problem in Miami.
He might be affected,but he was long affected before the French,and since he could win the other tournaments,no reason it would affect him losing that one.

malakas
06-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Your first post eh. Well I can tell you my parents split up when I was a kid, and even though I see them both regularly now it STILL isn't fun to think about it, and it STILL sometimes makes me sad. Who wants their parents split up at any age?? And I will be 29 in a few months.

This idea that because Nadal is 23 and rich, that it won't affect him, is bogus.

I agree.Age doesn't matter.Nor riches.

Yeah I'm sorry but it is true.:(

kinski76
06-24-2009, 12:56 AM

I didn't for one minute mean to imply that it wouldn't affect him or his performances (it most likely has, for some time already), I was merely challenging the myth (which I've seen some people on this thread perpetuate) that divorce is and always will be a selfish decision. It's never as black/white as that. In some cases it can be the most unselfish decision to make. Sure, having your parents divorce is no "fun" as you put it, regardless of age, but living in a joyless marriage sure can't be much "fun" either. As for Rafa, I am sure he wouldn't wish that continued fate on his parents even if it WAS for his sake, because that would be mighty selfish on his part.
I'm sure he'd rather wish for them to be happy.

Then again, like you said, we don't even know if this is true or not. For all we know this rumour could all be media hogwash.

illuminati
06-24-2009, 02:46 AM

for making fun of nadal, i hope u suffer one day. what goes around comes around!

TheMusicLover
06-24-2009, 02:55 AM
The "they should stay together for the kids"-argument is somewhat compelling when the kids are too young and impressionable
to understand the ways of the world, but a pretty laughable one when the "kids" in question are 23 and 18. If Rafa is too emotionally vulnerable to deal with something that happen to half the married world's population, then he's got some real issues.

Words of wisdom.

Rafa is a grown-up man, and people who keep on referring to him as a 'kid' really make me shake my head in wonder. He's young, yes, but at that age you should know what goes around in the world, and I'm sure he does. It may have affected him for a bit - like everyone would be - but it surely shouldn't be the 'drama' some posters make it sound like.

babbette
06-24-2009, 03:16 AM
It's easy for people coming from countries with no strong family values ( meaning countires were the norm is for the child to move out by 18 ) to say "he's a grown man, i'm sure his millions will make him feel better." But for a Spanish lad like Rafa with strong family values, that has lived with his parents since he was born I can imagine how this could affect him and how this could hinder his focus on things.

But also, I give him more credit than this. I think he's much more mature than people or media give him credit for. I'm not sure we can say this problem affected his performance. After all they have been seperated since last year, around Wimbledon time I believe, so he would have had time to contemplate the idea even though it is never easy, believe me I know from personal experience and many others do too. Especially when deep down you hope that during their seperation something will click and they will get back together.

He must feel like his world is falling apart at the moment, his knees, press going on about his longevity plus this. Hopefully the seperation isn't bitter so he doesn't have to worry about communicating with one parent without hurting the other, like I have to. It's tough. I wonder if he's going to live on his own now or whether his dad will move out and he will remain with his mother. He does have a home in Porto cristo and another one is being build in Ibiza.

Things will be alright. Devasting time, but things should get better.

Although, for me, years down the line and my parents are still a damn nightmare, bickering like kids and accusing me of taking sides when I act caringly towards the other. fun and stressless times. :-x

tintin
06-24-2009, 04:02 AM
parent's divorce every day all over the world
why should it be earth shattering for Nadal in particular?http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0006.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0092.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-South-America/scuba-diving-the-galapagos-islands)

babbette
06-24-2009, 04:04 AM
parent's divorce every day all over the world
why should it be earth shattering for Nadal in particular?http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0006.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0092.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-South-America/scuba-diving-the-galapagos-islands)
because for any child that has lived with his parents since they were young, and for someone that values tight family unit it would be a huge blow.

rafan
06-24-2009, 05:22 AM
It's easy for people coming from countries with no strong family values ( meaning countires were the norm is for the child to move out by 18 ) to say "he's a grown man, i'm sure his millions will make him feel better." But for a Spanish lad like Rafa with strong family values, that has lived with his parents since he was born I can imagine how this could affect him and how this could hinder his focus on things.

But also, I give him more credit than this. I think he's much more mature than people or media give him credit for. I'm not sure we can say this problem affected his performance. After all they have been seperated since last year, around Wimbledon time I believe, so he would have had time to contemplate the idea even though it is never easy, believe me I know from personal experience and many others do too. Especially when deep down you hope that during their seperation something will click and they will get back together.

He must feel like his world is falling apart at the moment, his knees, press going on about his longevity plus this. Hopefully the seperation isn't bitter so he doesn't have to worry about communicating with one parent without hurting the other, like I have to. It's tough. I wonder if he's going to live on his own now or whether his dad will move out and he will remain with his mother. He does have a home in Porto cristo and another one is being build in Ibiza.

Although, for me, years down the line and my parents are still a damn nightmare, bickering like kids and accusing me of taking sides when I act caringly towards the other. fun and stressless times. :-x

A great post Babette - and with humour

Underhand
06-24-2009, 05:47 AM
He must feel like his world is falling apart at the moment, his knees, press going on about his longevity plus this.

Well, at least as he doesn't read too much in English, he probably doesn't read your syrupy drivels so there's a little ease for him in this cruel world.

Serve_Ace
06-24-2009, 05:53 AM
for making fun of nadal, i hope u suffer one day. what goes around comes around!

Oh yeah? You hope my parents are going to spilt up? Well not going to happen bro.

sureshs
06-24-2009, 05:55 AM
I am willing to adopt Nadal and "manage" his money for him

Underhand
06-24-2009, 06:01 AM
I am willing to adopt Nadal and "manage" his money for him

You're the most clever in this thread.

imjimmy
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1195122/Rafael-Nadals-heartache-parents-split.html

"""
He withdrew from defending his Wimbledon title because of his bad knees. But Rafael Nadal has also been nursing a more personal hurt.

For many weeks there have been whispers that all was not well in the Nadal household, and yesterday it was confirmed that the world number-one's parents Sebastian and Ana Maria have separated.

Nadal's family is hugely important to him. The 23-year-old still lives in the family home in Majorca and is coached by his uncle Toni.

A source close to the Nadal camp said: 'Rafa is devastated. All through the past couple of months he has been trying to get his tennis back on track, but his heart has been elsewhere.

'In public he has put on a brave face, but in private he has been hoping for a reconciliation and fervently wishing this wasn't happening. Now he has returned home and is catching up with his family.

'He talked about resetting his body after withdrawing from the championships and yet he has a more difficult task - resetting his entire life.'

""""

ElSuegro
06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Nadal isn't the first top player whose parents have bothered his career. Peter Graf's tax problems took a toll on Steffi, and the Capriati's actions and split destroyed Jennifer's career and her life for a while. Fortunately, she got it back. And then there's Richard Williams.....

tahiti
06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Nadal isn't the first top player whose parents have bothered his career. Peter Graf's tax problems took a toll on Steffi, and the Capriati's actions and split destroyed Jennifer's career and her life for a while. Fortunately, she got it back. And then there's Richard Williams.....

Lets not forget Djoko's parents too .....

tintin
06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
because for any child that has lived with his parents since they were young, and for someone that values tight family unit it would be a huge blow.

Rafa's parents are the ones getting the divorce not Nadal and for the record I don't know anyone whose happy about getting a divorce:rolleyes:

Nadal's parents will ALWAYS be there with him and for him
and once again I'll say this;this happens every bloody day
his parents are alive;not dead and not sick on their death beds!:rolleyes:
so quit being a drama queen

I'm sure ALL of the players share your idea of a "tight family unit" too but most don't get major press like Rafa and don't have whiners like you who is prolly crying your eyes out for him
he'll survive cuz like i said it ain't a life and death situation so stop your crying:roll:

NickC
06-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, all I can say is that after living with a Spanish-speaking family (and this is true throughout the Spanish-speaking world, and isn't limited to Spain), is that their lives revolve around the family. Family is EVERYTHING to them, and is one of the cornerstones of a stereotypical Latin (as in anyone that speaks Spanish, French, Italian, Romanian, or Portuguese) family. This kind of thing is bad enough, but in a culture that puts family over everything, this is even worse.

babbette
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Rafa's parents are the ones getting the divorce not Nadal and for the record I don't know anyone whose happy about getting a divorce

Nadal's parents will ALWAYS be there with him and for him
and once again I'll say this;this happens every bloody day
his parents are alive;not dead and not sick on their death beds!:rolleyes:
so quit being a drama queen

I'm sure ALL of the players share your idea of a "tight family unit" too but most don't get major press like Rafa and don't have whiners like you who is prolly crying your eyes out for him
he'll survive cuz like i said it ain't a life and death situation so stop your crying

Oh believe me I can't cry for a guy building a home in Ibiza and buying one in the carribean to ease his pain. :lol: but you seem bitter. What I said is what I said, there's no point in saying anything else. :wink:

babbette
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Well, at least as he doesn't read too much in English, he probably doesn't read your syrupy drivels so there's a little ease for him in this cruel world.

syrupy drivel, mmm :lol:

Raphael
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Its a real reminder that the tennis players we watch are just human beings with good things in their lives and bad things.
Everything that impacts your life outside of the sport has some kind of effect on your game too, regardless of sport.
I remember watching Agassi lose at the US Open to Clement the same week it came out in the press that his mother and sister were both battling cancer. (At the Australian open when Clement made the finals, he said in a press conference that he felt confident since he had beaten Agassi at the US Open...)
We like to think of the athletes we watch as somehow being above the daily problems that other people have, but they are just people...with all the good and bad that entails.

veroniquem
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Same here. A divorce is always traumatic, it really doesn't matter how old one is. Your parents don't stop mattering to you because you turn 18. I hope Rafa will sort out his various crisis with family and knees because tennis is less exciting without him and we need him back at the top.

maximo
06-24-2009, 11:04 AM
For some reason, i see Nadal making the final at the US Open...

babbette
06-24-2009, 11:10 AM
^^^good man.I hope you're right. :(

http://i42.tinypic.com/xdjdt.jpg

they say his parents seperated during after Wimbleon last year so I always wondered if the picture above was one of the times his parents told him.
:( That's how I look every time I have to listen to my mum or dad about their feuds. :p well minus the golden torso.

malakas
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM

yes he was pretty close,but it's not exactly like all the other spanish children since from young he has been travelling around the world and wasn't around all the time with his family.I don't say this wouldn;t affect him,but it's strange something that was already from last year known,surfaces now..

babbette
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
yes he was pretty close,but it's not exactly like all the other spanish children since from young he has been travelling around the world and wasn't around all the time with his family.I don't say this wouldn;t affect him,but it's strange something that was already from last year known,surfaces now..
like many other seperations, maybe seperation for them just meant spend some time apart see how things go. I doubt they decided let's seperate for one year and then divorce. they must've been taking time apart hoping for better but alas. The nadals and not his pr it seems told the press, not sure who did. But it was obviously something none of them must like having in the open.
I'm tired of this. They should be left in peace. Things must already be hard enough without tennis fans now poking their nose in and having supportive, criticizing or bashful opinions on something they have no idea about. (By no idea I mean no idea why his parents decided to end it, I don't mean people have no idea about divorcing parents.)

mandy01
06-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure if its still a very confirmed news...But nevertheless its sad..I dont know how much it affects him personally.I mean,he must've known it for a long time and still won 5 tourneys but personally its a big blow.
Hope it gets sorted out somehow , if indeed,the news is true.

malakas
06-24-2009, 11:26 AM
like many other seperations, maybe seperation for them just meant spend some time apart see how things go. I doubt they decided let's seperate for one year and then divorce. they must've been taking time apart hoping for better but alas. The nadals and not his pr it seems told the press, not sure who did. But it was obviously something none of them must like having in the open.
I'm tired of this. They should be left in peace. Things must already be hard enough without tennis fans now poking their nose in and having supportive, criticizing or bashful opinions on something they have no idea about. (By no idea I mean no idea why his parents decided to end it, I don't mean people have no idea about divorcing parents.)

I have heard that his father already all these years,for months was away managing Nadal,while his mother was home.So maybe that's why their marriage didn't work...Of course they should be left alone,and I'm sorry to hear such news.But I don't like either to see this used as an excuse by some here.That's why I say it.

drakulie
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
^^or perhaps their marriage didn't work because his mother is not happy about his father and uncle encouraging nadal to use roids.

all specualtion, and yet here we have this thread talking about his personal life, and the other thread (doping) about his public life gets deleted. :roll:

malakas
06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
^^or perhaps their marriage didn't work because his mother is not happy about his father and uncle encouraging nadal to use roids.

all specualtion, and yet here we have this thread talking about his personal life, and the other thread (doping) about his public life gets deleted. :roll:

lol so you say we combine the both??:mrgreen:
Yeah..but roids allegation is just smth very serious imo.But if you find these articles in the internet (I'll be looking around too) please post them.

ESP#1
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Yea it must be tough for him, i'm from a tight knit spanish family so I can only imagine.

Is this the reason for his recent performance? eh thats all speculation.

Personally I think he burned himself out, he plays too many tournaments a rarely loses early, thats alot of tennis, not to mention how physical his game is, at the same time it doesn't help when your family support is falling apart

drakulie
06-24-2009, 11:48 AM
^^^I didn't have a chance to look for them last night, but will tonight. I read one (Spanish) this weekend when a player at the club I live at was on her laptop, and showed me the article. She was waiting for me to string her racquets. Being that I read, speak, and write spanish I undertsood it. She then showed me a second one (Italy) that she translated for me, and it said pretty much the same thing.

anyway, I'll try and find/post them tonight.

sureshs
06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
^^^ You are a multilingual man

ESP#1
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
^^^I didn't have a chance to look for them last night, but will tonight. I read one (Spanish) this weekend when a player at the club I live at was on her laptop, and showed me the article. She was waiting for me to string her racquets. Being that I read, speak, and write spanish I undertsood it. She then showed me a second one (Italy) that she translated for me, and it said pretty much the same thing.

anyway, I'll try and find/post them tonight.

The riods accusations are nonsense, prolly a gossip page Spain and Italy have alot of those, they are about as trustworthy as the National Enquirer

tintin
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Oh believe me I can't cry for a guy building a home in Ibiza and buying one in the carribean to ease his pain. :lol: but you seem bitter. What I said is what I said, there's no point in saying anything else. :wink:

bitter? who me? why would I be bitter about Nadal's parent getting divorced?:confused:
like everyone else I feel empathy but like I said this happens every day;whether to Rafa or someone else
now I hope Rafa's pictures bring you some relief;peace and happiness and I hope that makes you stop crying
take a picture of him to bed with you mate;you need that to help you from whining some more ;)

malakas
06-24-2009, 12:16 PM
empathy means hatred no? :p

malakas
06-24-2009, 12:16 PM
The riods accusations are nonsense, prolly a gossip page Spain and Italy have alot of those, they are about as trustworthy as the National Enquirer

if the National Enquierer wrote about Nadal taking roids,I can assure you TW would explode as well.:p

imjimmy
06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
For some reason, i see Nadal making the final at the US Open...

From your lips to God's ears! I hope the big 4 (other than Fed) can up their level of play. Nothing against Federer, but it will be boring to see him straight setting everyone and winning 6 slams in the next 2 years. I have very high expectations from Murray (in particular) and Djokovic to a lesser extent. Also hopefully Nadal can recover and be in the top 5 at least.

endbegin
06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
I hate what this thread has spawned into. Hope the mods delete it.

skip1969
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
i find it very interesting that so many posters have shown such empathy for a man and a woman with marital problems whom they've never met before . . . and are so worried about the effect said breakup might have on the mental and emotional state of the children involved . . .

when they are incapable of showing even the slightest bit of understanding to their fellow posters on this board.

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
i find it very interesting that so many posters have shown such empathy for a man and a woman with marital problems whom they've never met before . . . and are so worried about the effect said breakup might have on the mental and emotional state of the children involved . . .

when they are incapable of showing even the slightest bit of understanding to their fellow posters on this board.

(clapping)

Nadal_Freak
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I hate what this thread has spawned into. Hope the mods delete it.
Agreed. A horrible thing like this happens to Nadal and all people have to say is things can be worse and it means nothing. Drakulie takes it a step further and starts mentioning steroids again. What a big time troll he is.

endbegin
06-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Agreed. A horrible thing like this happens to Nadal and all people have to say is things can be worse and it means nothing. Drakulie takes it a step further and starts mentioning steroids again. What a big time troll he is.

Name calling is one of the things I am referring to. Sorry N_F, but you are guilty of this too, irrespective of what is "right".
The thread was barely about tennis.

CCNM
06-25-2009, 07:46 AM
I hate to beat a dead horse but are these sources reliable? Is the story about his parents separating true? I was on Rafa's website the other day and they're trying to get all the articles on the subject deleted.

tahiti
06-25-2009, 07:55 AM
I hate to beat a dead horse but are these sources reliable? Is the story about his parents separating true? I was on Rafa's website the other day and they're trying to get all the articles on the subject deleted.

The rule on Rafa's website is that his personal life is not discussed. The links previously in this thread are reports in English newspapers with reliable sources from the Barcelona post. His parents separated last year, but they are I presume now officially filing for divorce, at least that's what a Spanish newspaper online said but the translator said "official separation" which I suppose means draw the line.

IvanYentl
06-25-2009, 08:23 AM
This sort of development is difficult for anyone. It could help explain Nadal's recent ho-hum performances.

However, the way a top-level athlete deals with such issues helps to define him in the long run. The great ones overcome setbacks, pure and simple.

Anyone remember Roger Federer's original coach, Peter Carter?

http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/sa/content/2003/s900450.htm

tahiti
06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
This sort of development is difficult for anyone. It could help explain Nadal's recent ho-hum performances.

However, the way a top-level athlete deals with such issues helps to define him in the long run. The great ones overcome setbacks, pure and simple.

Anyone remember Roger Federer's original coach, Peter Carter?

http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/sa/content/2003/s900450.htm

Yes...this was really sad and must have been tough to deal with at the time. Hopefully Rafa will come bouncing back, because at RG he certainly seemed to have lost the bounce in his step for whatever reasons.

CCNM
06-25-2009, 09:04 AM
The rule on Rafa's website is that his personal life is not discussed. The links previously in this thread are reports in English newspapers with reliable sources from the Barcelona post. His parents separated last year, but they are I presume now officially filing for divorce, at least that's what a Spanish newspaper online said but the translator said "official separation" which I suppose means draw the line.

Thanks tahiti.:)

rommil
06-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Please move this thread somewhere else. Nadal's parents are not tennis pros.

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-25-2009, 09:18 AM
It seems that all opinions have been heard on this matter, and we should probably all just agree to disagree; plus I'm sick of seeing this thread on the boards. I think anything beyond 6 pages becomes an obsession at this point.

drakulie
06-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Please move this thread somewhere else. Nadal's parents are not tennis pros.

LOL. :)

Great point.