PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Tournament For Ferrer?

Conquistador
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
This guy is due for a big tournament. Ferrer, the most intense player to ever play the game, should come out with a lot of energy this week. His world ranking is sliding more than ever. Remember this guy quit tennis to carry bricks in a wheelbarrow, and soon realized that it was not a way to make a living. You see, Ferrer capitalizes off of previous downfalls, he is the guy who gets motivated after being down for a long time. Im looking for Ferrer to come out strong and have a great tournament.

woodrow1029
06-23-2009, 01:41 PM
You wouldn't consider him making the semis of the US Open his breakout tournament?

joeri888
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Ferrer is looking to fall down in ranking rather than going up imo. He just doesn't have real weapons and needs to grind out every single point in some way or another. It seems like he has no easy way to ever win a point. that won't cost you for a season maybe two, but he just isn't good enough to be at the top for very long. Grass isn't his favourite surface either.

Conquistador
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
You wouldn't consider him making the semis of the US Open his breakout tournament?

Ferrer isnt blessed with the shotmaking abilities as others on tour, i mean this guy is the biggest grinder ever, he relies on pure heart and willpower to win matches. Lets give him credit.

woodrow1029
06-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Ferrer isnt blessed with the shotmaking abilities as others on tour, i mean this guy is the biggest grinder ever, he relies on pure heart and willpower to win matches. Lets give him credit.
I am giving him credit by saying he made the semis of the US Open. What are you talking about?

Conquistador
06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I am giving him credit by saying he made the semis of the US Open. What are you talking about?

I mean Ferrer isnt built to win multiple slams. But if theres a darkhorse of tennis history its Ferrer or Nalbandian. Ferrer has the ability to get hot and will himself to a final at any given tournament. He also has the ability to get bageled in first rounds.

Dutch-Guy
06-23-2009, 01:49 PM

And the TMC final in 07.

woodrow1029
06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
And the TMC final in 07.
Exactly. But you are asking if Wimbledon will be his breakout tournament? Wouldn't those 2 results in 2007 already have qualified as Breakout?

Dutch-Guy
06-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Exactly. But you are asking if Wimbledon will be his breakout tournament? Wouldn't those 2 results in 2007 already have qualified as Breakout?

I think the OP wasn't aware of Ferrer's past records.

woodrow1029
06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
I think the OP wasn't aware of Ferrer's past records.
Considering who the OP is, you're probably right.

Conquistador
06-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Considering who the OP is, you're probably right.

what do you mean?

tacou
06-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't see Ferrer making a move here. or ever again.

and yeah, I'd say he already had his break out tourneys in New York and Shanghai 07

Conquistador
06-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't see Ferrer making a move here. or ever again.

and yeah, I'd say he already had his break out tourneys in New York and Shanghai 07

This guy year in year out is a top 3 fittest player on tour. Its not like his breakout results are done yet. This is a guy who's fitness is almost unrivaled in tennis history when you study the game. Ferrer has the chance to stay in matches especially in 5 setters. Watch out.

AAAA
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
If he played in the 90s he'd probably have more success than now. Chang with no weapons but mucho heart and speed made a career out of running balls down until his opponents sprayed it out. Ferrer might not be as quick and possibly might not have as much heart but that's balanced out by his harder shots and better serve.

edit: Renzo Furlan and Jaime Yzaga etched out worthwhile journey-man-esque careers for themselves with one or two notable scalps between them so Ferrer likely would have aswell given the similarities.

tacou
06-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I won't argue his fitness but he's been quiet ever since the TMC final and did nothing really before 07. that was his best year by far and I don't see him topping it anytime soon.

zagor
06-23-2009, 06:29 PM
If he played in the 90s he'd probably have more success than now. Chang with no weapons but mucho heart and speed made a career out of running balls down until his opponents sprayed it out. Ferrer might not be as quick and possibly might not have as much heart but that's balanced out by his harder shots and better serve.

Chang was much mentally stronger than Ferrer,had better defense and was very adept at finishing points at the net.Chang is more a (lesser IMO)version of Hewitt than Ferrer.

grafrules
06-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Chang was much mentally stronger than Ferrer,had better defense and was very adept at finishing points at the net.Chang is more a (lesser IMO)version of Hewitt than Ferrer.

All at their best Hewitt > Chang >> Ferrer. They all played the same way though. I like Ferrer but I think he reached his career peak in 2007 and that is how it will remain. With his skill set as a player I dont think he was ever going to have a better year than that one.

zagor
06-23-2009, 06:38 PM
All at their best Hewitt > Chang >> Ferrer. They all played the same way though. I like Ferrer but I think he reached his career peak in 2007 and that is how it will remain. With his skill set as a player I dont think he was ever going to have a better year than that one.

Yeah,agree.IMO Ferrer's never gonna repeat the success he had in 2007-USO semi and TMC final.And even if Ferrer finds some of his 2007 form and makes another great run it sure ain't gonna happen on grass which is his worst surface.The OP is just being clueless as usual.

Conquistador
06-23-2009, 06:42 PM
whats this talk about chang having a bigger heart than ferrer. that is a joke. ferrer is probally the most intense player to ever play. lack of skill (ferrer) can only get you so far