PDA

View Full Version : Comparing eras made easier: Federer takes up wooden racquet

corners
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
All the GOAT talk ultimately seems to hinge on imagining matchups between the great players, past and present. While it seems impossible to imagine Laver, Gonzalez or Budge playing with ProStaffs or PureDrives strung with Lux, it's pretty easy to imagine Federer and Sampras training for a month or two with Dunlop Forts strung with gut and taking the court against those guys.

Both Federer and Sampras use variations of eastern grips on the forehand side, and while Fed would have to tone down his strokes to make consistent contact with a 65 inch string bed, he's certainly the easiest to imagine playing well with wood of all today's pros.

So comparing eras may not be that tough. I think Federer could take Laver on grass using wood, both players in their prime. Their games would end up looking pretty similar: both hitting slice and topspin off both wings, crafty serves and fantastic movement.

But even with wood Federer would have the edge in size, on serve and from the backcourt. The only clear advantage Laver would have would be at net, but Roger, I think, would volley much better when he realized he no longer had to face Lux-spun screaming passing shots. His net game has atrophied since his early twenties, but I think it would come back and improve.

I'm not speaking in absolutes: I'm not looking for a fight, but it seems like it might be fun to discuss such a hypothetical matchup. I'm not saying that Roger would kick Rod's butt, is clearly better even with a junior racquet, etc. I've been watching old films of Laver and think he was awesome, and I can easily picture Roger playing a similar game with wood. So no flames please.

How well would Roger play with wood after an adjustment period? Would Roger have the best forehand of all time with wood as well? How about Sampras? How well would his serve, so heavily spun, work with wood?

TBobLP
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
BreakPoint?

Danstevens
06-23-2009, 11:31 PM
I think that after an adjustment period, he'd be fine with a wooden racket and be able to give Laver a good matchup.

I'd also quite like to see if he could play with a grannystick and manage to keep the ball in court but yes, the Laver-Fed match with wood would be very interesting.

Cesc Fabregas
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Look how much Federer shanks with his 90 inch racquet image how much he would shank with a wooden racquet. :shock:

tacou
06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
this is a complete guess

ChanceEncounter
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Look how much Federer shanks with his 90 inch racquet image how much he would shank with a wooden racquet. :shock:
Look at the difference in pace between the 60's and today.

Leublu tennis
06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
BreakPoint?
Yes? Please state your question.

Andres
06-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Look at the difference in pace between the 60's and today.
1969 Wimbledon SF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpdPX9avs1M

The difference is MINDBLOWING!!!! :shock:

Not.

joeri888
06-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Why do people even want to compare eras.. GOAT obsession is ridiculous.

TheNatural
06-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Federer really struggled with consistency when he used a ps85. So he'd struggle even more with wood.

Sampras learned with wood as a kid so he'd make an easy seamless transition to wood. Federer not so much.

AAAA
06-24-2009, 08:23 AM
On lower bouncing courts against players with flatter techniques , in a time warp, Federer wouldn't play the modern game so he'd be fine.

NamRanger
06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
1969 Wimbledon SF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpdPX9avs1M

The difference is MINDBLOWING!!!! :shock:

Not.

There's not a huge difference when you get setup properly, but the biggest difference is that it's easier to generate spin and power while on the run.

Kostas
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
BreakPoint?

Yes? Please state your question.

Multiple personalities? :)

Cyan
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
This current era is mug era... Fed can finish this year with more slams than the rest of the ATP players have put together.... :oops: And I think this is a record. Fed 16 slams, the rest of the ATP players have a total of 15 slams :oops: Never has happend.:oops: