PDA

View Full Version : why is everyone mad at federer?

slicefox
06-23-2009, 08:30 PM
he is just trying to bring back some classic touch to wimbledon, back in the day when they used to play with wood and wore those clothes.

what's wrong about wearing a vest? he takes it off during the game...

Claudius
06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
It looks ridiculous. But what's even more ridiculous are people who are judging his character based on a poor outfit.

nfor304
06-23-2009, 08:41 PM
It looks terrible and it serves no purpose but to attract more attention to himself

Nadal_Freak
06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Those clothes should be left in the past. Not made for tennis players to wear. Shame on Nike.

Conquistador
06-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Federer stands for class. Whenever you live in a classless world like we do today, then the classless people arent going to respect him.

maverick66
06-23-2009, 08:45 PM
It looks terrible and it serves no purpose but to attract more attention to himself

this is correct. He wants us all to know that he is great.

Federer stands for class. Whenever you live in a classless world like we do today, then the classless people arent going to respect him.

thanks for calling me classless.

Magix
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Those clothes should be left in the past. Not made for tennis players to wear. Shame on Nike.
C'mon now! :) Fed's one person. Let Nike go, as they have plenty of other players who obviously prefer alternative clothing. Besides, you'll only see these clothes for a possible two weeks.

That's one way you could view it, I suppose.

Blinkism
06-23-2009, 09:13 PM
The clothes were ridiculous, sure, but that's no reason to be mad at Fed.

If he loses to Murray in the final, I'll be mad!!

VivalaVida
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM

that makes the two of us. Murray is a total muppet.

Sentinel
06-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks a lot Viva.
I've been searching for hte right word to describe Murray for a long time.
You hit the nail on the head :-D

BreakPoint
06-23-2009, 09:34 PM
If anyone wants to get mad, you should be mad at Nike, not Federer. It was Nike that designed and then gave the clothes to Federer to wear, after all.

Don't forget that Nike is paying Federer huge bucks to wear those clothes.

If someone paid you $1 million to wear Federer's outfit, everyone on this board would be wearing it. I guarantee it.

maverick66
06-23-2009, 09:35 PM
clearly nike designs it. Because you see so many people walking around with similar clothes. Its a rog design with nike logos on it.

TennisandMusic
06-23-2009, 09:35 PM
BP, if I had Federer's money, there is no way I'd wear it for an extra million. And if I WAS paid a million to wear it I'd be laughing at myself right along with everyone else, then I'd pocket the check.

But just out of curiosity, who exactly is "mad" at Federer? Not sure if I missed something here.

vndesu
06-23-2009, 09:36 PM
If anyone wants to get mad, you should be mad at Nike, not Federer. It was Nike that designed and then gave the clothes to Federer to wear, after all.

Don't forget that Nike is paying Federer huge bucks to wear those clothes.

If someone paid you $1 million to wear Federer's outfit, everyone on this board would be wearing it. I guarantee it.

true that.
this is like how ppl dont like nadal with a polo and want the pirate look back xD

montx
06-23-2009, 09:36 PM
I suppose its his choice. God gave him a brain. You like Federer for his character not his clothes, you could pick on something someone wears and make it a choice not to like them, or you could just say afforded a choice I wouldn't wear that but I like him anyway.

DjordjeRosic
06-23-2009, 09:40 PM
MontX is correct, anyway on a side note to some one elses previous comment, arent Murray and Federer in the same bracket meaning they cannot play one another in the finals.....?

-Djordje

fed_is_GOD
06-23-2009, 09:41 PM
CANT U SEE THE OBVIOUS?????

All these people..nadal freak, maverick etc etc do not like federer because their girlf friends' fantasize being in bed with federer...He is too irrestible..this naturally makes them inferior..so the hate and as for nadal he is always out on INJURY when needed i mean on bed...so no problem and risk supporting that guy...

did i sum every thing UP???

fed_is_GOD
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks a lot Viva.
I've been searching for hte right word to describe Murray for a long time.
You hit the nail on the head :-D

Count me too...I DESPISE murray..

chrisdaniel
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Federer is cool in my book. Once again I will stand by what I said when Nadal was in pink. Some of you don't know a thing about style. It's called presence.

Tennis_Bum
06-23-2009, 09:45 PM
It looks ridiculous. But what's even more ridiculous are people who are judging his character based on a poor outfit.

Fair statement. I agree he looks over the top, but when he takes off all the Halloween costume, he plays pretty good tennis for a first round. Somehow, he always work something out with Nike to look provocative, some like it others hate it. Me, I find the bag and this year outfit a little too much, the bag is old, but the Halloween costume is something else. I don't care much for it, but I can tolerate it as long as he plays good tennis.

Perhaps, the deal with Nike was too good to past up so he was okay with the Halloween costume. Who knows.

TBobLP
06-23-2009, 09:46 PM
MontX is correct, anyway on a side note to some one elses previous comment, arent Murray and Federer in the same bracket meaning they cannot play one another in the finals.....?

-Djordje

no, they are in separate halves

IvanAndreevich
06-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Fed's suit > Nadal's pink shirt.

Tennis_Bum
06-23-2009, 09:50 PM

I hate Murray for his pushing game and for his constant barking for attention at slams. Now the bark is getting louder and louder, of course, he feels justify to bark very loud at Wimbledon.

Actually, I am with Viva. I like Fed and Murray both make it to the final, but I like Fed to whip Murray's *** in straight sets just to shut him up for one day at least.

Blinkism
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I hate Murray for his pushing game and for his constant barking for attention at slams. Now the bark is getting louder and louder, of course, he feels justify to bark very loud at Wimbledon.

Actually, I am with Viva. I like Fed and Murray both make it to the final, but I like Fed to whip Murray's *** in straight sets just to shut him up for one day at least.

We should start the "I Hope Federer puts that Muppet in his place" Club... but we'd need a shorter name.

joeri888
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM

Good post!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on his clothes, and Federer probably wants people to talk about his clothes or he'd wear something normal. What he did in 2007, I liked that a lot. 2008 was so so, 2009 is just ridiculous imho. People still give Federer a lot of respect, but everyone can say that his clothes are dead ugly. His tennis is what matters to me though.

zagor
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Well his outfit is really ridiculous this year but I'm more interested in how he you know actually plays this year at Wimbledon(schocking I now).

chrisdaniel
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
O.k. my comment about some of you all not knowing anything about style is a little harsh. I take that a little back :-? You have the right to think anything you want about his wardrobe choices. But I will say that anything that gets to the top in any industry will be the target of many things, including clothing.
Thats why it's always the top most marketable players that do these sorta things. I don't know if Fed enjoys it, but I lean toward yes, he does. And that's part of being intimidating on the court.

Tennis_Bum
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
O.k. my comment about some of you all not knowing anything about style is a little harsh. I take that a little back :-? You have the right to think anything you want about his wardrobe choices. But I will say that anything that gets to the top in any industry will be the target of many things, including clothing.
Thats why it's always the top most marketable players that do these sorta things. I don't know if Fed enjoys it, but I lean toward yes, he does. And that's part of being intimidating on the court.

Well, his tennis may be intimidating, but the clothes are a bit over the top. He doesn't look intimidating by wearing the Halloween costume but when he takes to damn thing off and plays some nasty tennis, then he's intimidating.

zagor
06-23-2009, 10:13 PM

Man purse is hardly intimidating LOL,it's probably the opposite but it doesn't matter that much anyway since Fed's tennis on grass is intimidating enough if he plays well that day.

DjordjeRosic
06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
no, they are in separate halves

Oh oh, ok thanks, I always remebered that when Djoko was 3rd he would be in the same bracket as Fed in the Australian Open, and Murray (at 4th) would be in Nadals bracket. So I figured that since Murray is 3rd he would be in Feds..... oh well flawed logic I guess =/

-Djordje

TBobLP
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh oh, ok thanks, I always remebered that when Djoko was 3rd he would be in the same bracket as Fed in the Australian Open, and Murray (at 4th) would be in Nadals bracket. So I figured that since Murray is 3rd he would be in Feds..... oh well flawed logic I guess =/

-Djordje

Yea, that would only make sense but...tennis draws can be strange. I wonder if we will ever see a tournament with dynamic draws that change depending on who makes it through each round (re-seeding), like hockey.

abudhabi tennis
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
The jacket looks like a classic BELSTAFF jacket. Unfortunatley if ur American or Australian you may not appereciate the beauty of Belstaff,especially when worn by Roger Federer. Its pure Brit-Italian design, the one worn by Tom Cruise in MI1

chrisdaniel
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
no, it is not intimidating sitting on the other side of a T.V. But the heights that Federer has reached must seem unreachable to other players, kinda like Frodo thinking of the Shire when he is in the middle of an impossible task. Except the Shire is Federer, his titles, and his man purse.

DownTheLine
06-23-2009, 10:27 PM

That's there point...

Mkie7
06-23-2009, 10:29 PM
he is just trying to bring back some classic touch to wimbledon, back in the day when they used to play with wood and wore those clothes.

Love the guy... he's gotta lose the outfit though. Reminds me of a white Micheal Jackson

chrisdaniel
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
To the post above me. Kinda like Donald Trumps hair. He does not have to have it like that. But he obviously feels awesome with it and so untouchable that it just makes him even more Iconic. And it gives him / nike even more attention.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Federer is cool in my book. Once again I will stand by what I said when Nadal was in pink. Some of you don't know a thing about style. It's called presence.

I agree.

10 char

slepax
06-23-2009, 11:10 PM

As with many other things, you are what you wear, and that outfit was very cocky. Some people judged Nadal by his outfit (see below)..

Now, this is ridiculous. Surely Nike did not force Federer to wear this outfit, no one pointed a gun to his head. Nike also designed a a pink shirt, I didn't see Federer wearing one. I won't be surprised if it will turn out that Nike actually designed this outfit especially for Federer, maybe even at his own request.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Just out of interest what does he keep in that white and gold bag?

cork_screw
06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Nobody is "mad" at federer. There's just a lot of Nadal and Sampras a-holes out there.

Tennis_Bum
06-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Just out of interest what does he keep in that white and gold bag?

Tissue. JK.

roysid
06-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Nike discussed the dress with Federer. I think it's more Federer's idea than Nike.
He probably thinks that cardigan didn't work last year so let's go back to jacket with which he won twice.

I'd expected him not to wear any of these this year as he is no longer the defending champion.

Whatever he wore, was more appropriate for a costume drama, not Wimbledon. Murray scored hands down with his clothing line which was perfect for the occasion.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I am sure Roger loses a lot of sleep at night because of the people that bash him and "hate" him on this tennis forum

/end Sarcasm

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Murrays a la Fred Perry outfit effort was pretty weak compared to Rogers NIke outfit. Ok the Jacket he could have maybe done without, but the waistcoat was really classy and looked good on him.

He can wear things like this whereas they would not sit well on most other players because it would look stupid on them. Roger can get away with wearing things like this because he has the class and the personality and charisma (and yes, the achievements) to carry it off.

cueboyzn
06-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Honestly I don't know why there is such a hullabaloo over something like this. If you ask the actual people at the Centre Court stadium im sure you would find that over 80-90% of them liked the outfit. Id venture a guess its only fanatical people on this and other tennis forums that actually get so worked up about things like this. People out there in the real world watching the matches and being part of the tournament and atmosphere probably think it is a really nice throwback to the old days of the sport. This is the difference between the Internet world and the Real world.

Leublu tennis
06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
don't think so9

TennisandMusic
06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Honestly I don't know why there is such a hullabaloo over something like this. If you ask the actual people at the Centre Court stadium im sure you would find that over 80-90% of them liked the outfit. Id venture a guess its only fanatical people on this and other tennis forums that actually get so worked up about things like this. People out there in the real world watching the matches and being part of the tournament and atmosphere probably think it is a really nice throwback to the old days of the sport. This is the difference between the Internet world and the Real world.

Not to be smarmy, but people in the real world generally don't care at all about tennis, for better or worse. These kinds of outfits certainly don't help it's "wuss" image among other sports fans.

Leublu tennis
06-24-2009, 12:08 AM
I agree. Clothes like that don't belong on a tennis court.

feetofclay
06-24-2009, 12:09 AM

Which is what he loves most.

ChanceEncounter
06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I'll see your Fed's cruise ship uniform, and I'll raise you Nadal's pink shirt and yellow bandana.

Leublu tennis
06-24-2009, 12:15 AM
BP, if I had Federer's money, there is no way I'd wear it for an extra million. And if I WAS paid a million to wear it I'd be laughing at myself right along with everyone else, then I'd pocket the check.

But just out of curiosity, who exactly is "mad" at Federer? Not sure if I missed something here.Good question. The vogue seems to be to start a thread with a catchy title. Then, when you open it, you see that its a nothing subject.

joeri888
06-24-2009, 12:20 AM
As with many other things, you are what you wear, and that outfit was very cocky. Some people judged Nadal by his outfit (see below)..
people aren't what they wear, total BS, very short-sighted

tahiti
06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
If Fed's outfit has anything to do with tennis (i mean the jacket and purse) don't care about the shirt and gold....
then I'm Mickey Mouse.

AAAA
06-24-2009, 03:11 AM
This is going back years when Federer only had several Majors to his name his detractors were quite sure of themselves by using Sampras's 14 Majors as the primary and overwhelmingly important measure of GOAT status. But as Federer reeled in Major after Major these detractors suddenly stopped pushing Major count as the benchmark, some even started looking up players from the past to tout as GOAT when they never had done before.

To the present, Federer has reached the benchmark and set other impressive streaks along the way not something some of his detractors expected years ago. So as Federer's achievements can't be faulted anymore without attracting strong argument these guys are are left to go after what's left and that's the subjective non-court stuff like his dress sense, his orientation, his partner(a very low blow imo), his character.
Slim pickings.

The French Open 2009 was a major turning point, by winning it Federer took away the two trump cards detractors used against him, which were cards 'No slam record' and 'No FO'. Not anymore.

AAAA
06-24-2009, 03:17 AM
If Fed's outfit has anything to do with tennis (i mean the jacket and purse) don't care about the shirt and gold....
then I'm Mickey Mouse.

If it attracted some media publicity, if the weirdness of it all made people with no interest in tennis take notice then the whole stunt suceeded. Nike got worldwide media exposure again and tennis was noticed by those who otherwise wouldn't give it 10 seconds of their time. Taste is not necessaary for success.

Gorecki
06-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Federer is making himself look like a fool... if he likes it... kudos for him!

AAAA
06-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Federer is making himself look like a fool... if he likes it... kudos for him!

Years from now Roger might look back and cringe at himself like Andre did about his early years.

zagor
06-24-2009, 03:23 AM
This is going back years when Federer only had several Majors to his name his detractors were quite sure of themselves by using Sampras's 14 Majors as the primary and overwhelmingly important measure of GOAT status. But as Federer reeled in Major after Major these detractors suddenly stopped pushing Major count as the benchmark, some even started looking up players from the past to tout as GOAT when they never had done before.

To the present, Federer has reached the benchmark and set other impressive streaks along the way not something some of his detractors expected years ago. So as Federer's achievements can't be faulted anymore without attracting strong argument these guys are are left to go after what's left and that's the subjective non-court stuff like his dress sense, his orientation, his partner(a very low blow imo), his character.
Slim pickings.

The French Open 2009 was a major turning point, by winning it Federer took away the two trump cards detractors used against him, which were cards 'No slam record' and 'No FO'. Not anymore.

Critcizing dress sense(Fed's outfit this year is ridiculous IMO) and character is fine(although people here go overboard with it)but so many implying Federer is gay when he has a pregnant wife shows the maturity level of those posters(the saddest part is those posters are under illusion that calling someone a gay is an insult,again tells a lot about them).And yes I agree that picking so much on Mirka is a low blow,Fed and Mirka really seem like a perfect match and finding a perfect match is never easy in life.I mean if they're gonna pick on Fed that's fine,but I think people should draw the line with Mirka,just my opinion of course.

Gorecki
06-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Years from now Roger might look back and cringe at himself like Andre did about his early years.

the questions is... Andre did it while still pretty young and aged very well. Fed is getting worse while aging...

babbette
06-24-2009, 03:26 AM
I really don't give a damn about what he's wearing. I don't understand the fuss either. He only has it on for like 5 seconds as he walks to his chair. I don't know are the clothes supposed to represent something? Like supremacy?

FiveO
06-24-2009, 03:35 AM
Much ado about nothing. It should be familiar to North American sports fans. Another marketing ploy poorly veiled in the cloak of honoring tradition. Or have many here missed those "throwback" jerseys, sweaters, uniforms worn in the four major team sports here.

On that note, internationally, does futbol (soccer) do the same?

As far as this year's warm up, I don't care for it but who cares?

AAAA
06-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Critcizing dress sense(Fed's outfit this year is ridiculous IMO) and character is fine(although people here go overboard with it)but so many implying Federer is gay when he has a pregnant wife shows the maturity level of those posters(the saddest part is those posters are under illusion that calling someone a gay is an insult,again tells a lot about them).And yes I agree that picking so much on Mirka is a low blow,Fed and Mirka really seem like a perfect match and finding a perfect match is never easy in life.I mean if they're gonna pick on Fed that's fine,but I think people should draw the line with Mirka,just my opinion of course.

Zagor, I wasn't saying doing those things is something I object to, merely pointing out his detractors don't have much to bite at these days.

zagor
06-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Zagor, I wasn't saying doing those things is something I object to, merely pointing out his detractors don't have much to bite at these days.

Yes,agree with that.

Narcissist
06-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Fed just shows off in arrogance with his Wimbledon clothing.

The cardigan with giant gold buttons, 1 for each time he had won or the year before with the embroidered tennis rackets for each time he had won :roll:

It really isn’t necessary to customise every item of clothing to shove it in everyone’s faces.

King_Grass
06-24-2009, 04:26 AM

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius. ~ Fulton J. Sheen.

jetlee2k
06-24-2009, 04:32 AM

that makes the three of us.. I want to see Federer crush a pusher Murray in the final.. I don't think Murray will last until the final ..

The guy win 5 Wimbledon, 1 runner up so he is entitle to wear anything that he wants. He's deserved to flight in a private jet, to have a guy to carry his bag when come to tennis court and to have his own driver to open the door every time he come to practice.. It's not arrogant but it a shows of confidence and special status. I do the same thing every time I come to my own clubs. It's the thing that remind you to work harder b/c you earn it.. !!

Thud and blunder
06-24-2009, 04:36 AM

Could you point me to a time when they wore Milli Vanilli jackets and bankers vests at Wimbledon? Ta...

cknobman
06-24-2009, 05:37 AM
A. Federer wears what his sponsor(Nike) wants him to.

B. It dosnt look that bad.

C. He wears something (most people consider) out of the norm every year so it is no suprise.

D. Ive seen Sharapova and Serena wearing some stuff I dont consider appealing.

BreakPoint
06-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Now, this is ridiculous. Surely Nike did not force Federer to wear this outfit, no one pointed a gun to his head. Nike also designed a a pink shirt, I didn't see Federer wearing one. I won't be surprised if it will turn out that Nike actually designed this outfit especially for Federer, maybe even at his own request.
The top pros wear whatever Nike sends them because they are paid to do so. They are paid models, just like runway models are. Do you think Nadal really wanted to wear that skin-tight bright hot pink shirt?

Ben42
06-24-2009, 06:58 AM
The top pros wear whatever Nike sends them because they are paid to do so. They are paid models, just like runway models are. Do you think Nadal really wanted to wear that skin-tight bright hot pink shirt?

I don't think so. The lower level pros wear whatever Nike tells them to wear. I don't think they can force Federer, Nadal, or Serena to wear anything they don't want to.

Like it or hate it I think Fed has to own his choice on this one.

Rhino
06-24-2009, 07:00 AM

it's a lot better than a pink shirt and a florescent yellow head band.

Blade0324
06-24-2009, 07:18 AM
His outfit is very austintatious and shows just how conceited he really is. I hope someone beats Fed. like a redheaded step child during Wimby.

endbegin
06-24-2009, 07:23 AM

I believe Federer was sent different designs and worked together with Nike to arrive at he is wearing now. As far as Fed (and some other top Nike pros) is concerned, he seems to have some say in the final design.

See this article:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/06/federers-fashion-choices-raise-eyebrows-at-wimbledon.html

Relevant text from the article:

"Federer explained that he meets with Nike representatives once a year to discuss the outfit and then the company gets to work on the “long process.”
“They always have lots of good ideas and even though it didn’t look right to begin with, they got there in the end,” he said, adding that it’s important to him to respect the Wimbledon tradition of wearing white."

Serve_Ace
06-24-2009, 07:25 AM
i'm so ****ed Roger is wearing that outfit, wat

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
i woke up today and i was just SO FRIGGIN MAD at federer...today is not going to be a good day. it's like christmas backwards

certifiedjatt
06-24-2009, 07:59 AM
show me a pic of a tennis player from "those" days who came out in a blazer with his initials monogrammend in golden threads. Now, show me a player from "those" days who came out in a weird eddie bauer style jacket, with a mandarin collar, with his monogram in golden threads, with a vest on.

Now, show me their opponents with similar outfits.

People should respect tradition, but do so respectfully, not arrogantly, for the sake of standing out and almost diminishing the opponent. All his clothing does is one-up his opponent and say "I'm better than you." He should stick to demonstrating that on the court.

back in the day, everyone dressed a certain way. So no one felt like second-place because a guy was wearing long pants. things are different now.

Serve_Ace
06-24-2009, 08:01 AM
show me a pic of a tennis player from "those" days who came out in a blazer with his initials monogrammend in golden threads. Now, show me a player from "those" days who came out in a weird eddie bauer style jacket, with a mandarin collar, with his monogram in golden threads, with a vest on.

People should respect tradition, but do so respectfully, not arrogantly, for the sake of standing out and almost diminishing the opponent. All his clothing does is one-up his opponent and say "I'm better than you." He should stick to demonstrating that on the court.

back in the day, everyone dressed a certain way. So no one felt like second-place because a guy was wearing long pants. things are different now.

He dresses traditionally, the modern way

BullDogTennis
06-24-2009, 08:02 AM

id rather see federer wearing that monstrosity of an outfit, than that ugly salmon colored pink crap nadal wore.

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 08:03 AM

are you serious? he can wear whatever the hell he wants. how is wearing something like that "one-upping" his opponents? The RF is a BRAND TRADEMARK, it's not like he's just doing it to do it. He is required to wear it. it is NOT arrogant to accept money to wear something that someone else told you to wear. he is under contract to do so. and btw, he does demonstrate that he is "Better than them" on the court.

DrpShot!
06-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Gold man purse = idiot

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Gold man purse = idiot

sorry i cant hear you over the sound of Federer's 14 slams...

CCNM
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
I love the white blazer that he's worn in the past-that he needs to keep.

skip1969
06-24-2009, 08:40 AM
i just want roger to know that i'm not mad at him, and he can wear whatever he likes. hopefully, he's not mad at me, and i can wear whatever i like.

tahiti
06-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Breakpoint:

Nadal did choose that pink shirt and said that he liked it because they wear pink a lot in Spain.

You gotta be a hot guy to wear pink and carry it off. Ugly guy, no tan, no muscles and fair colouring cannot wear pink.

NamRanger
06-24-2009, 09:17 AM

So I guess Nadal with his vamos shoes and 3 Roland Garros titles on them isn't ridiculous, nor his ridiculous outfits at times.

tahiti
06-24-2009, 09:18 AM
i'm so ****ed Roger is wearing that outfit, wat

Glad to hear it. What an embarrassment. Tell your friends, watch Wimbledon, tennis great sport, athleticism needed and out comes straight jacket and gold purse. Yuck yuck yuck. Greatly disappointed in the audacity of Roger.

rommil
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear it. What an embarrassment. Tell your friends, watch Wimbledon, tennis great sport, athleticism needed and out comes straight jacket and gold purse. Yuck yuck yuck. Greatly disappointed in the audacity of Roger.

Oh yeah because that's why you watch tennis, for the clothes. And how dare he play magnificent tennis so far in this tournament. How bold and arrogant of him.........

viduka0101
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM

i liked 2007 but 2008 and 2009 were and are ridiculous and over the top
2007 was classy and it just looked nice to me

jackson vile
06-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I agree that only low lifes would pick apart someones atire.....................

rommil
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Lol they are mad now? Let's see what happens if Roger goes to the final and wins the title. I wish he would take time to put that outfit on before the awards ceremony.

tahiti
06-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh yeah because that's why you watch tennis, for the clothes. And how dare he play magnificent tennis so far in this tournament. How bold and arrogant of him.........

Exactly, I watch tennis for the tennis and not the clothes, so why a fancy wardrobe to open a tournament?

Your others comments are so pointless, no use in replying to them.

rommil
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Exactly, I watch tennis for the tennis and not the clothes, so why a fancy wardrobe to open a tournament?

Fail....Federer has played average and hour and a half the last two matches, he comes out with a jacket and outfit you see 5 to 10 minutes tops and you talk about his clothes. You dont talk about his tennis and you don't even talk about his clothes he wears when he's actually playing in. THIS says MORE about you.

And yeah, no replies needed. You are just another insecure bitter mellow dramatic *******.

kOaMaster
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
are in here a) too many gay people, is it b) too boring or is c) what he shows on the court just too perfect?

or why is everybody discussing something that federer wears BEFORE the match. I mean, that's even worse than women's tennis discussion but I'm attracted to girls, so it makes more sense to me (I say that while guessing more than 90% of the users are male).

I do in no way care what federer or any player on the tour wears beside the court. nadal could drive a pick-up ford from the 80ies and I'd still like him, blake could have an ugly fat wife - I don't care whether it looks good or not and certainly do not change my opinion concerning his tennis.

Brned
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Fail....Federer has played average and hour and a half the last two matches, he comes out with a jacket and outfit you see 5 to 10 minutes tops and you talk about his clothes. You dont talk about his tennis and you don't even talk about his clothes he wears when he's actually playing in. THIS says MORE about you.

And yeah, no replies needed. You are just another insecure bitter mellow dramatic *******.

loool

owned :)

cknobman
06-24-2009, 11:04 AM

PWNED!!!!!!

veroniquem
06-24-2009, 11:20 AM

What's wrong about wearing Bozo the clown's outfit? Er... nothing, if that's what he wants. However, do not complain when people laugh because obviously they're going to...

tahiti
06-24-2009, 11:41 AM

And you're an agressive idiot who only wins battles with insults. I went and read the first three pages of the opening lines of all your posts. I dare you to do the same and tell me what you find. Nothing but agressive, hysterical reactions. Are you are woman?

Mick
06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
everyone is mad at federer because as rod laver put it, it's not fair that one person could possess so much talent :)

vtmike
06-24-2009, 11:45 AM

BURN !

DarthFed
06-24-2009, 11:48 AM
What's wrong about wearing Bozo the clown's outfit? Er... nothing, if that's what he wants. However, do not complain when people laugh because obviously they're going to...

What did Nadal wear?...wait...he burned himself out and couldn't make it.

ESP#1
06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Is there something wrong with showing respect to the heritage of Wimbledon? I mean come on give me a break the man is paying his respects, as much as I hate golf at least golfers arent ashamed of their sports history.

Although I have to admit the golden man purse has to go

ChanceEncounter
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
And you're an agressive idiot who only wins battles with insults. I went and read the first three pages of the opening lines of all your posts. I dare you to do the same and tell me what you find. Nothing but agressive, hysterical reactions. Are you are woman?
Obvious troll is obvious.

malakas
06-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm very mad at Federer.
It's his fault because he has the game to back up this outfit,beat all oponents and exit the court as a clown-dressed winner.

maverick66
06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Is there something wrong with showing respect to the heritage of Wimbledon? I mean come on give me a break the man is paying his respects, as much as I hate golf at least golfers arent ashamed of their sports history.

i dont see it as that. He does it just to tell everyone he is above the rest of the field. Its like he is royalty and we are lucky enough to see him play. This is why i am really not a fan of his. I dont like elitist and he comes off as one.

Tennis_Bum
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
everyone is mad at federer because as rod laver put it, it's not fair that one person could possess so much talent :)

Rod actually said that? Wow, Rod likes Fed. I am sure he didn't mean it as a negative thing or being negative about Fed or jealous of him. Rod actually believes Fed still has a chance for a calendar Slam. I am not saying I believe it but he said Fed can do it.

dh003i
06-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Tennis should go back to players wearing button-up shirts on court and long pants, along with wooden rackets.

All-rounder
06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm very mad at Federer.
It's his fault because he has the game to back up this outfit,beat all oponents and exit the court as a clown-dressed winner.
That just makes the defeat more painful

Lion King
06-24-2009, 01:40 PM

I guess you'd like Fed to dress like a typical redneck, right?

No one thought Nadal's muscle shirt and pirate pants were inappropriate. I, for one, think they convey his character very well, and I can appreciate his choice. Fed's choice of clothes is his personal matter.

Emelia21
06-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Roger didn't wear his jacket/coat today out on centre court, I wonder why? :?

He wore it on Monday and got pretty bad press and today the jacket was gone :shock: but the waistcoat was around :?

malakas
06-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Roger didn't wear his jacket/coat today out on centre court, I wonder why? :?

He wore it on Monday and got pretty bad press and today the jacket was gone :shock: but the waistcoat was around :?

what matters is the bag!!!

Emelia21
06-24-2009, 02:01 PM
what matters is the bag!!!

I forgot about the bag, was Mirka in it? she wasn't in the players box :shock:
:cry:

malakas
06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
[/B]

I forgot about the bag, was Mirka in it? she wasn't in the players box :shock:
:cry:

mirka is sick.She must be close to labour I suppose.:? Imagine if she gives birth DURING wimby!!:neutral:

Emelia21
06-24-2009, 02:08 PM
mirka is sick.She must be close to labour I suppose.:? Imagine if she gives birth DURING wimby!!:neutral:

What with? :shock:

malakas
06-24-2009, 02:10 PM
What with? :shock:

Fed said in his interview she was feeling a bit sick,not much just not 100%.So they felt it wasn't good idea for her to sit hours in the sun.I suppose we won't be seeing her much in this tournament.

Cross Court
06-24-2009, 02:11 PM

I agree. Like that pink polo they made Nadal wear...disgusting.

Emelia21
06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Fed said in his interview she was feeling a bit sick,not much just not 100%.So they felt it wasn't good idea for her to sit hours in the sun.I suppose we won't be seeing her much in this tournament.

Thankyou, makes sense, I hope she and baby are ok :)

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 02:16 PM
What if Mirka is going into labour while Fed is playing the final? What will he do? Default?

certifiedjatt
06-24-2009, 02:16 PM
are you serious? he can wear whatever the hell he wants. how is wearing something like that "one-upping" his opponents? The RF is a BRAND TRADEMARK, it's not like he's just doing it to do it. He is required to wear it. it is NOT arrogant to accept money to wear something that someone else told you to wear. he is under contract to do so. and btw, he does demonstrate that he is "Better than them" on the court.

of course he can wear whatever the hell he wants. and thanks for the business lesson. i didn't know that's how branding worked.
and i know he does demonstrate that he is better than them on court; which is why i said he should STICK to doing it. stop reading at a 4th grade level.

certifiedjatt
06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
So I guess Nadal with his vamos shoes and 3 Roland Garros titles on them isn't ridiculous, nor his ridiculous outfits at times.

where did nadal come from?

Emelia21
06-24-2009, 02:23 PM
What if Mirka is going into labour while Fed is playing the final? What will he do? Default?

No he's already said he would play the final :shock: he cannot let people/fans down :shock: He said he would prefer to be with Mirka, but couldn't let his fans down :shock: Mirka and Baby wait :cry:

slice bh compliment
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Although I have to admit the golden man purse has to go

Truth. The manpurse is just so weak.

I liked the cable-knit vest from a few yrs ago, and even the blazer. Nike was making up for the 80 years they were not in the tennis apparel business. Good on them. But this little suit vest and the stylish jacket? Not retro tennis at all. Contrived. Yes, I'm one of the people the OP probably had in mind.

Murray's Fred Perry stuff is great. I'm not that old and I had that same outfit. So did my dad. And his dad. That actually IS retro/classic.

I bet if Roddick or Gasquet or Dulko or whoever else wears Lacoste merited it, Lacoste would produce some authentic-yet-performance-oriented retro/throwback stuff, and they would do it right.

As much as I do not like Nike...we ARE talking about them.

Well, anyway, Allez Roger! I ain' mad atcha. Just, please put down the manpurse. Walk away from it. Give it to your mom....or one of her friends (age and gender appropriate).

malakas
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
No he's already said he would play the final :shock: he cannot let people/fans down :shock: He said he would prefer to be with Mirka, but couldn't let his fans down :shock: Mirka and Baby wait :cry:

let's hope he's not SOOO unlucky.Anyway,a lot of dads,had to be at work/duty when their babies were born it's not so uncommon.

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 02:31 PM
What a sense of priorities the Fed-man has, Fans > Mirka & Baby!!! :confused::confused:

malakas
06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
What a sense of priorities the Fed-man has, Fans > Mirka & Baby!!! :confused::confused:

who are you to judge sense of other people??You hate Fed and yet you choose FedFan as your screename!

Emelia21
06-24-2009, 02:35 PM
let's hope he's not SOOO unlucky.Anyway,a lot of dads,had to be at work/duty when their babies were born it's not so uncommon.

Yes most Dads are away in another country and cannot be around for the birth, a real Dad in the same country would much be with his wife or partner when in need, to be a real husband and father :cry: What if something happen to Mirka or the baby and he was posing in his suit on centre court :shock: :shock:

Mick
06-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Rod actually said that? Wow, Rod likes Fed. I am sure he didn't mean it as a negative thing or being negative about Fed or jealous of him. Rod actually believes Fed still has a chance for a calendar Slam. I am not saying I believe it but he said Fed can do it.

these are Laver's exact words:

"Roger's got too many shots, too much talent in one body. It's hardly fair that one person can do all this - his backhands, his forehands, volleys, serving, his court position - the way he moves around the court, you feel like he's barely touching the ground. That's the sign of a great champion,"

-- Rod Laver

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/federer-the-best-thinks-rod-laver/32146-5-single.html

slice bh compliment
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
...Mirka & Baby!!! :confused::confused:

[/b]...be with his wife or partner when in need, to be a real husband and father

I've got it. The manpurse will make the perfect diaper bag! Perfect!

[quote=Mick;3599521]these are Laver's exact words:

"Roger's got too many shots, too much talent in one body. It's hardly fair that one person can do all this - his backhands, his forehands, volleys, serving, his court position - the way he moves around the court, you feel like he's barely touching the ground. That's the sign of a great champion,"

-- Rod Laver

...]

Man, Rodney George Laver is class all the way. Always has been.

zagor
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I've got it. The manpurse will make the perfect diaper bag! Perfect!

[quote=Mick;3599521]these are Laver's exact words:

-- Rod Laver

...]

Man, Rodney George Laver is class all the way. Always has been.

Sorry but is obvious that Rod(whoever the heck that guy is)doesn't have a first clue about tennis.I've learned from great tennis minds here that Fed is a mental midget of average talent who was just lucky to play clowns and bums to win his slam titles.Too much talent in one body my ***.Too much luck in one body? Definitely.

Maybe that Rod character should visit TW sometimes to educate himself a little about our great sport so he doesn't spew such nonsense next time.

Turning Pro
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Because he's great when he wins and ARROGANT when he loses or line calls go against him. (Look at Wimby 07, 4th Set and a line call, was nearly crying, AO 09 was indeed crying).

He can't be considered the best when he isn't even the best in his own era, getting dominated 5-2 in slam finals and hasn't defeated him main rival in slams since 07 (which was lucky in itself with his rivals getting injured during the match). Laver had 2 grand slams and Sampras had 7 Wimby's and also actually DOMINATED his main rival.

Rhino
06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Because he's great when he wins and ARROGANT when he loses or line calls go against him. (Look at Wimby 07, 4th Set and a line call, was nearly crying, AO 09 was indeed crying).

He can't be considered the best when he isn't even the best in his own era, getting dominated 5-2 in slam finals and hasn't defeated him main rival in slams since 07 (which was lucky in itself with his rivals getting injured during the match). Laver had 2 grand slams and Sampras had 7 Wimby's and also actually DOMINATED his main rival.

If Federer's talent was less, and he never made any Roland Garros finals (like Sampras)... and Nadals talent was more and he actually made some US Open finals (like Borg).... then what would their slam head to head be?

I think we all know that the head-2-head is not representative of even surface distribution.

zagor
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Who's talking about Fed being the best? All I said was that I think Rod should visit this forum so he can receive a proper tennis education from keyboard tennis experts here.

GameSampras
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
these are Laver's exact words:

-- Rod Laver

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/federer-the-best-thinks-rod-laver/32146-5-single.html

Laver is prolly the most humble of any past legend. I mean hell he has called Sampras and Mac the greatest as well. Laver thinks everyone is better than he was. LOL

zagor
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Laver is prolly the most humble of any past legend. I mean hell he has called Sampras and Mac the greatest as well. Laver thinks everyone is better than he was. LOL

No he doesn't,try reading some of his latest interviews.

GameSampras
06-24-2009, 03:43 PM
No he doesn't,try reading some of his latest interviews.

Laver has called Mac the greatest, Sampras the greatest, Fed the greatest. So who knows who Laver thinks the greatest is.

Hes just a good guy all around obviously and isnt going to take any cheap shots at the greats who came after him. Whether he is just being truthful or politically correct and not ruffle any feathers

AAAA
06-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Let's see:

Federer can't dominate his highest ranked rival
BUT
has the ability to bring his A game to slams often enough to set amazing slam streaks and thus win 14 majors(plus career slam) at age 27 and 10 months

contrast to

Sampras can dominate his highest ranked rival
BUT
lacked the ability to bring his A game as often to slams compared to Federer so thus winning 11 majors and no Roland Garros at 27 and 10 months

so:

14 inc. FO + career slam > and 11 slams (no FO no career slam)

Verdict: Pete's flaw(lack of ability to bring A game) cost him more than Federer's flaw(losing to Nadal)

Winner: Federer over Sampras

zagor
06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Laver has called Mac the greatest, Sampras the greatest, Fed the greatest. So who knows who Laver thinks the greatest is.

Hes just a good guy all around obviously and isnt going to take any cheap shots at the greats who came after him. Whether he is just being truthful or politically correct and not ruffle any feathers

Laver's a true gentleman and a classy guy,no doubt.But as much as he respects Fed and Pete he also said that in his prime he'd pit himself against ANYONE.Laver's a great champion as well and very confident in his abilities,don't forget that.

I also don't think he's being politically correct,IMO he truly admired Sampras game back then as he admires Fed's game now.

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-24-2009, 04:33 PM

...but it is telling when one considers the few he's called the greatest...and other, fan-celebrated players he does not see in that way...

Sentinel
06-25-2009, 02:45 AM
I dunno 'bout others, but i am made at Feder cos he should of had a dozen kids by now 'stead of slam titles.

wilsonplayer
06-25-2009, 06:35 AM
While I understand the argument that his clothes look ridiculous, aged, and completely outdated, I don't understand the diagnosis that this makes him more arrogant than people have already delineated him to be. Even if he makes the final say in what he wears, so what? If he wants to try and instill some of the older looking clothes back into the modern game who are any of us to say that he is arrogant, pretentious, self-serving, or otherwise ill-disposed based on his color coordination and an ancillary vest? While I choose not to defend his apparel, I will defend Fed on the notion that his attire shouldn't incur any sort of disdain towards Fed's character.

orangettecoleman
06-25-2009, 06:38 AM
the sillier these people dress, the happier i am. is it better to just walk on court wearing a 2XL white polo shirt every time?

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 06:40 AM
the sillier these people dress, the happier i am. is it better to just walk on court wearing a 2XL white polo shirt every time?

Blake resents that remark!

tahiti
06-25-2009, 08:00 AM
While I understand the argument that his clothes look ridiculous, aged, and completely outdated, I don't understand the diagnosis that this makes him more arrogant than people have already delineated him to be. Even if he makes the final say in what he wears, so what? If he wants to try and instill some of the older looking clothes back into the modern game who are any of us to say that he is arrogant, pretentious, self-serving, or otherwise ill-disposed based on his color coordination and an ancillary vest? While I choose not to defend his apparel, I will defend Fed on the notion that his attire shouldn't incur any sort of disdain towards Fed's character.

It's true what you say but clothes do say a lot about the person.:) he didn't look very down to earth to me, though he says he is :confused:

mandy01
06-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Its amazing how Roger's liking for the tradition and his wanting to be a little more traditional can be seen as.But these are Nadal fans we're talking about.They've proven their narrow-mindedness on several occasions.

BorisBeckerFan
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM

Not everyone who goes around wearing affliction or tapout clothing is a tough guy. Not everyone who prances around silly clothes and gold and white bags is a flamer. Just because your dressed in all black, wear black make up, paint your nails black, die your hair black, etc does not mean you're emo.
Just because you dress like a ******bag doesn't mean you are one. Clothes does not make the man. In some cases clothing may reveal something about ones charachter but not in every case. If you see someone wearing black mask and bulletproof vest heading into a bank then you definitely can't judge this person based on his outfit. If you see someone wearing kkk hood then you know there up to some good. If you see a lady dressed in the typical hooker uniform out and about it doesn't mean she is one. What does the outfit say about someone's character? Maybe alot, maybe nothing at all. Guess what I'm trying to get at is while I agree to varying degrees with peoples character can't be judged by their outfit, one can't deny that certain types of people are known for wearing certain types of attire.

rommil
06-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Good Lord, are we still at this? So Roger's outfit "looks" ridiculous, he's "arrogant" he's "selfish" blah blah blah blah blah Federer. So is this a good time to remind these "mad people" who we are talking about? Please don't expect him to dress like you, don't expect him to say something that came out of your mind, don't expect him like anything you would. Surely we have our opinions about what he wears , what he says(which I doubt he 'd really care). He is going to go on and accomplish more in the tennis world for a little bit longer and satisfaction will be his. Where does that leave you? Mad.

slice bh compliment
06-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Good Lord, are we still at this? So Roger's outfit "looks" ridiculous, he's "arrogant" he's "selfish" blah blah blah blah blah ...

Nah man, he's not selfish or arrogant. He's just saying 'yes' to the yes-men at Nike. Nobody's mad at Federer. Just maybe a little disappointed.

Or maybe we're just not quite hip enough to appreciate his ''fashion sense''. I put myself in this group, since I do not believe in ''fashion sense'' for men. On things sartorial, most of us men really only believe in comfort, function, simplicity, elegance, and durability. In that order.

rommil
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Nah man, he's not selfish or arrogant. He's just saying 'yes' to the yes-men at Nike. Nobody's mad at Federer. Just maybe a little disappointed.

Or maybe we're just not quite hip enough to appreciate his ''fashion sense''. I put myself in this group, since I do not believe in ''fashion sense'' for men. On things sartorial, most of us men really only believe in comfort, function, simplicity, elegance, and durability. In that order.

That's why I put them quotation marks on them, the branding that Federer gets. Mad or disappointed, bottom line is that he has different tastes and standards. Federer is not most men, he has a clothing company that can make clothes to his specifications and he doesn't have to worry as much about the criterias you listed. Plus he gets paid a boatload of money wearing them.

ESP#1
06-25-2009, 10:19 AM
i dont see it as that. He does it just to tell everyone he is above the rest of the field. Its like he is royalty and we are lucky enough to see him play. This is why i am really not a fan of his. I dont like elitist and he comes off as one.

I guess I can see where his outfit along with the man purse would come off as pretentious, but I really just think he's trying to come off as elegant. Maybe he does come off sometimes with a scent of entitlement but if your a fan of tennis you have to respect his game.

Nadal_Freak
06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Maybe he does come off sometimes with a scent of entitlement
Exactly how I feel about the dress.

Dgpsx7
06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
I think it is great that he wears those clothes because they appeal to the older crowd. It makes the older crowd happy and lets them reminisce of how the game was played in the past. Just because a couple teenagers don't like it, it doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Please choose your battles people cause this is getting pretty dumb.

T. H. Park
06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Not my style either. I did like more his outfit last year, however. I guess he's trying to be a fashion-type of a tennis player. Again, not the most important thing in tennis I think but to each his/her own. Like the overly pink shirt by Rafa wasn't too exciting either. But again, who really cares as long as they win. If they start losing, then that's a different story - spending too much time on wardrobe strategies rather than tennis strategies.

slice bh compliment
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
That's why I put them quotation marks on them, the branding that Federer gets. Mad or disappointed, bottom line is that he has different tastes and standards. Federer is not most men, he has a clothing company that can make clothes to his specifications and he doesn't have to worry as much about the criterias you listed. Plus he gets paid a boatload of money wearing them.

Agreed. He is a sellout. With tastes that are way above most of us mortal men.