PDA

View Full Version : I had oatmeal for breakfast this morning.

Deuce
04-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Inkeeping with the growing number of posts in this section which are completely unrelated to tennis, I simply wish to inform everyone that I had oatmeal for breakfast this morning.

Thanks.

strife726
04-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Youre welcome :)

Benjamin
04-07-2004, 04:05 AM
That's fantastic Deuce!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o

But if you're going to do this right, you MUST ask what flavor of oatmeal you should eat BEFORE you post about having actually eaten the oatmeal. Come on man, get with the program!!!

BTW: Eating oatmeal for breakfast, cutting out sweet tea/soft drinks, and running every other day has helped me lose 36 pounds since December 1st. Great way to start the day.

Benjamin

Verbal_Kint
04-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Deuce, isn't that why it's called odds & ends?

Marnix

@wright
04-07-2004, 06:31 AM
I like Oatmeal stouts. A couple great examples are Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Young's Oatmeal Stout. I've never really been an oatmeal eater, but I used to eat cream of wheat once in awhile for breakfast, and it was pretty tasty.

spam
04-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Only 2 things are infinite-Deuce's pseudo -intellectual platitudes and my sore achillies!

only joking mate!

Joe Average
04-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Me too. McCann's Quick Cooking. I've eaten Old Wessex and Quaker, but I always return to McCann's: a creamier texture.

Frodo Baggins
04-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Deuce:Thats cute very cute. :D This little Hobbit Don't eat breakfast ever.... Just give me a coke or Jolt An I'm a happy Hobbit... 8)

Rabbit
04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Benjamin - how many different oatmeals did you sample before deciding on the Stouts? 8)

@wright
04-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Rabbit, I think you are confusing my post with Benjamin's...

Benjamin
04-07-2004, 11:07 AM
@wright is correct...you are confused.

I have always been a Quaker Oats instant oatmeal man (even when I was a boy). I currently mix 1 packet of regular flavor with 1 packet of the flavored variety.

Benjamin

topspin
04-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Oatmeal sure is yummy, try adding some maply syrup into it. Of course a stack full of pancakes along with eggs and bacon works too:)

Morpheus
04-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Topspin: do you tap your own maple syrup? You're a bit north of me and we've got forests full of the stuff! Fresh maple is the only way to go.

Rabbit
04-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Well, my eyes musta gotten crossed. I stand corrected. So, Benjamin how many cereals did you go through before you settled on Quaker Oats? 8)

cantaloupe
04-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Deuce:Thats cute very cute. :D This little Hobbit Don't eat breakfast ever.... Just give me a coke or Jolt An I'm a happy Hobbit... 8)

OMG Jolt fore breakfast?!?!?!?! maybe thats why all u hobbits are so messed up j/k.

Funny u mentioned coke, at the tour de france some of the athletes were drinking CokeCola (...while riding on the bike!!!!), should bode well for the stomach :wink:

topspin
04-07-2004, 08:30 PM
lol Morpheus, funny you should say that. A few years ago, my next door neighbor did tap his tree and was getting sap. Too bad kids tipped the bucket over, darn teenagers, lol. Where are you at?

Deuce
04-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Marnix - my understanding is that the 'Odds & Ends' section should pertain to tennis. The 'description' of the forum is "Discuss topics that don't fit anywhere else". This, also, suggests that this forum is meant for tennis-related content which doesn't fit into the parameters of any other forum.

It seems inherently clear to me that a message board entitled ‘Talk Tennis’ is meant for discussion on topics which relate to tennis. Imagine for a moment if, on a Led Zep message board, or a Palm Pilot message board, someone put up a post which asked “Which racquet do you think is best – the Tour 90, or the LM Prestige?” I believe it's safe to assume that such a poster would be laughed right off of those boards.

I mean, it's not of earth shattering importance, but, since the implementation of the new board format, I've noticed a decided increase in the number of posts which are completely unrelated to tennis.

This isn't worth a post of its own - but since I'm already in the 'compose' box... Ben - instant oatmeal isn't real oatmeal. The pure, natural, unsweetened stuff is the only real - and healthy - oatmeal.

Phil
04-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Actually, Deuce, instant oatmeal IS "real" insomuch as it contains mostly...oatmeal. However, it also contains more suger and fat/ calories than slow-cooking oatmeal, and slightly less fiber. Instant is also healthy, but not as healthy as your slow-cooking oatmeal. Just a slight correction from another oatmeal eater.

Verbal_Kint
04-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Deuce, IMO we have a nice community here. We get together based on our collective interest in tennis, bu some of us get a little more from here than just tennis info. For me, it is a view into the US as well.

By the way, I think when you ask: how much lead tape should I put on a ti. radical strung at 25 kilos with lux bb ace? would be laughed away at a palm-forum. However, Anybody play tennis? probably wouldn't.

It seems at least some of the members like to talk about other stuff than just tennis. I don't see a problem with that. In fact, it's something that happens in a lot of online communities. Just like you could end up going to the pub with your tennis mates, or even marrying one of them. :) Things just cross over..

Marnix

Morpheus
04-08-2004, 03:50 AM
Over the border (assuming you don't mind getting strip searched), then south to Burlinton, VT. Loads of syrup oozing out of the trees, especially over in Plattsburgh...

Benjamin
04-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Deuce,

Instant Oatmeal isn't oatmeal??? :shock: So I guess 2% milk isn't even milk? Fat free food really isn't food? Low fat yogurt really isn't yogurt???

I wish I would have known that it wasn't real oatmeal. I'm sure I've lost these 36 pounds and have had my resting heart rate go from 66 to 52 in four months ONLY because I thought instant oatmeal was real oatmeal. That instant oatmeal is so unhealthy isn't it!?!?

"Imagine for a moment" a person on a Led Zeppelin board being ridiculed for asking someones opinion on a Led Zeppelin album? I think that would seem a little strange but here on the Tennis boards we have people criticizes other people because they ask opinions on different racquets. "What good would my opinion do you. We have different games. I can be of no use to you by giving you my opinion. Heck, I don't even think we should be nice to you anymore." yadda, yadda, yadda

I would "imagine" that if someone on the LZ or Palm board knew something about the racquet I was asking about (on their board) that they would be glad to respond.

"I've noticed a decided increase in the number of posts which are completely unrelated to tennis." LIKE THE ONE YOU STARTED HERE?!?

Benjamin

topspin
04-08-2004, 08:47 AM
hey Morpheus, yeah you're in maple syrup land for sure. Quebec and Vermont have to be the best places for the oozy stuff. I've been to Plattsburgh a few times. The beach there used to be really popular. You're not far at all. Ever come up to Mtl for tennis event?

Rabbit
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Benjamin- to put it in terms we can understand, are instant grits truly grits? :shock:

I love oatmeal. Phil is right, the instant is not as good for you as the regular, but, you can take some Metamucil prior to breakfast and that helps even things up (pardon the pun).

I personally love the cinnamon and raisin instant, and regular slow cooked full of fiber regular oatmeal. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

Hell, if this many tennis players like oatmeal, maybe it does pertain to tennis!

Phil
04-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Verbal Kint wrote:

...we have a nice community here. We get together based on our collective interest in tennis, bu some of us get a little more from here than just tennis info. For me, it is a view into the US as well.
Marnix

Not sure how Led Zeppelin albums and Palm Pilots (and oatmeal) can provide you with much of a window into the US, but to each his own. If you want a BROADER insight into the US there are many, many places on the Web where you can go, e.g. ald.com (Arts & Letters Daily). But if you're only interested in easily-readable, shallow bits and snatches on the US then maybe you've come to the right place.

Verbal_Kint
04-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Do you really think I do nothing but surf these forums and that I make up all my opinions about the US from what I gather here? I was talking about the broadness of the subject in general, just like Deuce was in his first post. It's something I like, I don't think everything has to be about tennis. I think it's great that someone starts a discussion to raise a point and then it turns out we can even talk about oatmeal..

Marnix

@wright
04-09-2004, 07:23 AM
I agree with Marnix. What's the point of being anal about thread subjects? If you don't want to post on an off-topic thread, don't. No one is holding a gun to your head making you read the off topic posts. Some of the posts I've enjoyed most have barely had anything to do with tennis.

Frodo Baggins
04-09-2004, 01:31 PM
On Sec thought:I would eat breakfast if you gave me a Jolt an some Cantaloupe. Yum,yum, :wink: hint hint ... (Gotta have my Jolt An Cantaloupe.. 8)

Phil
04-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Do you really think I do nothing but surf these forums and that I make up all my opinions about the US from what I gather here? I was talking about the broadness of the subject in general, just like Deuce was in his first post. It's something I like, I don't think everything has to be about tennis. I think it's great that someone starts a discussion to raise a point and then it turns out we can even talk about oatmeal..

Marnix

I don't really think about it at all, but since you ask, I don't know...do you? Fact is, this IS a tennis forum. That doesn't have to be so rigid, but at what point do posts/topics become completely irrelevant to this board? There are other places for you to go to get your US news, and you don't have to spend all your time surfing the Internet to do so. If you're getting your non-tennis information from this board, then you're certainly behind the knowledge curve. Good for you, if that's what you want.

edge
04-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Marnix, I like your post, keep it coming about anything and everything you want to discuss. It's good to have non-Americans on this board, opening up the perspective of the discussions.

Camilio Pascual
04-12-2004, 03:43 AM
I like hearing what tennis posters think about non-tennis related subjects. This is a good place to do it. I know more about you guys than some kook partisan rancotuer (sp) on a political site. Those guys are nuts.

Feņa14
04-12-2004, 09:01 AM
I love oatmeal and in England we certainly need it in the cold winter!!! the cinnamon and raison mix sounds great but I haven't seen it in England :( . I like Ready Brek do you get that in America?.

I suppose canadian's have maple syrup and the Brits have cheddar cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmmm luvlay.

Happy eating :D

Liam

Verbal_Kint
04-13-2004, 04:06 AM
I don't really think about it at all, but since you ask, I don't know...do you? Fact is, this IS a tennis forum. That doesn't have to be so rigid, but at what point do posts/topics become completely irrelevant to this board? There are other places for you to go to get your US news, and you don't have to spend all your time surfing the Internet to do so. If you're getting your non-tennis information from this board, then you're certainly behind the knowledge curve. Good for you, if that's what you want.

Posts/topics become completely irrelevant when the visitors decide they are, which is when no more replies will be posted. IMHO.

I agree with Camilio that I know more about the people that post here than I do about the people that post on political sites. I think the last category has more of an agenda usually.

I do get my news from other places than this board, and other places than the internet as well.

Marnix

Cypo
04-14-2004, 11:49 PM
I wonder how far any of us can think before it gets related back to tennis... Oatmeal is recommended before a match no ? There are match tracking programs for Palm pilots or ? and many listen to music before playing....

Phil, you'd be surprised how very American this board is. (one of the things I like about it, it helps my homesickness :cry: ) . I think most Americans, not speaking other languages and not traveling to other countries, have no way to appreciate just how different other cultures are - even closely related western ones.

The irony here is that this thread is typically American - or Marnix ? Would a discussion of which topics should be allowed happen on a Dutch board as well ? It wouldn't on an Austrian one.

Even your comments, Phil, to Marnix are typically American - you direct your arguments at the person and not at the concept.
That was one of the things that struck me the most coming here. An argument is over if comments like "But if you're only interested in easily-readable, shallow bits and snatches on the US then maybe you've come to the right place." The point may be arguable, but the personal attack would negate it; there would be a long silence and possible the argument would die there.

Deuce, um, "A car going from A to B"......Schumacher....Maybe you wanted to point out that you find the posts in odds and ends boring ? :wink:

PHSTennis
04-15-2004, 10:20 AM
I dont know but I had cereal for breakfast :)

cheezecake
04-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I had peanut butter and jelly for breakfast.

Phil
04-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Cypo wrote:

Even your comments, Phil, to Marnix are typically American - you direct your arguments at the person and not at the concept.
That was one of the things that struck me the most coming here. An argument is over if comments like "But if you're only interested in easily-readable, shallow bits and snatches on the US then maybe you've come to the right place." The point may be arguable, but the personal attack would negate it; there would be a long silence and possible the argument would die there.

Cypo - Well, aren't we the sophisticated continental.

I get the feeling that you-from your rareified perspective in C. Europe, having come from one culture and now fully assimilated in another-are taking a dig at me for being "Typically American". That would mean arrogant, fat, loud, obnoxious, self-rightous, cowboy hat-wearing, belligerent, war mongering, civilian-killing, meat-eating, holly roller, and a couple dozen other adjectives of negative conotation, right? Well, I for one AM NOT FAT and I got rid of my cowboy hat (which was actually an Australian "Akubra" and a gift).

Don't confuse the stereotypes and virulent anti-Americanism coming from your adopted part of the world with reality. I would suggest that you should try not to forget, EVER, where you came from. After all, you can eat a ton of croissants and drink many LITERS of fine Vienna coffee, but in the end, you and I come from the same STATE! Sorry if this is a painful reminder for you.

Secondly, my comment to Marnix wasn't really meant as a "personal attack"; there are people who prefer reading shallow gossip-type material-in fact, that's what most "literate" people read; hell, I like reading that stuff, but don't necessarily prefer it to other material out there.

And finally, you may be quite surprised at how non-typical an American I am, but that's for another time and another place.

Signed - Still American (even after living abroad for 8 years and having visited a few dozen countries)

@wright
04-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Who you callin a holly roller? Why I oughta!

Cypo
04-15-2004, 11:21 PM
I didn't mean to remove myself from the category of American. If anything, living overseas has taught me just how American I am. Nor is the AFLOS-RCH-WBWMCKM-EHR what I had in mind as typically American. What I see as typically American (which means in contrast to Austrian) is what Duce and @wright have in common (obviously not politics or social views). They are more similar to each other than either would be to an Austrian - but I can't pin point how. It, however, is what I get homesick for.

Unfortunately when I post, it's often off the top of my head ( I'm supposed to be working :shock: ) and I could have chosen other examples (like people apologizing and a genuine concern for others, throwing in the odd non-sequitur) which are also typically American. Sometimes a love of irony gets the better of me - Forgive me.

Phil
04-15-2004, 11:42 PM
Cypo - No need for an apology-not to me at least.

I'm sure Deuce and @wright would HIGHLY appreciate knowing that they are actually quite similar to each other in personality and temperment!

I've only known one Austrian, and his claim to fame, besides getting drunk quite often, was playing spoons on his thighs. He was okay, but I have no feel for the differences between Austrians and other nationalities. Irony is a good thing, but I live in a country where the concept is unknown. Slowly, the natives in my office are learning. Slowly but surely...

@wright
04-16-2004, 05:34 AM
Phil and Cypo, thanks for the insult! Would you like to kick my dog too?

chad shaver
04-16-2004, 05:43 AM
Can we kick you, instead? :)

Verbal_Kint
04-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Cypo,

I'm a big advocate of having a nonsense section on a forum. Most Dutch forums I visit have one, but some don't. Phil, I don't think you were trying to insult me, I just think you were a little quick in your judgment.

Marnix

Phil
04-18-2004, 05:42 PM
All well and good, Marnix, but...this isn't a Dutch forum, is it? Anyway, this section-Odds and Ends-has, de facto, basically become your nonsense section.

Verbal_Kint
04-19-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm not saying this has to be a Dutch forum. I'm not saying it has to have a nonsense section. I just responded to a question cypo asked me.

Marnix

Phil
04-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Okay, okay, take it easy, big guy.

Verbal_Kint
04-20-2004, 01:36 AM
I am.. ;)

Ronaldo
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Had hot cereal nearly every morning until marriage ended the ritual. So how do you flavor the cereal, with cream, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and real butter. And how do you like your grits? With red-eye gravy? Or have you tried Cream of Rice? Or even Wheatena? But the best hot cereal for a tennis player must be hot Grape Nuts. Learned to eat this before every match. Tennis and hot cereal, what a match.

Phil
04-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Ronaldo - Marriage ends MANY things, but why did it end your eating of hot cereal? You say it like it was a given, expected.

chad shaver
04-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Marriage is the leading cause of divorce....

Phil
04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Chad - So sad but true...