PDA

View Full Version : Going to the next level

in[k]
06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Hello everyone. I am looking to go to the 'next level' with my tennis, but I don't know where to begin.

I started playing tennis last year, and I am going into my sophomore year in HS. I am going to be moved up to varsity tennis this upcoming season, and I think it is time to start thinking about getting a coach or taking advanced level lessons.

I play 6 times a week (family/friends who are on the team) and I am willing to put whatever effort is needed.

Please post any suggestions/tips that I could use to try and advance my game. Should I look for a trainer or just work on my game myself?

Long first post, I know :P Thanks for any help!

TennisCoachFLA
06-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Tell us your current game status...strengths and weaknesses and style. What sort of financial and time commitment are you able/willing to make? Body type (thin, heavier, tall, long legs, shorter appendages all play into the best training and style for you long term), your current size, parent's size so we can estimate where you may end up. Also your actual long term goals, what do you consider the next level?

With more info. some posters can give you an outline of what to do next.

in[k]
06-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the post :)

Strengths: Volleys [best on my HS team], baseline forehand, 1hbh slice, 1 serve.

Weaknesses: Baseline 2hbh, 2 serve [too inconsistent w/ power].

Financial: Not too much money, but a decent amount. I have no idea what ballpark price a trainer would be, so I would say average (?).

Size: Tall, 140lbs, athletic (I used to do cross-country).

Parent's Size: Both parents are my current height, mom average weight dad a little overweight.

Goals: College level tennis (almost any college would be fine), a sponsorship in maybe 3-4 years. Also, I would like to be able to win a lot of the local tourneys.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am currently a doubles player. I would be fine switching to singles though.

in[k]
06-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm also probably just about a 4.0 player.

TennisCoachFLA
06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Great information. What is the experience of your high school coach? Does he/she have contacts in the local tennis community? If so, the best starting point is to have a solid coach observe you and draw up a plan to work on your weaknesses.

Attack this from all angles....tennis, working out, and nutrition. You have the aerobics down...cross country background. Now you need to get stronger and more explosive. Lift with the skill position football and basketball boys at your school, they already know the proper workouts to gain explosiveness. Improving conditioning and nutrition will automatically improve your tennis.

The two areas that can separate kids and allow them to go to the next level are return of service and 2nd serve. Work hard on both these areas, they can be the difference in winning a few more points which leads to a few more matches.

in[k]
06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Alright sounds good :)

Thanks for the detailed response btw, much appreciated.

TennisCoachFLA
06-25-2009, 02:12 PM
;3599530']Alright sounds good :)

Thanks for the detailed response btw, much appreciated.

You are welcome. Go back to school next year stronger and fitter, like those baseball players who magically appear 20 lbs. bigger...except do it naturally!

Work like heck this summer on your conditioning and tennis. Good luck.

Orly?yarly!nowai!
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree with TenniscoachFLA...

you need to do everything, however...

the one thing I wish I would have done sooner was wieght training Do more lower body workouts (squats, cleans) then move up to more upper body (incline press > bench ) it will work more of you shoulders.

Practice a good 2nd serve kicker (place a string 2 feet over the net and practice hitting over that, this will allow for a greater margin of error)

There can still be hope, I started playing my freshman year of HS after the basketball coaches said I wasnt athletic enough ( im 6"5' and 215) and reached #4 ranking in my section and ended the year at 32 by the time I was done with juniors.

Also, as crazy as this sounds, if money is tight, dont be to reluctant to get a job at a fast food joint to pay for stringing and balls!!!!

Best of luck to you!!!

in[k]
07-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the tips :)

And yeah, next summer when I turn 16 I am going to work at a local grocery store [I know the manager].

I have started working out as well. I work out about 45 mins a day, 5 days a week.