PDA

View Full Version : Could Seles come back?

DRII
06-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Monica Seles is in great shape nowadays, as those who have seen her promote her book would know. Could she comback and be competitive?

navratilovafan
06-24-2009, 07:54 AM
She was thinking of a comeback but already decided against it.

rolandg
06-24-2009, 08:33 AM
No, too old and her foot is buggered. She says she can't even practice that much.

navratilovafan
06-24-2009, 08:45 AM
No, too old and her foot is buggered. She says she can't even practice that much.

It is sad that is the case since otherwise she could do a number on the current field

CEvertFan
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
The foot injury won't allow her to come back. She was going to anyway but decided against it. If she came back now though, in the great shape she is in, she would rule the roost without question.

Warriorroger
06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't agree at all. She had problems with heavy hitters Williams and had problems with Hingis. No one hit with more angle and brtual force then she did, but today's power is not a good match up for Seles. It has never been. Graf matches up better against today's players. IMO of course.

lambielspins
06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Don't agree at all. She had problems with heavy hitters Williams and had problems with Hingis. No one hit with more angle and brtual force then she did, but today's power is not a good match up for Seles. It has never been. Graf matches up better against today's players. IMO of course.

It doesnt matter. The Williams are 40% what they used to be, Davenport is gone, Henin is gone, Hingis is gone. On top of that she is in awesome shape now whereas when she was playing those before she was a blimp. She would as CEvertFan said rule the roost in the great shape she is now in vs todays field. It is too bad her foot wont allow her to.

Warriorroger
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
It doesnt matter. The Williams are 40% what they used to be, Davenport is gone, Henin is gone, Hingis is gone. On top of that she is in awesome shape now whereas when she was playing those before she was a blimp. She would as CEvertFan said rule the roost in the great shape she is now in vs todays field. It is too bad her foot wont allow her to.

I totally agree with you being in shape and of her talent alone would do some damage, but today's players thrive on power and being in shape doesn't make you a better athlete. Bartolli isn't a good athlete either, but her game is less risky than Seles's game with all those angles.

bluetrain4
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM

I agree. Even if her foot was healed, I don't see her dominating the field. No doubt, put her in enough tournaments, she could definitely win some matches, but the consistent power of the top players would often (not always) overwhelm her, not to mention the superior movement of some of the top players (The Williams, Kuznetsova for example).

Seles stock-in-trade is dictating points. She could make a few defensive shots, but she could never run down balls like Sanchez, for example.

Against the heavy hitters, she would not be able to dictate as much and then she'd be in trouble, having to play more defense than what she was/is used to.

thalivest
06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I agree. Even if her foot was healed, I don't see her dominating the field. No doubt, put her in enough tournaments, she could definitely win some matches, but the consistent power of the top players would often (not always) overwhelm her, not to mention the superior movement of some of the top players (The Williams, Kuznetsova for example).

Seles stock-in-trade is dictating points. She could make a few defensive shots, but she could never run down balls like Sanchez, for example.

Against the heavy hitters, she would not be able to dictate as much and then she'd be in trouble, having to play more defense than what she was/is used to.

If she didnt dominate the current field it would only be because of her age, you know being in her mid 30s. Seles of the early 90s dominated a field 5 times better than the current one. The Seles of the early 90s would not have lost a single match these last two years. Maybe had to go 3 sets with 1 of the Williams on grass once, that is it. The clay court field is so weak that Seles of the early 90s would have won the last 2 Henin-less French Opens without going beyond 6-2 in any of the 28 sets.

grafrules
06-25-2009, 08:15 AM
The foot injury won't allow her to come back. She was going to anyway but decided against it. If she came back now though, in the great shape she is in, she would rule the roost without question.

I agree. It would have been nice to see her again though. I was getting excited about her comeback for awhile.

GS
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
If she wanted to make a comeback, she'd first play TeamTennis in the summer, like other pros have. But yeah, her foot is shot, just like Capriati's shoulder, which was twice operated on.

Fedace
06-25-2009, 08:26 AM
No, she has that eating disorder. she is regular food gobbler.

GS
06-25-2009, 10:02 AM
No, she has that eating disorder. she is regular food gobbler.

Well, when she appeared on "Dancing With The Stars" last year, she looked pretty slim to me. Think I'll look her up next time I'm in Sarasota....

Warriorroger
06-26-2009, 12:27 PM
She looked like Karen Carpenter.