PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic "I'm confident but not that much"

slicekick95
06-24-2009, 08:54 AM
After Djokovic's match against Greul, he came in to the ESPN Studio for an interview. When asked about his next match vs Mardy Fish, he said that he really shouldnt be considered the big favorite. When asked if he was confident, he said "I am confident but not that much." (I'm not confident but I cant really say that on national television.) As a Djokovic fan, I think this is a good thing. Last year he had great results for a while after the AO, but it still wasnt good enough because he just set such great expectations for himself. Now if he can beat Fish while he is low on confidence, I think his confidence will soar and his level of play will raise significantly.

NamRanger
06-24-2009, 09:18 AM
After Djokovic's match against Greul, he came in to the ESPN Studio for an interview. When asked about his next match vs Mardy Fish, he said that he really shouldnt be considered the big favorite. When asked if he was confident, he said "I am confident but not that much." (I'm not confident but I cant really say that on national television.) As a Djokovic fan, I think this is a good thing. Last year he had great results for a while after the AO, but it still wasnt good enough because he just set such great expectations for himself. Now if he can beat Fish while he is low on confidence, I think his confidence will soar and his level of play will raise significantly.

I think what he means is that Fish is a tough match and that he doesn't go in as a huge favorite. Fish is the 28 seed, has a big serve, attacks the net well, and plays aggressive from the baseline. It will not be an easy match, that's for sure. Their last encounter was a tight 3 set match that Djokovic barely escaped.

imjimmy
06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Well I've given up on Nole. His game at the moment does not inspire any confidence. He'll probably be eliminated in the Quarters, but even if he reaches the SF, he'll be squashed like a bug by Federer. Federer is looking in awesome form at the moment. He could well be on straight set run to the wimbledon trophy this yr. ( like Nadal at RG 08).

Ljubicic for number1
06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
He rated himself a 50/50 chance against the Fish.

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Well I've given up on Nole. His game at the moment does not inspire any confidence. He'll probably be eliminated in the Quarters, but even if he reaches the SF, he'll be squashed like a bug by Federer. Federer is looking in awesome form at the moment. He could well be on straight set run to the wimbledon trophy this yr. ( like Nadal at RG 08).

You can't judge Fed's form from his squashing 2 clowns.

yellowoctopus
06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I believe it's a new strategy to cope with the few weaknesses in his mental game. Although it's debateable, it is quite obvious to some that Djokovic has a hard time when expectation or perceived expectation to win is placed on him. This is not to say that his chance to be a great champion is limited; he just need more time to overcome this fear.

navratilovafan
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
If he makes the semifinals of this Wimbledon somehow it will be a huge achievement for him.

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Nole knows the bad karma hit him after Dijana said "The king is dead" after 2008 AO. Since then Fed has won 2 slams and Nole 0.

joeri888
06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I wish the next match was a Federer-Djokovic semifinal. Would be good for Fed's confidence I reckon.

Cyan
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM

Poor Nole....:?

AAAA
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Djokovic is a Djokovic-hater. who'd dat thought dat hey.

gj011
06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
If he continues to impersonate Montanes (no pun intended) on grass instead playing his game, he will be in trouble against Fish.

lainey80
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't like hearing him say this..
I mean it's good to take some pressure off himself.. if that's what he's trying to do..
but I think he's more confident than he gives off.. I think he will try and be the SILENT warrior.. this time, versus the LOUD PROUD (some say arrogant) player.
I think that part will suit him nicely..
good luck, Novak!

batz
06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
If he continues to impersonate Montanes (no pun intended) on grass instead playing his game, he will be in trouble against Fish.

Missed his match today - same Halle/murray on a bad day type of performance?

P_Agony
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Djokovic is way too passive considering this is grass. I always hope for Djokovic to lose, so go Fish!

gj011
06-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Missed his match today - same Halle/murray on a bad day type of performance?

Unfortunately yes.

Underhand
06-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Djokovic is a Djokovic-hater.

I can understand him.

malakas
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
I wish the next match was a Federer-Djokovic semifinal. Would be good for Fed's confidence I reckon.

I agree.It's too bad that the rest of the big 4 isn't strong enough to meet him in slams lately :?

Serendipitous
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
He's too modest....

Bloodshed
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
This is not good news at all IMHO.

He cannot be passive on grass vs a an aggressive volleyer like Fish.

I have a bad feeling about an upset for that match.

imjimmy
06-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm very disappointed by Djokovic's level of play so far. How I wish we could see the Djokovic of AO/Hamburg 08 or YEC 08. I'm thinking that it might be better if he loses in the QF, rather than getting humilated in straight sets by Federer. Djokovic is so fragile mentally - he says he's still smarting from the Madrid SF 09 defeat :(

Halba
06-24-2009, 07:30 PM
i feel djokovic has his good form in his somewhere...i feel if he was to play federer he will bring his A game and maybe pull off a shock.

Remember he's 2-0 up on federer this year..maybe that will help..

hopefully he turns up the heat on fish..if he starts some good form he could pull off a shock..

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 07:32 PM
i feel djokovic has his good form in his somewhere...i feel if he was to play federer he will bring his A game and maybe pull off a shock.

Remember he's 2-0 up on federer this year..maybe that will help..

hopefully he turns up the heat on fish..if he starts some good form he could pull off a shock..

Masters Series /= Grand Slams.

egn
06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't think DJokovic will struggle, I see him playing a stronger game against Fish than he suspects. I hope he takes to the offense like he did in the US Open and The Masters Cup he actually is improving at the net would be nice to see him use it.

Camnation
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking that it might be better if he loses in the QF, rather than getting humilated in straight sets by Federer.
He might not make the QF. I would be delighted if he made it to the SF, humiliation or not. I don't think there's any shame in being squarely defeated by Roger on grass.

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
He might not make the QF. I would be delighted if he made it to the SF, humiliation or not. I don't think there's any shame in being squarely defeated by Roger on grass.

It's a typical **** insinuation that losing to Federer is a "humiliation".

slicekick95
06-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, atleast he knows what he needs to do. In his interview with TC, he said he needed to play alot closer to the baseline vs Fish.

IvanAndreevich
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I like Djokovic keeping a lower profile. It comes with maturity. I hope he goes through, but I smell a possible upset.

nfor304
06-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I miss the over confident Djokovic. He was way more interesting. These days he plays a bit too defensive too, he plays better when he stays on close to the baseline and plays aggressively

rafan
06-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh come on Djokovic and Murray! Djokovic said his confidence was low and last week we had Murray talking about how tennis was not everything and that his life with his girfriend is important etc. I just wish they would get 100% focused like Federer and Nadal and get on with what they are talented at. There is bound to be days when things aren't easy but like those two you never say never. If Rafa is watching Wimbledon I bet he is really frustrated listening to those giving their press conferences and excuses

VivalaVida
06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Oh come on Djokovic and Murray! Djokovic said his confidence was low and last week we had Murray talking about how tennis was not everything and that his life with his girfriend is important etc. I just wish they would get 100% focused like Federer and Nadal and get on with what they are talented at. There is bound to be days when things aren't easy but like those two you never say never. If Rafa is watching Wimbledon I bet he is really frustrated listening to those giving their press conferences and excuses
Actually, Nadal wont care at all. He would be like federer and every other pro and think only about winning the title. Nadal isnt like a mentor for Murray and Djokovic. They are all grown *** men with their own personalities.

rafan
06-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Actually, Nadal wont care at all. He would be like federer and every other pro and think only about winning the title. Nadal isnt like a mentor for Murray and Djokovic. They are all grown *** men with their own personalities.

I didn't suggest he was a mentor - simply implied that he must be very frustrated not to be able to play and get on with it and instead have to listen to the others and their excuses when they are pretty fit

VivalaVida
06-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I didn't suggest he was a mentor - simply implied that he must be very frustrated not to be able to play and get on with it and instead have to listen to the others and their excuses when they are pretty fit
I think Rafa is probably frustrated that he couldnt play and that is why I think he is at home not paying any attention to wimbledon. Pro players dont watch tennis once they lose. Also I hear he is having some personal issues. Hopefully everything will blow over and he will make a quick comeback.

Tennis_Bum
06-24-2009, 10:44 PM

I don't think Fed needs to beat Djoko to prove to himself or to be confident. Fed is pretty confident of his ability but he was honest about his struggle this year when he was on ESPN today after his 2nd round match.

The time those two met this year, Miami and Rome, Fed had leads but couldn't hold on. Fed just struggled big time with his own game. I thought both times, Djoko didn't really play that well but Fed was pretty much self-destructed.

roysid
06-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Djoko is just trying to keep a good image. He said it's good that Murray is getting all the attention. He's also saying good things about Fed.

I suspect that being not natural will harm him. He was playing better when he was acting natural i.e cocky.

joeri888
06-24-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't think Fed needs to beat Djoko to prove to himself or to be confident. Fed is pretty confident of his ability but he was honest about his struggle this year when he was on ESPN today after his 2nd round match.

The time those two met this year, Miami and Rome, Fed had leads but couldn't hold on. Fed just struggled big time with his own game. I thought both times, Djoko didn't really play that well but Fed was pretty much self-destructed.

I agree, but this is his best chance imo to get some wins against Murray and Novak under his belt. I think in this form especially he could take out Novak in straights you know. it would turn things around for the hardcourt season I think.