PDA

View Full Version : Gulbis vs Murray : Sour Taste

DoubleDeuce
06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Andy Murray faces a young man with a score to settle when he takes on Latvia's Ernests Gulbis on Centre Court tomorrow afternoon.

The British number one has beaten 20-year-old Gulbis in their only two meetings but the Latvian was left with a sour taste following their match at Queen's last year.

Gulbis recalled the meeting as both players prepared on Wimbledon's Aorangi Park practice courts.

"I played pretty well," said Gulbis. "In the third set he took a medical time-out when it was five-all.

"Actually he had nothing (wrong with him), he just broke my rhythm, and I wasn't an experienced enough player to deal with that at the time.

"Then in St Petersburg, I was tired of the season. I was trying to play a good match, but in my mind already I was home.

"I don't say that I would have beaten him, but in this tournament it's going to be like a new match and the past won't count so much."

It would be overstating things to say their second-round encounter will be a grudge match, but Gulbis clearly believes his defeats against Murray have not been a fair reflection of his ability.

Gulbis and Murray have been travelling in opposite directions in the world rankings these past 12 months. While Murray has soared to number three, Gulbis has tumbled from 38 to 74.

He puts it down to concentrating on his physique rather than his tennis, although Murray could counter by saying he has done both with spectacular success.

Gulbis said: "I did a lot of physical work and physically I'm much better than I was and tennis-wise, slowly, slowly, I'm getting my form back.

"I just need one tournament to play good. I think I'm going to be confident then. I lack a little bit of confidence now because I didn't win a lot of matches. But if I make one good tournament, I think I can do much better.

"The tennis can't just disappear. I am playing aggressively like I did before, because for the last couple of matches I didn't play the game which I am used to playing. I played a more defensive game, but that's not my game. I understand that now."

Gulbis is also confident he can cope with the Centre Court atmosphere, which was warmly supportive of Murray in his first-round triumph against Robert Kendrick without reaching the rapture which inevitably accompanied matches involving Tim Henman.

Gulbis, who reached the quarter-finals of the French Open last year and the fourth round in New York the year before, said: "The Wimbledon crowd are pretty fair.

"They will cheer more for him but they will not disturb my game. For me it doesn't matter if somebody is for my opponent.

"I played once in Macedonia and they were like showing fingers and laughing so I think here it's easy."

Murray was taking nothing for granted.

"Gulbis is a very tough opponent," he said. "He has caused some upsets in the past and is a huge hitter of the ball. I'm going to need to be on my game to beat him."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/other-sports/tennis/andy-murray-knows-importanace-of-beating-ernests-14358426.html

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/927.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/12/article-1026044-0195A72F00000578-184_468x731.jpg

dincuss
06-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Gonna be an intense match.
Hoping that Gulbis will pull through.
Id like him to climb up the rankings.
Whoever wins Im happy.

Camnation
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I like Andy, but I hope Gulbis wipes the floor with him. :twisted: Not gonna happen, but oh well.

Bloodshed
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
I like Andy, but I hope Gulbis wipes the floor with him. :twisted: Not gonna happen, but oh well.

Ah man I wish Gulbis would beat Murray to a bloody pulp just so those British d*ckheads would be fuming at Murray for failing winning Wimbledon this year.

Rhino
06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I would love to see Gulbis beat Murray. He took a set off Nadal at Wimbledon last year so he can definitely play well on grass.

The-Fed-Express
06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I would love to see Gulbis beat Murray. He took a set off Nadal at Wimbledon last year so he can definitely play well on grass.
Very true. He had Nadal in trouble for a lot of that match.

I haven't seen Gulbis play enough this year but if plays even as well as he did last year it will be very close. Must watch match anyway.

jimbo333
06-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Ah man I wish Gulbis would beat Murray to a bloody pulp just so those British d*ckheads would be fuming at Murray for failing winning Wimbledon this year.

Calm down! Calm Down!

(Murray will win:))

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
murray in 4

tacou
06-24-2009, 04:23 PM
I hope it's agood match but Ernie hasn't played very well in awhile

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 04:43 PM
You heard it here first - Gulbis in 4!

norbac
06-24-2009, 04:49 PM
You heard it here first - Gulbis in 4!

It's actually already been heard like 45 times in the match thread.

SempreSami
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
DoubleDeuce Murray thread :roll:

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Go Ernie - crush em!

jrod
06-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Personally, I'd love to see Gulbis win this encounter. The truth is, Murray is vastly superior in one key area: thinking.

Murray in straights.

The-Champ
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I hope Murray makes it to the final.

Serendipitous
06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Go Ernests!

egn
06-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I have nothing against Murray but Gulbis is one of my favs I would love if he won this whole tournament =] Gulbis.

Tony48
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Gulbis is Federer's Soderling. If he beats Murray than Federer is guaranteed the title. Nonetheless, I'd still love it if Gulbis beat Murray. He has always been a favorite of mine, despite the ridicule.

DarthFed
06-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I like both Guys but I'm rooting for ernie..he needs to break out..and where else is better than SW19

vtmike
06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H7CzU5xPe8

IvanAndreevich
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H7CzU5xPe8

He sure did a lot better against Nadal than Murray did.

I think this was way better though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AO1U3nfGH0&feature=related

DoubleDeuce
06-24-2009, 07:44 PM

I think this was way better though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AO1U3nfGH0&feature=related

Anyone looking at the second video could not believe his current ranking.
Unfortunately, he just let the talent take over most of the time, with no patience for a plan.

IvanAndreevich
06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Anyone looking at the second video could not believe his current ranking.
Unfortunately, he just let the talent take over most of the time, with no patience for a plan.

He's got a plan, unfortunately it's too high risk. When it works it's awesome, though. I think it's all mental, though.

Seriously, the guy can serve 4 aces and then 3 DF's - all in a row. I've seen that happen with my own two eyes in 2008.

norbac
06-24-2009, 08:36 PM

I wish Gulbis would play that well against lesser ranked opponents...

World Beater
06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
gulbis is kind of like soderlink with perhaps more talent.

jetlee2k
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
I am praying for Gulbis to beat Murray.. Just can't stand Murray with a pusher style of play.. Gulbis will take Murray out in 4..

Dark Victory
06-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Murray making it to the finals would be good for tennis.

IvanAndreevich
06-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I wish Gulbis would play that well against lesser ranked opponents...

Exactly. Tomorrow, though, he's playing the #3 player in the world in a grand slam. I think he'll do well.

Tennis_Bum
06-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I am praying for Gulbis to beat Murray.. Just can't stand Murray with a pusher style of play.. Gulbis will take Murray out in 4..

Well, for sure we'll have a contrast of styles tomorrow. A pusher against an aggressive player, but very inconsistent though. But I think that is the only way to play a pusher like Murray. Gulbis has a shot if and only if he cuts down on his unforced errors against a pusher like Murray.

I don't like Murray's game at all but I think Gulbis is not ready to take down Murray simply because he lacks confidence because of his recent 12 months slide. Although I am rooting for Gulbis nevertheless, but I am realistic of his chance against Murray.

vndesu
06-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Gulbis = Forehand of death

LanceStern
06-24-2009, 11:53 PM
I want Gulbis to advance and not keep falling in the 2nd round, but there's just too much riding on Murray.

I want Gulbis to do good, but I want Murray in the finals, and I want to see Federer there against him.

It's too bad, hopefully Gulbis can bring good form to the US Masters Series

galactico
06-25-2009, 12:06 AM
the problem is consistence for gulbis, when he's on a high then he's on fire, more so than murray, but the lows and he hits too many UE.

gulbis in 4

FlamEnemY
06-25-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm having Gulbis and Hewitt to meet in the semi in my ATP challenge circuit, so go Gulbis and Rusty!... :)

cork_screw
06-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Have been eyeing gulbis for sometime. This is a very much possible upset. Gulbis has been stated by many as one of the most talented players with a ranking that doesn't reflect it.

vive le beau jeu !
06-25-2009, 12:55 AM
"I played once in Macedonia and they were like showing fingers and laughing so I think here it's easy."
i have always been wondering about this weird (5 sets) loss against a very low ranked macedonian player (#800 or something) in davis cup... so these fingers might be a beginning of explanation ! ;)
I'm having Gulbis and Hewitt to meet in the semi in my ATP challenge circuit, so go Gulbis and Rusty!... :)
that could be an interesting SF ! :)
c'mon ernests !!!

dincuss
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
He played like crap today
:(

Kore
06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
so glad murray won today!

SempreSami
06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Lol at this thread.

Murray slipped in that game at Queen's and injured his thumb, he withdrew from his match against Roddick the day after.

jimbo333
06-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Murray is tactically absolutely Superb. Murray is fantastic to watch, he is so underrated around here it is just ridiculous!!!

I genuinely think he is the new Borg!!!