PDA

View Full Version : imagine becker was still around...

samprasvsfederer123
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
how would boris do against federer in a final. in wimbledon because undoubetly hed get to it.

fed_rulz
06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
how would boris do against federer in a final. in wimbledon because undoubetly hed get to it.

he'd smoke federer in straights - since the surface has been slowed down, boris definitely has the edge from the baseline.. we can all agree that boris from the strong 90s would definitely eat fed from the weak 00's alive.. yeah, i think that sounds about right.

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 04:44 PM
he'd smoke federer in straights - since the surface has been slowed down, boris definitely has the edge from the baseline.. we can all agree that boris from the strong 90s would definitely eat fed from the weak 00's alive.. yeah, i think that sounds about right.

Excuse me while I LMAO at "Becker better from the baseline then Federer". Sure I think Becker would win on the 1989 grass, but it's not 1989.

timnz
06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Becker was better at Volleying through practice over Federer. Federer did show in his match in 2001 against Sampras that all the talent is there for volleying. However, there are very few fast courts in tennis anymore. Wimbledon is doing its best to become the slowest tournament on grass in history, and indoor carpet play has all but disappeared.

Its such a shame, because I think it has diminished tennis. I think the ITF and the ATP should work together to increase the number of indoor carpet surfaces. Instead late season they have indoor hard - which is slower. Not sure why they are doing this.

callitout
06-24-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2009-06-11/200906111244714398918.html

Please see 3 in that list.
Peter Doohan defeats defending champion Boris Becker.
Fed gets so little credit for never having those early round slip ups which the other guys have.
I think Fed is nearly as good as Doohan, and might even challenge him on grass.

BigServer1
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2009-06-11/200906111244714398918.html

Please see 3 in that list.
Peter Doohan defeats defending champion Boris Becker.
Fed gets so little credit for never having those early round slip ups which the other guys have.
I think Fed is nearly as good as Doohan, and might even challenge him on grass.

I dunno...Federer plays in an era of weaklings and mental midgets who have absolutely no talent...I think if Doohan had played in this era he would be #1 and have 18 grand slams.

Federer takes a game or two off of him, tops.

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I dunno...Federer plays in an era of weaklings and mental midgets who have absolutely no talent...I think if Doohan had played in this era he would be #1 and have 18 grand slams.

Federer takes a game or two off of him, tops.

+1. Time to tell it like it is - Fed is a clown!

Dark Victory
06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Becker would give Fed a damn good fight, that's for sure.

VivalaVida
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Federer would crush old man Becker mercilessly.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
If Becker was still around, he wouldn't beat a qualifier. I mean, the guy's 41. :rolleyes:

NadalandFedererfan
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Which Becker? The 80s Becker or the 90s? The 80s Becker would have a decent shot I think. The 90s Becker very little, almost none.

Dark Victory
06-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Which Becker? The 80s Becker or the 90s? The 80s Becker would have a decent shot I think. The 90s Becker very little, almost none.
Prime Becker would be tough for Federer.

NadalandFedererfan
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Prime Becker would be tough for Federer.

and Prime Becker was in the 80s. Hence my comment. Even then only on grass and carpet I think.

corners
06-24-2009, 07:12 PM
My two favorite all-time players. Becker in his prime, and that was more like a day to day thing than a 80s or 90s question, would definitely give Federer all he could handle on the grass.

But one thing to consider is that serving, and returning seems to have gotten better. I noticed that Fed's 1st and 2nd serve average speeds are about the same, or a little better, than Becker's were in the 90s at Wimbledon. Becker is renowned for having the booming serve, but I'm not so sure it would look as good today as then. It also wasn't as heavily spun as Sampras' and I have a feeling that Fed would draw a bead on it like he does with Roddick's. That said, could he do enough with the return? I think probably yes; and Fed can hit much better passing shots, off low bounces or half-volleyed from the baseline, than anyone Becker played during his championship runs.

But then again if Becker was hot he could blow just about anyone off the court. Fed almost got done by del Potro in that style last month. Becker certainly wouldn't have wanted to rally with him, but I think Fed would have exposed his average movement pretty easily and taken the initiative on most points so that Boris wouldn't have been able to set up and blast away.

I'd say Fed wins 7 out of 10 on Center Court Sundays.

IvanAndreevich
06-24-2009, 08:28 PM
They measure serve speed differently now. Before they used to measure it as it passed over the net, now as it leaves the server's racquet.

bruce38
06-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Becker wouldn't stand a chance against Fed on any surface in any era.

psYcon
06-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Federer has been consistently reaching semi-finals and finals without fail. This kind of performance is unparalled in any era by any former #1.

No one, and I repeat, no one from previous years can stand up to Federer.

EtePras
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
It's funny listening to people saying that players who lost to Brad Gilbert and other such weaklings in early rounds would stand a chance against Federer. Roddick doesn't even lose early against he's up against a player who is on fire, so he'd beat Becker easily.

callitout
06-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes Doohan beat 80's Becker. Dont give us BS about how consistently great Becker was.
On his best day he was a beast...but Fed on his best day was pretty good ask Lleyton Hewitt or Roddick or Agassi about what that's like to play against.
People love talking about bygone eras and how tough the competition was, because they look at everyone in the draw and forget whether they were in their prime or not. 20 years from now people can look back and say Fed won GS vs a field which included Safin and Hewitt Djoker and Nadal (assume for a minute that the last 2 guys add to GS totals). As we know, there's a big difference between the Safin or Hewitt who gave Sampras who gave a tennis lesson at USO and the guys who are in tournaments this year.
Similarly, Micheal Stich, Goran and Becker were hardly consistently great players.

Gorecki
06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
News flash Federetes:

Fabrice Santoro : Singles Ranking 37

a 36 year old santoro is ranked nr 37 in this amazing era of fantastic players...

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 11:10 PM
News flash Federetes:

Fabrice Santoro : Singles Ranking 37

a 36 year old santoro is ranked nr 37 in this amazing era of fantastic players...

So tell me who was No. 37 in 1999?

Gorecki
06-24-2009, 11:16 PM
So tell me who was No. 37 in 1999?

before even cheking, i can assure it was not a 36 year old powerless frenchman...

now after cheking, Hicham Arazi.. widely regarded as one of the greatest natural talents of tennis history...

care to establish comparisons?

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 11:19 PM
before even cheking, i can assure it was not a 36 year old powerless frenchman...

now after cheking, Hicham Arazi.. widely regarded as one of the greatest natural talents of tennis history...

care to establish comparisons?

Yeah that guys sounds like a real tennis powerhouse. :-|

Gorecki
06-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah that guys sounds like a real tennis powerhouse. :-|

hum hum... so you are ignorant to thepoint of not knowing who Arazi was?

ok... im done with you!

chrisdaniel
06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Arazi!!!! Man, I miss that guys tennis.