PDA

View Full Version : Navratilova's 1990 Wimbledon victory

Lionheart392
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
When Federer won the French recently, some people were saying that he cannot be considered GOAT until he defeats Nadal again in a slam final (which I disagree with, but anyway). As I was only 2 years old at the time, I was wondering if anyone knew whether some people were saying similar things about Navratilova when she won Wimbledon in 1990. That it was 'hollow' or whatever that she didn't beat Steffi Graf in the final, whom she had lost to in the previous 3 slam finals she had been in. For the record, I don't think it affects the achievement at all, obviously Graf wasn't good enough to reach the final in 1990 and Navratilova beat everyone who stood in her way, so it isn't my viewpoint. But just wondering if there were those who did believe so?

NadalandFedererfan
06-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I think that is a great example. You can only beat who was on the other side of the net. I love Rafa but he couldnt beat Soderling, thus he certainly did not deserve the 2009 French Open. Likewise if Steffi couldnt even beat Zina Garrison then she certainly didnt deserve to win Wimbledon 1990.

BTURNER
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I am right with you on this team. Nadal or Graf were not the ones to beat, if they didn't get through their half of the draw.

CEvertFan
06-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Navratilova won that 9th Wimbledon fair and square. Not her fault that Zina beat Graf. Not Federer's fault that Soderling beat Nadal either. Kudos to both for taking full advantage of the opportunity that was presented to them though and it doesn't diminish their achievement in the least IMO.

1970CRBase
06-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Navratilova won that 9th Wimbledon fair and square. Not her fault that Zina beat Graf. Not Federer's fault that Soderling beat Nadal either. Kudos to both for taking full advantage of the opportunity that was presented to them though and it doesn't diminish their achievement in the least IMO.

I agree. After all, it's also hardly Navratilova's fault that Graf had to go skiing and broke her thumb in her playing hand in early Feb 1990 and then had to take a two month absence. Navratilova was absolutely right to point out that it was Steffi who didn't earn her place in the final. Kudos to Navratilova and it doesn't diminish her achievement in the least.

NadalandFedererfan
06-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Another example perhaps would be when Mauresmo won Wimbledon in 2006. Venus won every other year from 2005-2008. However in 2006 JJ took her out early. It didnt take anything away from Mauresmo's win though that she didnt beat Venus in the final since Venus couldnt make it there, nor should it have.

Another would be Agassi's 1999 French Open title when Kuerten was upset by Medevedev in the quarters. Kuerten couldnt make the final so wasnt worthy of the French Open title which Agassi rightly won that year.