PDA

View Full Version : Federer:Buzzsaw

Conquistador
06-24-2009, 07:14 PM
So far, so good. The story of Roger Federer's illustrious career continues at Wimbledon this week. After "humbling" Lu in the first round, federer continues to roll along. I mean this guy looks like no one will take a set off of him this week. Federer dominated Garcia Lopez in a straight set match. The skill and determination of Federer continues to push along. Federer is a buzzsaw, a constant turning engine that puts out results. No wonder why Roger doesnt wear down like that of Nadal, because Federer usually dominates his opponents in straight sets. Its becoming apparent each match that Federer will prolong his career, because I have been noticing that Federer has been playing shorter and shorter matches, especially in the 1st and 2nd rounds. This guy is on a roll.

jamesblakefan#1
06-24-2009, 07:17 PM
2 rounds. calm down, ok? what, was he supposed to lose to Lu and or Garcia-Lopez?

Like I said, calm down, it's just 2 rounds.

samprasvsfederer123
06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
hpe federer wins it all muraray only getting hyped up because nadal aint here and hes british and won the aegon championchips but cmon andy roddick would have won it if the incident wouldnt have happened, just hope federer shows to everyone who the man, he still has 4 more in him

Blue Drop
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Agreed that it's early to get excited. Although, granted, he sometimes has shaky starts and in this case he has come out of the gates firing on all cylinders.

joeri888
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
So far, so good. The story of Roger Federer's illustrious career continues at Wimbledon this week. After "humbling" Lu in the first round, federer continues to roll along. I mean this guy looks like no one will take a set off of him this week. Federer dominated Garcia Lopez in a straight set match. The skill and determination of Federer continues to push along. Federer is a buzzsaw, a constant turning engine that puts out results. No wonder why Roger doesnt wear down like that of Nadal, because Federer usually dominates his opponents in straight sets. Its becoming apparent each match that Federer will prolong his career, because I have been noticing that Federer has been playing shorter and shorter matches, especially in the 1st and 2nd rounds. This guy is on a roll.
Still a long way to go mate. He could win the whole thing without losing a set, he could also lose to Philip Kohlschreiber in straights next round. We saw what happened to Rafa at RG

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Hold you horses - so he beat a couple of clowns? The real tourney begins on Saturday.

nfor304
06-24-2009, 11:16 PM

I remember Pete Bodo posted a while ago on tennis.com about how he believed Federer was the ultimate grinder in the sport, and I would have to agree. He is by far the most consistent player both mentally and physically. Never has withdrawn mid match, always manages to pull through close matches against lower ranked players, always delivers at the big events. And here he is after the most emotional victory he has had in years playing with all the focus and determination of a guy trying to win his first grand slam.
Its like when you read stories about Tiger woods hitting the gym the morning after his US open victory or Michael Jordan showing up earlier to practice everyday than his teammates.

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 11:17 PM
I remember Pete Bodo posted a while ago about how he believed Federer was the ultimate grinder in the sport. He is by far the most consistent player both mentally and physically. Never has withdrawn mid match, always manages to pull through close matches against lower ranked players, always delivers at the big events.

I would have to agree

Bozo is off base as usual. "grinders" don't finish their matches in double-quick time like Federer usually does. Fact is he can grind when he absolutely needs to(usually against Spanish claycourters like Nadal, Ferrero), but most of the time he's a supremely attacking player that hits loads of winners.

tennis_hand
06-24-2009, 11:43 PM
after watching Lopez match, u realize the difference.

Fed can play better and win the important points. Lopez played some amazing points too, but lose the important ones. and Lopez commits more UEs on regular shots than Fed.

Fed can come up with amazing shots to win a game.

Isn't this the case in amateur level also? better players are defined by fewer UEs.

nfor304
06-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Bozo is off base as usual. "grinders" don't finish their matches in double-quick time like Federer usually does. Fact is he can grind when he absolutely needs to(usually against Spanish claycourters like Nadal, Ferrero), but most of the time he's a supremely attacking player that hits loads of winners.

It depends on your definition of "grind".

I think Bodo is refering to the fact that whenever Federer shows up to a tournament he is always ready to play and more often than not performs near his best level. His grind is making sure his body is always ready and he is always prepared.

Players like Nadal and Ferrero grind points yes, but players who play in a 'grinding' style like Ferrero, Canas, Ferrer etc dont play their best as many weeks in the year as Fed does.

Guru
06-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Federer's only lost once at Wimbledon in six years
and the man that beat him isn't here this year.

joeri888
06-25-2009, 02:46 AM

On how many grasscourt wins since Ancic beat him in 2002 is he?

OTMPut
06-25-2009, 02:51 AM

Sad. That man is 5 years younger and yet he is not fit enough to last half the season.

Shame really.

Guru
06-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Sad. That man is 5 years younger and yet he is not fit enough to last half the season.

Shame really.

He's fit but he's injured and that's a big difference.

On how many grasscourt wins since Ancic beat him in 2002 is he?

I'm not sure. 40 plus i think
not including Halle which he has dominated.

joeri888
06-25-2009, 03:28 AM
I'm not sure. 40 plus i think
not including Halle which he has dominated.

He's on 42 at Wimbledon I think ( 5 wins (-35) -1 walkover (=34)+6 wins in 2008 +2 this year) but I don't know how much he won in Halle.

AAAA
06-25-2009, 04:12 AM
nfor304, I understand what Bodo was getting at. However I'm sure you've seen the firepower Federer has at his disposal aswell.

Other grinders like Chang, Hewitt and Ferrer don't have the firepower to hit winners like Federer. Chang, Hewitt and Ferrer grind because they don't have the options to do much else.

I'd say Federer has the many of the qualities of top level grinders + a lot more besides.

Interesting reference you made there.

Now watch the detractors re-label Federer a grinder and miss everything else he can do.

cknobman
06-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I hope Federer wins in 5 sets 12-10 fifth set over Andy Murray.

kOaMaster
06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
he's +25 in halle (won 5 times, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008)
and 35+6+2 = 43 in wimbledon

so 68:1 counting from his loss vs. antic in 2002

viduka0101
06-25-2009, 01:31 PM

great thread KOOZIE!:)

FlamEnemY
06-26-2009, 01:50 AM
I hope Federer wins in 5 sets 12-10 fifth set over Andy Murray.

I doubt Murray has the stamina.

wangs78
06-26-2009, 07:11 AM
So far Fed hasn't done anything particularly impressive at Wimbledon. He's convincingly beaten two low ranked players and he seemed to play well against Kolschreiber, even with Kols getting the best of him in a tiebreaker. Soderling will be a somewhat better test for him. Now that they are meeting in the 4R, Soderling should be able to overcome nerves which he utterly failed to do at RG. But if an in-form Fed plays, he should be able to beat Soderling in straights. So we'll see how Fed does there. I think this tourney is far from being won by Fed at this point. He won RG, sure and he played some tough matches against some tough/inspired opponents. But until I seem him beat players like Nadal, Djokovic or Murray on the big stage I'm not going to believe that he is playing in dominant fashion. Those three guys (and himself) are the benchmark right now. Anyone outside of the top 4 is a mile behind.

FedFan_2009
06-26-2009, 07:12 AM
We'll see.

kOaMaster
06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
when he wins the last point it's won ;)

if federer can stay on that high level he used to play most of the time in those 3 matches, I do not see who could stop him. but if he has breaks, some blackouts like he did today in the 3rd set (serve didn't come, some bad luck with the net, didn't return as he did before) and the opponent is on a row - who knows what might happen :)

prince
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
i hope fed wins but i dont mind DR IVO winning WB - i hope ivo gets red hot for the whole touney.