PDA

View Full Version : Barricades made my toenails black!

Cloud Atlas
06-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I recently bought a pair of Addidas Barracades, and after hitting with them once, I got home and my big toenails were very sore. About three days later, they were both completely black! That was about three months ago and my toenails remained black and the nail on my right foot fell off!!! The left one looks like it's on the way too. Kind of freaking me out. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Barracades? Will the shoes 'mould' to my feet? :shock:

bad_call
06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
same thing happened to me with the Barricades II. had to switch...can't play when toes are hurting.

Hrandyrko
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Lmfao...You need to switch shoes. That sort of thing happens when you slam your finger nails in a car door. It's happened to my cousin.

william7gr
06-24-2009, 08:14 PM
I had the same thing happen but it was because I dropped a table on my toe :D I use barricades and never had such problems but they do require a slight break in period but not much at all.

kobe3pointer
06-24-2009, 08:14 PM
This happened to me when I bought some cheap prince shoes...

Try a larger/wider size... helped me.

MagPro
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Same thing for me and at least 3 friends. I went to Yonex.

royer
06-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah. This is a pretty common ailment for tennis players. It is not limited to Barricades though. I've worn the IV's and V's without incident, but on three separate occasions, wearing three different types of shoes, I've jammed my big toe (always the left foot?) into the end of the sneaker, which resulted in some discomfort, pain, black toenails, and eventual loss of aforementioned black toenails. It's pretty disgusting and, yes, freaky.

While shoe size and fit have a great deal to do with this (I've heard people refer to this condition as "turf toe"), much of it (I believe) has to do with one' style of play as well. Running very hard/fast and making quick abrupt stops, will inevitably cause ones toes to jam into the inside end of the shoe. The three times it's happened to me came about as as result of really abrupt stops following quick sprints across the court.

Again, proper shoe fit goes a long way, but it can happen to just about anyone wearing any shoe.

Some advice? Keep your toenails trimmed. Long (untrimmed) toenails are a leading cause of this type of injury.

Cloud Atlas
06-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Running very hard/fast and making quick abrupt stops, will inevitably cause ones toes to jam into the inside end of the shoe. The three times it's happened to me came about as as result of really abrupt stops following quick sprints across the court.

Really interesting to see so many people have had this problem! And I serve and volley a bit and finish a lot of points off at the net, so yes, lots of stopping and starting. I paid $200 (Australian) for these shoes and don't want to give up on them yet! If it happens again I'll have to though.

AndrewD
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
I recently bought a pair of Addidas Barracades, and after hitting with them once, I got home and my big toenails were very sore. About three days later, they were both completely black! That was about three months ago and my toenails remained black and the nail on my right foot fell off!!! The left one looks like it's on the way too. Kind of freaking me out. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Barracades? Will the shoes 'mould' to my feet? :shock:

You need to make allowance for the constant 'stop-start' motion that occurs during a tennis match and buy shoes which provide enough room so that your toes don't get jammed when you stop suddenly and then push off again. What you've described is the result of not buying shoes which are long enough. People can experience it in foot only because, typically, one foot is longer than the other.

Perhaps you tried the shoes on, initially, at the start of the day instead of towards the end ?

martini1
06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I had the same problem. Just go 1 size up and wear thicker socks if you have too. Now my toes are happy campers :)

charliefedererer
06-25-2009, 08:38 AM
To stop black toenails:
1. Make sure you tennis shoe is the right size. This often means a 1/2 or whole size up from a dress shoe. TW usually comments whether a shoe fits "true to size", or whether to order a size up or down.
2. Use good thick, cushioned noncotton socks like Thorlo to help protect your foot from the friction against the shoe.
3. Cut your toenails at least once a week, and cut them really really short.
4. Tie you shoes tight. And retie them again after about ten minutes of warmup or play as inevitably any play in the laces/shoe will make them loose again.

TennezSport
06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
To stop black toenails:
1. Make sure you tennis shoe is the right size. This often means a 1/2 or whole size up from a dress shoe. TW usually comments whether a shoe fits "true to size", or whether to order a size up or down.
2. Use good thick, cushioned noncotton socks like Thorlo to help protect your foot from the friction against the shoe.
3. Cut your toenails at least once a week, and cut them really really short.
4. Tie you shoes tight. And retie them again after about ten minutes of warmup or play as inevitably any play in the laces/shoe will make them loose again.

I could not agree more as most people don't get their tennis shoes in the right size, in length and width. Also make sure that the shoe supports your foot type (neutral, supinated or pronated).

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

WildVolley
06-25-2009, 09:55 AM
It also depends upon the shape of your foot and how slick the insole is in the shoe. If you can get a proper fit over the instep, it will help (though not necessarily eliminate) the tendency for the foot to slide forward in the shoe when making a hard stop.

redfred
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
this happened to me with the new babolat all court shoes.but now they're really comfortable.u just have to break a shoe in before it feels good.but if u try to do it too fast.it can have some bad effects on ur foot.

star 5 15
06-26-2009, 11:38 AM
sounds like you bought your shoes too small

ugotlobbed
06-26-2009, 12:42 PM
haha do you need a toe truck, they named it barricade for a reason

LPShanet
06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

As others have stated, this isn't a Barricade problem or an adidas problem, it's most likely a fit problem. Either the shoes are too short, or they're too wide. A too wide shoe will allow your foot to slide forward when it's jammed up there, rather than locking it in. Check the fit. If they're too short, it's never going to improve and you need to replace them. If they're too wide and allow slippage, try switching to a thicker sock or wearing two pairs, and make sure they're always tied tightly.

Cloud Atlas
06-26-2009, 05:32 PM
As others have stated, this isn't a Barricade problem or an adidas problem, it's most likely a fit problem.

I wasn't suggesting it was a Barracade problem. Will try a size up next time. Although wouldn't that mean that there was more room for my toes to move, and therefore I'm more likely to slide forward when I stop, banging my toes into the edge of the shoe?
I lost the left toenail yesterday after a hit too, btw. :?

Bud
06-26-2009, 11:19 PM

Why did you continue playing when the shoes were hurting your toes that badly? Did you not feel it during hitting and match play?

Are you feet sliding around in them? Did you purchase the correct size?

brado32003
06-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I wear Barricades too, and I think I have at least two broken toes... going to the doctor Monday lol

dunlop kid
06-27-2009, 12:13 AM
It means that your nails are too long, and you should cut them. I have a pair of Barra's and mine nails are fine as i have cut them and they are short.

Cloud Atlas
06-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Why did you continue playing when the shoes were hurting your toes that badly? Did you not feel it during hitting and match play?

Are you feet sliding around in them? Did you purchase the correct size?

Feet weren't sliding around and felt good in the shop. Feet weren't hurting at all until I did a quick stop after running to the net and I felt them jam into the end of my shoes. Started this thread mainly to see if my toenails falling off from tennis shoes was a freaky thing or not, and it seems like it's not. Also wanted to see if the Barricades would "wear in".

LPShanet
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
I wasn't suggesting it was a Barracade problem. Will try a size up next time. Although wouldn't that mean that there was more room for my toes to move, and therefore I'm more likely to slide forward when I stop, banging my toes into the edge of the shoe?
I lost the left toenail yesterday after a hit too, btw. :?

It is also possible that the Barricades will never work well for you. If you have a narrow foot shape, it may be tough to get a Barricade that fits, for the reason you just mentioned. It is possible that the ones you have are already too big as opposed to too small. How much room is there between your longest toe and the front of the shoe?

LPShanet
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Feet weren't sliding around and felt good in the shop. Feet weren't hurting at all until I did a quick stop after running to the net and I felt them jam into the end of my shoes. Started this thread mainly to see if my toenails falling off from tennis shoes was a freaky thing or not, and it seems like it's not. Also wanted to see if the Barricades would "wear in".

I, and quite a few other players, have found that the Barricade V feels more snug in the forefoot when you first buy it than it will after you start moving in it. Because of its initial stiffness, it's quite easy not to realize how wide the shoe is when first trying it on. I had that experience myself. As others have mentioned, keeping your toenails cut very short helps, but ultimately, you need to have the right fit. And once you've banged them up once, it gets more and more likely. It may also help to get a replacement insole with a higher arch. Those can help reduce forward sliding as well.

royer
06-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Just a word of caution about cutting your toenails "very short" as some have suggested: Be careful with that. Keeping the nails well-trimmed is imperative, BUT if you cut 'em too short, you could cause yourself more discomfort than relief (i.e. ingrown toenails). Be reasonable.

And yes, as others have pointed out, "fit" is more than just shoe size. You need to find shoes that fit your foot well. What works for some isn't necessarily going to work for others.

Orion
06-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I found Barricades to be very uncomfortable. I'm 5'10, 165 lbs and it's just too heavy of a shoe for me. Feels like I'm wearing a block. I settled on Feathers but they're giving me black toes. The Asics GEl Resolution is nice, stable and light but wears too fast. Seriously considering the NB CT1004. Tried it on and it fit nice and was it was surprisingly light and it leather/mesh for breathability. ANd don't forget NB makes shoes in different widths.

JavierLW
06-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Things that worked with my Barricades that helped reduce slippage a lot:

1) For every pair I buy, I remove the shoelaces completely and relace them up exactly the same as a pair that is fitting comfortably. (I now have 5 pairs and Ive noticed that just from lacing alone some pairs were more comfortable then others)

2) Get a insole that fits your arches well. (Superfeet, PowerStep, doctor prescribed orthothics...)

3) Try thicker socks. I wear two pairs of socks, the inner pair is actually sock liners that they sell at Gander Mountain for hiking. Even at that though I noticed that the Adidas socks seem to be thicker then the Nike socks I used to us, which helped keep my foot in place.

4) Break in the shoes. Usually I go on a few long walks with them, and even then I notice it may take until my 2nd or 3rd actual tennis outing before they begin to feel more comfortable. (although that seems to do more with general shoe comfort in general, not just slippage)

LPShanet
06-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I found Barricades to be very uncomfortable. I'm 5'10, 165 lbs and it's just too heavy of a shoe for me. Feels like I'm wearing a block. I settled on Feathers but they're giving me black toes. The Asics GEl Resolution is nice, stable and light but wears too fast. Seriously considering the NB CT1004. Tried it on and it fit nice and was it was surprisingly light and it leather/mesh for breathability. ANd don't forget NB makes shoes in different widths.

Good points and recommendations. Also worth trying are the Babolat All Courts and Propulses. They last longer than some of the ones you mentioned, and have a good fit for those with a slightly less wide foot. Also, the Barricades II's are much lighter and more contoured, and are still available. The Barricade V's do eventually break in and feel less blocky, but it takes a while. The traction is pretty great, though.

brado32003
06-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I wear Barricades too, and I think I have at least two broken toes... going to the doctor Monday lol

Ha i was right... both of my big toes are broken.

iTennis
06-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Barricade V ended my toe jamming/ black nail issues.... At the same time I went 1/2 size up with double cotton socks, which would be the part of my success.

As someone suggested, it is not shoes but fitting that causes problems. Personally I would only recommend cotton (or high cotton content) socks, because I found synthetic materials are more slippery. Even though cotton socks tend to feel less dry, it keeps feet cool that also helps prevent blisters.

Bud
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Ha i was right... both of my big toes are broken.

Didn't you do something (i.e. stop wearing the shoes) when your toes were in pain? How could you wear shoes to the point where they actually broke both your big toes? :confused:

Orion
06-30-2009, 09:14 PM
My wife broke her big toe in the pool last year. It was fluke. She stubbed it coming off the step walking toward the wall. Only thing the Dr. did was wrap it. They told her it would heal on it's own.

phucng_10
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
These questions might have been asked, but were your toenails long? Was the shoes too small for you? I had aches with my Barricades II. But that was only because my toenails were long and they were hitting towards the top of the inside.

Doulers
07-06-2009, 02:01 PM

This has happened to me before, but not with Barricades. Has happened with other brands. I don't think it has anything to do with the brand of shoe. May have something to do with the size if you got the wrong size. Or, it could just be that when you were playing, you jammed your foot forward into the toebox, thereby, jamming the big toe into the front of the shoe. This is what happened to me. But it seems to happen to me on hard courts mainly because of the quicker stop you have to make. My foot sort of jammed forward in the shoe and jammed the toe. I have tried tying shoes tighter but it does not seem to help. It is basically a bruised big toe. For me, it kind of hurt right away. Not enough to completely stop me from playing. But eventually the nail and nail bed underneath got black and blue like a bruise. This causes the toe nail to basically die and eventually fall off. It took a few months until mine was ready to fall off. But during that time I could feel it getting looser. And then I could feel a new nail coming up from the nail bed. Eventually once the new nail was sufficiently "above ground" the old one came off easily and painlessly.

atennisrand
07-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I have also encountered this problem with the barricade V's but in a less substantial way, i get small rubbing on the outside of my toe when playing long sessions but the problem seems to have died down after the shoe has been broken in and now I love my adidas' more than ever.

bageldog
02-06-2010, 12:26 AM
As someone who will be a doctor in a matter of months, I just had this happen to me. And I had the Adidas Barricades, though I'm not sure what number. Had them for 3 years, and one day forgot to tighten them up before playing... But, you need to quickly drain the blood from under the nail (within the first 24 hours), to save the nail. 85% of patients with this condition (subungual hematoma) who underwent the draining procedure had no complications after several months. The pain also goes away within a day or two if you drain it. It's very easy:
1) clean the toe with an alcohol swab
2) straighten a paperclip
3) heat the paper clip with a lighter, until the end is red-hot (it MUST be this hot to work). I recommend one of those really nice cigar lighters, that sounds like a blowtorch, with the blue flame
4) GENTLY dab the hot end in the middle of the black nail, it will burn through (it took me about 5 times). Do this gently, there's no rush, just keep reheating the paperclip. Eventually, it will pop through the nail, and blood will squirt out...it can be pretty impressive, you should do this in the bathtub or over the toilet. This is 100% painless..the nail is similar to hair (keratin), and underneath it is a large pool of escaped blood under pressure. Just keep the pressure gentle so when you get through the nail you don't push through the hematoma and into your toe
5) your toe will drain a clear-to-yellow fluid for the next several days. Avoid taking baths and jacuzzi, and swimming in the ocean or pools. Stick to showers to avoid infecting the area. Bacteria and fungus love places like this.
6) wear thick socks and tie them laces tight in the future!

prestige worldwide
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
happened to me too, switched to cc genious and problem went away. Guess its the tighter fit of genious

myservenow
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
This exact thing happened with me this past June. I ordered my first pair of clay court shoes for vacation. They were Adidas Feathers III. I wear an 8.5 in all shoes. That is the size of the Feathers.

I received them the day before vacation. I put them on and they felt snug. I had no choice but to wear them as I was going to be playing a lot on clay.

After two days, the tips of my toes were sore. Thought it was blisters. Toes would hurt off and on during that week. Within a few days, the second toe nail on right foot turned black. It did not come off on its own. Finally, in January it was loose enough so that I could rip it away. Didn't hurt and I had a new toe nail growing underneath it.

BEST ADVICE: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM IN THE TOE BOX OF YOUR TENNIS SHOES!! Do research before buying to make sure shoe runs true to size. The Feather IIIs were advertised as "half size smaller." Too bad I didn't see that beforehand. Tough lesson to learn.