PDA

View Full Version : Great post by Peter Bodo about Federer`s image

iksmols
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/06/w.html

joeri888
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure what I thought of that. I kind of agree with that it's quite ugly, but on the other hand I don't think it's something impossible to like, or that Federer is obviously being used. I also believe that it is not worth writing such a long piece about and I'd rather see him write something about all the tennis happening, or even the name of Federer's baby, lol. I find very little things so unimportant as the way tennisplayers who I don't even know personally, dress up.

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
it's funny how he goes through all of those paragraphs about his image, but not once mentions his tennis. WHO SHOULD CARE ABOUT WHAT HE WEARS? it just doesnt freakin matter...

iksmols
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
it's funny how he goes through all of those paragraphs about his image, but not once mentions his tennis. WHO SHOULD CARE ABOUT WHAT HE WEARS? it just doesnt freakin matter...

If it did not matter why would Nike go that far? It does matter! Don`t kid yourself .

angharad
06-24-2009, 10:17 PM
It's a few days into Wimbledon and people are still talking about Roger's getup?

That means that it's done its job. Federer is doing what many other players have done, and nearly always has the tennis to back it up.

drake
06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Fashion designers are, how do you say, a bit feminine, hence it reflects on his Wimbledon outfits. It's time he drops the yearly Wimbledon attire to the chagrin of the Nike "designers"

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
If it did not matter why would Nike go that far? It does matter! Don`t kid yourself .

NO. It does NOT matter. It does not having anything to do with tennis. when i go to tennis.com i dont want to read about fashion, i want to read about tennis. I don't care if he comes out wearing a clown outfit. Nike is trying to make a name for themselves (rather, continue that name)...and it has nothing to do with tennis.

joeri888
06-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Commercially of course it matters! It does not matter to tennisfans though!! It shouldn't. If I want to read an article like this I will go to celebbadfashionstatements.com or something, not to tennis.com

Gorecki
06-24-2009, 10:45 PM
NO. It does NOT matter. It does not having anything to do with tennis. when i go to tennis.com i dont want to read about fashion, i want to read about tennis. I don't care if he comes out wearing a clown outfit. Nike is trying to make a name for themselves (rather, continue that name)...and it has nothing to do with tennis.

this whole thing gets funny when we finish reading your post and start reading your signature...

consistency check?

TBobLP
06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
this whole thing gets funny when we finish reading your post and start reading your signature...

consistency check?

and the problem is? does my signature say music and life are all about fashion? does it even mention tennis or sports?

how about a comprehension check?

FedFan_2009
06-24-2009, 11:01 PM
1. We're still talking about Roger's outfit - check
2. Roger is still kicking *** on the court - check

Mission accomplished!

Gorecki
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
and the problem is? does my signature say music and life are all about fashion? does it even mention tennis or sports?

how about a comprehension check?

let me introduce you to the wonderfull world of Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: 1style
Pronunciation: \ˈstī(-ə)l\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English stile, style, from Latin stilus spike, stem, stylus, style of writing; perhaps akin to Latin instigare to goad — more at stick
Date: 14th century
1: designation, title
2 a: a distinctive manner of expression (as in writing or speech) <writes with more attention to style than to content> <the flowery style of 18th century prose> b: a distinctive manner or custom of behaving or conducting oneself <the formal style of the court> <his style is abrasive> ; also : a particular mode of living <in high style> c: a particular manner or technique by which something is done, created, or performed <a unique style of horseback riding> <the classical style of dance>
3 a: stylus b: gnomon 1b c: the filiform usually elongated part of the pistil bearing a stigma at its apex — see flower illustration d: a slender elongated process (as a bristle) on an animal
4: a distinctive quality, form, or type of something <a new dress style> <the Greek style of architecture>
5 a: the state of being popular : fashion <clothes that are always in style> b: fashionable elegance c: beauty, grace, or ease of manner or technique <an awkward moment she handled with style>
6: a convention with respect to spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and typographic arrangement and display followed in writing or printing
synonyms see fashion
— style·less \ˈstī(-ə)l-ləs\ adjective
— style·less·ness noun

so... who needs a comprehension check?

Fed Kennedy
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Peter bodo is a such a closeted *******. He's gotta stop the cycle of self loathing and just admit it.

endbegin
06-25-2009, 04:33 AM
he's going to wear a bowtie next year.

malakas
06-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Bodo is desperate that he had to eat his words of Federer being done,so he costantly has to find new ways to burry him.Kinda like veroniquem.
It's quite funny actually.

vtmike
06-25-2009, 04:45 AM
Peter Bozo needs to stop drinking,

http://www.prymetymekennels.com/dogs/HatoradeBANNER.jpg

endbegin
06-25-2009, 04:45 AM
Bodo is desperate that he had to eat his words of Federer being done,so he costantly has to find new ways to burry him.Kinda like veroniquem.
It's quite funny actually.

Yea agree ... couldn't believe someone could be so mad over what someone was wearing. Got to love sports-writers.

vtmike
06-25-2009, 04:46 AM
and Peter Bozo needs to go back to his cave because he is a troll! Can you believe this guy trolls for a living? :shock:

malakas
06-25-2009, 04:47 AM
and Peter Bozo needs to go back to his cave because he is a troll! Can you believe this guy trolls for a living? :shock:

some ppl are just lucky!!!:-?

endbegin
06-25-2009, 04:51 AM

Bodo needs to play some semi-competitive tennis, no matter what level he is at, and he'll stop writing like this. I know Tignor plays, and is therefore so much better in this regard. Don't always agree with Tignor but he does have some good insights about intricacies of the game.

TBobLP
06-25-2009, 04:58 AM
let me introduce you to the wonderfull world of Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: 1style
Pronunciation: \ˈstī(-ə)l\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English stile, style, from Latin stilus spike, stem, stylus, style of writing; perhaps akin to Latin instigare to goad — more at stick
Date: 14th century
1: designation, title
2 a: a distinctive manner of expression (as in writing or speech) <writes with more attention to style than to content> <the flowery style of 18th century prose> b: a distinctive manner or custom of behaving or conducting oneself <the formal style of the court> <his style is abrasive> ; also : a particular mode of living <in high style> c: a particular manner or technique by which something is done, created, or performed <a unique style of horseback riding> <the classical style of dance>
3 a: stylus b: gnomon 1b c: the filiform usually elongated part of the pistil bearing a stigma at its apex — see flower illustration d: a slender elongated process (as a bristle) on an animal
4: a distinctive quality, form, or type of something <a new dress style> <the Greek style of architecture>
5 a: the state of being popular : fashion <clothes that are always in style> b: fashionable elegance c: beauty, grace, or ease of manner or technique <an awkward moment she handled with style>
6: a convention with respect to spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and typographic arrangement and display followed in writing or printing
synonyms see fashion
— style·less \ˈstī(-ə)l-ləs\ adjective
— style·less·ness noun

so... who needs a comprehension check?

ohhh trust me...it's still you, moron. show me in the bolded area anything about fashion or anything else that has anything to do with what the article was about.

why do i even bother with these people? :confused:

TBobLP
06-25-2009, 05:00 AM
All this rubbish about how he dresses just works to devalue the game. it doesnt do a good job of it, but it's certainly not helping. just imagine tennis players in people magazine under the best and worst dressed list or whatever...we dont need that

BorisBeckerFan
06-25-2009, 05:19 AM
I agree that Bodo is anti-Fed so most of his comments on Fed are biased but unfortunately he's right on this one. Look how classy Nike makes Tiger look. Why haven't they done the same for Fed? The the campy tv parody of a cruise ship host line was spot on. Eitherway don't care so much about what he's wearing as long as Fed wins.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Bodo looks like a pig, who the hell is he to criticize Roger's clothes? Roger has the body of a model - he can wear anything.

Polaris
06-25-2009, 05:25 AM
IMO, Roger's "dressing up" this year has been excessive and ill-considered. He and his team ought to understand that this is too much. At the same time, the fact that Bodo has spent so many paragraphs dissing on someone's clothes says more about Bodo that it does about Roger.

It confirms yet again what I have always felt about Bodo. He cares more about the personalities, the sensationalism, the "back story", the interviews, than about the game itself.

icedevil0289
06-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Bodo looks like a pig, who the hell is he to criticize Roger's clothes? Roger has the body of a model - he can wear anything.

eh, I wouldn't say that.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 05:27 AM
IMO, Roger's "dressing up" this year has been excessive and ill-considered. He and his team ought to understand that this is too much. At the same time, the fact that Bodo has spent so many paragraphs dissing on someone's clothes says more about Bodo that it does about Roger.

It confirms yet again what I have always felt about Bodo. He cares more about the personalities, the sensationalism, the "back story" than about the game itself.

That's why at MTF we call him "Bozo".

icedevil0289
06-25-2009, 05:28 AM
That's why at MTF we call him "Bozo".

speaking of mtf, why in the world were you banned?

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 05:30 AM
An ill-considered joke, I'm unbanned by next wednesday.

icedevil0289
06-25-2009, 05:34 AM

aww, okay. We miss you at the castle. I was just confused because I didn't see any posts of yours that would be considered trolling or anything like that. That's good.

malakas
06-25-2009, 05:45 AM

ah!So you are THAT fedfan!!

Brian Purdie
06-25-2009, 05:47 AM
i've never liked Bodo, especially when he got a portion of Pete's own biography WRONG! I don't understand how he can complain about how Nike is creating an image of a "tradiationalist" in Roger Federer as a bad thing.

However...Nike did push Andre into a lot of bad decisions with his image early on before they got some pushback in 1995 from AA. And let's face it, the white leather and gold leaf tennis bag is fit for Sharapova, not Fed. The jacket, is different and modern, but the addition of the banker's vest? It's too much, and I think Fed realized this after the first match. That's why it was toned down yesterday.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 05:48 AM
i've never liked Bodo, especially when he got a portion of Pete's own biography WRONG! I don't understand how he can complain about how Nike is creating an image of a "tradiationalist" in Roger Federer as a bad thing.

However...Nike did push Andre into a lot of bad decisions with his image early on before they got some pushback in 1995 from AA. And let's face it, the white leather and gold leaf tennis bag is fit for Sharapova, not Fed. The jacket, is different and modern, but the addition of the banker's vest? It's too much, and I think Fed realized this after the first match. That's why it was toned down yesterday.

It was hot on Wednesday which is why Fed wasn't in that outfit. If it's cooler on Saturday you'll see it again.

Aabye
06-25-2009, 05:48 AM

It confirms yet again what I have always felt about Bodo. He cares more about the personalities, the sensationalism, the "back story", the interviews, than about the game itself.

A person can't like both?

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 05:49 AM
ah!So you are THAT fedfan!!

Ah yes, I WILL be back. :shock:

Brian Purdie
06-25-2009, 05:50 AM
It was hot on Wednesday.
Didn't realize that.

malakas
06-25-2009, 05:53 AM
Ah yes, I WILL be back. :shock:

now now..you can't threaten us like that!!!:p

skip1969
06-25-2009, 05:53 AM
the funniest thing about this thread is the title. might be the first time anyone's used the words "great" and "peter bodo" in the same sentence.

Stampen
06-25-2009, 05:57 AM
We all know that Roger likes designer clothing, nothing wrong with that.

Women have brought more fashion on to the tennis courts for quite some time, why shouldn't men be allowed to?

But here is what I don't get:

I you are Roger with all sorts of connections in the fashion world:

Why let Nike do the fashion designing instead of a real designer?

This year they made a real mess of it.

/A

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Yeah next time let Anna Wintour design his costume for US Open.

Maybe:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/wikiality/images/thumb/3/35/FreddieMercuryCrownCape.jpg/180px-FreddieMercuryCrownCape.jpg

taffymoon
06-25-2009, 05:59 AM
It's true, Roger looked like a weenie.

FiveO
06-25-2009, 06:03 AM
I don't recall if Bodo commented on it in its various incarnations but I wonder if he offered such opinions on Agassi's choice of attire through his career.

Agassi went through more "looks" than Madonna did. It was hard not to notice but did it matter then? Does it matter now?

Bottom line-Who cares? Well, there's Bodo....but who else?

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 06:08 AM
It's true, Roger looked like a weenie.

That's 14-time slam winning weenie to you!

Aabye
06-25-2009, 06:15 AM
I don't recall if Bodo commented on it in its various incarnations but I wonder if he offered such opinions on Agassi's choice of attire through his career.

Agassi went through more "looks" than Madonna did. It was hard not to notice but did it matter then? Does it matter now?

Bottom line-Who cares? Well, there's Bodo....but who else?

Bodo does actually talk about how silly Agassi looked at points, but as you suggest it really isn't a bid deal.

Polaris
06-25-2009, 06:22 AM
A person can't like both?
You mean, like both Roger and Bodo? Or like both the game and the personalities? In either case, the answer is yes. Certainly, especially in the second case.

It is just that I find it hard to like Bodo. He is good writer, but the material he chooses is not the best IMO.

taffymoon
06-25-2009, 06:22 AM
That's 14-time slam winning weenie to you!

Sir Weenie!

Aabye
06-25-2009, 06:25 AM
You mean, like both Roger and Bodo? Or like both the game and the personalities? In either case, the answer is yes. Certainly, especially in the second case.

It is just that I find it hard to like Bodo. He is good writer, but the material he chooses is not the best IMO.

I meant game and personalities.

Oh well, I agree then. Personally, I think that is a problem with blogs (and podcasts, etc.) in general. Even the best writers often need an editor, and blogs have a habit of turning into streams of consciousness, meaning there's a lot of bunk mixed in.

JoshDragon
06-25-2009, 06:32 AM
I agree with Bodo, Fed's outfit is complete crap. It will probably be even worse next year.

TheMusicLover
06-25-2009, 07:22 AM
I wish I could earn my money with writing crapshit like that.

tahiti
06-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Nice article thanks.

I particularly like the part where he says...

"What next, lipstick and mom's pumps?"

Quite a statement Nike and Roger have made this Wimbledon.

iksmols
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
the funniest thing about this thread is the title. might be the first time anyone's used the words "great" and "peter bodo" in the same sentence.
Bad choice of words , I agree . " Entertaining " is more suitable , I apologize.

Datacipher
06-25-2009, 02:16 PM

consistency check?

Well, the kid has been playing tennis less than a year. Was so overjoyed that he aced his girlfriend for the first time,(whom he has never beaten) a few weeks ago that he started a thread about it. So, yes, to put it in perspective, this kid, doesn't know anything about tennis, tennis marketing, how the pro game actually functions etc.

If he did, he'd realize that Federer's image is carefully managed and the cause of much concern by not only Nike, but the ATP itself and the tennis game as a whole. So, it very much is a relevent factor to the world of tennis.

Additionally, if he'd open his eyes, he'd notice the enormous number of posts on this site alone about player fashions, how/where/what/why can various outfits be bought etc... he probably assumes they are from less "hardcore" players than him, but not everybody can play at the 2.0 level...

Bodo is dead on about this hurting the game. It reinforces stereotypes about it. One thing he did not mention is that, even in the "brightest" days of Agassi, Nike was combining it with a drive to market the game's athleticism, perhaps best illustrated by Agassi and Mac's "wake up the country club" campaign. Fed's outfits, at best, attract no new fans, and at worst, make us all look like fairies.

iksmols
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, the kid has been playing tennis less than a year. Was so overjoyed that he aced his girlfriend for the first time,(whom he has never beaten) a few weeks ago that he started a thread about it. So, yes, to put it in perspective, this kid, doesn't know anything about tennis, tennis marketing, how the pro game actually functions etc.

If he did, he'd realize that Federer's image is carefully managed and the cause of much concern by not only Nike, but the ATP itself and the tennis game as a whole. So, it very much is a relevent factor to the world of tennis.

Additionally, if he'd open his eyes, he'd notice the enormous number of posts on this site alone about player fashions, how/where/what/why can various outfits be bought etc... he probably assumes they are from less "hardcore" players than him, but not everybody can play at the 2.0 level...

Now , this explains everything.

Datacipher
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
1. We're still talking about Roger's outfit - check
2. Roger is still kicking *** on the court - check

Mission accomplished!

People who see the media attention paid to Roger's outfits thinking "tennis is a great sport for feminine men!" - check

Mission accomplished.

Gorecki
06-25-2009, 02:35 PM
ohhh trust me...it's still you, moron. show me in the bolded area anything about fashion or anything else that has anything to do with what the article was about.

why do i even bother with these people? :confused:

hum hum... i like you!

you purposely skipped the best part...

Gorecki
06-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Bodo is dead on about this hurting the game. It reinforces stereotypes about it. One thing he did not mention is that, even in the "brightest" days of Agassi, Nike was combining it with a drive to market the game's athleticism, perhaps best illustrated by Agassi and Mac's "wake up the country club" campaign. Fed's outfits, at best, attract no new fans, and at worst, make us all look like fairies.

TBOBLP... since you refuse to learn from me, at least learn form a English Native speaker like Datacipher (who probably is - i dont know nor i care - as much of a Fed fan as you are) and wake up to life!

cheers Data... nice and balanced post btw!

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't forget for a second that IMG is managing Federer along with other high-profile clients like Tiger Woods. IMG would not allow Federer's image to get sullied. Believe me when I tell you that the outfit is a huge hit among most people. The only ones ragging on Rog are Nad-***** and Fed-haters like Bozo.

Benhur
06-25-2009, 03:30 PM

He does mention his tennis. True that what he wears is irrelevant to his tennis. Still, if he walked on court wearing a black shirt, I think the Wimbledon folks would quickly tell him to go to the locker room and change. If in addition to the black shirt he also wore a cute little swastika or similar other symbols near his left breast, you bet a lot of people would think what he wears does matter. If he walked on court wearing a big red rubber nose, a conical hat covered in polka dots, and pink slippers with pompons, similar reactions should be expected. Of course it would have nothing to do with his tennis.

I think Mr Bodo's pereplexities at Federer's showing up in such disguise, have a point. The point is: what is he trying to express? Does he believe this stuff represents "tradition"? This is beyond "dandification," as Bodo calls it. If a famos boxer showed up on the ring dressed as roman gladiator before stripping down to his shorts, laughs could be expected, and they would not be exactly unjustified. Nore are they unjustified here. I must say I did not exactly laugh when I first saw those pictures. I just grimmaced and shook my head a bit. As you said, I don't really care what he thinks it's cool to wear for these regal tennis occasions. If I were a big fan of his, I would be kind of worried, or even upset. Since I am not, I don't mind if he accepts to lend his body for these farcical and grotesque representations. I just wonder what he thinks he is trying convey. Maybe nothing. Maybe: "Look at me!." Maybe: "I dress like a clown just because I can. So there!" Who knows.
I imagine the money must be good. Whether it's good enought to engage in this kind of commerce is for him to decide. Maybe he needs more money. I can see no other plausible explanation, other than, perhaps, the immense cluelessness that a hypertrophied narcissism brings on its victims when it comes to their capacity to assess their own image.

Federer may be a great player and a good person but his latest fashion statement once again suggests that he wants to be taken for some kind of a swell - which is probably not even remotely close to the truth, but if Roger can't control the message, who can? This latest get-up is something you expect to see on a cruise ship host - check that - someone playing the part of one in a campy television show. It's distressing that Federer, who (admirably enough) claims to love "tradition" should be party to what amounts to a grotesque parody of it. Who's he trying to be, Big Bill Tilden - or some Don Ho cut loose on the greensward?

What's most surprising to me is that Roger doesn't seem to get it. I suspect that the Nike designers and marketing folks must come to him and fill him up with a bunch of hooey about what an "ambassador" he is for all things traditional and he goes all weak in the knees and capitulates to one cockamamie fashion disaster after another. The 14-time Grand Slam champ and budding fashionista turns commercial chump and, like some unsuspecting kid brother, lets his sister and her friends play dress-up with him. What next, lipstick and mom's pumps?

I bring this subject up partly because it has deja vu written all over it, and I'm not just talking about the ongoing process of Roger's dandification. Remember Andre Agassi's early years? Nike dressed Andre up in a series of Bozo the Clown outfits, driven by what probably was a similar urge to overstatement. In context, this goes by the name of client positioning and identification, and unless the client in question is very savvy, the drive to secure him in a niche - and the existence of a niche takes over the process.

In Andre's case, the niche was colorful young rebel, wreaking havoc on a game for old men and ladies prancing around in white. We saw where it led (hot pink spandex running leggings under charcoal gray shorts, among other things) The only thing Nike didn't do in its effort to capture "market share" among mall rats was pass out a free pack of cigarettes with every shirt they sold. And all that hurt Andre among those who didn't see through the ghastly commercial realities of it all.

In Roger's case, the niche is proud and unapologetic snob (or what that talented rebel caught and re-educated early enough could become, kind of like Bob Geldof). And in any event, it's a different, older and wealthier demographic. Roger seems to be standing up to be counted as a lucky, privileged Porsche-driving, mummsy-loving, polo-watching, country club dandy.

Why would anyone want to be portrayed as either of those creatures, you might be inclined to wonder, and are there enough of either type to warrant dumping so much Big Money into these campaigns? That's where it gets a little tricky, but also strategically nuanced. I noticed in the comments the other day that someone remarked that you can't even buy half the stuff you see Roger swanning around in, so what's the point?

I have to confess that I personally never went out to try to find an R/F manpurse, or a blazer with the astrological signs and laurel wreaths all over it, but doesn't it make sense that the stuff isn't available? I mean, if every Tom, Dick and Harry could go out to Target and pick up a Roger Federer Wimbledon blazer, what would that do for Roger's snob appeal, or the underlying theme of these campaigns, which is that he's Roger Federer and you're not?

On the other hand, if you really identify with The Mighty Fed, and have made your peace with the idea that you are not now, nor ever will be, be mistaken for a guy as classy and steeped in tennis tradition as Roger, you can express your fan-love and low self-esteem by scurrying off to the Nike store to buy a really nice $40 white t-shirt with the RF logo on the chest (and it's even bigger than that annoying polo player on the Ralph Lauren shirts, woo hoo!). That ought to be good enough for you, because like we said - he's Roger Federer and you're not.

To some degree, Nike must have been paying attention when its prized tennis client was hobnobbing at all those fashion shows with Anna Wintour. Nobody wears those bizarre costumes you see models parading on the catwalks either, right? They're "art", right? None of you regular folks need to buy or wear that stuff; the t-shirt or, if you must put on airs or want to get closer to the flame, $65 tennis polo ought to be just fine.

Tiger Well, I think it's great that Roger is trying to be mindful of tradition and all that, but we've passed the tipping point on that one. And while I'm not a big golf fan, it seems to me that Nike came a lot closer to getting it right with that other budding immortal, Tiger Woods. Every time I've caught a glimpse of Tiger on a golf course, he's been dressed in really appealing and completely appropriate gear - stuff that's elegant in a streamlined, sporty, functional way. How come Nike declined to dress Tiger in Bobby Jones-style knickers, with a cabbie cap? Could it be that Tiger just said, "No way!"

Roger may enjoy all this elaborate role-playing in a harmless way; down deep he probably thinks it's really cool that he can go out there looking so Brideshead Revisited and still leave opponents bleeding from the eardrums. But I think these costumes really send an awful, reactionary message, and can't help but think that Roger's being naive. It may be cool to look like an utter weenie and then kick buttski left and right, rubbing the dirt of your greatness in everyone's face. But at the end of the day, too many people are going to see Roger's kit and think: Guy's a heckuva tennis player, but he looks like such a weenie. I guess that's still what tennis is all about.

In the big picture, Roger Federer deserves to have a better image than that, and tennis certainly could be better represented as a sport that transcends all the socio-economic associations and stereotypes Federer's recent costumes conjure up. Roger, you're being used. Man up, call and ask Tiger about it.

NamRanger
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Federer's fashion sense sucks. I could do a better job then THAT.

JennyS
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM
He's acting like Roger wore Serena's catsuit!

Datacipher
06-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I can see no other plausible explanation, other than, perhaps, the immense cluelessness that a hypertrophied narcissism brings on its victims when it comes to their capacity to assess their own image.

Well said. I believe this IS the explanation. I don't believe for a second that the money was really an issue or that Federer couldn't have squashed this in a second, if he did not want to do it, with no repercussions toward himself. Besides having questionable taste, he has shown, repeatedly over the years, that he is very concerned with his image, but not always as astute about how he comes across. Should this be suprising? Maybe, by now, since he is older...but the occasional flashes of arrogance when he was younger didn't surprise me. He grew up, like many prodigies in a tennis bubble. He was gifted and sheltered. I thought losing intially on the tour might have matured him a bit, but then when he blossomed, well with the magnitude of the sheer WORSHIP his fans had, should it be any surprise that his perspective has become rather skewed and/or underdeveloped?

I quote from Tiriac when Agassi was first on tour always comes to mind for me, it basically went: "god help him when if he starts losing. What people think is funny or entertaining now will be seen as arrogant and offenseve when he's not winning".

I think Fed would be upset if he really understood what the majority were thinking when they see these displays, but I don't think that he truly believes they are thinking that. I also don't think he has anyone around him, who would laugh their head off at the outfit and say "wtf!!! C'mon, you cannot be serious!!! Roger...you look like a ______". Even a lot of the other "stars" do have friends, coaches, or even other players who will say that to them.

PS. Thanks Gorecki, iksmols

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Well said. I believe this IS the explanation. I don't believe for a second that the money was really an issue or that Federer couldn't have squashed this in a second, if he did not want to do it, with no repercussions toward himself. Besides having questionable taste, he has shown, repeatedly over the years, that he is very concerned with his image, but not always as astute about how he comes across. Should this be suprising? Maybe, by now, since he is older...but the occasional flashes of arrogance when he was younger didn't surprise me. He grew up, like many prodigies in a tennis bubble. He was gifted and sheltered. I thought losing intially on the tour might have matured him a bit, but then when he blossomed, well with the magnitude of the sheer WORSHIP his fans had, should it be any surprise that his perspective has become rather skewed and/or underdeveloped?

I quote from Tiriac when Agassi was first on tour always comes to mind for me, it basically went: "god help him when if he starts losing. What people think is funny or entertaining now will be seen as arrogant and offenseve when he's not winning".

I think Fed would be upset if he really understood what the majority were thinking when they see these displays, but I don't think that he truly believes they are thinking that. I also don't think he has anyone around him, who would laugh their head off at the outfit and say "wtf!!! C'mon, you cannot be serious!!! Roger...you look like a ______". Even a lot of the other "stars" do have friends, coaches, or even other players who will say that to them.

PS. Thanks Gorecki, iksmols

How the hell do you know what the majority of tennis fans think about his outfit? Did you conduct a poll? Don't pretend you speak for the rest of us, because you do NOT. BTW, Roger already has 2 million + fans on his Facebook site. :evil:

iksmols
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
How the hell do you know what the majority of tennis fans think about his outfit? Did you conduct a poll? Don't pretend you speak for the rest of us, because you do NOT. BTW, Roger already has 2 million + fans on his Facebook site. :evil:

You are making the point for " Data" with your post . He talks about people who have the ability to think critically not some 2 million sheep .
Somebody once said " We are called to be people of conviction , not conformity ,of moral nobility,not social respectability...".

dozu
06-25-2009, 04:50 PM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/06/w.html

Bodo is clueless.

Fed is the king, he can wear whatever he wants. Bodo can shut up.

DarthFed
06-25-2009, 05:12 PM
This has to do with tennis how?

Lucky fed..whether it's his tennis, his personal like or the way he dresses someone is always *****ing about him.

At the end of the day bodo is just a journalist and Feds a 14 time slam winner with millions upon millions, and soon to have a happy family.

Bodo is the loser in this situation.

lefty10spro
06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I have recently read somewhere that Fed is the gayest straight man on the planet. Quite funny actually. Doesn't mean I don't love watching his game!

Datacipher
06-25-2009, 06:40 PM

This irrational child-like outburst isn't worthy of a reply. However, for the record, I did not purport to be speaking of you, I simply spoke of my belief that the majority ARE not impressed with such an outfit. I would THINK that even the most rabid Federer fans would agree to that, but obviously not.

In general terms, I think you will find, with even the most superficial analysis, that indeed, most of operate regularly about assumptions on the opinions of the majority WITHOUT polls. For example, I assume most people think OJ killed his ex-wife, I assume most people are opposed to murder, I assume most people do not want to die. The premise that one cannot possibly know what the majority think without a poll, is rather ridiculous.

If you aren't willing to accept the premise itself, that is fine. If you think the majority of the population aare positively impressed by Federer's outfit, you are entitled to say it, just as I am entitled to say the opposite. You would be wrong, and I am right, but that is your right...

PS. oh, and of course, how many "fans" Federer has on a facebook site....whew...lol....do I really have to address how non-sequitur, and juvenile that point is? Oh wow.... illogical on so many levels. Still, wonder how many fans Nadal has on his facebook page....I guess that proves the majority of people in the world enjoy watching him pick his buttocks...wow, I love this way of thinking....stupidity, where have you been all my life??!!!

GuyClinch
06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't like the outfit and Bodo is on point. I really don't like my favorite sport being potrayed as something for country club dandies.

Tennis is a really fun sport - but the reason we can't get male african americans and other racial subgroups involved is because of its sissy image.

USTA doesn't really help with its drive to make people think tennis is so "easy..."

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't like the outfit and Bodo is on point. I really don't like my favorite sport being potrayed as something for country club dandies.

Tennis is a really fun sport - but the reason we can't get male african americans and other racial subgroups involved is because of its sissy image.

USTA doesn't really help with its drive to make people think tennis is so "easy..."

I'm sure they're happy to keep dunking that basketball in da hoop. :shock::shock:

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 08:39 PM
This irrational child-like outburst isn't worthy of a reply. However, for the record, I did not purport to be speaking of you, I simply spoke of my belief that the majority ARE not impressed with such an outfit. I would THINK that even the most rabid Federer fans would agree to that, but obviously not.

In general terms, I think you will find, with even the most superficial analysis, that indeed, most of operate regularly about assumptions on the opinions of the majority WITHOUT polls. For example, I assume most people think OJ killed his ex-wife, I assume most people are opposed to murder, I assume most people do not want to die. The premise that one cannot possibly know what the majority think without a poll, is rather ridiculous.

If you aren't willing to accept the premise itself, that is fine. If you think the majority of the population aare positively impressed by Federer's outfit, you are entitled to say it, just as I am entitled to say the opposite. You would be wrong, and I am right, but that is your right...

PS. oh, and of course, how many "fans" Federer has on a facebook site....whew...lol....do I really have to address how non-sequitur, and juvenile that point is? Oh wow.... illogical on so many levels. Still, wonder how many fans Nadal has on his facebook page....I guess that proves the majority of people in the world enjoy watching him pick his buttocks...wow, I love this way of thinking....stupidity, where have you been all my life??!!!

Nadal doesn't have a Facebook site. Tiger Woods does and he has only 600K fans. Fed only established his site a month ago and it accrued 2 million+ in that time. Fed is the most beloved sportsman on the planet!

egn
06-25-2009, 09:28 PM
wow that was a really boring long read all to say Fed is a sellout to nike and seems to contradict himself on tradition by busting out theatrical outfits.

I just summed that whole article up in a sentence...don't read it.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Fed is a transcendent athlete. Not only does he play the best tennis ever seen, he sets fashion trends. Not bad for a guy with so-so looks.

Benhur
06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Fed is a transcendent athlete. Not only does he play the best tennis ever seen, he sets fashion trends. Not bad for a guy with so-so looks.

He sets fashion trends?? Are you planning on going on a tennis court wearing those outfits? If not, where would you wear them? In a year-end party of Turkish navy officers? What kind of fashion is that? If he is supposed to represent tradition, what tradition is there for people posing as fashion models on Wimbledon's center court? Did Borg dress up as a Swedish navy Captain or something?

Michael Jackson has just died. I thought of him as the most extreme case of rampant narcissism blinding a person to their own image. Did anybody tell that guy that he looked a lot better before he became thin-nosed and pale? They should have. If Federer is about tradition, what traditional precedent is there for tennis players using Wimbledon's center court as a circus platform for gaudy outfits? He is indeed a great tennis player. But he looks like an imbecile with those clothes on THAT venue. Somebody should tell him that to his face.

iksmols
06-25-2009, 10:20 PM
He sets fashion trends?? Are you planning on going on a tennis court wearing those outfits? If not, where would you wear them? In a year-end party of Turkish navy officers? What kind of fashion is that? If he is supposed to represent tradition, what tradition is there for people posing as fashion models on Wimbledon's center court? Did Borg dress up as a Swedish navy Captain or something?

Michael Jackson has just died. I thought of him as the most extreme case of rampant narcissism blinding a person to their own image. Did anybody tell that guy that he looked a lot better before he became thin-nosed and pale? They should have. If Federer is about tradition, what traditional precedent is there for tennis players using Wimbledon's center court as a circus platform for gaudy outfits? He is indeed a great tennis player. But he looks like an imbecile with those clothes on THAT venue. Somebody should tell him that to his face.
Excellent post " Benhur"! . Apparently we need more critical minds like you.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 10:29 PM

Let the hate flow through you....

zagor
06-25-2009, 11:25 PM

Haha great post Benhur.I agree,I'm a big fan of Fed,he'll always be my favourite player bar none but I really wish he would just ditch the ridiculous outfit and especially that damn golden bag.He's just reinforcing stereotypes many non-tennis fans have about our sport.

I wish he would get back to that cool ponytail look he had years ago,was really looking badass then.This year I think he really over did it and yes I also hope someone tells him that.

zagor
06-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Let the hate flow through you....

No,Benhur doesn't hate Fed.On the contrary I've heard him say plenty of time how great player Fed is and how much he appreciates Fed's tennis.He just doesn't like Fed's outfit this year,he's hardly alone in that.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I agree with bodo....fed's the one wearing the outfit.....why???

i think bodo trying to answer this question.

If you took you're basketball kobe and shaq loving american to wimbledon..

and fed walked out like that...they might ask:

"So does he play in those clothes?"

If fed didn't wear those outfits there's no story on fed..

rather than criticise bodo...try answering this question:

Why does fed do it?

Datacipher
06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
I wish he would get back to that cool ponytail look he had years ago,was really looking badass then.This year I think he really over did it and yes I also hope someone tells him that.

yes, besides the Tiriac quote, I'm also reminded of a story, that I think was in the book Hardcourts. In it, Lendl was preparing to go on court with his new Mizuno wear. An official basically told Ivan that his shirt with an eagle on it looked like total crap! Lendl took in humour and told him that if he were getting paid what Mizuno paid him, he'd wear it to!

With some of Fed's wimbly outfits, I can only dream he'd show up with an eagle shirt! But I guarantee, if Mizuno has asked Lendl to wear these outfits, he'd have told them to stuff it. By that same token I doubt their is a single person on tour who would say to Roger "my god! that's ugly!"....because they know...he thinks it's good!

OTMPut
06-26-2009, 01:05 AM
II really don't like my favorite sport being potrayed as something for country club dandies.

Unfortunately that is true. Tennis has been always elitist.

It will never have the same appeal of football (not the american variety) where you see amazing talents develop in the slums of south america.

mandy01
06-26-2009, 01:20 AM
What I have a problem with is people calling Roger arrogant because of one outfit he wears at a tournament he loves most dearly..he's made it clear that his intention was just to blend a bit of tradition and modernism.
Yet people want to jump on him for no reason.
The outfit he's wearing isnt great..but its in no way worse than clamdiggers or shocking pink shirts with electric yellow stripes or something.
Could he have done a better job? yes.
Is he arrogant because he likes to look old-school type at Wimbly? No.
And while I agree the jacket aint great I personally liked the waistcoat.The whole outfit though is nothing to speak of
As for Bozo's article-What he has again done is to write an article full of snide remarks.

Datacipher
06-26-2009, 12:28 PM
What I have a problem with is people calling Roger arrogant because of one outfit he wears at a tournament he loves most dearly..he's made it clear that his intention was just to blend a bit of tradition and modernism.

Who did that? Sounds like another straw man or comprehension problem.

Yet people want to jump on him for no reason.

I think the reason has been discussed ad nauseum at this point. It was the subject of the original article, and numerous opinions here. Again, comprehension problem....

Defcon
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I stopped reading at "Great post by Peter Bodo" - that's a contradiction right there!

Only Bozo could write 15 paragraphs of fluff about a goddamn jacket. And the last thing Roger needs is take advice from the likes of Bozo, who's spent most of last year hating and criticizing him.

Polaris
06-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I can see no other plausible explanation, other than, perhaps, the immense cluelessness that a hypertrophied narcissism brings on its victims when it comes to their capacity to assess their own image.This is a plausible explanation and could have stood alone by itself. Someone must tell Roger that he might be getting carried away. The jacket thing has gone too far. That sort of finery has no place on a tennis court. You hit the nail right on the head.

It is pity that the jewel quoted above had to be buried under the excessive verbiage that your inherent bias forces you to spout on these forums. The swastika reference is almost as uncorrelated and weird as Bodo's penchant for devoting endless paragraphs on somebody's clothes.

FedFan_2009
06-26-2009, 01:38 PM
BTW did Fed wear the jacket today?

DunlopDood
06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm not a huge fan of bodo's articles, but he took the words right out of my mouth. When I saw him sport the white suit vest durring a warm up, it really made me question this guy's character a bit. Compare Fed to Sampras. Sampras never gave into this blatant commercialism, he was himself throughout his career and didn't have to play dress up to prove his greatness. As the face of tennis Federer should strive to promote tennis among regular people, not some country club snobs. Tomorrows future stars hone their craft on public courts, not at country clubs.

FedFan_2009
06-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm not a huge fan of bodo's articles, but he took the words right out of my mouth. When I saw him sport the white suit vest durring a warm up, it really made me question this guy's character a bit. Compare Fed to Sampras. Sampras never gave into this blatant commercialism, he was himself throughout his career and didn't have to play dress up to prove his greatness. As the face of tennis Federer should strive to promote tennis among regular people, not some country club snobs. Tomorrows future stars hone their craft on public courts, not at country clubs.

You're an idiot if you think people who play on public courts are offended by Federer's choice of clothes. 99% of the people admire his game and don't give a fig about all that other stuff. TROLL!!!!

Benhur
06-26-2009, 04:51 PM
This is a plausible explanation and could have stood alone by itself. Someone must tell Roger that he might be getting carried away. The jacket thing has gone too far. That sort of finery has no place on a tennis court. You hit the nail right on the head.

It is pity that the jewel quoted above had to be buried under the excessive verbiage that your inherent bias forces you to spout on these forums. The swastika reference is almost as uncorrelated and weird as Bodo's penchant for devoting endless paragraphs on somebody's clothes.

Glad we agree on something. Of course all my other comments and comparisons were only meant to suggest that showing up in such extravagantly gaudy disguise on Wimbledon's centercourt is not a meaningless trivial act, and it should be expected to elicit strong reactions that have nothing to do with one's appreciation of the man's tennis. I am fairly sure that most fans of Federer must have cringed at least slightly when they saw that.

FedFan_2009
06-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Glad we agree on something. Of course all my other comments and comparisons were only meant to suggest that showing up in such extravagantly gaudy disguise on Wimbledon's centercourt is not a meaningless trivial act, and it should be expected to elicit strong reactions that have nothing to do with one's appreciation of the man's tennis. I am fairly sure that most fans of Federer must have cringed at least slightly when they saw that.

I didn't cringe, I was amused.

mandy01
06-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Who did that? Sounds like another straw man or comprehension problem. Go look at the posts of some *******s(this isnt the only thread about Fed's outfit) then come back.