PDA

View Full Version : Agassi's serve

ericsson
06-25-2009, 12:48 AM
I was watching a docu about Wimbledon last night, i noticed that Andre in his Donnay era used a special serve move, first get the racket behind his back and then toss, i don't really like that, reminds of some South-American players who did that too. Anyway, does anyone know when he stopped that and moved to a regular serve??

chrisdaniel
06-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Yeah, he did this around the time he had a wrist injury. I believe in the 1993 Wimbledon he is still doing that serve. By the time he won the U.S. Open in 94 his serve was back to normal.

SOY78
06-25-2009, 07:49 AM
I remember watching that and thinking what the hell is he doing. Then my high school friend started to serve like that. It just looked weird and awkward.

Datacipher
06-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Agassi has gone through several distinct incarnations on his serve, varying both toss height, location, stance, knee bend, arm motion and a few other things!

But by 1993 Wimbledon, Agassi was using Head racquets. So, if it's a previous serve motion you're speaking of, I can probably tell you about it, if you can be more specific. If it is the very distinct Wimbledon 1993 swing, you're talking about, that ONLY happened for a few weeks through Wimbledon 1993! Indeed, as another poster mentioned, he was coming off injury, overweight and underpracticed. He tried it in practice and just thought it felt right. He actually served very well with it, through Wimbledon. Shortly thereafter, he went back to a full swing, and by the USO, his serve looked a lot like the version he had been using before the injury. And yes, it does remind somewhat of people like Jay Berger or Gonzalez.