PDA

View Full Version : Commentators: "Koozie" is seen by some as a brutal insult

IvanYentl
06-25-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm guessing Brad Gilbert does not know this, but his constant use of the nickname "Koozie" during Svetlana Kuznetsova's matches is invoking a rather vulgar noun that can be found in the urban dictionary with minimal effort. Some of us heard this noun used as a brutal insult growing up, and I'm guessing there must be more than one person (me) out there who is having flashbacks when Gilbert uses this nickname.

So, here's my vote for doing away with "Koozie" permanently and going with "Sveta." Brad, if you're reading this, please consider this suggestion.

Below are references of note. This information has been cleansed to avoid offending anyone. However, if you go to urbandicionary.com, be aware that much of the language on the website is not safe for work:

urbandictionary.com, type in the word c - - ze

Film reference: Visionquest 1985:

Elmo: [looks at Louden's book] What the $%#@ is this?
Louden Swain: What? You don't recognize it?
Elmo: Wait a minute! This is c -- ze!
Louden Swain: Yeah, I'm thinking very seriously of becoming a gynecologist
Elmo: A c -- ze doctor in outer space? Man, you're flippin' out!

rockbox
06-25-2009, 05:23 AM
A koozie is something that keeps my beer cold.

IvanYentl
06-25-2009, 05:25 AM
A koozie is something that keeps my beer cold.

I guess that's a bit better than my reference, but still not good for Svetlana!! ;-)

malakas
06-25-2009, 05:26 AM
first time I hear this is an insult.It's her nickname what to do..

Chase
06-25-2009, 05:26 AM
i don't watch US commentary...but maybe he's saying 'kuzzie' and it sounds like whatever word you think it is?

IvanYentl
06-25-2009, 05:27 AM
i don't watch US commentary...but maybe he's saying 'kuzzie' and it sounds like whatever word you think it is?

Trust me, he is saying "Koozie"

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-25-2009, 06:30 AM

You do realize the slang you refer to is not known by the average person? Other descriptive terms are more widely known for a certain part of the anatomy, but "koozie" is not one of them, and thus fails to add shock or outrage--especially when the word is known more for Kuznetsova's sound-alike nickname (to tennis fans, anyway) than anything else.

Al Czervik
06-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Then take it up with Martina, too, who I have heard call her Kootsie. Gilbert is probably just butchering it. Lighten up.

taffymoon
06-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Can't the Bozo just learn to say her name?

skip1969
06-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Then take it up with Martina, too, who I have heard call her Kootsie. Gilbert is probably just butchering it. Lighten up.
i agree. gilbert is such a tool. i've noticed he's very keen on the nicknames this tourney. usually it's just the stupid ones he makes up. but now he's taken to calling every player by a nickname to show how cool he is.

ATXtennisaddict
06-25-2009, 07:04 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=koozie

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coozie

LOL, one means "sweet", another means "pubes". LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Kegzz
06-25-2009, 08:02 AM
I believe people call her Kuzi/Kuzzi and that's what they were doing.

I personally prefer Sveta. Less confusion that way. :)

TheNatural
06-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Alicia Molik always called her kuzie and they were buddies.

TheNatural
06-25-2009, 08:10 AM

It must be the yank accent.

PimpMyGame
06-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Well Gilbert is a teenuck which he wouldn't be too happy about but I doubt he's heard it so never mind, eh?

sureshs
06-25-2009, 08:16 AM
It is Kutzy. In an interview, she herself said it was one her nicknames, along with Sveta.

malakas
06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
You can't check what her nickname means in all the languages and dialects and obscure not used words.

BTW,Murray's nickname Muzza is offensive in greek.

CCNM
06-25-2009, 08:42 AM
I also thought a Koozie was that thing you put your beer/soda can in to keep it cold. Had no idea it could be offensive. I guess I'll have to call her Sveta the cutie now.

cknobman
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Would it be ok to call her Thunder Thighs?

Man that woman has some huge legs!

orangettecoleman
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Would it be ok to call her Thunder Thighs?

Man that woman has some huge legs!

It's all muscle. Probably one of the most fit players on either tour for sure.
Anyway, to me that nickname refers to one of these:
http://www.foureyesjokeshop.com/ProductImages/gaggifts/50th%20Birthday%20Beer%20Coozie.jpg
in my mind anyway, that just means she'd be fun to hang out and toss back a few with. which is probably true.