PDA

View Full Version : Why do the commentators call Hewitt Rusty?

tennismsands
06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I was watching the Del Potro vs Hewitt match and was rooting for Hewitt since i predicted him to beat Del Potro and i can't believe he did, and anyways the announcers on ESPN all called Hewiit rusty. Does anyone know why??

theduh
06-25-2009, 07:33 AM
I was watching the Del Potro vs Hewitt match and was rooting for Hewitt since i predicted him to beat Del Potro and i can't believe he did, and anyways the announcers on ESPN all called Hewiit rusty. Does anyone know why??

That's Hewitt's nickname.

godukedevils
06-25-2009, 07:36 AM
It's a reference to Rusty Griswold, the son in the National Lampoon's Vacation movies. It seems that when Darren Cahill first encountered Lleyton (who was then quite young) he reminded him of this character from the Vacation movies, particularly from the first movie played by Anthony Michael Hall.

I know, it's pretty goofy but fits with the general goofiness of ESPN's crew.

tennismsands
06-25-2009, 07:38 AM
ok thanks! :)

rommil
06-25-2009, 07:41 AM
I think he has that nickname engraved on his rackets as well....

charliefedererer
06-25-2009, 07:55 AM
From Lleyton's website:

What is you Nickname and why?

Rusty. Darren Cahill when he coached me called my family the Griswalds, after the National Lampoon movies series starring Chevy Chase. The boy in the Griswald family was called Rusty and it has stuck!

http://www.lleytonandbechewitt.com/content/blogcategory/21/43/

This web article gets it wrong:

"Lleyton Hewitt 2nd round at Wimbledon
Earning the nickname "Rusty Hewitt" because of his lack of outstanding play these past years, he's proven a little less rusty than everyone assumed. The Wimbledon comentators might just have to come up with another name for him, like winner."
http://hubpages.com/hub/ElleReviews

sureshs
06-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Because he was not rusty at all in the match.

What is wrong with Del Potro? Why can't he use his height to just trample a shorty like Hewitt? Hewitt was just passing him like crazy whenever he came to the net.

nadal for number1
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
its his nickname!

baseliner
06-25-2009, 08:39 AM
wonder who cousin Eddie will be

tennismsands
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
its his nickname!

I know its his nickname and i was wondering why, hence the reason i posted this thread!

FlamEnemY
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I always thought it was his nickname because of him losing a step and all...

tacou
06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
It's a reference to Rusty Griswold, the son in the National Lampoon's Vacation movies. It seems that when Darren Cahill first encountered Lleyton (who was then quite young) he reminded him of this character from the Vacation movies, particularly from the first movie played by Anthony Michael Hall.

I know, it's pretty goofy but fits with the general goofiness of ESPN's crew.
haha wow amazing.

no it's cause he listened to rocky music before matches and it's a scrapper.

tacou
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
^ ^ yes it's his nickname of course...but I'm pretty sure he got it from his style of play (Rusty implies small.counter puncher) and Rocky music! seriously.

LetFirstServe
06-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Because he was not rusty at all in the match.

What is wrong with Del Potro? Why can't he use his height to just trample a shorty like Hewitt? Hewitt was just passing him like crazy whenever he came to the net.

ah yes....we can appriciate that irony in this thread. :)