PDA

View Full Version : Venus plays so well here at Wimbledon

LanceStern
06-25-2009, 08:17 AM
She hits ridiculously hard from both the forehand and backhand, serves bigger than any of the women (and bigger than some men) and covers a lot of ground.

She isn't afraid to go to the net either, and puts the volleys away well.

It's a joy watching her play at Wimbledon. And Serena has been stepping her game up on the grass courts since 2008 to where she is like a slightly less version of Venus.

Hope to see them in the final, or at least they make their respective semis

sureshs
06-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Which men serve less big than Venus?

Guru
06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah she's just so good.

LanceStern
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Which men serve less big than Venus?

2007 She averaged a bigger serve speed than both Federer and Nadal in matches.

Let me see if I can find any statistics for 09 so far.

sureshs
06-25-2009, 08:28 AM
2007 She averaged a bigger serve speed than both Federer and Nadal in matches.

Let me see if I can find any statistics for 09 so far.

I don't believe that.

LanceStern
06-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't believe that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...reg&id=3472238

Last year at Wimbledon Nadal averaged 115.
Venus Williams averaged 116 mph in the Wimbledon semifinal last year.

''It also is no surprise that Venus has enjoyed such success here, on a surface that rewards a massive serve like no other, because hers is a massive serve like no other. At Wimbledon last year Williams served 38 aces in seven matches, including one that equalled her record for the fastest serve on the women's tour of 129mph. In five of those matches her average first serve speed was 110mph or faster. To put that in context, the average speed of Rafael Nadal's first serve in the men's final was 112mph. She won 73% of the points on her first serve.''

So on occasion, yes, she does.

Believe!

sureshs
06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
But it must have a lot less spin on it

tudwell
06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like two people this year are going to win their 6th Wimbledon title.

Guru
06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
She's a great player anyway but she steps up about 10 levels on center court.
She's just so good at Wimbledon. Almost untouchable.

grafrules
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Venus today:

Mediocre on slow hard court
Sucks on clay
Excellent on fast hard courts
Nearly untouchable on grass still

Nadal_Freak
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
She loves the fast grass here at Wimbledon. No surprise there.

ChanceEncounter
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I like Venus much more than I like Serena, so go Vee!

フェデラー
06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
always great to see obvious facts restated over and over again

Mansewerz
06-25-2009, 06:21 PM

This is trolling at best. You're just asking for a rise out of people that the grass at wimbledon has not slowed down. It has slowed down considerably.

ChanceEncounter
06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.tmonews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

フェデラー
06-25-2009, 06:37 PM

http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg

TennisPassion5
06-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeh, playing with a 104 sq. inch racket. I think anyone could have such explosive shots with it.

draconis228
06-25-2009, 08:30 PM
LOL Love the lawl cat. But yes Venus is sure a joy to watch on grass!

valiant
06-26-2009, 01:20 AM
I liked the KAT too. I like venus on grass and i hope she wins. :D

chess9
06-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Great cat pic!

-Robert

Nadal_Freak
06-26-2009, 07:12 AM
http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg
Prove it otherwise than some stupid picture because you don't agree.

LanceStern
06-29-2009, 09:41 PM
In no way did he Nad_freak troll.

Anyways, these williams sisters are making their opponents look like beginning-level players when they step out on court. And that's not even an understatement.

They aren't struggling at all

miyagi
06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Venus plays great here....

I want an all Williams final

Grass_for_cows
06-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeh, playing with a 104 sq. inch racket. I think anyone could have such explosive shots with it.

Good call. The rest of the WTA field should catch on to this and use large tennis rackets (maybe even larger than 104 sq. inch?) so they can start winning Wimbledons. I heard some of them even play without a racket at all, which puts them at a huge disadvantage obviously in the return game.

LanceStern
06-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I should update this topic, because man the thrashing they gave Radwanska and Azarenka today was amazing.

The power they have. Serena didn't even grunt in the first set, she just silently overpowered Azarenka with hard shot after hard shot. She used a smart defensive backhand too.

Venus just goes out there, serves big, steps in on every short ball and RIPS it. She volleys great too. She has racke dup an impressive 32 straight sets starting from Wimbledon 2007!

They are unstoppable so far here at Wimbledon

The-Champ
06-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I should update this topic, because man the thrashing they gave Radwanska and Azarenka today was amazing.

The power they have. Serena didn't even grunt in the first set, she just silently overpowered Azarenka with hard shot after hard shot. She used a smart defensive backhand too.

Venus just goes out there, serves big, steps in on every short ball and RIPS it. She volleys great too. She has racke dup an impressive 32 straight sets starting from Wimbledon 2007!

They are unstoppable so far here at Wimbledon

Venus is untouchable this year again. I don't know what it is that elevates the williams' game everytime they play on grass. What I don't understand though is that, venus should be at least as intimidating at the USO (knowing its the "fastest slam"), she has done well there but hardly comparable results.

I would think the sisters love playing on grass, just like Rafa. It doesn't matter if its fast or slow. It's the GRASS itself. Just what Pete said: "grass is grass, fast or slow".

zagor
06-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah,Venus is kicking *** at Wimbledon as usual,this is her second home.

http://www.tmonews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Lol,that's such a great pic.

zagor
06-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Venus is untouchable this year again. I don't know what it is that elevates the williams' game everytime they play on grass. What I don't understand though is that, venus should be at least as intimidating at the USO (knowing its the "fastest slam"), she has done well there but hardly comparable results.

I would think the sisters love playing on grass, just like Rafa. It doesn't matter if its fast or slow. It's the GRASS itself. Just what Pete said: "grass is grass, fast or slow".

Athleticism always comes into play on grass big time and the Williams sisters and Nadal are all great athletes.The grass has slowed down but still rewards athleticism and shotmaking,no doubt about that.

flying24
06-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Venus has been only one match and one opponent away from the U.S Open title each of 2005, 2007, 2008, years she won Wimbledon. 2005 she lost a tough 3 setter to Clijsters in the defacto final. 2007 she lost a tough 2 setter to Henin in what was that years defacto final. 2008 it appears she lost a staged match to Serena in the quarters which she should have won but submissively followed her fathers apparent orders to lose in the defacto final. So there isnt that much difference if you think about it.

You are forgetting too that the other women all SUCK on grass. Even Henin wasnt that great on grass, her worst surface by far, and the rest of the top players left that she is gone that arent Williams all suck royally on grass. Sharapova and Mauresmo are the only other recent top players not named Williams who can be excellent on grass. So Venus has much more competitition to do well at the U.S Open than Wimbledon as the depth of the field is much more on hard courts than grass. Most of todays women play their best on hard courts and their worst on grass. At Wimbledon alot of her dominance is that she has no competent competition at all there other than her sister. I mean look at the semifinalists of Wimbedon in recent years- Ivanovic, some 100 something ranked Chinese girl, Dementieva twice (worst surface by far and back to back semis now with no serve, no volley, and no slice), and Safina, and Bartoli in the finals.

2004 she didnt do well at Wimbledon or anywhere, ditto for 2006. 2002 and 2003 she had the same results in all the slams outside the 2001 Australian and 2002 French. Losing to Serena in the finals. 2000 and 2001 she had the same result at the U.S Open as Wimbledon- champion.

NamRanger
06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Venus is just a superior mover on grass compared to everyone else. Couple that with her big shots, that is why she is so successful on the grass.

Oui, c'est moi.
06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
What's with all the Nadal Freak sig quotes? :lol: I feel like i've missed out on a new trend here.

LanceStern
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
neither Serena nor Venus have lost a set at Wimbledon 09 in singles or doubles.

They beat the 06 Wimbledon doubles champions (Zheng Jie and Yan) 6-0 and 6-0 last night in 46 minutes!

O_O

Nadal_Freak
06-30-2009, 11:40 AM
What's with all the Nadal Freak sig quotes? :lol: I feel like i've missed out on a new trend here.
They all come *******s. I don't understand why Fed is so popular but I guess I gotta live with it.

EtePras
06-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Venus has a better serve than Federer (but not as good as Nadal since he has spin and placement too and saves a billion break points vs Federer) so it's very understandable why she can dominate on a fast surface that favors serve-only players. Even though she's not in her prime anymore.

bebots
06-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah there's no competition for Venus or Serena on grass. Especially Venus, no drama, just cruises with so much confidence. One thing Venus does better than Serena is volley, she's an elegant volleyer with nice touch to go along with her own power, Serena has a more raw power baseline game. I would like some drama though, someone to challenge them on this stuff. Dementieva and Safina will be annihilated. I can't believe Justine didn't stick around to see if she could win a Wimbledon, disappointing and bewildering.

LanceStern
06-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Venus has a better serve than Federer (but not as good as Nadal since he has spin and placement too and saves a billion break points vs Federer) so it's very understandable why she can dominate on a fast surface that favors serve-only players. Even though she's not in her prime anymore.

I usually respond to posts like this, because I can't see any sarcasm or jokes.

But I'm going to just start setting it on ignore.

TheNatural
06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Venus has a poor forehand, she loses control of it very very easily unless shes just playing very safe. Her athleticism is what stands out.

I think Serena will win it this year.

LanceStern
06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Venus has a poor forehand, she loses control of it very very easily unless shes just playing very safe. Her athleticism is what stands out.

I've noticed she doesn't aim it too well. Like she often hits big to the center of the court or a little bit off the center. Serena and other women hit it into corners and lines.

What's crazy is Venus has such a consistently hard forehand that the opponent coughs up a short ball. Then she gets to the short ball extremely fast and THAT'S when the forehand clicks and it's usually over then. It's too fast and sharp for the opponent to catch.

grafselesfan
06-30-2009, 11:52 PM

On any other surface Serena over Venus right now would be an easy call. On grass I think Venus has a good shot, but Serena could well take it even on grass.