PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Wimbledon Schedulers so bad?

clayman2000
06-25-2009, 10:48 AM
For tommorow's schedule, Azarenka is the top women on center court, and Serena is on court 2. For some strange reason, Cilic is once again on one of the top 2 courts, and a guy like Verdasco, who has quite a following is on court 2.

Today, 5 time champ Venus was on Court 1. Do you think Roger would ever be put on court 1. In fact in the last 4 years, Rogers only been there once. And while Safina is not great on grass, i cant se why she would be on court 2 while Wozniacki is on center.

I know the Wimby organizers want to give different players a chance on center, but then why do players like Federer never leave center court

joeri888
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
i think they are actually GREAT schedulers. Okay, Federer and Murray are HUGE for public relations so they need them on Centre, but other than that they just try to pick competitive matches, which is very good imo.

Tommy haas-Marin Cilic, Djokovic-Fish and Tsonga-Karlovic all make sense to me. They are highly competitive on paper, while Verdasco-Montanes isn't imo. At least they both aren't great on grass at it doesn't strike me as a great match.. I would have done exactly the same at least in the men's draw. Kirilenko-Wozniacki was good too to put on centre obviously. it's not about the highest seed only, it's also about chosing a match that can be great.

Azarenka en Cristea both look good btw

AAAA
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
It's not all about seeding. The 'appeal' of the match to the majority of the spectators, to the marketing people and to the TV networks also influence proceedings. Without Nadal, Federer is top dog as far as achievements go plus he is pleasing to watch game wise = Centre court until he loses 'appeal'.

Kirilenko-Wozniaki on centre court - these two are marketed as WTA pin-ups = favourable consideration for centre court plus Wozniaki is billed as a rising star.

Murray as a brit = local spectator interest = good chance to be on centre court.

Megreen
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I think when it comes down to all the thought that goes into scheduling these matches we're probably not even aware of half the factors the W. organizers need to and do consider. That being said I agree with you when it comes to Safina being on court 2 or the women's draw in general for that matter. It would be interesting to get a behind the scenes expo on how an event like this is organized and scheduled.

Giggs The Red Devil
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/feedback/questions.html

Ask them and tell us what they say.

woodrow1029
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
IMO, the scheduling is very good consistently at all 4 of the majors. Granted, there are going to be times when some people think that certain matches shouldn't be where they are, but most of the time, the majority would want that match where it is. The schedulers at the Grand Slams don't only have the fans in person to please, they have countless national TV networks that are all trying to get their top players on certain courts. It is not an easy job. You should see the scheduling room at the US Open. It's a zoo in there.

leonidas1982
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
The best thing about Wimbledon is that they don't dance to the tune of the networks when it comes to scheduling. US Open is the worst, followed by Australian. They schedule "matches" people want to see not "players". Also, Court 1 and 2 are show courts with hawkeye; I don't see anything wrong playing there -- it's equatable to playing in Armstrong or Grandstand arena.

JeMar
06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
They dance to the tune of the BBC.

leonidas1982
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
They dance to the tune of the BBC.

Only in regard to British players as one should expect. That makes perfect sense in my opinion; it's similar to how Australia, France, and US does there's in regards to domestic hopefuls. The difference is how they schedule non-domestic players; hence, one would see Serena and Federer and Sharapova and Djokovic -- marquis players -- scheduled to play simultaneously. In the US and Australia first and second round matches are drawn over 5 days; French is 4.

Feņa14
06-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I was on Court 1 today and it was an excellent schedule.

People seem to view the women's matches as something they have to endure before they can get to the real stuff. I was there on both Thursday and Friday, it was a blessing they were both over quickly.

As for the mens today, Karlovic v Tsonga was a hell of a match and I think the fact that the average British fan knew both players was the reason they were put on court over Verdasco and Montanes. As for Cilic and Haas? It was the match the fans on court were most into so no complaints there either.

Guru
06-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Do you think Roger would ever be put on court 1. In fact in the last 4 years, Rogers only been there once. And while Safina is not great on grass, i cant se why she would be on court 2 while Wozniacki is on center.

Federer owns center court :) it's his house
enter and you get a master class in Tennis.

People want to see the great man in action on center court
i think he's earned the right and the people agree because his matches are packed out.

As for Safina who likes her? she doesn't have much of a fanbase
Wozniacki not only has a bigger fanbase but she won the warm up title on grass.

Emelia21
06-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Federer owns center court :) it's his house
enter and you get a master class in Tennis.

People want to see the great man in action on center court
i think he's earned the right and the people agree because his matches are packed out.

As for Safina who likes her? she doesn't have much of a fanbase
Wozniacki not only has a bigger fanbase but she won the warm up title on grass.

:shock: Poor Safina :cry: :cry: She has a fan base, its not on here, then again the WTA is not that popular on here

pound cat
06-26-2009, 06:20 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/feedback/questions.html

Ask them and tell us what they say.

Answer:

Court 2 is newlly expanded and re-configured & has 4,000 seats, all with terrific sight lines and all fans are close to the court. It's also liked by players because it has an intimate, yet classy setting. Serena played there the other day, Safina also. & again on Sarurday. Players are there because they have fan appeal, not as a punishement. They like being there because it doesn't have the cold atmophere that #1 does.

I thnk that TV networks have a lot to do with who gets to play on Centre Court....the old audience/numbers game.

Noveson
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
For tommorow's schedule, Azarenka is the top women on center court, and Serena is on court 2. For some strange reason, Cilic is once again on one of the top 2 courts, and a guy like Verdasco, who has quite a following is on court 2.

Today, 5 time champ Venus was on Court 1. Do you think Roger would ever be put on court 1. In fact in the last 4 years, Rogers only been there once. And while Safina is not great on grass, i cant se why she would be on court 2 while Wozniacki is on center.

I know the Wimby organizers want to give different players a chance on center, but then why do players like Federer never leave center court

I know I feel somewhat bad that my favorite player is playing on a worse court because of me. Hope he doesn't lose.

leonidas1982
06-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Furthermore, to demonstrate how the AELTC does not dance to the tune of broadcasters, Wimbledon schedules all R16 matches on Monday. Which means, you'll get some big names and potentially exciting matches on the outside courts. No other slam can dictate to the broadcasters as does Wimbledon. And at the same time, Wimbledon pulls in the higher ratings.