PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon bad TV coverage..........

marpiw
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
In this first days of the tournament I've only seen men's matches and women are olimpically ignored by the media.
Does this mean that the WTA is not anymore popular for the TV and that only starting with quarterfinals the women are important and covered?.Is female tennis irrelevant the first days?

theduh
06-25-2009, 11:27 AM
^^^ WTA is not that competitive. Chokefest and the scarier part of this is that even top players choke. See Safina on AO and FO finals just unbelievable.

leonidas1982
06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Yesterday, ESPN focused on S Williams and Sharapova over Djokovic and Federer. They even showed a female doubles' match today.

Mick
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Yesterday, ESPN focused on S Williams and Sharapova over Djokovic and Federer. They even showed a female doubles' match today.

they actually showed the sharapova match twice ! :shock:

at the beginning and at the end of the telecast.

leonidas1982
06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
yep, I would argue that ESPN puts an emphasis on the top WTA ballers.

Tennis_Maestro
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
WTA?

Sorry, what is that?

Women play tennis? Huh? What?

The-Fed-Express
06-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't know about the US coverage, but the BBC devote equal time to both the men and women.

leonidas1982
06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
A 5-setter going on, but ESPN will show a taped match instead.

theduh
06-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I feel for the American fans. You should write a letter to ESPN to show more LIVE ATP and WTA tennis.

Nadal_Freak
06-25-2009, 12:48 PM
WTA should be skipped altogether. Or have another network take over it.

jmsala
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
In Spain one channel is broadcasting all kind of matches all day long. I've watched men and women in about same proportion.

SempreSami
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
The BBC were showing Venus Williams' match as the main thing instead of Del Potro - Hewitt. Thank god for the multiscreen option.

Devilito
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM

w3rd: Oxygen or Life lol

The-Fed-Express
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
The BBC were showing Venus Williams' match as the main thing instead of Del Potro - Hewitt. Thank god for the multiscreen option.
Yes, it's truly excellent.

Devilito
06-25-2009, 01:02 PM

w3rd: Oxygen, Life or BET :shock:

They can start showing WTA again when Graf, Evert and Navratilova come back

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I get DirecTV, and I've been no happier than right now, as DTV has a feature where I can watch six different matches at any given time. ESPN2 is a joke; sorry guys

LetFirstServe
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM

I didnt think that was that bad. The Williams match started first and Williams was almost up a set before Federer even started. If I remember correctly they then tuned into the Federer match when he was up 3-0 or 3-1 then turned back to see the end of Williams then focused on Federer to the end.

I was working today so I couldnt watch anything.

joeri888
06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
In this first days of the tournament I've only seen men's matches and women are olimpically ignored by the media.
Does this mean that the WTA is not anymore popular for the TV and that only starting with quarterfinals the women are important and covered?.Is female tennis irrelevant the first days?

I would love to have your coverage. Women's matches are shown way too much anyway

pennc94
06-25-2009, 02:16 PM
A 5-setter going on, but ESPN will show a taped match instead.

I think ESPN must assume that serious tennis fans (of which there are relatively few) are outnumbered by the number who would watch if a name player (i.e. a U.S. player ala Williams, Blake, Roddick, etc.) were televised. As such, ESPN must figure that the serious tennis fan who wants to watch a Cilic play, will go online to find a stream.

If tennis were a bigger draw in the U.S., then those other matches would be televised. Until then, ESPN has to go with the numbers and the assumption that the typical U.S. viewer will tune in if they can see either of the Williams.

marpiw
06-26-2009, 02:46 AM
You are very lucky for having seen some ladies on the court.I live in Israel and apparently the local TV is macho-oriented so they prefer macho-matches.And I dont know why,when they accept to broadcast a ladies match they seek some match played by Jancovich...Israeli television is fan of her for mysterious reasons....Yesterday, ESPN focused on S Williams and Sharapova over Djokovic and Federer. They even showed a female doubles' match today.

Fedexeon
06-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Haha. Aussie TV is showing alot of Sam Stosur and Lleyton Hewitt. @.@ At least they show Murray, Sharapova, Federer... little of Williams sisters.

dsa202
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't mind if they stopped coverage for womens tennis completely.

MarcRosset1992
06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Does not anyone have the IP rights in the US? In many countries they are marketed separately from broadcasting and therefore live streaming is pretty good

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-26-2009, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't mind if they stopped coverage for womens tennis completely.

..that applies to around 91% of the men's matches.

tenis
06-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I think ESPN must assume that serious tennis fans (of which there are relatively few) are outnumbered by the number who would watch if a name player (i.e. a U.S. player ala Williams, Blake, Roddick, etc.) were televised. As such, ESPN must figure that the serious tennis fan who wants to watch a Cilic play, will go online to find a stream.

If tennis were a bigger draw in the U.S., then those other matches would be televised. Until then, ESPN has to go with the numbers and the assumption that the typical U.S. viewer will tune in if they can see either of the Williams.

And what about 21 commentators? We need all of them right?

tacou
06-26-2009, 03:08 PM
I think ESPN has been good so far. full screen HD, live coverage all day and showing good matches.

WTA is not as fun to watch, announcers were practically laughing at Kirilenko/Wozniacki on centre court.

vbranis
06-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I think ESPN has been good so far. full screen HD, live coverage all day and showing good matches.

WTA is not as fun to watch, announcers were practically laughing at Kirilenko/Wozniacki on centre court.

I agree, ESPN has been decent so far, but why do they continue to show the Williams sisters playing doubles? They do it at every major. There's 4 and 5 set singles matches going on, and they show a 6-1 6-2 blowout WTA doubles match. That makes no sense to me or anyone else who actually knows beans about tennis.

teek
06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm just glad ESPN finally got rid of their giant scorebar and surprisingly they stop showing the ticker bar during matches. My HDTV feels much less insulted now.

imalil2gangsta4u
06-26-2009, 08:21 PM
w3rd: Oxygen, Life or BET :shock:

They can start showing WTA again when Graf, Evert and Navratilova come back

Ill send in a request to add the golf channel in there so you'll be happy ;)

robertk29
06-27-2009, 03:59 PM
yea, bring back Navratilova to the tour, anything to get her off the T.C. , the woman does not give her mouth a rest............

Joseph L. Barrow
06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
...You must not be an American. Here in the US, ESPN seems to prioritize the Williams sisters above all else, closely covering all of their matches, showing repeated replays and even frequently cutting to their doubles matches. The network even goes so far as to show taped replays of Williams matches to the exclusion of the live play of top male players. John McEnroe actually made fun of this on air on the Tennis Channel during the French Open, when one of the other announcers mentioned they would be going to ESPN to cover a top men's match, and McEnroe snickered, "Oh yeah- they're not going to show any of that Williams replay!"

They are nearly this intensely obsessed with Sharapova as well.

tacou
06-27-2009, 06:11 PM
...You must not be an American. Here in the US, ESPN seems to prioritize the Williams sisters above all else, closely covering all of their matches, showing repeated replays and even frequently cutting to their doubles matches. The network even goes so far as to show taped replays of Williams matches to the exclusion of the live play of top male players. John McEnroe actually made fun of this on air on the Tennis Channel during the French Open, when one of the other announcers mentioned they would be going to ESPN to cover a top men's match, and McEnroe snickered, "Oh yeah- they're not going to show any of that Williams replay!"

They are nearly this intensely obsessed with Sharapova as well.

I've yet to see a Williams match on TV. unfortunately, I have seen them playing doubles which is ridiculous. I mean really, who watches that?

pound cat
06-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't understand why people are still complaining about tennis coverage on TV when they show every court with a camera online all day long.

IvanAndreevich
06-27-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't understand why people are still complaining about tennis coverage on TV when they show every court with a camera online all day long.

People who paid for HDTV and aren't getting what they want, instead resorting to watching 500 kb/s feeds online?

ElSuegro
06-27-2009, 07:17 PM
And what about 21 commentators? We need all of them right?

We don't need Dick Enberg. It's a joke to see how long he can last before making a mistake. In Venus' match, it was only three games. He called Suarez Navarro "Sanchez Vicario".

jukka1970
06-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Well considering how bad the whole group of them has sucked lately, I wouldn't want it covered either. But there has been plenty of coverage here in the US on both. I find it ironic that it's now that the equal pay has gone through, at a time that the WTA is probably the worst it's ever been.

LetFirstServe
06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
It will be interesting to see what ESPN will cover tomorrow and how.

First matches: Federer (5x champ + top seed) on centre court vs Venus (Top seeded American woman) on court 1.

Second Matches: Djokovic on court 3 vs Serena on court 2

Third matches: Murray (Brit hopeful) on centre court vs Roddick (Top seeded American man) on court 1, also Hewitt on court 2.

I think women having best of 3 matches works well in the coverage for timing. Usually the secondary game you see the beginning and end.