PDA

View Full Version : Murray Fans

nikdom
06-25-2009, 12:48 PM
I was really surprised to watch a 13-yr-old boy Pam Shriver interviewed on the grounds saying something to effect of "he's not English so he's just ok with me". (If someone else watched the same segment on ESPN when Pam was among the crowd on the hill and heard the kid correctly, please post his exact words. I could barely recognize his English with the strong accent.)

If you're a fan of Murray, where are you from? (adding a poll here in a second)
Is him being a Scot a hindrance or boon for his popularity in all of Britain? (I don't think it matters elsewhere).

Finally, can you suggest one thing he do to improve his popularity. (Other than winning)

maximo
06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Im from England.

Being a Scot should have no effect on his popularity across Britain.

SempreSami
06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
I was really surprised to watch a 13-yr-old boy Pam Shriver interviewed on the grounds saying something to effect of "he's not English so he's just ok with me". (If someone else watched the same segment on ESPN when Pam was among the crowd on the hill and heard the kid correctly, please post his exact words. I could barely recognize his English with the strong accent.)

If you're a fan of Murray, where are you from? (adding a poll here in a second)
Is him being a Scot a hindrance or boon for his popularity in all of Britain? (I don't think it matters elsewhere).

Finally, can you suggest one thing he do to improve his popularity. (Other than winning)

People like that in England are morons, if they're not ok with someone from the same damn island as them, why do they like anyone from the continent?

VivalaVida
06-25-2009, 01:07 PM
People like that in England are morons, if they're not ok with someone from the same damn island as them, why do they like anyone from the continent?
I agree completely.

DarthFed
06-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Basically she said

"what do you think of Murray"

The kid said

"he's not english so it doesn't matter"

SempreSami
06-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Basically she said

"what do you think of Murray"

The kid said

"he's not english so it doesn't matter"

He needn't bother turning up to Wimbledon past the third day then.

joeri888
06-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Do you support any european player ALWAYS if he plays an american? No? How can you not support someone who's a part of the same semi-federal government the European Union, or is just from the same continent?

If you feel England is not the same as Scotland and you feel English instead of British I can completely understand that you do not specifically like Murray for his nationality. Since he hasn't got the most exciting game of all time I would think there's plenty of reason for a Londoner to like Federer or Nadal over Murray.

jimbo333
06-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm British definitely!!!

Guru
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I like Murray and i would like to see him win Wimbledon
Nadal was my favorite but now he's not around il be rooting for Andy.

pricey_aus
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm from Australia and Murray is my favourite player.

SempreSami
06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Do you support any european player ALWAYS if he plays an american? No? How can you not support someone who's a part of the same semi-federal government the European Union, or is just from the same continent?

If you feel England is not the same as Scotland and you feel English instead of British I can completely understand that you do not specifically like Murray for his nationality. Since he hasn't got the most exciting game of all time I would think there's plenty of reason for a Londoner to like Federer or Nadal over Murray.

Probably arseholes on corporate jollies liking the one they see in Rolex ads.

Winners or Errors
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM

I don't know. Centuries of brutal repression? Invasion? Etc. I'm sure most of that's vanished at this point, but don't Scotland (and Wales, and Northern Ireland) still field their own World Cup football teams? Interesting that there's no British side...

You're English, right?

SempreSami
06-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't know. Centuries of brutal repression? Invasion? Etc. I'm sure most of that's vanished at this point, but don't Scotland (and Wales, and Northern Ireland) still field their own World Cup football teams? Interesting that there's no British side...

You're English, right?

World Cup? Those three haven't qualified for a World Cup in years.

He's represented Great Britain in the Davis Cup, HASN'T HE?

Winners or Errors
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
He's represented Great Britain in the Davis Cup, HASN'T HE?

That wasn't the point. It was the kid picked out of the crowd who said something to the effect of... "He's not English, so he's OK with me." We're not debating Murray's British-ness here.

(Posted prior to your edit: not the point, that they haven't contended. In fact, may even prove the point regarding English dominance of the British Isles.)

SempreSami
06-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Or just that England are slightly better than them.

DarthFed
06-25-2009, 06:35 PM
That wasn't the point. It was the kid picked out of the crowd who said something to the effect of... "He's not English, so he's OK with me." We're not debating Murray's British-ness here.

(Posted prior to your edit: not the point, that they haven't contended. In fact, may even prove the point regarding English dominance of the British Isles.)

No he said he isn't english so he doesn't matter, it wasn't a positive statement

Tennis_Bum
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
No he said he isn't english so he doesn't matter, it wasn't a positive statement

Well, it might matter when and if he won Wimbledon. That's a big IF.

Winners or Errors
06-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks. Misread. Of course, that whole English-Welsh-Scottish-Irish thing is still there, regardless of which way the conversation went.