PDA

View Full Version : Andy Roddick's next coach should be Andre Agassi

tvp900
06-25-2009, 03:27 PM
If/when Roddick learns all he can from Stefanki, he should hire Agassi:

1. They are already friends and Andre knows Roddick's game well.

2. Stefanki and Roddick himself have said that he needs to win more return games and break serve more often if he's going to do well in the slams against the big players. Agassi has near-perfect returns.

3. Agassi has a flat forehand and, as we all know, Roddick's is a little loopy. Again, if he wants to win more, he needs a flatter forehand.

4. Agassi was coached by Brad Gilbert and must have some knowledge of how he coaches and people say that firing Gilbert was the worst thing Roddick ever did, so why not have the next best thing - a player coached by him for many years.

dadozen
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Isn't Stefanki coaching Gonzalez anymore?

tvp900
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Isn't Stefanki coaching Gonzalez anymore?

No. He's been coaching Roddick since the start of the year.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Stick a fork in Andy - he's done.

PascalMariaFan
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Agassi is an aggressive, strategic baseliner.
Roddick is a junkballer.

PascalMariaFan
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Roddick doesn't have the strokes to be a productive baseliner, and he's too old to make technical changes.

angharad
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure how effective Agassi would be as a coach, in all honesty. It seems like great players don't generally make good coaches (although I'm not sure how much Connors did for Roddick's game, so I could be off).

drakulie
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I vote for Nadal_Freak to be his next coach, and Fedace to take care of the mental aspect of his game.

NamRanger
06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure how effective Agassi would be as a coach, in all honesty. It seems like great players don't generally make good coaches (although I'm not sure how much Connors did for Roddick's game, so I could be off).

Connors gave Roddick his confidence back. Connors really couldn't offer too much technical advice, but he did give Roddick back the confidence and competitive fire that he needed.

Stefanki is now the technical coach that Roddick needs. He's been working on attacking from the baseline; that's obvious if you've been watching him lately.

EtePras
06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Roddick is still the same pusher as ever, maybe even less powerful than before. If Connors and Stefanki couldn't change that, Agassi sure won't.

FD3S
06-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Roddick is still the same pusher as ever, maybe even less powerful than before. If Connors and Stefanki couldn't change that, Agassi sure won't.

I'm still baffled at how you think Roddick is a pusher.

deltox
06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see the roddick haters on this forum week after week, yet after nearly a decade of pro tennis he still sits among the best in the game.

i find the thoughts on roddick to be most amusing.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see the roddick haters on this forum week after week, yet after nearly a decade of pro tennis he still sits among the best in the game.

i find the thoughts on roddick to be most amusing.

Best pusher in the game. Does have a great serve though.

Cenc
06-26-2009, 12:31 AM
roddick needs a magician, not a person in order to learn to rally

RCizzle65
06-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Best pusher in the game. Does have a great serve though.

That's funny, most people say Roddick's ground stokes suck, but he's a pusher, what?
Unless your post was being sarcastic....

nn
06-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Still my tennis friends and hitting partner don't like Roddick. But I have to agree that he is trying hard and remains solid top 10 for so long is no joke. Even for us to play 4-5 days of hard tennis takes a lot and they do it for so long.

I am not saying he is great but pretty good. If he was not from US people might have different look because US had some great great player in past so Roddick looks pathetic to him.

He has final chance to do damage in slams with new coach otherwise it is too late forever and he knows that unless he shows mental weakness which nobody can teach you much..

joeri888
06-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Stick a fork in Andy - he's done.

I hope you mean Andy Murray;) Roddick will win one more slam.
He should stay with Stefanski. They're doing really well. Roddick's got a good shot to end the year in the top 5. I think Agassi, if he's got the ambition to become a coach, should rather go coach a young gun than Andy Roddick. Andy has the name and fame to get a good coach anyway. Agassi should try to elevate the game of American youngsters.

Sir Andrew of Roddick
06-26-2009, 04:06 AM
I vote for Nadal_Freak to be his next coach, and Fedace to take care of the mental aspect of his game.

I second this.

Stewball55
06-26-2009, 04:14 AM
That would be really cool...but prob wont happen....Agassi has already got alot on his plate with his family, foundation, etc....

valiant
06-26-2009, 04:27 AM

You dont want federer to lose. Do you.:cry:

Blade0324
06-26-2009, 06:47 AM

What a foolish comment. I'm no Roddick fan but he is anything but a pusher. You must be watching a different person then I.

ElSuegro
06-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Interesting idea, but I don't see it happening, with Agassi's busy life, and Roddick's success with Stefanki. However, I think they they are close friends, probably talk often, and discuss strategy, kind of like an unpaid coaching relationship.