PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!tournament tomorrow and just got tennis elbow...in both elbows.

SmAsH999
06-25-2009, 03:30 PM
the title says it all.not bad enough to withdraw, but now i'm like a hacker when it gets bad. i'm a 1 seed, but i won't play anywhere near my level if this comes back tomorrow. what to do?! please respond.

-Smash

nCode747
06-25-2009, 03:34 PM
When in a tournament you don't feel pain. Only after the match.

Booyah
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM
yeah when you are in the moment you won't feel it at all. just trust your shots and don't make excuses during the match because of the pain. If you think about it, you are going to lose. you will be fine.

SmAsH999
06-25-2009, 03:41 PM
alright, thanks guys. hopefully i can and will pull through.

volkl-viper
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Smash.

About 18 months ago I developed what I think was tennis elbow. A throbbing pain in the upper part of my forearm that flared up when I attempted to grip ANYTHING stuff.

I think I developed it as a result of continuing to use a none too arm friendly racquet/string setup despite my age (46). For 15 years I'd been playing with a ProStaff 85 strung in the low to mid 60's.

Anyways...I've since switched to a Volkl DNX 9 and my arm feels great. Something else which I found very beneficial during that period and which I have continued to use was a product called Penetrex. I was told about it by my racket stringer who had heard good things about it. I really feel that this stuff is amazing and am surprised it's not better known.

No, I don't work for the company...just passing along a little feedback. Take it for what it's worth.

SmAsH999
06-25-2009, 04:50 PM
wow, great advice volkl-viper. thanks. tomorrow morning i'm going to the local shop to pick up a more arm friendly racket. which do you think would be better: exo3 rebel or m-gel radical mid+?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-25-2009, 05:22 PM
You really need to take a break. Don't play a tournament when you could hurt your elbows really bad. Kinda like Rafa: he played through it before, but now they hurt him when it's time to play the tournament he wants to win the most.

volkl-viper
06-25-2009, 06:31 PM
can't really shed light on the 2 rackets you mentioned. i just know that i spent over a year trying to replace my PS85 and tried probably a hundred rackets. i finally settled on the volkl dnx 9 because it felt much like the PS85 but was lighter and easier on my arm. can you demo a volkl at your local shop?

tennismom42
06-25-2009, 09:18 PM
600 mg MOTRIN (aka Ibuprophen), 3 times per day for 10 days

not, Advil, not naproxen sodium, not Tylenol, not 7 days.

The Ibu. for 10 days gets the inflamation down long enough to let your body heal itself.

If you follow it correctly & you still have pain, stop playing!

And, of course, no one here is your doctor, so go see your doctor.

SmAsH999
06-26-2009, 03:11 AM
okay, thanks, tennismom. i'll go get some this morning. and no, i can't demo volkl rackets at the local shop. btw, would 600 mg be okay for me to take if i'm 14, 5 foot 6, and 124 lbs?

tennismsands
06-26-2009, 04:26 AM
wow, great advice volkl-viper. thanks. tomorrow morning i'm going to the local shop to pick up a more arm friendly racket. which do you think would be better: exo3 rebel or m-gel radical mid+?

definately the m-gel radical mid+

amx13
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
The MG Radical MP is very soft, but I wouldnt change racquets with a tournament just around the corner (much less with a day or to to get used to the new frame feeling and all) It can really mess up your game. What racquet/string set up are you using right now? Maybe softer strings and lower tension will help you for the up-coming tournament, (natural gut maybe?) and after that you can start demoing some frames to make the best choice (not a rushed one).

For example, I played for a while with the MG Radical MP, since my iPrestige MP was making my elbow really sore. I ended up re-stringing the iPrestige using Tecnifibe X1 Biphase at the the mains and Luxilon alu rough on the crosses and the frame feel a lot softer than with the same set up, but with alu on the mains and X1 on the crosses.

On the other hand, I would recommend doing some wrist-stretching before you play, and putting some ice right at the pain area after you play. (The ibopruphen will help you also)

Theres a couple of devices that can help you. I have tried some of them. I didnt like the forearm straps, but I found one that I really liked. Its called "Shock Absorber" from Tenex. You put it on your wrist (like a watch). Its a great device IMO

SmAsH999
06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
well, my match was postponed due to rain, so i play tomorrow morning at 8:45. and amx13, ii've hit with the m-gel mid+ quite a few times, so i'm pretty comfortable with it. i plan to ice my elbow tonight and tomorrow morning, and take ibopruphen about an hour before my match starts.

tennismom42
06-26-2009, 03:21 PM
well, my match was postponed due to rain, so i play tomorrow morning at 8:45. and amx13, ii've hit with the m-gel mid+ quite a few times, so i'm pretty comfortable with it. i plan to ice my elbow tonight and tomorrow morning, and take ibopruphen about an hour before my match starts.
no less than an hour before the match. Once my son took it as the match started & he got really, really dizzy.

As for the doseage, I am not a doctor. The bottle says >12 years old and you should be able to handle it for your height & weight. If you're nervous about it, take a little less or call your pediatrician to verify it. The nurse will tell you. The main point is taking it for 10 days straight!

star 5 15
06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Go with heat before and ice after you play. If you ice before it will just makes things worse.

DownTheLine
06-26-2009, 05:47 PM
First off, why would you switch to a new stick the morning before a tournament? Not to be a *****, but that's a terrible idea and i HIGHLY doubt a #1 seed would do that, unless you have a cake walk for the championship...
Second I'm not a doctor but icing it or heating it would help and i also think some "Sports creme" or other products would works fine. O wait try BIO-Freeze(Amazing stuff).

Tennismom made a great point and that should help you along with the extra day due to the rain delay.

When you were hitting today did you feel it?
Did the "tennis elbow" problem just show up yesterday?

stanfordtennis alum
06-26-2009, 06:21 PM
dont play... just ice it and rest it

SmAsH999
06-27-2009, 07:49 AM
well, i won my match 6-2, 2-6, 8-6 (tiebreaker) after fighting off 2 match points. My arm is now feeling better, but the pain was not fun in my match. not to make excuses, cause he's a good player, but i didn't play to my full potential as i usually play. i play again @ 3PM today. The kid I'm playing I've hit with before, and if I play better i can win. not overlooking this match, though. the way i'm playing, no match, no set, no opponent can be overlooked...

1st seed alldayy
06-27-2009, 09:16 AM
nice
u showed him whos boss

tennismom42
06-27-2009, 08:39 PM
well, i won my match 6-2, 2-6, 8-6 (tiebreaker) after fighting off 2 match points. My arm is now feeling better, but the pain was not fun in my match. not to make excuses, cause he's a good player, but i didn't play to my full potential as i usually play. i play again @ 3PM today. The kid I'm playing I've hit with before, and if I play better i can win. not overlooking this match, though. the way i'm playing, no match, no set, no opponent can be overlooked...
Ice & keep up with the IBU. Drop out of dubs, if you're in them.

SmAsH999
06-29-2009, 02:18 AM
in semifinals, got bad pain in my elbow from the get go, couldn't hit a forehand, lost 6-2, 1-0 (ret), which kinda sucks because I've beaten this kid 6-1 or so before.

makinao
06-29-2009, 03:21 AM
That's tough, but injuries are a fact of life. You can now imagine what pros have to deal with every day of the year. Now you can rest, visit your doctor, and rehab yourself.

SmAsH999
06-29-2009, 12:53 PM
That's tough, but injuries are a fact of life. You can now imagine what pros have to deal with every day of the year. Now you can rest, visit your doctor, and rehab yourself.

that's the plan. and should i string my k6.1 team with x1 biphase or gamma synthetic gut for when i get back? opinions are welcome.