PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Slams to Players?

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey guys,

In the Safin/Hewitt thread, a few people chimed in that since Wimbledon is a more prestigious tournament than the Australian Open, Hewitt has had a better career. (That wasn't the only qualification talked about, but a big factor for some posters)

That got me thinking (and I apologize if this is a repeat of something that has been discussed in the past)...

If you asked players what Slams they care about the most (for the most part, I understand there are exceptions to everything, but for the most part), what do you think they would say?

Do you think *the majority* of them would say something like:

1. Wimbledon
2. U.S. Open
3. French Open
4. Australian Open

or might it be

1. Wimbledon
2. French Open
3. U.S. Open
4. Australian Open

???

And don't just say it depends where you're from---that's a copout. We're going for what players would say *for the most part*

angharad
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. French Open
3. U.S. Open
4. Australian Open

This looks pretty close to me. I do think it depends a bit on where you're from - any player from Great Britain, France, the US, or Australia would want to win their home slam. Growing up on a certain surface - like clay - might influence your feelings towards a specific slam, also.

GraniteHoosier
06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I think Wimbledon would be first according to most. My guess is that the French and USO would be about even and the AO would be a distant last. I think the fact that it is virtually the first tournament of the season doesn't help.

BullDogTennis
06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
australian
us open
french open
wimbledon

those would be from last to first. :)

TennisNinja
06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah as far as importance Wimbledon is always first and the AO last. However I think a lot of players enjoy playing at the USO the most.

FedFan_2009
06-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Nah, Australian Open is best.

T1000
06-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Wimbledon is almost always first
Then the one the player likes next (i.e. clay courters value the french while americans want the uso and aussies want the ao

jamesblakefan#1
06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I think some of the Spaniards and South Americans put the French over Wimbledon. Not all of them, but the ones who grew up playing on clay. AO is definetly the last either way. For Americans, the French is still 3rd, even tho we suck on it. Wimbledon is 1st for most everybody except as I said, some Spaniards and Frenchmen. French definetly put the FO 1st. Interesting since Aussies dont put the AO 1st and Americans don't put the USO ahead of Wimbledon.

joeri888
06-25-2009, 09:48 PM
1. Wimbledon
Huge gap
2/3 Roland Garros and US Open
Huge gap
Australian Open

MarcRosset1992
06-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I think some of the Spaniards and South Americans put the French over Wimbledon. Not all of them, but the ones who grew up playing on clay. AO is definetly the last either way. For Americans, the French is still 3rd, even tho we suck on it. Wimbledon is 1st for most everybody except as I said, some Spaniards and Frenchmen. French definetly put the FO 1st. Interesting since Aussies dont put the AO 1st and Americans don't put the USO ahead of Wimbledon.

For all Spaniards, other South Europeans and South Americans, Roland Garros will definitely be #1. Until a few years ago, there was no Wimbledon
TV coverage in Spain, Italy or Argentina.

Also, I think most pros, even among the Anglos will agree that the crowds and the officials at the FO are the most knowledgeable about tennis generally.

All-rounder
06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Wimbledon
US open
Australian Open
French Open

Lotto
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Well, it depends on what player of course.

It would be different if you asked Federer then Nadal or Nadal then Roddick.

It's hard to tell. If you asked Federer now I would say he'd say:

1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. Australian Open
4. French Open

I'd say he'd say Wimbledon, US and Aussie just so he can win the Aussie one last time seen as he's won RG already.

thejoe
06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Wimbledon
French
US
Aus