PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova '04

gopokes
06-25-2009, 09:13 PM
How would her game in '04 stack up to this year's field? She beat Serena that year, and I can't convince myself that Serena is better in '09 than in '04. What gives?
GP

thalivest
06-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Serena isnt better in 2009 than 2004 but the 2004 Wimbledon final she played a pretty bad match, much worse than her usual either then or now. Maria also doesnt usually play as well as the 2004 Wimbledon final even in her prime years, it was one of her best matches ever and one even if she returns to top form will rarely duplicate. Serena also probably underestimated Maria's fast improvement and her game, but since that match has figured her and her patterns out alot more. So even if Maria returns to top form you wont see the 2004 Wimbledon final duplicated much between them if ever. Any win Maria has over Serena will be hard fought. The only one killing he other will be if Serena wins.

Guru
06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
She was lucky to win that Slam in my opinion
she played the best match of her life in the final.

Saying that she beat Serena again in the WTA Championship Final

But i think Sharapova was at her best towards the end of 2007
and the start of 2008. She won the Australian Open
and reached the final in Madrid's WTA Championship Final
Giving Henin (who was at her best) a very tough match.

jamesblakefan#1
06-25-2009, 09:20 PM
She'd probably be 3rd favorite at Wimby behind the Williamses. She still wouldn't be favored to beat either, tho.

joeri888
06-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Serena isnt better in 2009 than 2004 but the 2004 Wimbledon final she played a pretty bad match, much worse than her usual either then or now. Maria also doesnt usually play as well as the 2004 Wimbledon final even in her prime years, it was one of her best matches ever and one even if she returns to top form will rarely duplicate. Serena also probably underestimated Maria's fast improvement and her game, but since that match has figured her and her patterns out alot more. So even if Maria returns to top form you wont see the 2004 Wimbledon final duplicated much between them if ever. Any win Maria has over Serena will be hard fought. The only one killing he other will be if Serena wins.
I always have trouble understanding how you can underestimate someone in a WIMBLEDON FINAL.

cuddles26
06-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I always have trouble understanding how you can underestimate someone in a WIMBLEDON FINAL.

Probably because she lucked out to even be there. Barely getting past someone like Sugiyama in the quarters, and being destroyed in the semis vs Davenport before the rain delay.

Mashafun
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
interesting thought... Me thinks that if sharapova has played this year, as good as she was playing in 2004, she would move to the semis, but i don't think it is clear that she would beat serena... not at all. ;)

anointedone
07-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Well keep in mind how Maria reached the final in 2004. An aging Sugiyama in the quarters, a solid veteran player but pretty much a dream draw for a Wimbledon quarterfinal, she still so barely won a very tough 3 setter. Then in the semis being killed by Davenport before the rain delay, so really what easily could have been a 6-2, 6-2 win, and Lindsay had a big reputation for choking in the big matches ever since mid 2000 by that point. So I can understand Serena underestimating her.